The Spectacular Spider-Man

Now that I'm done with this show, some thoughts since my last thread: First of all, basically NOTHING gets resolved except the identity of the major villain. After just how bad this series is overall, that's like adding insult to injury. Also now I get the people complaining about Weisman's cliffhanger problem quite a bit more... I mean, if W.I.T.C.H. had ended even REMOTELY like this I'd probably have screamed at the screen... or something.
Second, the problems I noted from the first season are greatly downplayed... because they're largely written out, and not because they're actually resolved. When we do get to see the "normal" stuff it's just about as bad, except worse because the dating shit is taken to a ridiculous extreme. Young Justice viewers probably recognize that.
Third, the second season is EXTREMELY annoying overall because first we have a bunch of holiday episodes, and then a bunch of episodes with repeated cuts to the play you can barely muster any energy to care about, as a viewer. It's like Weisman was showing off his knowledge of English teaching... even more than with the obscure reference quips in season 1, I mean.

On the positive side, the finale was positively STUNNING in terms of the action. THAT is something other shows NEED to learn from (but probably won't, because action cartoons seem to be dead).

All in all, there's a good reason it's now on my overrated cartoons list. Though to be quite fair every single one of those on the updated list is probably worth just one watch, simply as a cautionary tale of how NOT to write cartoons if nothing else. (Oh, and for the action scenes, in most cases. If only that were enough tho...)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsackWorld
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixtyFiveEpisodeCartoon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also since I have a new thread for this now I feel I should respond to one post I didn't get to back there: My problem with her character only deepened as I kept watching, for the most part.
Now at first, she was a blank slate. Then they basically made her seem like a slut...

But in the end it really boils down to this: she's the biggest Mary Sue in the entire show. By far.
And given the "character depth" (cough) in this series, that is REALLY bad even in comparison

Fuck off witchfag

So is the 90s cartoon better?

It definitely had better and more impressive story arcs in my opinion

Nice blogpost, faggot

Stay out of my threads.
Please refer to post number >Fuck off, I don't care. I gotta put this shit down before I forget and have no proof of this BS.

>gets to use kingpin as the main villain
>mary-jane and peter married
>season long arcs
>does Spider-Verse before Slott
>Stan Lee cameo
>Captain America/X-Men/FF/Iron Man guest stars

Basically how to do Spider-Man 101. SSM is just another Weisman gimmick show.

Except literally none of that has anything to do with my complaints on this show.

Mind elaborating? I'm curious.

Without spoiling anything, it had really cool arcs like Secret Wars and Symbiote Arcs, there was an awesome plot twist in the Return of Mary Jane, and the series finale was pretty good, and all the green goblin episodes were extremely satisfying and enjoyable. While it doesn’t really focus on that many characters the stories were great

That was a retarded plot twist.

Who are your favorite villains?

SHIT, I realized I forgot to talk about the actual meat of the story, i.e. the villain schemes!

So actually I was expecting something better because (a) season 1 set up pretty high expectations for the main story and (b) Greg Weisman is hyped as a master planner (pun intended). The whole story overall was rather mediocre, with a LOT of the episodic plots seeming disconnected - other than many of the same villains being involved. One has to wonder if executive meddling forced that, actually, because it got pretty bad.

But the real problem came in the mid-season (???) episode where the three main bad guys fought each other. What an anti-climax, one that even GG couldn't remedy.

He's definitely my favorite villain BTW, it's not even close. Next one, I'd have to think about...

>that gangland episode
>that Black Cat
>dat Symbiote Spidey vs the Sinister Six
>dat MJ
>dat Liz
>dat catchy as fuck opening theam
OP confirmed for having shit taste, I bet he thinks Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble is good. Next he'll try and say that Earth's Mightiest Heroes was shit

GG is a great choice. It's a shame that they will never get to follow up on Sandman. His last appearance in Season 2 really set-up the character to go on a slightly different path.

>anyone who dislikes what I like must also like stuff that is universally despised
Do you have the mentality of a child?

It was really to write him out of the show since he was now too powerful for Spidey to reasonably handle anymore. No doubt Hydro-Man (whose civilian self was already introduced) would have been his replacement if Season 3 came out.

Yeah... as I've mentioned here and/or in the other thread, pretty much all of those points I find to be neither excessively bad nor good, just mediocre. (Well actually Liz was extremely annoying, so pretty close to bad.)

The one exception would've been Black Cat... what an incredible character basically RUINED at the very end of her last appearance. Fuck.

I'm not really into capeshit in general BTW, I'm really keeping up with the popular shit so as to have something to talk about.

>autistic witchfag has terrible taste
Shocker.

>I'm not really into capeshit in general BTW
Then don't watch capeshit. Everyone involved would be better off.

The real shocker is how bad this is compared to W.I.T.C.H., especially the really comparable shit like the interplay between the villains in each show's second season.

I also said I had a theory on Weisman's writing in the other thread, and here it is: he's far better than average at writing plots (likely executive meddling aside) but has some repetitive issues with characters, turning them into Americanized stereotypes way too often. This is very evident here, in Young Justice, and even in his magnum opus Gargoyles.
(Also he tends to insert way too many Genius Bonus type references - before watching his stuff I never realized how annoying it could get)

W.I.T.C.H. season 2 also suffered from this, but it was barely noticeable because there were 26 pre-existing episodes that really established things. And to be quite frank watching SSM has actually elevated my opinion of W.I.T.C.H. much higher. I seriously think that show was one of a kind, for which basically every single aspect fell into the right place at the right time.
>Everyone involved would be better off.
Pretty sure I watch these alone.

Greg Weisman is overrated, period.

>Pretty sure I watch these alone.
I meant that you'd have less shitty blog posts to make that clog up the board.

Hey, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but that's literally the definition of a shitpost you got there.
user... I'm quite concerned you don't get what this board is intended for. Please review that.

>I'm quite concerned you don't get what this board is intended for.
Right back atcha W.I.T.C.Hfag

Seriously though, if a board like this isn't for in-depth analysis of cartoons, what is it for exactly?
Tell me why you think I'm wrong on that, user...

>he thinks his asinine garbage is serious analysis
How cute.

You don't actually want answers to your questions, so I don't see any particular reason to give them.

To you, any opinion you do not agree with is that.
Not sure what you mean - I only asked one question.

>To you, any opinion you do not agree with is that.
No self-awareness whatsoever, eh?

>Not sure what you mean
I don't know why you keep saying this when all of your posts already make that abundantly clear.

I kinda agree, OP. While I'm a huge fan of Weisman's other works, I feel that Spectacular is massively overrated, and as a side effect of that, Ultimate and now Marvel's Spider-Man are massively underrated.

Guys, does anyone have an image where Peter is in bed with MJ, but looking at his cel, while in anohter frame Gwen is alone looking at her cel also?

Hey, my opinions are based on objective facts.
I'm calling you out, you dumbass. Learn to read.

I can respect this opinion.

This is just fucking sad.

>I'm calling you out, you dumbass. Learn to read.
Flail about angrily like you always do W.I.T.C.Hfag. It won't make you seem any less pathetic. Maybe more so though.

>While I'm a huge fan of Weisman's other works
Which ones specifically, and why?

>Ultimate
>underrated
Please be trolling.

Gargoyles, for obvious reason, and Young Justice, which aside from the art style is probably my favorite cape cartoon.

I don't get all the hate for it. The overarcing plot is good, Peter is well presented, the SHIELD school for superheroes bit is something you'd think the Marvel Universe would have by no, and Peter constantly breaking the 4th wall (and everyone else thinking he's a weirdo who talks to himself) is great.

>I don't get all the hate for it.
Of course you don't.

Yes, you are trolling.

Please go make redddit your new home W.I.T.C.H fag. That's really the place these kinds of blog posts belong. They even have a much higher character limit than Sup Forums so you can fit all your shitty opinions is a single post, and they have mods that will ban users for making fun of your autism. Reddit really seems like the perfect place for someone of your caliber.

Is W.I.T.C.H. posting the successor to Pickle Rick and Sneed posting?

Yes.

This show deserved so much better than WITCH.

I liked reading your critique and went along until
>I don't get all the hate for it. The overarcing plot is good, Peter is well presented, the SHIELD school for superheroes bit is something you'd think the Marvel Universe would have by no,
I heavily disagree but I can accept--

>and Peter constantly breaking the 4th wall (and everyone else thinking he's a weirdo who talks to himself) is great.
I don't think so.

WITCHfag continuing to prove that he has awful taste and should be banned

>obscure reference quips
I bet you got mad when you didn't know what halitosis was

Before that point, my whole critique was "I liked it".

I don't get all the hate for the 4th wall breaking. Can someone explain? If it's not your thing, I get that, but can anyone go beyond that?

>Before that point, my whole critique was "I liked it".
I meant your writeup for Spectacular.

>I don't get all the hate for the 4th wall breaking.
Can someone explain? If it's not your thing, I get that, but can anyone go beyond that?
It seemed exaggerated to the point of parody, OoC, tone deaf, ugly, inconsistent, and worst of all unfunny. I'm sure someone who's watched beyond S1 can explain better.

Well, yeah, but we have the worst mods possible. They're not doing fucking anything about shitposting.
>inb4 I get blocked or banned again because I hurt the hot-pocket's feefees by saying that those idiots are incompetent
How about you do your fucking job instead of getting triggered by criticism of your admittedly lousy job, modcuck.

>then a bunch of episodes with repeated cuts to the play you can barely muster any energy to care about, as a viewer. It's like Weisman was showing off his knowledge of English teaching...
Thank god I'm not the only one who thought the parallels with Midsummer's Night Dream felt like they were shoehorned in for the sake of Shakespeare. There was even a hilariously awkward scene where one of the characters in the play is flailing around in a Spider-man-like suit, just in case you couldn't figure out what the hell the A-plot had to do with the B-plot.

>I meant your writeup for Spectacular.

Oh! I'm not OP, just a random user.

>4. What is with the high number of supervillain freaks, or whatever they're called as a group? It's like there's a new one almost every single episode, and they obviously have no time to be characterized really, let alone developed.
Here's a quote from your past thread that really tells you all you need to know about how awful your "opinion" is

Spectacular Spideyfag was WITCHfag the entire time?!

>the faggot seriously thinks The Batman is the best superhero cartoon ever yet shits on Spectacular
Did he reach the lolcow status yet?
Also, fuck him sideways with a butcher knife. I was doing so well convincing people that while The Batman is not the best Batman it's still worth a watch. Now he turned so many people against it I feel like I wasted years on here for nothing.

What the fuck is Teen Titans, then? Dumbass.
And The Batman certainly had its flaws, but at least I didn't actively HATE the characters much of the time. (Quite the opposite, actually.)

BTW if you hate me for promoting your favorite show, you can really chill the fuck out. I can't remember the last time I actually did that, as it's far from my favorite, and I have plenty of other series to talk about.
One more thing I forgot:
Towards the end of season 1 here, I actually ended up unironically rooting for the villains! I've NEVER done that with any show before, at least as far as I can recall. So why did it happen here? Because this series ABUSED the FUCK out of these two tropes:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsackWorld
and especially
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy

So is this Namorfag trying new bait?

Yeah, yeah, you have shit taste. We get it. Fuck off already.

Mind elaborating? I'm not sure if you're hating on W.I.T.C.H., or if you're saying SSM wasn't as good as it for some presumably unfair reason.

>I've NEVER done that with any show before, at least as far as I can recall.

You should watch the Legend of Korra, then.

>and Young Justice, which aside from the art style is probably my favorite cape cartoon.
But YJ has many of the same issues I'm talking about, in several cases it's even worse.

BTW the art never bothers me too much in a show unless it's actual garbage - like CalArts.
I did. And it didn't happen, because the villains there were really quite fucking terrible too.

Hey, that's one point I have to admit season 2 basically fixed. Thanks for reminding me, user!

>modcuck blocked me again
As expected, lel. Do your job, you fat cunt and stop getting butthurt when people (rightfully) tell you you suck at your job,

The worst part about that was that it could have been done brilliantly, if it wasn't so obnoxious and obviously shoehorned in. I *like* that type of thing.

I'm confused, why was my posted deleted along with this guy?

Because the mod is a power-tripping retard, user.

Oh, and meanwhile shitposting WITCHtard stays unbanned. Good job, modfaggot. I fucking miss Redwood so much.

>Show was expected to have more seasons
>Complain that there's things unresolved

Whelp, that's all I needed. Your taste is shit.

Aaaand there it is. WITCHfag reveals himself. You're an idiot.

Again, I have to compare this to W.I.T.C.H.
Weisman planned for a third season of that too, but the finale left NO questions about anything that had happened before the finale itself. The ONLY plot thread left hanging was one purposely introduced during said episode, that had no connection to the prior storylines.

If W.I.T.C.H. had left even a fraction of as many unanswered questions in its second season finale, I would have been devastated.

(BTW I "revealed" myself to be the same user in an earlier thread. You're slow on the uptake.)

At least W.I.T.C.H. got its 52 episode. No animated series realistically needs to last beyond that. If you haven't wrapped up most of your plot points by then or try to hold out for more episodes, you've only played yourself.

W.I.T.C.H fag is fucking autistic. Who knew ?

The mods are being paod by WITCHfag, they are unironically some of the worst on the site

I certainly don't want to fight the mods. I just found it weird that I got warned for using the word "faggot" when its never been an issue in the past.

Actually, 52 is not the standard for cartoons:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixtyFiveEpisodeCartoon

Plus the reason it had more episodes is because it had longer seasons. It had the same number of seasons, and consequently the same number of overarching villains.

But you'll get no argument from me that this show should've had 26-episode seasons from the start, to give it a fair chance. Fuck it, MOST cartoons should have 26-ep seasons - again, look at Avatar (20), and W.I.T.C.H. itself.

user, you're repeatedly breaking a specific rule (global rule 8). I am not violating any, at least to my knowledge.

FUCK OFF AUTIST

Young Justice is utter garbage

>Hey, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but that's literally the definition of a shitpost you got there.
Seriously guys, a bit of explanation would help.

>basically NOTHING gets resolved
The show was canceled out of nowhere in between seasons due to Disney buying Marvel. There was nothing they could have done.

Global Rule 10

Spamming isn't simply posting the same thing multiple times. Otherwise most of Sup Forums would be banned, and I say that without exaggeration.

The three major storylines with Green Goblin, Tombstone, and Venom are wrapped up fully but are given a bit of open-endedness for potential continuations. To me, that's considered resolved enough.

For the thousandth time: Weisman's previous show W.I.T.C.H. got cancelled after its second season too, but it wrapped up basically EVERYTHING.
Fucking no! NONE of the major storylines are resolved! I have a long list of questions in my head that will very likely NEVER get answered.

It's up to the mods discretion what counts as a rule violation.

Name them.

It also had twice the episodes as Spectacular and probably knew it was getting canceled. By all accounts, if it weren't for the sudden legal problems it faced from Marvel and Sony then Spectacular was getting a 3rd season

No. Spectacular is better by a landslide, BUT, one thing the 90s cartoon does have going for it is that it takes place in a larger Marvel universe

>and probably knew it was getting canceled.
According to Weisman himself he had plans for a 3rd season of it too. It's a similar situation.

The episode thing is unfair but it's not really an excuse for this either. Just compress the story.

Oh man, I really had a whole list but it's hard to actually put it down. I'll try:
1. The major villains. Obviously GG, but also the symbiote escaped.
2. Zero closure on the romances, from any direction. Just terrible.
3. Character arcs left hanging, most obviously Harry's but also Black Cat's, Sandman's, etc.
4. The overall story just seemed to go nowhere yet. The three main guys from the gang war should be coming back, the good vs. evil scientists thing should be coming to the forefront, and so on but we obviously don't get to see that. But even more so the overall "master plan" (again, pun intended) of the story... what was it, exactly?

We've had these fucking discussions ad nauseum. Of course with that cancer coming back we'll have to have them again.
>Bad characterization, especially the adult heroes, Superboy and MM. Characters that aren't annoying or grossly mischaracterized are flat as fuck
>Villains get defeated and then go "fwafwafwafwafwafwafwa All according to keikaku" without ever building towards their plan like other Weisman villains do
>piss poor fights
>shitty catchphrase writing
>garbage romance, taking up absurd amount of plot time, something YJ was not really known for, as opposed to say Spider-Man
>Cheap timeskip in place of actual character developmen in S2
It's absolutely shit, and the pain is only made worse by it being brought back instead of an actually good show like GLtAS. Fuck YJ and fuck cancerous YJfags. You're the Korrafags of Cape Cartoons.

Not really. I like the 90's show better because of nostalgia but it clearly had more faults. It had more fleshed out characters but it also lasted more than a season.

Also, to be fair. Weisman ended on a cliffhanger because the show was going to be renewed until that fiasco with disney and sony.

Kys you fucking idiot, no one cares

Look man, I'd understand the show ending on one cliffhanger. Or two.
Not 20, as per

So basically if it's not WITCH, it sucks.

Look, you can like your shitty girl cartoon all you want, but don't make a thread acting like it's a legitimate critique of another popular show just to sneak it in. We get it, you like WITCH.

I've compared it to The Batman as well. If you want another comparison, tell me which one.
Preferably from TBCEM though, so it's illustrative.

It was clear he was expecting to work with more. It's an issue he has but i won't completely fault him for a legal debacle no one saw coming.

>instead of an actually good show like GLtAS

I missed you. At least your autism is more endearing than WITCHfag's.