Was Rachet & Clank a good movie? Are you upset its failure means the Sly Cooper movie will never get made?

Was Rachet & Clank a good movie? Are you upset its failure means the Sly Cooper movie will never get made?

Other urls found in this thread:

animationmagazine.net/events/magic-adventures-44-cats-most-watched-shows-at-mip-jr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The original game did the story better and less sappy. And also didn't throw Drek under the bus in favor of TJ Fixman's obsession over Dr. Nefarious (as much as I love him, he's gotten way overused).

>Are you upset its failure means the Sly Cooper movie will never get made?
No because it probably would've been just as shitty.

>Was Rachet & Clank a good movie?
Yes and no. If you're a fan of the game series, you'll likely enjoy it. To those unfamiliar, it does no favours. Honestly, I feel the movie would had fared better as a DTV entry instead of theatrical, which may had happened seeing how there was little to no promotion for the movie, nor any fast food tie-ins or merchandising (as opposed to Angry Birds movie).

Honestly, not really. I felt Sly would had worked better as a TV series in same vein as Lupin, Carmen SanDiego, etc. So perhaps for the best it didn't get a movie.

It was a 6.6/10 movie. Ratchet was almost a non-character, with about 0 emotions besides "smile blandly into the camera". One of the female rangers has literally 1-dimensional personality.

It was OK, but it really was "Captain Qwark the movie guest starring Ratchet with an appearance by Clank".

We will never get murderous asshole Qwark from the original game ever again.

No.

No.

Moving on.

That doesn't even really bother me because I always thought Qwark was the best part of the games. If anything, it made me kind of made me crave a version of this franchise where he's the protagonist and it's all about an egocentric fake superhero learning to become a real one with the help of a fan.

Qwark's voice actor also gave the best performance and had the best comedic timing in the whole movie.

Murderous assholes as protagonists are not okay these days (unless you are George Lucas).

Not really, they're reusing the assets made for the film to make a TV show.

>I feel the movie would had fared better as a DTV entry instead of theatrical.
That and it wouldn't have had to compete with juggernauts like Zootopia and The Jungle Book.

Funnily enough, TJ Fixman wants nothing to do with the movie thanks to Munroe's meddling.

I really wanted this movie to be a fucking treat. I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said, but holy shit, I wanted it to be great.

Still, it had some cool stuff. I never liked Drek anyway so making Nefarious the main villain was fine. The post-credits scene was cool, Qwark was great.

I'm at least glad the GAME did so well. Apparently it's the fastest selling R&C game in the whole series. I just hope they ake a new game after Into the Nexus, rather than rebooting the whole series.

As a fan, I know I can't give a straight and fully impartial critique of the movie, but for some reason the fact it looked so visually close to the games hurt me more. There's actual genuine effort here, insomniac helped too; That's beyond most video game movie adaptations these days.

Despite that movie changes causes to be mediocre and somehow feels worse; Like, something about actually pulling the effort but brought your undoing by small choices that causes big damage VS Never having even tried at all.

There's a good movie burried in there and its a shame it turned out to be such run-of-the-mill. I knew from its announcement that we wouldn't have R&C1 Ratchet and R&C1 Qwark; They just aren't the characters most players remember these days. But they went so out of their way to drain every little bit of Ratchet's personality to be children-safe that it made him into such a non character. Same as Clank.

The games have a slight dose of cynical edge that propels them just a tad above the typical mascot platformer script and, sure, many will disagree the Post-Future series games toned that heavily, it has never been to the intensity that the movie did.

I can't think of a videogame movie around its time that tried to be such level of faithfulness and seeing it end up with such a bad product makes me thing there is just no hope for videogame adpatations.

Also it baffles me NOBODY in the meeting boards thought that underplaying the weapons, when the weapons are possibly one of the BIGGEST HOOKS IN THE WHOLE GAME SERIES, was a bad idea.

>Funnily enough, TJ Fixman wants nothing to do with the movie thanks to Munroe's meddling.

I seriously dream that one day by some cosmic mishaps we can get to read Fixman's original script for the movie before it was edited by Munroe's meddling.

I really doubt it's THAT drastically different (I'm pretty sure the new Galactic Rangers, Nefarious, and a lot of the stuff from the movie is STILL in there) but just the curiosity of knowing /what/ exactly was changed makes it quite intriguing.

I'm disappointed that it wasn't better. They had all the right stuff to make it good, but stripped it of any and all of the franchise's grit and charm.

The issue is that Nefarious didn't even feel like Nefarious anyways. You might as well just stuck with Drek.

Drek didn't even have Kevin's smarmy voice.

>"And if you don't like it, you can take your whiny, sniveling, snot-nosed population, form a line behind me and KISS MY- what? It's still on?"

it's okay at best as a R&C fan, i feel almost everything felt downplayed.

it was a very mediocre, about the same level of quality as the wild life that came out around the same time
>Are you upset
not at all with that art style and sly was made to be episodic it should have been a cartoon series first than a movie

Hell there's one thing i never understood about both of them what is the target audience is it the 20 somethings that used to play them or still play the newer ones or kids that have probably never even heard of it? Spyro had the right idea getting a cartoon to go along with it's game
God i am just so pissed we never got a cartoon of either ratchet or sly or jak

I don't want a Jak movie, or a show. I want a Jak GAME.

>your pic

No and no

The live action Silent Hill (the first one, not the second) was pretty damn faithful save for a gender swap and SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCE.

Unfortunately, Naughty Dog doesn't want to make a Jak game, so we're just going to have to deal with their movi--I mean other games.

As far as just standalone movies go, Silent Hill would've been a really good movie if it wasn't for the awful plot dump in the hospital wit Alyssa.

I know they felt that Alyssa's story is what Silent Hill is all about, but I dunno, I kind of wish they just made a surreal horror movie inspired more by the "your own personal trauma" of Silent Hill 2 than the story about the cult in the first game. I think they could have just Groundhog Day'd it and not explained any history of Silent Hill and just treat it like a Twilight Zone horror time and it would've been a great horror movie.

Personally I thought it was enjoyable. Not groundbreaking but not bad at all. Cliched, sure, but still fun. A decent 7/10. I do wish that the original game was repurposed into the movie instead, although I do understand the troubles of how people may be triggered by Ratchet’s original personality.

Someone else will step up to the task.

Yeah I can get behind that. Some shit just doesn't need explaining.

Sly IS getting a cartoon.

I cant wait to see new Carmelita.

Don't get too excited, the cock sucking mods have a huge No Anthro Female mentality. Post that character? Expect deletion.

True, Silent Hill was also very close. Is just to hard to see these days.

fuck no, they ruined the story and characters

The ratchet and clank movie was exactly what you would expect from a kids movie made by a no name company

Carmelita would probably getting SJW-ified though. Can't have that open rack and hourglass waste. Also I'd say Sly really dodged the bullet on that movie since videogame movies are almost always bad

No. And I may just be nostalgiafagging here, but I think if they just expanded the original story, maybe even with the original aesthetic, people would have liked it significantly more. It's not like the buddy cop shit in the original game was particularly groundbreaking, and Ratchet learning to not be a dick would probably grate on people less in a 90 minute movie than a 10 hour game.
But instead they made it a bland nothing movie about nothing. It's a shame, there was some potential there.

Not at all. Sly would work better as a TV show anyway, and there's more of a chance that it won't be shit this way.

I am going to bet she will be a foxy lady.

I think Giamatti did a good job of making Drek a slimey businessman type of villain, but he was just so underused and tossed under the bus for Nefarious, who didn't even feel like Nefarious.

If they stuck with the first game's story it would've already been stronger.

Ratchet being a wide eyed goodie goodie really hurt the movie for me. The fact is that he starts off as a smarmy jerk who has the makings of something better. So by the end of the story, Ratchet basically starts becoming the hero that he always could've been. Then as time goes on he basically becomes a straight up heroic figure to everyone, and the grit peels off.

The angle the movie went with was the weakest and most bland route possible.

no
> Are you upset its failure means the Sly Cooper movie will never get made?
good riddance

Will she have a new VA in every episode?

No. It felt like they just took all the cutscenes from the game, stitched it together and added filler in between. The pacing is the worst with no time to breath or anything to sink in; it just keeps going at a consistent pace. As a result characters have no time to develop and I saw no chemistry between Ratchet and Clank.

>If you're a fan of the game series, you'll likely enjoy it.
No. You'll likely get a bit angry about what they did to all the characters and the idea that this is how a new generation is going to know R&C from now on.

They never talk.
They rebooted the story about how Ratchet and Clank meet and they leave out the conflict of character and slow growing appreciation of each other.
So there's no banter or playful ribbing, but for some reason there's no real dialogue at all. You're just supposed to accept that they're the best friends ever now.

It's good in the sense that it's 100% faithful in appearance and humor to the games. But it's bad because the story is the weakest of any seen in the series thus far. While some will argue the Future series got too serious, it was still able to develop the characters and feel like there was progression. The movie fails to do any of this. Ratchet begins as a wannabe hero, and the only change in him is he becomes a hero, but there's no great revelation made by him that makes him feel like a hero, just someone with the title.

And of course Clank got fuckall despite having his name in the title. Even the games gave him more respect, and he was missing from one game completely.

>Movie points out how Clank is a defect and Ratchet is the only one of his species.
>Does jack shit with it.

You could have easily have a good bonding moment(s) with the theme of being alone in the universe and finding confort and friendship in others, but fuck that, right? I mean this is a kid's film; Is not like other successful kids' film do that and get fucking tons of money like disney and pixar, right?

The ONE thing I did actually like of Nefarious was his new design. I always found weird how squishy Nefarious simply falls in lava and pops out with an entirely different color scheme in Up Your Arsenal.

They could have stitched together the cutscenes from the first game and it would've been a better movie.

I hope they WONT recast Grey Delisle.

You mean how he became a robot in the original canon? Yea, it was kind of strange how falling into some gears and shit just transformed him, though that was a vid-comic retelling, likely based on whatever Qwark had said about the encounter and the one after with robot Nefarious. It's possible that Nefarious was just fucked up and rebuilt himself, losing his mind in the process and thus forgetting his life as a "squishy"

No.
And no. There's only one good video game movie and it's Phoenix Wright.

And Mortal Kombat.
And the first Silent Hill movie if you ignore the retarded changes.

>hire Takeshi Miike for your anime lawyer game movie

The absolute madmen.

I hope so too.

The only good ratchet plots are in the PS2 games, back when it was written by random programmers and animators with a sense of humor instead of someone with a writing degree trying to write for kids

i havn't heard any news on that since they said it was going to happen

It was apparently featured on an animation convention recently. It was the 11th most watched show out of 1,000.

animationmagazine.net/events/magic-adventures-44-cats-most-watched-shows-at-mip-jr/

>not even in first ten

>When Sanzaru left Sly 4 on a cliff hanger
>We'll probably never get another game

it's fanmade, give it a break.

Instead of video game movies would it be better for a tv show

What's wrong with uncharted and tlous. Naughty Dog finish Uncharted so we might have a new jak game

Didn't the games sell more than all other Ratchet and Clank games by a large margin?

You straight up cannot have Nefarious if you don't have Lawrence as well.

This too.

"LAWWWWWWWRENNNNNNCE!!!"
"Oh, don't mind me, sir. I'm sure whatever personal pleasure I'm enjoying right now can wait so I may tend to your infernal and inane demands."

Not to mention the Lance and Janice transmissions, those are key

>not liking CiT's plot

To be fair, the series didn't need to become so melodramatic as it did with the PS3 trilogy. That said, the story was good, though whoever was in charge of the overall direction shouldn't have tried to milk it for as long as they have been. They could have easily have had Ratchet's lack of family wrap up alongside Clank's newly revealed past in Crack in Time and had the game cap off the series, or at least that arc. Instead, they then make two games that act like filler, adding nothing to the overall plot, and then a "4th" game for the trilogy that feels more like those OVAs you see in anime where it's set after the main plot has concluded, and doesn't really advance anything or even start a new arc. Now, who knows if Insomniac will even be allowed to wrap up the original continuity or not. Between the upcoming Spider-man game and the reasonable success of the remake game, they might just get forced to do remakes of the other games. Though, I suppose with the film's complete and utter failure, any possible remakes of Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal would at least be free to keep most of their original storylines and be meatier in content as they wouldn't have to follow a short film plot with minor deviations.

yeah right, naughty dog isn't going to make anything like Jak again.

They're hellbent on their dark and gritty noose adventures

>SJW-ified
>animated by the French
Good joke.

>animationmagazine.net/events/magic-adventures-44-cats-most-watched-shows-at-mip-jr/
Holy shit Pingu's still kicking?

Isn't there concept art of jak 4

from like a decade ago?