Update to the story: sorry I was too lazy for a time stamp this times

Update to the story: sorry I was too lazy for a time stamp this times

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
The son has given me his phone number to discuss the cels with him. Should I ignore this, or call and see if he’s willing to put in an offer?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Kerry
d23.com/remembering-ginni-mack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Give it a try at least, I still think an auction or something would be your best bet.
Also I would hold on to at least one for posterity's sake.

ignore

Wouldnt he be able to sue you or something, considering you have the property of his father? Didn't read up on all the info so spoonfeed me

>try to do the 'right thing'
>will probably get fucked for it
You can always use more money, fuck the son.

it's no longer his fathers property if it was sold to a thrift store where op bought it

No. He said he believed these were from cels his aunt stole from his father, however the note says these were given from his father to a cousin that he has no knowledge of. And disputing the origin would dispute the letter as evidence

Possession really is 9/10ths of the law user. Especially with your paper trail, just keep a hard line with him if he has a sob story for you.

This

Alright, I’m gonna call. Will keep the thread informed

No answer, left a voice mail

Do not capitulate to sob stories, there are people who win the lottery and suddenly find they are getting calls from family members they didnt know existed who are also sick and need help with medical payments. You flat out own them user, despite who stole them back then(if thats true) they belong to you now definitively, there is no paper trail to say anything is true, all that is true is that YOU bought them legally and because of that you have ownership of them. It would be different if there was a paper trail of it exchanging hands.

You should learn about who he is. If its some smack head living in a shitty neighbourhood it says more about his intent than if it was an animation buff who collects things.

Well it was a fascinating phone call. He told me a lot of history about his father, his own personal history, an his mother’s story(she was the model for tinker bell).
He told me the backgrounds are what are important to him as they were likely paintings by his father , but because he was just starting st Disney in 1936, he was uncredited. Saying he didn’t get his first real credit until 1942.
Ultimately though, he wanted me to just give them to me, conveniently Telling me he has business in my area on Tuesday.
In his own words
> “wouldn’t the right thing be to give them back to the family they were taken from?”
>”you know, these were things he valued. He protected them. He wanted us to have them and he was really upset when they were taken and so were we.”
>”thank you for telling about these. It’s reslly given some closure to a big family mystery and if there is anything I can tell you to convince you to give them to me, they would mean the world to my family. Or if not, no hard feelings, but can you try and get me high quality scans of them?”
Naturally I told him I’d keep in touch, but I never let him believe I would just give them to him, because I’m not an idiot. And when Intold him the value they were appraised at, he told me he was “shocked to know they are worth that much” and they’re “beyond my means as a retired man.”
He then asked who appraised them and said he could assist in their sale since he knew several reps. I didn’t disclose that information

Well, the way the conversation could have gone in a variety of ways, yours went all right.
Thanks for sharing your experience, user.

>she was the model for tinker bell
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Kerry

The old man cant give too much of a sob story since his dad shouldn't have had the cells in the first place.

No matter what happens, do not give those away for nothing, if he wants scans and is content with that then thats more than fine. I would be curious why he just happens to be in the area and just happens to know sales reps and wants to know who appraised them. Think about how he would be surprised to learn the value but would also claim to know buyers.

Margaret Kerry was the model for Tinker Bell, do not let on that you know her name but ask him who it was and see how he reacts. If he struggles to recall he could be looking it up on the spot, who would forget their mothers name.

If he is actually trying to make contact with you I would take someone with you for it user.

How much are they worth?

The highest appraisal I got said between $13,000 - $20,000.
The lowest was about $10,000

He’s currently developing a new VR experience that procedurally generates sculptures as the viewer flies throw it, which an attempt to create a long lasting psychological effect. A local technology museum here is meeting with him to see about displaying it. This is mostly true because I found a 40 minute interview with him in August promoting this.
however, there is no way that he isn’t paying a ton of money to develope this, $20,000 doesn’t seem like a lot in comparison and he didn’t even offer a small amount of money. Just that I should give them to him

That much for all of them? Are you going to keep one?

There is some validity to his story
d23.com/remembering-ginni-mack/

All of them yes. He just emailed me again asking if I could give him one and sell the rest, which I also don’t think I will do. He could offer to buy one, but I won’t be giving it for free

I wouldn't hand it over for free either. Good luck to you OP

Fight it in court if you must, you came upon them justly and you should be compensated for being made to part with something so valuable that you acquired by legit means, it doesnt need to be messy just let him know where you stand, you found them.
>buy an old watch from a boot sale and put it up for sale on ebay
>it has someones name on the backof it
>"hey that was my dads, arent you going to give it to me? He lost it years ago"
It doesnt work like that, it has sentimental value to him but it has actual value to you and you paid for it. If he wants one for free just sell him one for cheaper than the appraised price, in good faith, but absolutely do not give them away.

Again, he is not entitled to them simply because his dad owned them at one point. This isnt about being a money hungry jew here, that is alot of money that he expects you to just give to him for nothing but a thank you.

I'd give him a good deal since he is the guy's son (maybe half of what it's worth).

I'm just reading about this today, seriously OP please dont give them away for free, If you really REALLY wont keept them at least make some money out of it or donate them to a museum, but I'd seriously recommend you to keep them with an insurance.

You may not love these kind of things but chances are you might eventually know someone who does.

Anyways, thanks for keeping us up to date with the story so far, congrats on your finding!

If they were sold without his knowledge or permission, it's still stolen property.

There is disputes as to who’s property they were before being donated
But he has no legal claim