How the hell was this Robotnik?

How the hell was this Robotnik?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonicstadium.org/2014/06/35461/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not, it's clearly Robotnic.

Looks like an early Ixis Naugus

Looks like a Don Bluth knockoff.

Villains can have halloween costumes too, you know.

looks like the art lead was a big Zelda fan and just kept thinking Ganon

Would you a human Sally?

AoStH probably went into pre-production before the first game was even released, so sure was SoA that Sonic was going to be a hit. It wouldn't surprise me therefore if DiC wasn't given shit to work with save for a few names.

I believe this was concept art for SatAM though.

I was thinking the guy was just ripping off Don Bluth in the most generic way possible.

Maybe it's like "What if Don Bluth made a Zeloda cartoon?"

Looks like he got fused with chernabog or something

well now that just looks like too many quarters spent of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace

Then what was this the result of?

well, at some point you have to start just pulling from your own imagination/there probably weren't that many prominent sexy bunnies to rip off at the time

More like how is glowing-red Sonic eyes Naugus? I know the Hurst said it was Naugus, but it's still jarring, at least to me.

Do you think someone just really hated Robotnik's actual design?

>Electric ponytail
That screams 80s. As well as 90s.

>You spelled Robotnik with a "C"
When he'll conquer Mobius, everyone will spell it like that!

>Robotnik
I don't know what this "Robotnik" is but it sounds like apocrypha that didn't last long.

Good one.

Looks like a cross dressing Chip or Dale.

Officially, Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is just a nickname.

His grandfather isn't called Gerald Eggman after all.

Why would he willingly go by Eggman? It sounds more like an insult Sonic would throw at him, like in Sonic Adventure.

Well he does have an obsession with eggs, he named his ship the Deathegg and names his various mechs after eggs and shit

And his original design in the Genesis games made him look like a walrus, so Beatles reference.

That's because his name was always "Eggman" in Japan. American localization teams changed it to "Robotnik" without the Japanese lot knowing. It's now officially "Robotnik" to avoid confusion.

>It's now officially "Robotnik" to avoid confusion.
"No one calls me that anymore."

Because this was made during a time where video game cartoons didn't really care about being accurate.

There are drawings of Bowser, and instead they redesigned him.
Megaman is blue. They made him green.
Princess "Toadstool" has blonde hair. They made it red.

>Princess "Toadstool" has blonde hair. They made it red.
Her in game sprite had red hair so that may have contributed to it.

Just like similar mishap with Zelda cartoon made Dobson believe that TRUE & HONEST Link is meant to have brown hair.

Wasn't it actually like that in artwork for the first two games, and then he became blonde in A Link to the Past? Which was for some reason pink in game.

Apparently, it started exactly that way, just an insult Sonic made. Eggman just decided to take back the name and make it something to be proud of.

Did they just want an excuse to stick to that idiotic notion that his eyes are black voids? It kinda feels like fake designs to make the real one seem like a better idea than it was.

I know animators tend to bitch and complain when a character is depicted with shades because "muh expressions" but if you need to defy logic in a compromise, just give in or put your foot down. Either let him have his iconic glasses or he has normal eyes,Christ!

But he had normal eyes in Sonic 06 and it looked fucking weird.

That time he went crazy.
Fucking loved it.

it's just a scrap made in 3 minutes.
That's it.

Oh fuck it's Wizpig, don't fall off the road.

I heard that the guy who had to design the characters for Captain N played the games on a really shitty TV so Megaman looked green to him

Would this be good?

I am surprised there is no medieval Sonic alternative universe

What about Black Knight?

They were originally going to be one show, but split production at some point in the timeline - at least, that's what this early concept art screams to me.

Best design coming thru

Yeah, keep in mind a lot of this art probably wasn't made with Japanese illustrations as frames of reference, just in-Game sprites.

Classic is best but the Modern one is really good too, and so is Boom Eggman.

He has a DeviantArt account where he posted concept art. He had this to say.

>"I wasn't the colorist on this art, that was handled by someone else. So the Megaman colored green thing wasn't my call."

I wish he could be fat
His name is EGGman not Hunkman

But he is an upside down egg now.

Who did the art on this? A Don Bluth squire?

Mohawk Sonic bugs me.

Megamom and Megadad

Too many quarters spend on Jazz Jackrabbit.

where is this concept from anyway??

sonicstadium.org/2014/06/35461/

now when you mentioned it,

It's like his supervillain name

supposedly in archie/satam they were robotic implants
like his ears

>There are drawings of Bowser, and instead they redesigned him.
To be fair Bowser's design didn't stabilize until World
Never looked like K Rool's long lost brother like the cartoon version did, though

yep

I'd say Link's more of a dirty blond.

I'm willing to bet that Nintendo didn't bother to give them design sheets or the Japanese artwork so they just based Bowser's design on his sprite from the first game since there was literally nothing else at the time to go off of.

It's a shame they never gave Bowser a villainous cape ingame.

It'd probably be difficult with his spiky shell.