Name one thing about her that was racist

Name one thing about her that was racist.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1xf3Bcp-nbw
youtube.com/watch?v=k_oEOdIBOpU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

she is black

This beautiful strong black woman who don't need no man is portrayed as being dependant on a male cat whose name is choosen to emphasise his gender.

The stereotypes.

>wow showing black skin on television racist much

She rapes her cats.

her name is "Mammy"

Black person here. Growing up I never saw this as racist or offensive and as I grew, I still didn't understand why. To me she was just a housekeeper. I've noticed that other races have found anything black was "racists" to the point just being black was an offense. Someone I knew thought it was racist to feature a black character with an afro. All and all y'all need to just chill. Now excuse me while I order me up some fried chicken and drink my purple stuff.

Tell that to Whoopi Goldberg.

They redubbed her to remove her racist mammy voice from future releases.
>To me she was just a housekeeper
They removed any reference to her being a maid in current releases of old shorts.

>They redubbed her to remove her racist mammy voice from future releases.

By which they erased one of the first black VAs

good job

>You can be black, you just can't be black in a way we don't like.

Political correctness comes at a price

I'm sure she probably had the face. But it was never seen, so, hell, she's just a sassy lady who gets shit done and beats the shit out of, what I assume to be, her master's cat.

>people conveniently forget that she owns the house in later episodes
But no, that's racist too.

How current, early 90s? That's around the time I used to watch and think that. My perception of time is fucked up these days. There are adults these days that have never seen these cartoons.

It is politically correct to call someone African-American while any implication that African-Americans have anything to do with Africa is considered racist. Hell, black guy playing the bass or jazz or rapping is racist too. All branching roots are racist. A PC spook(person of color) is devoid of all culture. The only favorable thing you can say about spook(politically correct term), is that they're sexy, have big dicks and big tits/ass.

And its no wonder, as this thought is being driven by sexual predators and deviants in California.

I prefered her WAY over the white woman
t. actual black woman

She never owns the house that was another change to reduce any racist stigma attached to her character.
I would say around the 2000s tv release of the shorts has her voice redubbed. When DVD collections came out of the MGM shorts they used those versions instead of the originals.

youtube.com/watch?v=1xf3Bcp-nbw
>a party?
>at MY house?
It's the original voice too.

If Lillian Randolph were still alive, I'm sure she would be devastated to know they recorded over her.
Good job, fuckers.

A lot of it has to do with the entertainment industry; stock black characters went from being that to racist and instead of just saying 'hey it was a different time' they did shit like record over people.

>She never owns the house that was another change to reduce any racist stigma attached to her character.
In the redubs of the very old ones they make her the owner of the house.
But like posted she also had her own home and was Tom's owner.
>I would say around the 2000s tv release of the shorts has her voice redubbed.
The redubs go back to the 90s tv releases and VHS releases.
In the 2000s they started to draw her character with white skin or light skin.

Is the "Looney Tunes and racism" thread not enough, do we really need this shitposting to be multiprongued?

A lot of black maids at that time stayed with the owners. Unless they had a family of their own that is.
So it wouldn't be odd if she was a live in maid and the white owners were away.

I liked her and never understood the outrage, she's on the same level as Eve from madam and Eve to me. Having lived in south africa, it's not uncommon to get black cleaners to help out in the house so maybe I'm just jaded to the issue.

If all the Tom and Jerry happen in someone else's house, why do we literally only ever see the maid and not the owners?

Details?

Then why did Jerry call Mammy instead of these white owners?

Mammy whooped ass

youtube.com/watch?v=k_oEOdIBOpU

>"Ones mo's breakin's and you's going out 'OWT' out!"
And you wonder why they edited it

Yeah, fascism.

I think it had to do with the fact that back in those days black people's only portrayals were as being 'the help' and nothing else. I suppose it's kind of like watching a white guy eat a mayo sandwich and you ask 'what's racist about this?' and you don't really know any kind of context behind it.

Honestly that's pretty tasteful

Probably her name was racist, but I loved this character.

She's literally called Mammy

There is no outrage. No one cared. And no one cares now because no one cares about old cartoons (they don't even make a fuss about Betty Boop). There is a dull understanding that her early appearances in which she was Mammy from Gone With the Wind portrayed a negative anachronistic stereotype and so these episodes were quietly brushed under the rug and her later appearances were made more modern.

And then they stopped showing Tom and Jerry.

And then you read a blogpost on tumblr about how she's a racist stereotype and then you came here to try and validate your baseless outrage.

Dwyane Wade Jr. is named like that because his grandma didn't know how to spell it and named his father Dwyane. I imagine it was fairly common for poor black folk (especially women) to not know how to write still at the time, for very real historical reasons, and pretending otherwise would be unfair.

The "mammy" character is a display of when blacks could not afford to allow mothers to take care of their own children, so they would earn meager pay by taking care of white children in order to feed the ones they never got to see enough of.

Yes, the character is shown as loving and gentle if not in some ways witty and tough, but this is all a sacrifice, and then whites saw it as an ideal instead of a job, and expected black women to thank the white man for this opportunity.

Think of all the problems related to the domesticity of women in the 50's in media, and then multiply that by a minstrel show or two.

I grew up in a country were having black maids/nannies is common so I always thought she was perfectly normal and not racist.

She's not portrayed as a nanny, nor as having children of her own.

Am I the only one that thought she wasTHICC?

Black people having grandmothers or role models of any kind is unrealistic and creates impossible standards to live up to.
Seriously though not a goddamned thing, She actually reminds me of my great grandma and I recall getting yelled at for saying that as a kid.

It's common in America too.

What stereotypes would those be?
That elderly black women exist?
1:Is that actually her name?
2:Even if it is so what?
I watched this video and she never actually gets around to explaining why "mammy" was racist I can only assume she doesn't really have a reason.

She had a face?
I thought she was like the parents in Cow and Chicken and just didn't have anything that wasn't in frame

All of this.

In and of herself she's not a particularly offensive portrayal; I could argue that the redubbed versions are *completely* inoffensive, at least to an innocent kid who doesn't get the background.

Unfortunately, context is everything, and in the internet age we can't escape:

A) the fact that everyone knows the word Mammy, and the fact that the character was originally called "maid" in all the production documents, and so on. She becomes controversial more because of what her image meant when she was created, because of the specific baggage of 1941, than because of any intended hurt in the portrayal.

B) the fact that trolls and edgelords use the character as a meme to taunt black kids today (see pic related)—again less because the character is stupid offensive than because she's a stand-in for her era, and the trolls know that too and are using her as that.

As long as the only problem with her was (A), the redubbed versions could air on TV. Once (B) became a problem about five years ago, her cartoons seem to have been eliminated from the package in any form.

Mammy was an old term used to describe the depiction of the stereotypical working class black mother character found in minstrel shows.
The name comes from a slang term used by lower class southerners that literally meant "mom".
I know people try really hard to find racism in everything, but that doesn't mean that actual racist stuff didn't exist.

>I am offended by "thing" therefore "thing is offensive"
I am offended by your offense therefore your offense is offensive, cease at once.

People like you are what suck the fun out of life and art

Bingo. Edgelords latched onto the fact that the original, uncensored Mammy Two-Shoes was a little shady; deliberately used her to troll the easily offended, then couldn't take it when the easily offended struck back. The shitstorm, not the character itself, caused the character's removal.

A: "Dindus are offended by Mammy because 1941. Let's kid them about it"

B: "Nazis are attacking us, let's strike back"

A: "Fucking entitled SJWs are striking back, let's hit them back BACK, using more pictures of Mammy... we'll show them,"

B: "Why, you... #$%@ #$#!"

Warner exec: "Sure was a nice character, too bad you can't see it."

By explaining shit?

I like Mammy (and, within the cartoons, feel for her given the insane animals she had to put up with). I don't think she was really causing any trouble until assholes deliberately used her to troll others.

I wish to hell it hadn't caused the films to get banned.

>Now excuse me while I order me up some fried chicken and drink my purple stuff.
Another black person here, you were fine up to this point. No need for the tryhard attitude.

For the record, stereotypes exist for a reason. Mammy may make some people uncomfortable, but I've met mammy-types throughout my life, there's nothing offensive about her, unless reality bothers you.

came here to post this.

Her voice.

It got banned because oversensitive bitches like you get oversensitive with banter. Why would we want something banned when you people are the ones that do it?

What do you mean by "you people?"

Nijares of course

I'm not even sure who "we" are. Or "you people." (AAs?)

People getting oversensitive with banter, frankly on all sides (trolls AND sjws) is exactly what I was blaming.

Why would the trolls want a joke to be censored? It's you sjws who want that

>the fact that everyone knows the word Mammy
You're really overestimating 10 year olds who might want to watch Tom and Jerry. Did you know about this when you were a kid?
People of any color can be maids.

>the fact that trolls and edgelords use the character as a meme to taunt black kids today (see pic related)
Is that actually a thing though? Where did you save that picture from?

>To me she was just a housekeepe
Its implied that she owns the house. Shes shown going out on the town a few times and she has nice clothes for that.

Im usually the bleesing heart liberal pc type, but the skin lightening is double bullshit.

The way you put it, it really doesn't sound that racist m8, just an outdated trope.

"Ain't nobody got time for that" Lady is actually doing pretty well for herself.

Of course you didn't see it as racist
Only pasty white scrawny liberal numales did, now sit your black ass down and let massa tell you what you should be offended by

I wish to put my penis inside that large-breasted African-American cat owner.

>A) the fact that everyone knows the word Mammy
Are Irish people inherently racist now? Because mom/mum and all it's derivatives is 'mam" in Ireland. Including mammy.

Yes, the Irish are subhuman, and were blessed by the British to take care of them.

I sincerely wish they kept her. She's the best part of the whole franchise.

Some see her as too close to being the maid stereotype. Personally, I don't speak for other people, but I wish she could stay a regular.

My God...are you guys retarded or something?

At first, Mammy Two Shoes was in fact just a maid in the house, but after some episodes Hanna and Barbera seemed to suggest, through dialogue and occasional behavior, that the house was Mammy's own.

It's not that complicated, guys. It's like a retcon.

same in never seeing her as any other thing than a fucking bg character

>some see her as too close to being the maid stereotype
neat and tidy? what'd they prefer- messy and lazy? then that would be racist too.
you can't win when everything is offensive, why don't others get this?

I'm guessing a lot of us haven't watched them in order, it's not like there's supposed to be heavy continuity.

thanks

T H I C C

Wait do you mean all black woman are not like this?

I honestly always thought she owned the house and Tom.

Mammy and (Uncle) Tom

Except instead of appreciating the historical context the most common way to interpret shit like that is "niggers are just inferior and hate books". If the context is gonna be ignored then fuck it I guess

Calvin?

Funny, because every fucking Wednesday I gotta filter a half dozen threads crying about how south park made fun of the god emperor.

RULE BRITANNIA!

Oh no people complaining, that's totally equal to censorship, TOTALLY not false equivalency

Who is ignoring the context here except you?