How's Your Webcomic? #422

Let's talk about making webcomics. What would it be like if pixels were hexagons? These are all good topics.
Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
imgur.com/a/q3Sv0
capeworldcomics.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>Ctrlpaint.com
>drawabox
>Or just ask YouTube

Would readers be receptive to a comic blog that regularly updated with coloured and inked pages, with a link to a sister blog that uploaded each chapter in bulk as draft sketches?

let this be the last.

Capeworld, you said you were gonna make this thread, I don't know what happened.
I do know that was pretty obviously you self-advertising. Nobody else calls it Corpse Girls.
I have no problem with self-shilling, I'm only letting you know because that's probably not a path you want to walk in these threads.

That sounds fun. Particularly for comics whose art makes me curious about the process

I find it entirely likely, as long as they're separate. Some people (autists) get salty if two different things are kept in the same place.

Alright.

Ladies and Gentlemen. ColdFusion and those who aren't pedophiles.

I present to you my naivete in High School. In 2010 (my Sophomore year), I was obsessed with webcomics; my standards were low because my family had only just gotten Internet and I kept up to date with everything from Ctrl + Alt + Del to VGCats to Dr. McNinja.

The following pages were my failed attempts at creating a webcomic in the vain of Buckley's horseshit. I present them as a cautionary tale to those who want to become successful. Throughout these 8 pages, I will be providing commentary on what and where I went wrong, so that others might avoid the same mistakes.

I present to you: Own-Edge.

May God help us all.

yeah, that seems to be the norm nowadays. a lot of webcomic artists have separate, personal blog sites where they upload concept art or other things that they draw that aren't just the webcomic.

I used the High School Library's scanner and in the last few pages used MSPaint to outline the penciling.

That's not the image I posted. Thanks, Chinese Moot.

Every second of digging through these hurts

I should also mention that you shouldn't announce a delay to your comic if you're only four pages into a series.

And having a "lolsrandum" self-insert isn't the best course of action.

God...

you could have at least tried

These are completely bland and unfunny referential humor, but they're not offensively bad. Any creator has to get a ton of shit out of their system before they can make something that's actually good, and you could've done a lot worse for your first.

It's not even so bad it's good, it's just flat and bad. Please refrain from posting more.

Yeah, she looks dressed for battle.

It's finally over

Effort wasn't part of the equation. I thought that anybody could just do anything and have a successful webcomic. Luckily I grew out of "not trying" phase and have long since improved as far as writing is concerned.

Fair enough. I'm just glad I could look back on these and learn from my mistakes.

This is the last one.

>Luckily I grew out of "not trying" phase and have long since improved as far as writing is concerned.
Prove it.

essential equipment for non-permissive office environments.

Never let your own badness hold you back from creating webcomics! Even if your comic is bad it's meaningful because you made it, and nobody else in the universe can ever be exactly you! If you don't create, nothing will be left of your consciousness when you die!!!

I like these threads, and I know the party don't start till CF walks in, but after all that mooposting I think we should end things now and let this be the last.

I will, every page uploaded to this general and to Tapas.

Newest Kevin page.

What happened to that other comic you were doing? The one set in medieval Venice?

Other circlejerks person here, sorry for the hiatus in that regard. I had a lot of university work to do the last year and other private problems father died, you know that kind of stuff so I stopped working on it and Galebourn couldn't help that much because he's only responsible for text, commentaries and cleaning there. But I wanted to continue it again, I hope I can finish the new page soon.
Thank you very much for asking, user.

My webcomic updates will be a 4x4 inch sticker posted in the lower left corner of my car's windshield with the image backwards so people can only read it by looking at it through their rearview mirror.

I'm sorry to hear that, for what it's worth coming from a perfect stranger online.
Glad you haven't abandoned it completely though, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Thanks. And yeah, the plot shouldn't be the problem, I had already drawn ~190 pages of that story years ago, but in a shitty format and I never showed it anyone. I changed a lot for the "remake" but the tone and main ideas are the same. It only has certain scenes here and there I am not sure about yet.

Hey man I like comics where people care about burritos

>My character makes me feel better about my strabismus because she never lets it get HER down!

>a lot of webcomic artists have separate, personal blog sites where they upload concept art or other things that they draw that aren't just the webcomic
We call that Patreon.

my comics are so bad that i wont ever let anyone see them anywhere
they will die with me

For anyone that is interested. I created a Group on FB called: This is the fucking Webcomic Club (Promote your webcomic here!)

If you want to show off your daily updates of your webcomic go right ahead.

why

die

But I already do that here.

Are you a retard?

>people don't know how to market their shit correctly by joining a bunch of webcomic groups.

More the better. Doesn't matter. No time to argue.

>wasting your time dumping updates where no one will care about your work
ngmi

Here's a better pic of the gang all together for the series i'm planning.

>pessimism will not get people to read your shit.

I don't need or want your grandmother liking my posts and sending me Minions memes on a daily basis. I'll stick to /hyw/, the occasional storytime, my comic's website, and Tapas; which all offer more exposure than some no name group on a website that only the elderly and out of touch use.

Feel free to act all high and mighty when maybe three people join your group and it dies off after a week.

My comic.

Starring luna luck.

why the literal FUCK would i ever use facebook
mcfucking kill yourself normie redditor

>people don't know how to market their shit correctly
>Facebook

You do realize the irony of your statement, yes?

>these niggas are mad
>the indoctrination of ignorance as a norm is true.

Holy fuck Sup Forums what happened? Did pc culture ruin you?

I think they just don't want to do it. You don't need to insult them.

And people don't need to insult you.

Sure, whatever.
Do you have an update to your webcomic or are you here to shitpost? Because if it's the latter you'll have to get behind a few tripfags.

I remember you posted these in a Sup Forums thread once. They remind me of my old shit in a way, with the randumb and whatnot.

/mlp/ is that way. I apologize that your mom didn't bring your hot pockets to you last time.

No need to get all pissy about it. Shit...

You're not getting anyone to join your circlejerk. Just delete it and pretend that it wasn't you. It's one of the many benefits of being anonymous on this site.

>I think they just don't want to do it.

That makes sense. I expected the typical Sup Forums rhetoric. People can be pretentious these days.

understandable.

>You're not getting anyone to join your circlejerk

Cool. Don't give a fuck. It's just there for people to enjoy reading your work.

Shit dude. Nothing wrong in showing off your stuff. The more the better.

I completely agree with you, but
>Tapas
I wouldn't throw stones

50 posts in and the thread is already awful.
Why do people keep making these

Watching people bicker when they should be working on comics inspires me to work harder.

shitposting is my hobby

No, send them to me, I'll keep you alive in spirit
And recontextualize them as a deep connection to a soul departed

a tragic waste - your creation deserves the world and the world needs more creations

What are your delusions of grandeur like? Interviews, people cosplaying as your characters, etc.

I will be there when these threads end, when they dwindle out of Sup Forumss existence and this place turns into somthing unrecognizable. It will be a long time till then but I will be there when these threads end.

Haha. Mine are excessively grand. I like to imagine my webcomic is one of the most popular webcomics, like I imagine it being more popular than stuff like Gunnerkrigg Court. I imagine people writing reviews in popular online newspapers and analysing my authorial intent. And I like to imagine getting a print version in libraries and book stores.

How come we don't have a link to thewebcomiclist.com?

does that have much to do with the creation of comics?

I said I'd get to it if no one else did. As for my supposed self shilling I doubt I'm the only one to accidentally call carrion girl's corpse girls.

No you'll get bored and move on to something else. Be honest.

>supposed self shilling
>supposed

why do you defend these threads? i get enjoying them, i like to watch the shitposting go down, but they're still pretty objectively awful

I mean, you literally are the only one who has said that, but it's possible someone else was repeating you.
>I said I'd get to it if no one else did
Technically you fulfilled that, I suppose, since someone else did. Drat. Foiled again.

Believe what you want.

>Pretty objectively awful

Post work.

>Post work.
Sure.

And
imgur.com/a/q3Sv0

>The mad scientist is using a sewing needle instead of a suture needle

Alright that is pretty clever.

So what is your story building to exactly?

she said earlier it was a sewing needle because it reads better
I have to agree. I've done that kind of thing myself before. a lot of real-life modern objects don't "look like themselves"
wait, you're saying the threads are awful? you enjoy shitposting?

>you enjoy shitposting?
That's why we're here, isn't it?

Corpse Girls is kinda sorta catchier than Carrion Girls. Two syllables vs Four. It's possible someone read Corpse Girls when Capes kept repeating it last thread when he talked about the group witch project thing and picked it up.

oh it definitely is, unfortunately it makes you think they themselves are corpses.
CGguy had a big discussion, as I recall, about naming, and went over a few options. Those were the days.

>Corpse Girls is kinda sorta catchier than Carrion Girls.
And Carrion My Wayward Girls is better than both.

It's going to be a dark romantic comedy. Mad scientist girl reanimates the boy as a zombie, and they get into antics trying to hook him up with his crush while hiding the fact he's a walking corpse. It gets a bit more serious as the story progresses, and there's going to be a fair bit of mushy high school romance as well.

Yes? These threads are pretty shitty, and shitposting from time to time is fun. It's entertaining watching CF act like an idiot and seeing drama go down. Those two things are the main forces that keep me here.

any one else miss bobobo?

Otherkin of my characters, gathering at conventions en masse and spitting in buckets

I am genuinely shamed that I didn't come up with that. You have outpunned me.

It's unusual seeing someone actually attach a name to negativity. Glad you're enjoying yourself anyway, you're a jewel in the thread's crown

one day you guys will bully CF too far and he'll leave forever and you will regret it

Completely and utterly. It was actually canceled for people finding it distasteful and offensive.

Good luck m8

Beautiful

Sorry.
I kinda want to make something like that. Maybe a bit more western focused. I dunno.

>one day you guys will bully CF enough and he'll leave forever and the general will finally die
at last

>no more pedoshit in the thread
nice

Hell yeah, it's my favorite anime.

capeworldcomics.com

Friday's update. We're out of the "intro" part of the first issue. Here we have our good guy, and our bad guy. They're friends now, fellow tribesmen. But this will change.

Their conversation will give insight into how each of them think and act.

As usual, comments and criticism are appreciated.

I challenge you, if you're up to it, to make something in Bo-bobo's wheelhouse but which doesn't feel like it comes from any particular country. Like it's so weird that you could believe it was from anywhere.
If you do want to make it more western focused though, I suggest you go give Pete and Pete another watch. That'll refresh you on quintessential american weirdness

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

no

I still want to have a pinch of the shonen anime genes in it for the fights. I like fights.
( an older drawing I colored better.)

If you don't, then this thread will blow up in 5 minutes.