Are the Darth Vader comics any good?

Are the Darth Vader comics any good?

Not really.

If you dont mind the fact they threw out the old cannon to start fresh, then yes they are pretty good

first one was good, haven't read the new Charles Soule comic.

Gillen's run was trying too much in my mind and really veered away from Vader as a character, but its a decent comic that takes place in the Star Wars canon

Gillen's run is decent to good. Haven't read the new writer.

They're mostly just okay, but have great moments.

Bump

They're all right.

The OCs in Gillen's run will make or break the run for you, honestly. If you don't mind them, you'll like the run. If you can't stand them, you'll hate it.

I'm a miserable fuck who hates the new Disney Wars canon and I still have to acknowledge that both Darth Vader series have been great.

Giving Vader a fun little supporting cast was a really interesting idea. He's always paired with bland officers or one-dimensional evil dudes so he doesn't have much to bounce off of. With Aphra and the gang you can feel more of his personality coming out.

Then the sequence ends with

that fifth panel every god damn time.

That's probably the worst part of the series: The book uses a lot of referenced material, and it can be heavily distracting if you recognize where the pictures come from

I've read a few; it's good so far for me at least.

What Star Wars comics are worth reading in general.

lost command was pretty good

No, they are not. As with all the modern Marvel Star Wars it is written by people who do not understand the characters they are writing for and the dialogue is so poor that you cannot imagine the actors speaking the lines without completely rewriting it. In the case of the Darth Vader comic, the biggest problem is simply that James Earl Jones could never deliver this shithouse dialogue without breaking character.

"The Purge" Trilogy was quite good.
Ghost Prison
The Ninth Assasin
Star Wars Tales #9 when he fights the Darth Maul clone.

The current Vader series didn't take off till #5.

Issue 5 was great, how many times a day do you guys think Vader’s contemplates suicide?

It would have been so much better without his OCs, especially Aphra. Her cracking jokes in front of the effort was the lanest moment in modern Marvel-Star Wars.

I love this part

Eh, it would have been better given the payoff. sadly she had to survive dammit.

I feel like the bland officer dudes work better than evil R2 and 3PO. That was pretty lame.

the new 2017 one is amazing, I love it so much. the comic in your pic related? meh. but seriously, the new one is a great look at Vader, first arc shows him getting his red lightsaber, second is training inquisitors, both involve hunting down Jedi

every fuckin day brah

also loving this superior Spider-Man art

That's awesome.

They're better than any regular universe Marvel title.

They aren't bad. But Gillen needed a better artist for what he was trying to do.

What's with his cape?

And why is that dweeby commander dissing him?