X-MEN: RED

>“As an X-Men fan, as a Jean Grey fan, as a Mahmud Asrar fan, and as a Travis Charest fan, to be asked to write X-Men Red is a dream,” Taylor said in a statement. “The time is right for an X-Men book like this, and I'm very excited about the story we're telling in these pages. I'm excited for Jean Grey's vision for the world, and I can't wait for Marvel readers to meet our team of established fan-favorites and brand new mutants, and to see them in action. To write a core X-Men book is to walk in the footsteps of giants, so I'm hoping my secret mutant ability is sudden foot-growth.”

>“Jean Grey has been one of my favorite characters ever since the 'Dark Phoenix Saga,' so I'm pretty excited to be a part of her return,” added Asrar. “The stories we plan to tell really capture the essence of the X-Men I read lovingly growing up. It’s just a delight to be working with this team. I have been working on many components of this book, including the designs of the characters old and new, and I haven't been this eager to see the response to this book in a long while.”

>“Tom has captured the spirit of a quintessential X-Men book,” said series editor Mark Paniccia. “It’s got dynamic hero moments, great character interactions, and a surprise villain at the end. Mahmud is doing some of the best work of his career, going into this fully charged and designing cool new costumes for our eclectic team. I’m thrilled to have Travis on covers for this series. I’ve always thought of him as one of the industry’s best artists. It’s a real honor to have him as part of the X-Men Red crew.”

X-Men Red #1 is due out on shelves February 7.

Other urls found in this thread:

mahmudasrar.deviantart.com/art/30-60-90-Black-Queen-132027763
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So which book was cancelled?

Just tell us who's on the team

I can't wait until they do another contrived pheonix event oh boy oh boy. at least Morrison's hot room shit kept her away this long (not counting past jean)

Please be Guggs

And Generation X

And Weapon X

...the X-line sucks a lot right now

Jean Gray I guess

How long until Jean and Logan sleep together?

I give it 7 issues.

This. I'm so tired of "HEY LOOK! IT'S JEAN!"

this interview is literally a whole lot of nothing. Why bother posting this press release here?

But if this is a team book and a core book, it means part of the popular characters will have to split since most of them are between Gold and Blue.

My guess is Blue will be cancelled.

I'm lonely. I just want to talk about X-Men

Gold and Blue aren't using even half of the popular characters. Blue isn't even using the real ones, just alternate versions
Rogue, Gambit and Psylocke are all in Astonishing which is just a 12 issue maxi

Jean Grey will be cancelled, because it was literally a book about Jeen getting ready for the real Jean coming

Weapon X isnt getting cancelled, there will be a new story with the same team, it actually sells well

Gen X and Iceman might get cancelled after issue 12

I can see Gen X being canceled. I tried to be generous and give it a chance but nothing is happening in it. There is no goal. Shit's all over the place.

I actually liked the first hald of Iceman about coming out of the closet to his parents.
The book (as in, take it as a 12 issues book) became crap in the second half about him getting his first boyfriend.
The big problem is they gave him a boring flatscan civilian original character boyfriend.
It made me realize I would rather have been reading a Rictor and Shatterstar book.

I don't like this costume.

in cbr with no evidence some people think it may be that it is helping her contain her powers.

The writer, Sina Grace is just awful. Go to his youtube channel and look at his writing and acting. It's terrible.

I hope they use her Eve of Destruction team

Dazzler, Northstar and Frenzy

When was the last time Taylor wrote something that wasn't immediately forgettable?

His All New Wolverine book is serviceable.

He's finally put the Trigger scent/Kimura nonsense to rest

>worst xman is back
>book written by an islam

why?

Is Magik on a book?

For the team I want...
-Logan... he's back and now he and Jean will be an official couple in 616, 100% fanservice.
-Beast... Uncanny Avengers will be canceled during No Surrender.
-Havok.
-Polaris... I don't want her in Blue.
-Jubilee... I don't like her but I'm sure Generation X will be canceled soon.
-Dazzler.

>brand new mutants

>by an islam

?????????

>100% fanservice

Which fans are served by this exactly?

Shit taste

Magik is stuck in an Inhumans book

Jesus christ why the fuck would they put best girl in a fucking shit humans book?

Because Guggenheim and Bunn didn't put her on either of their teams so she was available

Blue is just the O5, and there's plenty of popular characters not featured in Gold.

Too much like her nineties costume. Wish it had more of a Phoenix motif and no head gear.

Blue also has Ultimate Jimmy Wolverine and Bloodstorm. It's basically the fanfiction book of alternates. And it sucks. Alot. A whole lot. The whole X line needs to be Phoenix'd a la the end of GMoz's run.

The same reason you attach Spider-man to a shitty book that doesn't sell.

Still don't understand why Rosenberg doesn't write it. He is writer of Phoenix Resurrection, huge x-fag and marvel exclusive.

>Too much like her nineties costume.

It was obvious they were going for that while trying to still cover her up

It's a terrible line up but the writing is decent. Better than pretty much all of the other books right now

>Beast

...is disgusting and doesnt deserve to be in anything other than Hell.

Maybe they will give him Uncanny after they merge all this shit together

The fuck is this pokemon?

She is the sister of Zero from Megaman X

I'm talking about X-Men with the names. Red, Blue, Gold.

Jean Grey sucks.

Bring back Rightclops.

>Jean Grey gets to be the leader of TWO X-Men teams because muh vagina/muh grrl power
>Wolverine is alive
>Rightclops gets nothing
Sigh.....

X-Men Blue is getting a team shakeup after the Venom crossover

Mania when?

Mania is probably getting killed off by Lee considering he’s stealing her symbiote.

Royals

Cyclops will return in a full blown event, not sandwiched between the returns of Chuck, Jean and Logan, they need to create a new character to take his spot as head revolutionary so he can come back and be a hero

I like this as the core group, I'd also add Emma for maximum drama and some freakish brute mutant(Beast, after he's finished shucking and Jiving for the Avengers), Pixie for 'porting and promote one of the students to full time X-Man.

the other direction I'd go is full psychics and the team would be Jean, Emma, Chuck if he can walk, Lady Masterminds, Cuckoos, Hellion, Kid Omega and Karma and just invoke the spirit of Morrison all the time

either way first villain is going to be Cassnadra Nova screencap it.

>there are people on this earth who will actually read this bullshit
This is why comics are shit now. There are literally no good characters left and if by some miracle they are, they're shoved into the background of a dead book(Magik).

I'm using characters that aren't in other teams or dead...

I agree but hey... he's a classic character and once UA is canceled I'm sure we will see him in a main X-Men or Avenger team.

>book written by an islam
>Jean is back to wearing head gear again
Makes sense honestly

Jean will have a boring team of classic x-men

-Jean
-Gambit (this one is almost sure, one of the editors said someone from the Rogue-Gambit pairing will be in a new book, Rogue is an avenger, it will be Gambit)
-Iceman (Iceman just moved to California because he is in no team currently)
-the real Wolverine to fuck Jean raw
-and perhaps Storm

Actually looking him up he has a bunch of lewd pinups

Wolverine fans.

They've been denied real Wolverine since 2014, so expect a lot of Marvel pandering to Wolverine fans.

They really need to just call an end to the teen O5, Old Man Logan, and all the other alt-timeline characters with some kind of event the sends them all home. Make it a crossover with the Spider-Man books and send all the Ultimate Universe characters back too.

Then replace Blue with a Magneto team book that Bunn would clearly prefer to be writing.

>Jubilee... I don't like her but I'm sure Generation X will be canceled soon.

Get raped

Fucking Claremont wants Logan X Jean. That is honestly his OTP. Which makes me think Claremont is an autist based on the way early Logan interacts with Jean

Nobody gave a shit about him when he was dying.
His books all sucked and we all just wanted him gone

They seem to be selling Jean's return as an attempt to appeal to the segment of fandom that felt the X-books went in the wrong direction during the Morrison era, and have gone increasingly more wrong afterwards. There aren't many of those fans here, but they appear to be the target audience.

Filling this team with characters from the 2000s and 2010s instead of characters older fans regard as the classics would be missing the point.

He's pretty good. Looking forward to the hidden islamic terrorist messages in his art.

>Fucking Claremont wants Logan X Jean. That is honestly his OTP. Which makes me think Claremont is an autist based on the way early Logan interacts with Jean

Early Claremont wrote it as a one-sided infatuation that Logan largely got over, and Mariko was his 'true' love-interest.

But then Wolverine became the most popular X-Men character, and Claremont retconned Jean into having always been attracted to him, and wouldn't let it go.

Sometimes when the editors block writers from doing whatever they want, they're not the bad guy, they're doing it to protect the characters and to protect the readers.

>Cyclops will return in a full blown event, not sandwiched between the returns of Chuck, Jean and Logan, they need to create a new character to take his spot as head revolutionary so he can come back and be a hero
So... Cable? Since that was basically his thing in the 00's, even though Marvel Editorial tried to pretend it didn't happen?

Also didn’t Cable stand by his dad post AvX? I know that weren’t on a team together but I’m pretty sure they were on the same “side”

>more "classic X-men"
Gross. I've had my fill of that nonsense between Lemire and Guggenheim and the O5
Pandering to Claremont nostalgia isn't going to fix what's wrong with the X-Books

this is a huge stretch, we haven't read Jean's return nor know who is on this team, this is just your own imagination.

That costume suggests it may be more "1990s nostalgia" than "Claremont nostalgia".

And even if it doesn't fix anything, if they at least 'feel' like an X-Men comic, they'll have a guaranteed audience. This is why Gold is selling well despite being one of the most mediocre and unmemorable books Marvel is publishing.

Pandering to Morrison nostalgia isn't going to fix anything, and the only audience it would appeal to are more likely to be reading Morrison's current work instead.

>what is "having a comma in the right place, at the right time"

While I enjoyed OML overall it pisses me off the real Logan is saved for a shitty Infinity War style event.

>Claremont retconned Jean into having always been attracted to him

Huh, can you point out the time this happened?

I'm far from a Jean fan, but she's never gotten a chance to be her own character. She's always been associated with Scott or Logan. And usually with her old teammates.

I wish Jean left the X-books and did her own thing in space or join the Starjammers or something.

Classic X-Men #1. The series reprinted X-Men from the start of the 1970s 'all-new, all-different' team onwards, plus newly written backup stories set at the same time. #1's backup had Jean leaving the team to get away from Logan because she was scared of her feelings for him.

No-one knows if Claremont did this because he loved Logan, if he was trying to make thinks awkward for any efforts to get Scott and Jean back together in X-Factor, or some other reason.

After Claremont left in 1991, the idea of Jean and Logan was dropped, outside of AU stories like the Age of Apocalypse. This lasted until Casey and Morrison revisited it in 2001, likely influenced by the first movie.

Read the interviews about the Phoenix miniseries that precedes this book, user. Marvel have found people who consider Jean to be "the soul of the X-Men" and feel that the books went wrong when they killed her.

The idea that they're aiming for readers who agree with those sentiments isn't much of a stretch.

Wolverine being in love with Jean was very present in the 90s because of the cartoon.

He has a few pics of Jean, as well.

The hell is going on with that butt?

>The hell is going on with that butt?

Speed-drawing it in 42 minutes, apparently.
mahmudasrar.deviantart.com/art/30-60-90-Black-Queen-132027763

all the old core characters are in books already unless you want this team to be Jean, Havoc, Sunfire, Banshee, Forge, Moira and Thunderbird

they've got nostalgia covered, the current storyline is X-Men vs Nostalgia.

what ugly armor.

are there really that many fans of 90s Lobdell X-Men for example?

>Wolverine being in love with Jean was very present in the 90s because of the cartoon.

But not in the comics, user. The comics and the cartoon were not exactly the same.

I am afraid of Emma becoming a Jean villain, as in, part of her rogue gallery.

In cbr xbooks it seems like Jean fans want Jean to resurrect so she can slutshame Emma for sleeping with Cyclops. As if the Phoenix were the impeach Clinton 90s campaign of the Lewinsky affair.

Astonishing is a limited series so she could potentially steal Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Bishop and adult Angel
Iceman has a solo book but he could potentially join this team as well
Emma, Dazzler, any one of the New Mutants or X-Factor members

And yet, in the comics, Jean and Scott were married, raised Cable together, and generally happy outside of one arc where the O5 worked together and she started showing of Phoenix effects.

I think Nostalgia for 90s cartoon and stuff like Marvel vs Capcom, and the first 2 X-Men movies, is greater than nostalgia for actual 90s x-men comics.

I find comics from Proteus to Extinction Agenda, and from Morrison to Gillens Uncanny, much better than your average 90s comic (even if I love AoA)

Jean has always been Emma's personal kryptonite.

I don't imagine that there are many that still care, with the amount of turnaround and changes in the franchise since then.

Like, I'm having trouble thinking of a single character from that era that hasn't bounced around through like three different personalities (with one of the them evil most of the time) since then.

The character continuity, the through line that'd keep you character fagging somebody, just isn't there I don't think.

Cecilia Reyes has been pretty consistent

I really love his Batman/Superman story. It was really cute.

There are probably more of them than you think. Lots of Claremont fans from the 1980s and even 1970s are still around. Fans of the Lobdell and Nicieza X-Men are going to be younger than them.

>is the best selling comic series of the 90's popular

uhh yeah it's the iconic X-Men, with big iconic moments, does it hold up as well as newer or older stuff probably not, but it was a solid fun comic book

I know Sup Forums is full of Emma waifufags, but does anyone else actually want her to stay a villain for this to happen?

I may be wrong, but I think before Morrison they only saw each other 2 times, and both times Emma ended in coma.
The first one during the Dark Phoenix Saga, when Emma had kidnapped all the X-Men, pretty much her factory blew up during her fight with Phoenix Jean and everybody thought she was dead. Must have been like 1980. She was in coma until Cockrum begun drawing the book again, Jean was already dead.

And then in 1991 when Trevor Fitzroy killed all the Hellions, Emma fainted or was in coma, and Jean swapped minds with her. She was in coma until she swapped minds with Iceman, then she moved to Generation X with Banshee.

the next time they saw each other was the ruins of Genosha in Morrison's run, with dead Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Emma's arms.

That's all I know, but mid to late 90's is my x-men black hole.

In the recent Jay and Miles where they have Claremont at comiccon he said Jean and Logan is is OTP

I don't want it because for me shippers are disturbing, almost borderline on mentally ill.
In this what if Cyclops is president of the USA, married to Emma. First mutant president, comparable to Obama.
Jean Phoenix comes and makes Emma disappear from reality while she sleepts with Scott, only Cyclops remembers his wife. His secret services dont understand what he talks about when he says his wife disappeared.
Then Jean says she did it because he is not ready to be president, because bad things will happen during his administration, and that she can help him undo this present, which he wont remember at all, by changing the past.
She does that, and in the next page you have Cyclops married to Jean and Emma clapping.

That is how crazy they are.
I think the only way to prevent this is making Emma start sleeping with another man, Shaw or whoever, but it wont happen. She will be the guardian of Scott's corpse.

I wish jean stayed dead after the fucking dark phoenix saga

Well in Claremont's ideal world, Cyclops would still be retired and married to Madelyne Pryor. He's still pretty vocally upset over Marvel ruining that.

Plus, let's be frank, Claremont kinda lost his mind after being kicked off of X-Men in the nineties, and his input on it since then has been average and very strange at best.

It is a homage to Frank Miller

>Must have been like 1980
It was like literally the issue after Kitty and Dazzler were introduced.

>I think the only way to prevent this is making Emma start sleeping with another man, Shaw or whoever, but it wont happen.

She's got options with her new team. She can choose Havok or Bastion.

>Travis Charest covers

So happy to see him doing comic stuff, I thought he left the industry since I have not seen anything by him in years.