Moon Knight #188 Storytime

Because Jeff Lemire's Moon Knight run is somehow a modest success, Marvel decided to give this series another shot. The creative team is Max Bemis, the bipolar leader of the band Say Anything, and Jacen Burrows, Avatar Press' top artist. Will this run live up to the previous two runs?

Why did Marlel think this artist was worth grabbing? He was the worst part of Providence by miles. They should've used the same artist they did in Lemire's series.

>Will this run live up to the previous two runs?
no, but it might be good. I doubt it will sell though, Lemire can sell on his name, Bemis can't yet

The bottom panel makes a decent reaction image.

Having Peralta draw Moon Knight is okay. Also the last panel screams "generic movie poster" for me.

In three weeks!

It'll be better written than Lemire's run, but Burrows is no Smallwood.

I actually like the art from the weird this is from a distance it sort of looks likes Geof darrow or frank quitely art

I actually still have a lot of hope for this series, and the climax was actually pretty good, but holy fuck was this issue so boring. Did we really need to see this one-off psychologist's (who wasn't even supposed to exist) entire back story just to watch her get killed off?
Hopefully things will get exciting when Marc actually shows up in his own goddamn book.

Bump

This

This is off to a very promising start. I like that Bemis starts the series by actually fleshing out the ethos behind Sun King (not the most inspired name, but it fits thematically, I guess) in an interesting way, instead of just having his motivation be "I'm like the hero, but the opposite somehow!". I doubt he'll become Moon Knight's "greatest nemesis" like the solicits suggest, but Bemis hasn't disappointed me yet.

Dude, she clearly didn't die, she's the one getting rescued by the EMTs. And judging by future covers, she'll be a recurring character as well (unless I'm confusing her with some other redhead).

I do like the new costume.

>what did you walk away with on the day you hurt them
Not a native English speaker, does this lack a comma?

>watch her get killed off
But user, she survived in the end. Horribly scarred, but she survived. This was an origin story for both the Sun Knight and her. Maybe a new Stained Glass Scarlet.

No, that's grammatically correct. It'd only need a comma if it was "On the day you hurt them, what did you walk away with?". Putting "on the day you hurt them" at the end means you don't need a comma.

Therefore Burrows is a hack.

No? He's a perfectly competent artist. It's just that Smallwood is an amazing artist.

I'm enjoying this book so far. Would be nice if Bemis could for once spare the readers his soy-fueled views on masculinity and impotence projections.

I've read enough comics to know where this is going.

New Punisher MAX Bullseye incoming.

Great start, just like Spirits of Vengeance.

It was actually not a bad issue. Still I don't know whether making Sun King, Marc's "Joker", would be necessary. Bemis seems to be drawing inspiration from him but I am enjoying this arc so far.

>people ragging on Burrows
He's the only thing that motivated me to check this out after how shit and half-assed the last three runs all were.

Looks like they actually got a semi-decent writer this time though!

>Emmett

Huh, didn't expect her to be a recurring character. Guess her cameo in ASM was more foreshadowing than Easter egg.

>(unless I'm confusing her with some other redhead).

Stained Glass Scarlet, maybe?

Dr. Emmett is from Lemire's run. She was Ammut's host.

Giving a mental patient with extreme bipolar disorder an icon to obsess over seems like a bad idea, but I'm no psychologist.

>somehow

It was good, it's not surprise

Who's Ernie?

This is the first mention I've seen of Ravencroft in ages. Was Dr. Emmett always working there and I just never noticed?

I think it last showed up in Superior Spider-Man when Massacre broke and killed Kafka.

Whelp, I spoke too soon, this just had it's "killed Dr. Kefka" moment. Guess we won't be seeing it for another decade.
You'd think the place would have sprinkler systems...

>dat snob Horus
>dat creepy sexual Osiris

That made the issue for me, desu.

Looks interesting, I'm gonna keep reading.

>Guess her cameo in ASM was more foreshadowing than Easter egg.

Where was this?

So that they could put
>Jacen Burrows (ALAN MOORE'S PROVIDENCE)
in solicits and on the back covers of tpbs

Was Lemire's run actually good? I read a couple issues on Sup Forums and enjoyed them well enough but Lemire tends to be pretty hit or miss and I didn't want to commit to the entire run and be disappointed with where it went (Animal Man).

She was the psychiatrist Norman Osborne saw on his quest to become Green Goblin again.

I like the contrast between Khonsu walking around in a modern suit while Ra is still going full Egypt style.

Oh cool! I didn't catch that. Props to Slott, that was probably the best issue he's done recently.

I liked it, but the book felt like an artist's showcase.A lot of trippy imagery and just enough story to tie it together.

Not mindblowing, but not bad. The art sucks, though.

Kind of cool, don't really care for the psychiatrist though.

This. Smallwood's art is trippy, but it's flat and lacks any interesting perspective.

Why does everyone in this thread suddenly hate Jacen Burrows? I don't love him but he's a perfectly competent artist. this page is pretty sweet.

Burrows' art is a little looser here (maybe just from the colourist?) and more readable as a result of that. I'm surprised at how 'Marvel' it looks really. It still has that Avatar grotesque meticulousness to it but it works, I even prefer it.

Writing-wise this is a little explicative and wordy for me but I can bear with it; I've enjoyed Bemis a lot with Foolkiller and Centipede and I love when you get a page in a comic like where it's just like "Yeah, this is going somewhere interesting"

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the art either. There's some nice pages like

thanks user fantastic read. Although I'm bummed about Dr. Emmit she was a hottie. (no pun intended)

DESU, I didn't enjoy this as much as the last few runs of Moon Knight, or as much as Foolkiller or Worst X-men Ever.

But it's only one issue, I'll give it an arc before I give it up.

> yfw Brad Pitt gets cast as Marc in a Moon Knight film years from now

Providence? Alan Moore? What strange sounds are these?

I hope this is fun and interesting to read, and doesn't get involved into events like previous runs. And I hope it doesn't change colorist either, because with this Lopes guy, at least the art looks fine and not too plain.

When are we getting Frank Miller on this or Ennis?

kek

That isn't crazy at all.

He's just got huge shoes to fill.

bump

It's a bit genius to get an actual bipolar person as the writer for the book.

>doesn't get involved into events like previous runs
What Moon Knight runs have tied into events?

This is what happened to Dr Harlene Quinzel

Ernest Hemingway, the writer

He blew his brains out with a Macomber

I love this panel so fucking much

Didn't the Huston run have some tie-ins to Civil War?

He wasn't that amazing the first time he worked with Moony, in the second part with the second writer of the previous run. The guy improved a lot, especially at layering his pages. I recall people complaining about his work, actually. Funny, looking back now.

I meant that I hope it doesn't get involved, like the former ones, which didn't get involved either.

Bad English at work, my apologies.

Goddammit I hope they keep the "muh patriarchy" angle to a minimum. If there's one title I thought would be safe from Marvel's usual BS, it's Moon Knight (tho Daredevil is also surprisingly free of politics)

Oh! Thanks user! I might have gotten it if he was Ernest. That image makes him look like he's got a weird mustache, not a beard.

He's still not that great. His layouts can look cool sometimes but he doesn't know how and when to use them properly and sometimes his shit can just look confusing for the sake of trying to look different. And his usual pencils are just okay. When he's aping Sienkiewicz he's amazing though.

Who are the 3 on the board?

Prepare your fragile man ego, Max Bemis is gonna tackle toxic masculinity like a motherfucker. Moon Knight's rogue gallery will be full of men that can't treat women with respect.

CROSSED