Been a while since last time. There's a few questions I didn't have time to answer, so here goes

Been a while since last time. There's a few questions I didn't have time to answer, so here goes.

I'm currently starting an african-inspired space adventure comic, about two cousins who survived the massacre of their clan, and who now work as mercenaries.

The first issue is available here for 1$ : gumroad.com/juniba#

This is the cover of issue 2, but I'll post a few pics from issue 1 to give you an idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The cover looks great but you're gonna get yourself banned dude.

Mods probably think he is storytiming. He did this several times.

Yeah I was told it's fine for indie stuff.

Now, if it isn't, I'll stop, obviously. But it allowed for some nice discussions as well so it'd be a shame.

Just learned of your work somewhat recently, and have enjoyed what I've read since.

Just pitched in for that Kickstarter with Hass earlier this week. Wish you the best!

The artstyle looks really awesome. Is the comic itself very action focused?

Thanks! Very cool of you.

Mostly yes. I have a few stories already scripted with a little less action, but it's definitely a main feature most of the time.

But always to serve the story.

That's a little disappointing, I will still probably check out the first issue when I get something on my paypal.

If you want to talk about the process of this, I'd be interested. Like what made you interested in making comics, how'd you get involved with this one, how did you actually start scripting it with your writer?

>That's a little disappointing
How so?

I got interested in drawing comics when I was eleven, because of this : youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0
Before and after that i imagined stories with my toys, but drawing sonic comics was how I started making stories on paper.

As for this book, I was approached by another user, who had a concept for it. He decided to move to other things and take some distance from it starting with issue 2, so it'll be mostly me.
What we did is the original idea for a mini series was a big endeavor for two inexperienced people so we settled on short stories, one per chapter, following the two main characters and their struggles. It was a better room for experimentation, exposure, and less simplistic than a generic revenge story as originally intended.

I gave him a rough outline for issue 2's story, he scripted it, and I made it into a comic.

Starting with issue 2 the scripts will be mostly mine, with occasionnal touches from him depending on his schedule and willingness.

What kind of music do you listen?

>I gave him a rough outline for issue 2's story, he scripted it, and I made it into a comic
issue 1*

All sorts. And I mean all. depending on the mood I'll listen to Run the Jewels, George Michael, Wagner, country music, rock, movie soundtracks, rap (french, african and american), J-pop, or even stupid really bad tunes like High School musical because I love how catchy and corny it is.

I'm not that much into action packed stuff. The artstyle reminded me of Hellboy a little and the more meandering, atmospheric stories were my favorites there.

I see. i appreciate you giving it a shot. Hopefully you'll like it anyway.

Bump

Glad you posted the cover to issue 2. That thing is mouth-watering as all Hell.

You have no idea how eager I was to finally reveal it.

I already outlined the story, and penciled about 80% of it.

Can't wait to finish.

boop

Seen a storytime of 1st issue the other day, and it got my interest. Can't wait to see more of the races and tech, it's got this unique feel to it. The animal-men races just added a folkloric feel to it.

You started with Sonic comics? Some artist I follow start like that too, kek.
Did you read the Archie ones?

Never. I grew up in Senegal, and read a few resumes of it on the internet at the time, but I mostly created my own vilains, and some supporting characters.

>The animal-men races just added a folkloric feel to it.
Yeah, I can't take credit for those desu. They are a very recurring feature of west african folk tales.

They appear in those stories as kind of a symbolic type more than anything. An archetype if you will. The hyena is stupid and greedy, the hare is little but cunning and a pure troll.

They felt more in tune with the concept, and more original than aliens.

Hey man - bought issue 1 and really enjoyed it. I'm really pumped for the rest of the series. I really like the Afrofuturist vibe.

Thanks! Next issue coming next month.

You subscribed to the gumroad page?

Yessir. Once you get a few more issues in the bag, are you going to shop it around for physical print?

About how long has it taken for you to do each issue? Can we expect new ones regularly?

Maybe, depending on support. As for now I'm being curated every two months in a magazine curating african comics. Kugali.com/magazine. I'm also doing the covers!

I work fairly fast, so I'm set on a schedule of an issue per month.

very nice, use of shadow reminds me a bunch of mignola's work

Hope you don't get banned bro, always cool to see (good) creators come on and talk about their work.

On your twitter it says you live in France, what's it like making comics over there? Is it expected for beginning cartoonists to make webcomics, or go straight to getting their work to a publisher? What kind of comics are popular over there, and are their any good French comics out right now that you would recommend (that have english translations)?

There was one page in the first issue (where they make the deal with the warthog) where the use of shadow and darkness astonished me. I love the planet-fall in the full body mask as well.

I don't dislike the story but I can't say that it amazes me. The emotional weight of it doesn't (yet) affect me. The warthog has something to him just because he imposes and he's the most complex character we're presented with so far; the kids haven't had time to be built up yet. But visually it's immensely compelling. I read a dozen or more comics a week and how many of them legitimately make me sit up and look and double-back like this one does? Not many.

If I could have paid more than $1 for it I would have.

Not the author but learning French is a top tip for gud comix. Not only is their domestic industry huge and competent but they get way more foreign stuff officially translated than gets done in English.

Looking forward to the new thing you and Hass are doing, man!

Thanks! Yeah, i'm going to use the warthog again, i really like him.
Starting with next issue I'm gonna bump the price to 2$ for financial reasons mostly. The 1$ is a starting price.

France is kind fo set in their ways outside of a few younger people. I'm currently working on a french project, but the ones I do for myself, or with british people are more interesting I think.

That being said, france and Belgium have some of the best comics ever. I just read Betty Boob, Beauty, and Kairos. My all time love is Siegfried though. or any Spirou.

>tfw received a warning.
Oh well, guess that's the last thread.

Thanks for sharing regardless.