"If there is even a 1% chance he is our enemy we have to take it with absolute certainty!"

>"If there is even a 1% chance he is our enemy we have to take it with absolute certainty!"

Thats not how probability fucking works.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Percent_Doctrine
youtube.com/watch?v=ozFOtI-O7KI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's not even how being extremely cautious works. But he's just making up reasons to fight Supes because he feels impotent. It's really nice when your script has a built-in excuse for characters to act retarded.

>Thats not how probability fucking works.

And that was sort of the point there - to show, at that point, just how far gone Batman was.

Took you over a year to figure it out but looks like you finally got it.

Bruce was more paranoid than reasonable. You can tell by how extremist his decisions were. He was at the end of his rope and not seeing the forest for the trees.

maybe he was using xcom logic?

>I missed the whole point of the characterization.
Batman supposed to be delusional and wrong. The whole fucking point of his character is that he's a badguy.

If a possible threat has a 99% chance of not going wrong and a 1% chance of absolute harm then you cannot allow it to run its course.

In real life, if there was a kryptonian baby in a pod, you kill it as it sleeps, because if things go poorly (turns out it's a psychopath, or it just has one emotional breakdown) it can destroy humanity and there's nothing we could do about it after it catches some sun.

If you can't take the gamble every time, you don't take it any time. And taking gambles that result in total annihilation until you lose is dumb.

>a man who's spent two decades and untold billions dressing as a bat to fight crime might be a little illogical with his thinking

Shocker

kek

There's a 1% chance every single person walking past you on the street is an enemy, better kill them all I say.

You should go back in time and tell Donald Rumsfeld that

i dont get what you mean. Or is this a meme post?
Its 1% chance of Superman destroying all human life, its safer to get rid of him. (though Bruce obviously thinks its much higher chance because he thinks Superman is totally an alien and wouldnt care about blowing up the planet if he felt like it)

>there's a 1% chance you will die in the next second

Better kill yourself just to be safe

You're too smart to be here, kid. You're under arrest on the authority of the Mouse.

>take Lex Luthor's entire outlook on Superman
>give it to Batman instead

What did they mean by this?

If I have a heart attack is that my body trying to kill me?

Isn't it kinda funny how many Sup Forumsacks defend Snyder for his Jesus imagery when the movie was obviously left leaning from a social standpoint?

Yes, which means your body is the worst enemy of all and you must destroy it as a preemptive measure. You can't be killed if you're already dead, that's just science.

Not that user but yes, clearly it’s out to get you better not take any chances

That's right. Keep eating those wings and chugging them down with that chocolate milkshake. That'll teach the fucker.

OP stop making threads like this, or face the wrath of the DCPajeets!!!!

It's almost as if Snyder's views are based on his own thoughts rather than copying what's popular. Remember when people used to find things out on their own?

>based on his own thoughts
Hey, now, I wouldn't go as far as that.

well no fucking shit. what the fuck is wrong with people getting MoS's and BvS's characterisations wrong all the time? It's really not that hard to understand it either, you have to be legitimately retarded to not understand that Batman was in the wrong and pretty much crazy. Thus, the whole "I'll bend logics to my will in order to justify my actions" thing is bullshit from the get go

Yeah, it's kinda fucked how even the movie's defenders get this shit wrong. I thought it was shit, but I understood what they were going for and that wasn't one of the problems it had.
One of my problems with Batman's characterization, for instance, is how he has absolutely no issues in killing or getting killed anybody with the slightest connection to the Superman plot, yet much more dangerous criminals like The Joker are still alive (even when it's shown he was directly responsible of the death of a Robin). That's just inconsistent and shows how improvised all the "extended universe" shit was.

It has yet to be seen though how he reacted when Robin died. I mean for all we know, Nightwing could have hindered him from killing the Joker, hence the whole platinum teeth thing.

People get so upset about Batman killing thugs but love Burton's version while forgetting about the whole bomb scene

>yet much more dangerous criminals like The Joker are still alive
It's almost like Joker is smart and is able to evade Batman. It's pretty clear based on Suicide Squad how easily Joker managed to carry out large scale interceptions and thefts and got away scot free.

Sorry bro, that's just how aging republican's brains are wired...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Percent_Doctrine

That's a direct reference to the quote the Bush administration used to justify their invasion of the ME. Goddamn, it's not even allegorical or anything, it's straight up in your face and you faggots still missed it. Did you miss the 9/11 imagery in the opening sequence as well?

He was quoting Dick Cheney, dumbass.

Bruce didn't start killing until after Superman showed up, evidenced by alfred's line "New Rules..." when he finds out about the brandings...In a the time span of a year and a half, maybe Bruce has been too preoccupied with Superman to track down Joker and kill him. Plus most of Bruce's kills are collateral damage.

lol'd

>It's really nice when your script has a built-in excuse for characters to act retarded.

We're talking about an adult kryptonian here, and with the 99% chance that he's a good guy, you're antagonizing a guy who can destroy your planet, without trying to find out anything about him first, even his parents' names.
Good call.

They're (probably accidentally) legitimizing that point of view, somewhat.
With Luthor it's always invalidated by him being a petty little man who cares more about his power and prestige than anything else.
Batman we know is a good guy. He's wrong, but he's good.

More realistically someone just wanted insert his daddy issues deep inside Jesse Eisenberg.

Half of this board was maybe 5 when we invaded Iraq.

I honestly forgot that's what it was, but
>hey it's another reference
>am I making good movies yet?

Sure, but once he starts killing, he still only goes after nameless goons that are merely following orders, instead of going after the big guys?

Again, there's people like Croc and Deadshot still alive, and we'll probably see even more from now on. It's just a stupid starting point for an extended universe and needs a lot of retcons and explanations instead of working organically.

>People get so upset about Batman killing thugs but love Burton's version while forgetting about the whole bomb scene
I have no issues with this because that Batman also killed the bosses. There was no bullshit double standard. It's completely coherent, while BvS Batman comes off as an hypocritical bully that only punches down.

My guess is that this is all a result of rushing into shooting unfinished script that still needed one or two more drafts in order to make everything work.

>rather than copying what's popular
Nigga he makes multiple reference to the fucking Bible, the most sold, stolen and read book of all time.

But the Bible ain't popular anymore, didn't you hear? That's why holding traditional Christian values is the edgy contrarian thing to do nowadays.

>25 is the new 70

Bruce was pretty much retired and stopped taking risks probably after Robin died. He changed his mind after warming up to Superman because the S on his shield means hope.

Well being a contrarian is popular too.

Well, that's my point. The lack of self awareness around here is pretty damn tragic.

I think that was the point, it was to show how paranoid and desperate he got.

>There's a 1% chance every single person walking past you on the street is an enemy, better kill them all I say.
Actually, this is sound reasoning. Superman going rogue is what is known in the business world as a "non-diversifiable risk." Companies will pour millions into hedge against such risks even if they're unlikely to happen, simply because, if they do happen, they're totally fucked.

Except antagonizing Superman might make it happen instead of stopping it.

Google The 1% Doctrine

If there is a 1% chance you will get in a car crash that will kill you, you must react to that chance like it will happen. You wear your seat belt and practice vigilant, defensive driving. You assume every driver out there can be the one who can kill you.

Same thing with Batman with Superman. If the result of Superman going bad is the end of humanity, you must prepare for that possibility no matter how small the chance, because of the absolute severity of the result.

What Batman is doing is driving 100 mph because anyone who is in front of his car might cause an accident. It's retarded.

Batman's reaction is in proportion to the threat

By this logic we should kill every baby we find because it could grow up to be the next hitler and cause a nulcear war

There's nothing to indicate Batman encountered those guys or they were on his radar between MoS and BvS though. It's clear that he became laser focused on Superman after he and Zod destroyed Metropolis. One of his lines was "This may be the only thing I do that matters." He had completely stopped caring about anything except Superman.

And it's not like he was going out of his way to kill people. If anything, it's a more extreme version of Bale's "I don't have to save you." line. He wasn't going crazy and chopping up every criminal he ran into, that's evidenced by the Bat Brand. He just completely stopped giving a shit about sparing people who were trying to shoot him with rockets and turrets.

By the logic the movie presented, it only would've made sense for him to kill Joker, Croc, Deadshot, etc. if he ran into them in the course of his plan to stop Superman and they tried to kill him first.

If there was a 1% chance of your entire planet being destroyed and you could destroy that 1% would you?

Would you risk your family, friends, underaged waifus, all on the hope that they 1% chance never comes to be reality?

Do you realized how stupid that sounds?

Almost as stupid as what the user I replied to said

So your logic is to prevent the destruction of humanity is to destroy humanity

well that's as good as saying thought crimes should be punishable by death.

>we should kill a baby because theres a microscopic chance it could one day kill all humanity
>hurr durr ur logic in this hypothetical is retarded

The point is that Batman was losing it.

Bruce was the villain. Clark redeemed him. That's the point of the movie. That's the point of the "men are still good." line. Bruce was about to go completely off the deep end and Clark pulled him back, despite Bruce spending the whole movie trying to kill him.

That is the point of the movie.

Yes

>The point is that Batman was losing it.

That doesn't mean they conveyed it well or made it narratively worthwhile or did anything interesting with the concept.

The point is irrelevant when the execution is shit. Having Bruce quote Rumsfeld just to hammer home THIS IS POST-9/11 AMERICA DO YOU GET IT GUYS is laughable.

Alfred says he's turning cruel, Gotham citizens are afraid of him, and Luthor talks about how easy it was to stoke his anger. It's all right there.

>It's really nice when your script has a built-in excuse for characters to act retarded.

You just described the majority of Superman stories.

semi driving next to me in traffic, i see it swerve slightly because of the rain.

>logical thinking suggest i get away from it by changing lanes increasing speed or decreasing speed to do so, my safe driving should keep me safe unless a tragedy happens. the semi straightens itself out and life goes on. if worst comes to worst i can call the police to check on the car, if it continues to swerve.

>batman logic dictates i slam into the semi to save lives of everyone around me. my god the semi could kill dozens if not hundreds if unchecked. the semi was going to keep going straight but i clip it and it kills us both and causes a pile up, i saved the world.

we are constantly in danger of death irl, it's just part of life.

I didn't know it was a Rumsefeld quote, honestly. I just thought it was to convey he was going off the deep end. I thought it was executed just fine, see this guy's points Alfred's quote conveyed it pretty well, I thought: youtube.com/watch?v=ozFOtI-O7KI

But there's a difference between a baby & a kryptonian baby that could eventually destroy everything

Sometimes the risk is too big to be justify sticking to moral principles. Superman's power is consistently world ending tier

I think he missspoken. Maybe it was something like:
>"If there is even a 1% chance he is our enemy we have to make it an absolute certainty!"

Batman lives in a world where leaders of questionable integrity have thousands of atomic weapons primed and aimed at one another.

Yet he's chasing the guy who's rescuing astronauts, saving flood and fire victims and generally doing the right thing full-time.

He has stupid priorities.
Not as stupid as Spazz Luthor's, but pretty fucking stupid.

There is no chance of that with a normal human, even if there was it'd be far smaller than with superman. There is such a chance with a kryptonian child

>I just thought it was to convey he was going off the deep end. I thought it was executed just fine, see this guy's points

It conveyed the idea well, I'm arguing that they didn't do anything interesting with the idea outside of making the action scenes more "hardcore" for Batman.

There was nothing meaningful to his moral fall because his character is so walled-off that he barely talks to anyone that isn't Alfred in his cave. Even Dark Knight Rises had the whole Howard Hughes crazy loner thing and his body being broken to the point that he could barely fight.

Snyder never does anything interesting on a character level with "fallen Bruce." It's just a chance for more brutal fight scenes.

hitler wasn't super powered. You have to isolate the issue. The issue is all other kryptonians were shown to be evil. Look at it like orcs. In LOTR did they kill all the orcs? Did they kill baby orcs? What was the tax policy on such a costly maneuver.

>its literally impossible insane dictators never get into positions of power where they could cause massive amounts of pointless deaths

not to mention suicide squad members existed and waller was already corrupt as fuck. he also might as well kill the JL, when he first found the luthor videos. probably starting with WW, since he had already located her.

1% is literally 50-50
superman is either bad or good
you cant be neither

>He wasn't going crazy and chopping up every criminal he ran into, that's evidenced by the Bat Brand.
But he knew those branded were getting brutalized and killed in prison, yet he kept branding them. And even though he knew right from the start that Luthor was involved in some shady shit, he was just happy torturing and murdering goons by proxy, instead of going after the big guy.
And the whole branding was beyond the "I don't have to save you". He's going out of his way to have those guys tortured in prison, again, while the guy behind everything doesn't get as much as a punch in the face.
He's just as big a coward as Superman. Snyder certainly has an issue with heroes, or even anti-heroes. They have to be irredeemable assholes.

But not destroy the entire planet, and not destroy multiple planets.

Also Superman is an identifiable threat. Not an ephemeral possibility. When one of those people obtains that amount of unchecked power, yes, we should kill them, before they have a chance to use it for evil.

Shitty people=/=world ending aliens
I'm just assuming here, but I figure Bruce understands that there is no utopia in the world & that there will be bad things happening in the world. What he's worried about is there no longer being a world.

charisma is a super power

Oh hey, you actually understood the meaning of that scene. Good job, user!

>take Lex Luthor's entire outlook on Superman
>give it to Batman instead

But that's wrong. Batman is simply afraid of Superman. Lex's hatred doesn't come from fear, he literally just hates Superman with every fiber of his being because he's envious and petty.

There's a 1% chance that you'll rape someone with your dick, when can you come over so that we can perform a castration procedure on you?

the other half was 10

Lex had layers user. On the surface it looks like fear and concern, but as time goes on you discover beneath that he's envious and petty. Most good Lex writers get that.

BvS is a terrible film, but based solely on what he knows about Superman at this point, he's right. Superman is potentially an incredibly dangerous person with the power to kill millions and if there were a 1% chance that he was malevolent and planned on doing so, I might want to take him out too.

There is special term in probabilty theory - confidence level that converts "certainty" to exact numbers

He just setting it too high.

DELET

one human hurting another will not instantly end the human species, further more human vs human is something that can be mitigated , a good human at least has a chance against a bad human, but what can humans do against super alien who gets a bad moood 1 day? its not the same threat level as a physical walking god who is FALLABLE and full of HUMAN emotions. If we are wrong about superman we ALL DIE. thats the differnce between 1 human going bad and 1 superman going bad. Superman can kill the earth many times over, if hes bored

But it is how batpreptime works. Completely coherent with the comics

No, by that logic you shouldn't give extreme power to a single guy because he might be the next Hitler. People still do though.

But Kryptonian is already as powerful as a world dictator would be, alone. With the next Hitler there's still a chance his cabinet, his police and his army refuse to follow his orders. With Superman, there's none.

Batman was acting like a whiny child the whole movie. No idea why people like Batfleck so much when he played the character in such an unlikeable manner.

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!!!!!

This literally every orc was evil not even an environmental thing they just were so yes logically kill them.

I caught it as a reference to the Administration but not as a Cheney quote. I was 13 when we invaded.