How come nobody really understands the point of X-Men?

How come nobody really understands the point of X-Men?

most people just watch the movies

What, that the normal human people who push for registration are completely fucking right to ask that the people who control lightning and have portals to the fucking laser dimension in their eyes be monitored to make sure nobody fucking dies?

fuck off libtard

Registration is a sensible thing for the government to demand

Registration is also a sensible thing for mutants to want to avoid.

Cause unless your government is run by Jesus Christ himself the registration is either going to lead to persecution or added on bullshit to make your life worse.

Everyone knows Wolverine created the X-Men because some guys were hunting kids or something.

I miss 30 Rock, and Parks & Rec.

Go back to Sup Forums basement dwelling incel.

>Fighting to protect a world that hates and fears them

fucking dumb

>the point of X-men
Are we talking about a book that was invented to discuss issues of race and sexuality not just before talking about race and sexuality was cool but way back when it was actively banned?
Or are we talking about a group of superhumans who band together and do good in the hope they might set an example for two species living and facing the future in harmony? Because those are two separate issues.
The irony being they share the same answer; People are stupid.

X-men is about being a teenager, user.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is a damn good spiritual successor to those shows

>allegory for racism
>they're all pretty much white except Storm.

>Neal Adams at the big 2 after 1995
>Canon

That's because the originally were an allegory for the physically and mentally disabled as well as the deformed.

I’m long time X-fag and it surprises how few Black American mutants there is in the X-Books, everyone knows Storm but the rest?

There is more Native American mutants than Blacks:

Thunderbird
Warpath
Forge
Moonstar

>There is more Native American mutants than Blacks:

Also Silver Fox

Bishop
Sunspot
Monet
Darwin
Maggott

And there's students like
Synch
Prodigy
Oya

Bishop and his sister are Australian Aborigines, I’m norm kidding. Look it up.

Even his art looks like shit nowadays.
It's so depressing to see the greats fall down like that.

What, to be a stand in for [insert marginalized group here] ?

I could have sworn that Storm was his grandmother and she helped raise him in the Mutant Concentration Camps

Because there's no point. Real people don't do this kinds of things, be they negroes, homosexuals or whatever. Metaphor doesn't work.

And people who write pro-mutant stories are probably in support of gun control.

This. Sure, Miss Lightning hands can get registered, but mister "can hover two feet off the ground." probably dosen't want to. Especially since, every other year, the goverment goes from 'I love mutants" to "we're hiring sentinels to kill them all."

Because they were selling these books to white kids. Same reason most of big musicians stole from black music forms and made it their own. Fucking Elvis.

>or added on bullshit to make your life worse.
Like what, accountability for your actions?

Despite their inclusive social message, X-Men (like most teams) have always been predominantly white with the token black and asian characters here and there.

Psylocke is a white British woman in a Asian body.

Because the point has been so bloated out of proportion since the 60s that it's lost all meaning.

THE POINT was never anything more than just some vague motivation and justification to be superheroes a la their "With great power comes great responsibility" and then off to punch bad guys with their eyes.

>people rejected from society
>they're all very pretty and fit

Are you trying to say conservatives wouldn't want to register mutants or are you just baiting

>i'm a fucking retard hurrrggtthht

its almost as if comic books have historically been tailored to white teenagers.

being pretty and fit don't overwhelm being an abomination of nature

>being pretty and fit makes up for giant robots trying to kill you at random intervals no where where on the planet you go

It would be nice if the X-Men comics would actually explore the moral dilemma of normal people wanting to keep mutants accountable and mutants fearing persecution.

Instead it's just a "le ebil, rayciss goyim tryin' to shoah the chosen ones" allegory over and over again.

No fucking wonder barely anyone reads the X-Men nowadays.

OK so how about this
Mutants are registered, but the only immediate consequence is a power evaluation to determine the potential threat of each mutants' powers.
People with harmless, low level mutations are noted down but not monitored, their mutation amounting to little more than an extra line on their medical record.
Those with potentially dangerous mutations are given training and support to help them maintain a safe everyday life, but will also receive a degree of surveillance to ensure nothing bad happens.
This is funded by a tax on nonmutants, as it's a government service intended to keep them safe and happy.

yeah, basically this. "the point" has been so all over the place, and often massively contradictory, there is no point anymore.

Main character is a mutant with a powerful but useless in normal life power(like pyrokinesis) who tries to cheat the system and be filed under the "low-level".
You can explore how fucked up and unwieldy a newly implemented government system can be.
Main plotline revolves around our character trying to find a job. Maybe he has a youtube channel with a patreon where he creates cool fire effects and shit.
It ends with him joining the fire department.

Sooo..Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. listing?

Honestly, mutants should be completely changing society just in how it looks at people and treats people, and invoke a lot more respect (perhaps tinged with fear, sure, but that should just imply responsibility). Can you imagine the risk of bullying a kid if there was a chance he might snap and suddenly he's throwing fucking cars at you with his mind in a blind rage? Or if it's a Hulk-like mutant, where getting him angry/afraid enough results in a hulkout and then the stupid kid who pushed him over the line is technically also responsible for all the shit he ruined? Or what happens if you have a mutant who can reshape bones? Brilliant in hospitals. Or just take away pain, which would be incredible for people who have trouble with anaesthetic.

But no, mutants have to be outcast and nobody ever learns that bullying a kid who might suddenly shoot laser beams at you out of his eyes is not the smartest thing to do.

I just can't get on with the lead, I find him obnoxious and annoying. I like the rest of the cast though, Captain Holt is fantastic.

Correct me if i'm wrong but

x-men loosely based on the doom patrol

doom patrol is about rejection from society

in a way, tina fey is actually more right than Sup Forums and is just a hardcore doom patrol fan but doesn't want to show her power level

Maybe that's cause usa is a white country? That's like complaining that Hogwarts is full of brits.

Was the idea of being voluntary test subjects ever brought up in the comics? It seems like the only time people talk about learning about mutants is by having them imprisoned and enslaved and shit.

I could see him becoming a special effects guy for low budget movies for a while

>be registered mutant
>govt wanted you to join 'top secret program' and you cant refuse because its part of 'procedure' or else you outlaw
>they're drugged you, put you on a table and start 'the procedure'
>keep you imprison because its part of 'procedure'
>cant do shit because drug
>they told your family that you're working on 'important mission'
>died on operating table after they get something they want from your body
>they told your family that you're MIA

Are you stupid or is this bait?

logan was government agent until they kidnapped and experimented on him

Sometimes life's a bitch.
>get a bad roll on the ol' genetic lottery
>die a horrible painful death at age 10 from hereditary disease

sure mr. government

>that page
What happened next? Does manthing feel them up

That's not true at all. The Xmen were simply to represent any groups facing discrimination based off external or internal factors. Why do you think there are mutants that look normal and can blend into society as long as they don't show their "true self" to the public? They're an allegory for anyone who has something internally different from the norm, like mental illness or sexuality, but hide it so they can blend in with everyone else.

X-Men will never make sense because Magneto is not a villain and the X-Men are not heroes.

>Mutants are registered
Here's the first invasion of privacy
>Power evaluation to determine threat levels
Here is the first arbitrary determination that will be used to persecute people
>Those with dangerous mutations are given training and support
Sounds like an involuntary military draft, and even worse a burden on taxpayers.
>Degree of surveillance
There's the 2nd invasion of privacy that will inevitably expand like all surveillance apparatus have in the past.
>This is funded by a tax on nonmutants
Discriminatory taxation forcing people to pay for you to kidnap and surveil their friends and family
>Intended to keep people safe and happy
That will do neither of those things.

>>Mutants are registered
>Here's the first invasion of privacy
Would a note on medical records be better? Doctor-patient confidentiality protects those and a government agency would need a court order to break past it, so if that's the way it was registered I can't imagine it being too much of an issue.

Just handing it over to the government is another thing entirely, which is where all the problems begin.

I don't think mutants can be treated like regular people. Normal human laws don't really account for superpowers.

Sure they do, they're just normally filed under "use of deadly force", "manslaughter" and the various degrees of murder.

Wait, isn't that a DC character?

Individual rights are a mistake and you don't deserve them.

Treat them like pedophiles.

Nah, that's Swamp thing.

That doesn’t sound comparable since there a tons of cases of mutants power activating uncontrollable. Also a lot of these power are the like equivalent of a person walking around with an illegal weapon. And there’s dealing with power that can’t really be seen like telepathy or telekinesis.

That makes sense since their powers are related to heredity.

Please tell me they ended up bringing the frog to Iron Man.

Bishop used to be Black, back before Claremont decided to make hin Aborigine instead.

Maggot was black. Synch, M, Bling!, Sunspot was Afro-Brazilian ebough to get flack for it.

Very few of them are Black and American, though

Man I'd watch it but I cannot suffer through Andy Samberg.

Does she mean The Morlocks?

The x men are mainstream super heroes living in a gorgeous Westchester community. They have their own country, their own media, they're invited to the United Nations and meet the president.

Yeah, Claremont retconned that away and made him related to Gateway instead.

Thunderbird shouldn't count for much, I mean he was alive for about two seconds

OH GOD I WANNA IMPREGNATE TINA FEY SO BAD

The Morlocks are a bunch of homeless people who decided it'd be better to live in a sewer for the small cost of a sadistic fleshsculptor making them so hideous they can't interact with normal society than it would be to save up for a bus ticket to Westchester.

Holy fuck

You have to be fit when fuvking giant ronots from the goverment try to kill you.

Has sunspot always been Black? Wasn't he just Hispanic Brazillian?

Afro-Brazilian. In his origin he experienced racism for his dark skin

Bishop was supposed to be filipino

Goddamn i miss RIGHTCLOPS

Storm is an aberration and her being born in Manhattan is Bullshit. I hate everything about the forces that made her an African American but whatever. The real issue is Dani Moonstar has more appearances than every African American woman who isn't storm combined and perhaps twice as many as team member as most AA women are students or villains, looking at you Frenzy Bear.

I never understood why there couldn't exist some mddle ground for mutant registration between the common "put a tracking chip and shock collar on every mutie from birth" over the top registrartion usually called for in the comics and the xmen's "No mutant has ever done anything wrong ever dey wuz gud bois we dont need no registration at all" attitude.

Like what if when a kid first develops their powers either their school or their doctor have them demonstrate them privately and mark what they are onto a sealed record which can be made available on request by the police should they ever run afoul of the law with hefty punishments put in place should those records be accessed for any reason that is not considered legally sufficient, and except in those situations the kid is free to live their lives unmolested.

the POINT was that Stan Lee was sick of thinking up origin stories so created people born with powers then did some hamfisted social commentary to use as an excuse for them to fight other people with powers

Considering Sentinels can detect the X-gene from hundreds of yards away and can scan entire crowds in seconds, all they'd really need to do is set up some kind of detector in a hospital and check newborns. After that it's just waiting a couple of years to puberty and seeing what happens.

How exactly does being a registered mutant put you at any more of a disadvantage of any regular citizen?
It's not like the government doesn't have the names of every other person living in the country and where they live at/where the work/their blood type/criminal and medical records/ and educational history/and all of their digital communications.
Getting kidnapped by the government isn't something unique to mutants.

Because in the MU the government is constantly infiltrated by various subversive organizations. I wouldn't trust the MU government with my phone number, much less sensitive personal information.

>Here's the first invasion of privacy
Govenment has access to pretty much all info on everyone in the country including their medical histories.
>Not a problem
>Government also knows what powers mutant citizens have
>THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
So mutants get special treatment?

Mutants would be a nightmare for law enforcement.
>Dispatch: We have a robbery in progress at the first national bank subject is armed and dangerous, suspect is a confirmed mutant, all units be advised
>Cop: What kind of mutant? Are we talking glowing in the dark and talking to animals or like the kind that can blow up a building with their thoughts?
>Dispatch: All we know is that the suspect is a mutant
>Cops are now panicking and are either about to end up in a dangerous suicidal attempt to stop omega level mutant or are going to use potentially excessive force bringing down some dumbass low level criminal whose only power is that he can hear ultra high frequency noises.

Meanwhile a simple registry that says what a persons powers are harms nobody but potentially saves lives.
>BUT MUH ROUNDUPS IN FEMA CAMPS
The government already has info on every person living in the country how is this one addition going to make things worse?

>in the hope they might set an example for two species living and facing the future in harmony

Our racial gated community protected by a professionally trained private milita that has access to military hardware, intelligence and firepower comparable to a major global nuke-having player will teach you about the superior (us) and the inferiour (you) co-existing in harmony.

>Sentinels
I was putting aside sentinels and assuming we were talking about an MU where people aren't crazy anti mutant strawmen.
>Some people in the world are developing superpowers when they reach puberty, how should we respond to this?
>An army of giant killer death robots?

The government has a bunch of restrictions on what it can and cannot access legally. Besides that, the power creep with mutants would mean that they'd be forced to undergo constant monitoring to keep the registration information pertinent. Just look at Jean Grey, when she started out she could lift one or two small items at a time, now she can forcibly control people's bodily functions and mindrape with the best of them. It'd mean that any power that could possibly construed as threatening would meet the maximum possible force available. The simple fact of the matter is that most mutant represent as much of a threat to law enforcement as humans, and the MU government has already sent out killer robots to round up mutants and put them in camps/kill them.

Hi, we're the Avengers. We're a government affiliated superhuman team whose members include a lot of people more powerful than most of your militia, backed by years of combat experience and access to military hardware, intelligence, and firepower comparable to a major global nuclear power, several of those powers, in fact.

>Brazilians
>white

Even setting aside the Sentinels as a concept, the MU clearly has the technology to easily detect mutants, mutates, Inhumans, and aliens easily. As for the second post, we get constant plots about how HYDRA or Secret Empire or Roxxon has hijacked American government entities for their own use. Even if we assume the MU isn't full of anti-mutant strawmen, its governments are incredibly weak and corrupt.

They never made sense in 616 to me because they live in a universe where superheroes are common place. They aren't abnormal by any means.

>uncontrollable
Which means it's an accident, which is manslaughter. We have laws for this.
>Also a lot of these power are the like equivalent of a person walking around with an illegal weapon
No it isn't. The only difference between an illegal weapon and a legal weapon is a word on a piece of legislation. Mutants aren't illegal (well, they are in quite a few X-Men continuities but that's not the point here). Whether you consider them weapons or not is irrelevant considering having a weapon is perfectly fine, reasonable and legal (unless you're in some backwards state/country).
>telepathy or telekinesis
There are many crimes that are almost ephemeral. There is no physical entity of consent or intent, but those two things are still important parts of determining if a crime has occurred. Though, telepathy or telekinesis wouldn't necessarily be illegal, it's just an advanced form of eavesdropping and persuasion.

It also makes very little sense as to why mutants are automatically despised while other superhumans are liked.

I mean, what stops a mutant teenager who's manifested his powers from passing them off as science accidents or magic or radiation accidents or whatever? If he kept them reasonably quiet, didn't make major headlines, and didn't obviously do anything to get the Sentinels on him, how the fuck are people going to know the difference?

And on that, what's the difference between a mutant who gets their powers from mutation in the X-gene and somebody who gets their powers from mutation in response to science accidents like the F4? Both are unnatural.

Now I'm imagining there's some European country in the MU where mutant rights vs registration reached a happy compromise decades ago, and they just quietly shake their heads every time they get news about the situation in the States. Probably Switzerland.

The UK. Registration only happens if you want to use your powers for personal or public gain, criminals get their powers registered, and all heroes are under the jurisdiction of MI:13 even if they operate independently.

thats latveria, fool.

>latveria
>rights
They don't have rights, they have indulgences granted to them by the benevolent mercy of DOOM.

you never read civil war?

>Govenment has access to pretty much all info on everyone in the country including their medical histories.
>Not a problem

are you fucking stupid? Yes it is a problem in real life

Is Sup Forums familiar with Japanese moe relationships, where socially dysfunctional men develop deep emotional attachments to body pillows?