2017 Best Animated Feature Oscar

oscars.org/news/26-animated-features-submitted-2017-oscar-race

The Academy has release its list of movies submitted and qualified for the 2017 Best Animated Feature.

“The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales”
“Birdboy: The Forgotten Children”
“The Boss Baby”
“The Breadwinner”
“Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie”
“Cars 3”
“Cinderella the Cat”
“Coco”
“Despicable Me 3”
“The Emoji Movie”
“Ethel & Ernest”
“Ferdinand”
“The Girl without Hands”
“In This Corner of the World”
“The Lego Batman Movie”
“The Lego Ninjago Movie”
“Loving Vincent”
“Mary and the Witch’s Flower”
“Moomins and the Winter Wonderland”
“My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea”
“Napping Princess”
“A Silent Voice”
“Smurfs: The Lost Village”
“The Star”
“Sword Art Online: The Movie - Ordinal Scale”
“Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming”

Of these movies, 15 of them had limited to nominal releases in the United States.

Other urls found in this thread:

thegirlwithouthands.com
youtube.com/watch?v=Ta2PMn-nXlY
highschoolsinking.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=BdGKrvM9KgE
nappingprincess.com
youtube.com/watch?v=oT6vxe4aoy0
thebreadwinner.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=0KnJ5Zu1qEk
gkids.com/films/mary-and-the-witchs-flower/
youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0YYNgNr7A
gkids.com/films/the-big-bad-fox-other-tales/
youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A
gkids.com/films/birdboy/
youtube.com/watch?v=BvZEJlTXyXo
elevenarts.net/asilentvoice/
youtube.com/watch?v=E7utbHbxDAM
inthiscorneroftheworld.com
youtube.com/watch?v=qTCYx-6CUU8
lovingvincent.com
youtube.com/watch?v=bRDSTw6mNwY
windowhorses.com
youtube.com/watch?v=Viiui3v-ncg
ethelandernestthemovie.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=JXDlEw5u8u8
moominswonderland.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=0jbgHqm1Djs
youtube.com/watch?v=lwRM12OiZK8
sao-movie.net/us/
youtube.com/watch?v=32FLqOWjUfI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Emoji Movie
>Smurfs
>Lego Ninjago
>Cars 3

I know the industry doesn't really give a shit about the animated category, but do the studios just submit everything and hope for the best, or do they think this shit is deserving

The Lego Batman Movie wins and it's not even close.

First, the GKIDS movies

THE GIRL WITHOUT HANDS

thegirlwithouthands.com

Of the GKIDS movies, I thought this one was the best. It's a classic fairy tale with all the nasty stuff left in, drawn in a very original style. I was only moderately interested in the story though.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ta2PMn-nXlY

Likely if it doesn't go to Disney, it goes to Breadwinner.

I'm proud to say I've never seen a single Oscar/Grammy/whatever award show & I only become more glad every year.

MY ENTIRE HIGH SCHOOL SINKING INTO THE SEA

highschoolsinking.com/

A US film from GKIDS. Very unique looking, but I found the artistic style tiring.

youtube.com/watch?v=BdGKrvM9KgE

nappingprincess.com

An anime import from GKIDS, crossing teens-in school animes with sci-fi animes. I liked the lead character, but the movie felt like a commercial for self propelling cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=oT6vxe4aoy0

Lego Batman deserves it. Knowing the Academy, though, they'll hand it to Disney-shit like Coco or Cars 3.

And if that's how they're gonna play, then I hope Despicable Me 3 wins.

>No My Little Pony Movie

List worthless, Oscars once again worthless.

Darn, I forgot the poster

To me, there are three categories:

Normie popular movies that are most likely to pick up nominations and win now that it's the entire academy choosing nominations:
“The Boss Baby”
“Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie”
“Cars 3”
“Coco”
“Despicable Me 3”
“The Emoji Movie”
“Ferdinand”
“The Lego Batman Movie”
“The Lego Ninjago Movie”
“Smurfs: The Lost Village”

Shit I've at least heard of, but 'literally who' tier to most normies and probably most academy members. Most of it (with I think the exception of "The Star," that just looks like shit) looks very good and deserving of at least a nomination, but unfortunately I haven't actually gotten a chance to see these yet:
“The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales”
“The Breadwinner”
“Loving Vincent”
“Mary and the Witch’s Flower”
“The Star”

I haven't even heard of this stuff or I'm familiar with the franchise but didn't know they had a movie out this year:
“Birdboy: The Forgotten Children”
“Cinderella the Cat”
“Ethel & Ernest”
“The Girl without Hands”
“In This Corner of the World”
“Moomins and the Winter Wonderland”
“My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea”
“Napping Princess”
“A Silent Voice”
“Sword Art Online: The Movie - Ordinal Scale”
“Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming”

Anyway, my money's on Coco to actually win but I'd really love to see Cartoon Saloon win this year with The Breadwinner if I was feeling hopeful.

But is there anything good in that last category that you guys recommend I look up and maybe give a watch?

Submit everything and hope for the best. Remember you can't win if you never try.

Poster here, too.

THE BREADWINNER

thebreadwinner.com/

This movie is getting a US release in late November/early December. I'm looking forward to it. From the makers of "Song of the Sea" and "The Secret of Kells", only they go from Ireland halfway around the world to Afghanistan

youtube.com/watch?v=0KnJ5Zu1qEk

I heard that this Smurfs was actually the first not terrible movie in the franchise, and I've even seen some people say it was surprisingly good, though not great. And I know at least one person that has said Ninjago is wildly popular with some kids, so I guess I can see that getting some "my kids liked it best because of their brand loyalty" votes. And even though I hate the Cars series, kids used to love it when it came out and this third movie is banking on their nostalgia. I see all of these at having a shot at nomination, which is worth it on its own to most studios. Only one I think is completely shameless is The Emoji movie, but since hating it has become a meme, even that one has a shot from coasting on that negative popularity.

Hope Silent Voice gets nomination for fun Sup Forums Kiminonawa posting.

MARY AND THE WITCH'S FLOWER

gkids.com/films/mary-and-the-witchs-flower/

From Studio Ponoc, apparently a new studio that former Ghibli artists are going to now that Ghibli's given up making feature films. Along with the assumed NY/LA qualifying release this year, Fathom Events will release the movie everywhere for one night on January 18.

I could only find a Japanese language trailer for now.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0YYNgNr7A

Haven't seen Breadwinner, but it actually has my attention. Mary and the Witch's Flower looks cute too, you can definitely see the imprint of Ghibli talent on it.

THE BIG BAD FOX AND OTHER TALES

gkids.com/films/the-big-bad-fox-other-tales/

A French import from the makers of "Ernest and Celestine". I'm really excited about this movie. But GKids has not announced its distribution plans yet.

There's only a French language trailer currently available.

youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A

Okay, I want to see this one.

BIRDBOY: THE FORGOTTEN CHILDREN

gkids.com/films/birdboy/

Finally from GKids is this Spanish movie originally called "Psychonauts." GKids has had this page up for months, but it's said nothing about how it's distributing the movie.

I found this Spanish language trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=BvZEJlTXyXo

Where were you last August?

Same place as now. Too poor to travel into the nearest city to visit an arthouse theater. It's the same reason I didn't catch Loving Vincent in October, but at least I saw some threads here tip me off on that one so I could try to mention it to some friends.

Now for the remaining anime movies

A SILENT VOICE: THE MOVIE

elevenarts.net/asilentvoice/

I understand that this anime is super popular in Japan, the "Your Name" of this year? I caught it a few weeks ago, and it got a special one-day release everywhere in the US on November 7. I liked the portrayal of the deaf girl, but I found the story overlong and sudsy.

youtube.com/watch?v=E7utbHbxDAM

Poster

Predictions:
>The Breadwinner
>Coco
>Loving Vincent
>at least 1 Jap film

IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD

inthiscorneroftheworld.com

Oddly, a joint distribution by Funimation and Shout! Factory. This is my favorite movie of the ones on the list that I've seen. Not a kid's movie, not a horny teenager's sci-fi movie. A very unique historical slice of life movie with an earthy style.

youtube.com/watch?v=qTCYx-6CUU8

Maybe if it were years prior, but the nominations are gonna get picked differently this year.

>nominations are gonna get picked differently this year.
What changed?

Other movies:

LOVING VINCENT

lovingvincent.com

(I started a thread on this, but changed my mind and deleted it to move it here.) The makers try to make characters from Vincent Van Gogh paintings move around, but they used rotoscoping for the motion. I didn't think it worked too well. The story was entertaining.

It was actually like "Hollywoodland" that movie about George Reeves. It started in the wake of Van Gogh's suicide, spent time on speculation about his last days and conspiracy theories that he was murdered, but ended with a plausible reason as to why he killed himself.

youtube.com/watch?v=bRDSTw6mNwY

It's still playing in a lot of theaters in the US.

From the article:

"For the first time, nominations voting in the Animated Feature Film category is open to the entire eligible voting membership."

WINDOW HORSES

windowhorses.com

An independent feature about a Canadian poet's visit to Iran. I'd love to see this movie, but I think it's only getting the nominal US release.

youtube.com/watch?v=Viiui3v-ncg

From what I heard, previously the separate departments chose the nominations. So the animation department, full of animators that actually care about animation, chose the animation nominees. Then the entire academy, meaning everyone from all the departments, would choose the winner. So you'd see a pattern of obscure movies getting nominated but only a popular one wide release one would ever win. Now the entire academy chooses the nominations for all categories. So the same people that ensured disney or pixar would win every single year. Many of this group doesn't eat sleep and breath animation, so they'll only have seen one or two of the most widely marketed films from the list, and will vote based on those that they've seen or heard of, or abstain from voting, but a surprising amount choose not to abstain.

Poster

Wow, this year was really abysmal in terms of animated movies, wasn't it?

Yeah, I haven't seen a single one yet.

>Coco

There, this is your winner. The voters probably haven't even seen it, but this will be the movie that wins because loldisneypixar

Why does Sup Forums give a single shit about this award?

ETHEL AND ERNEST

ethelandernestthemovie.com/

An import from Brittain. I don't know anything about it, but looks very nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=JXDlEw5u8u8

Looks like an average anime, and the academy doesn't care for typical weeb shit (they didn't even nominate Your Name), so I don't see this getting a nom.

MOOMINS AND THE WINTER WONDERLAND

moominswonderland.com/

Another movie from the Moomins franchise of Finland, which I know nothing about. This time, though, they're doing stop motion. Looks pretty nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=0jbgHqm1Djs

I saw Your Name, A Silent Voice, six Ghibli films, and Castle of Cagliostro in theaters. Even if there wasn't much new stuff, this was best year of animated theater-going I've ever had.

And finally:

CINDERELLA THE CAT

I couldn't find an official website for this movie. Only a face book page. (GattaCenerentola).

I found a trailer, though. Boy, it looks like crap.

youtube.com/watch?v=lwRM12OiZK8

Yeah, that Fathom Events thing did a real cool movie with their ghibli festival. I like their opera and ballet broadcasts when I can make them, too. I would like to catch more of the classic movies like Casablanca this month, but I don't have it in my budget.

And all because some dipshit complained that Lego Meme got sidelined over a couple of "Chinese fucking things."

Fuck. I can't unsee this as a prequel to When the Wind Blows.

Is that really the reason?

Shoot, I forgot one:

SWORD ART ONLINE - THE MOVIE: ORDINAL SCALE

sao-movie.net/us/

The movie version of the notoriously loathed anime TV series. I love all the Toonami threads about how "Plan 9" the TV series is.

But actually, the movie completely surprised me and turned out to be very good. I thought it was a well paced action movie with a decent premise. It's one of my favs of the year.

It got a Funimation release through Fathom early this year. My theater actually got sold out.

youtube.com/watch?v=32FLqOWjUfI

Why do they even bother submitting those? The academy doesn't care for weebshit.

Frankly i don't mind threads like these, an excuse to look at interesting things out/about to be released.
Could be debated if getting a nomination is actually important, especially now with the changed rules.
The prize itself is meaningless and anyone paying attention to that is dumb as bricks.

Is this coming to any theaters? Rottentomatoes says it's not playing in even NY or LA

This, Lego Batman was this year's true Pixar film.

Finally finally, here's a list of all the new movies I'm aware of that got US releases this year but are not on the list.

WIDE RELEASE
(I assume the studios did not submit these movies in the first place.)

My Little Pony: the Movie
Rock Dog
Leap!
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
Spark: a Space Tale

The rest probably got limited releases that did not include the required one-week NY/LA release.

WARNER ANIMATION:

Batman and Harley Quinn

FUNIMATION FILMS:
Black Butler: Book of the Atlantic
One Piece Film: Gold
Fairy Tail Dragon Cry
Project Itoh: Genocidal Organ
Attack on Titan: Gurren no Yumiya
Attack on Titan: Jiyou no Tsubasa

ANIPLEX:
Kizumonogatari, Part 3 - Reiketsu
The Irregular at Magic High School: the Movie - The Girl Who Summons the Stars
Fate: Stay Night [Heaven's Feel] the Movie - Part 1, Presage Flower

(note: Kizu 3 is my favorite of 2017 so far.)

ELEVEN ARTS:
Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions

SENTAI FILMWORKS:
No Game No Life Zero

SHOUT! FACTORY:
Kikoriki: The Legend of the Golden Temple

OTHER FATHOM EVENT MOVIES
Pokemon: the Movie - I Choose You!
Resident Evil: Vendetta
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

OTHER:
Bunyan and Babe

Wish people would stop sending so many freakin Chinese shit for the judges, we only need good old American kids film, like Minions or Frozen

I think it's supposed to be a courtesy to submit a movie no matter what its chance of actually getting nominated, just to make sure that the category has enough submissions to give out an award. So, not submitting a movie seems insulting.

Go to the website. The US release schedule is listed there.

>I heard that this Smurfs was actually the first not terrible movie in the franchise,

I saw it. It wasn't terrible, and I'm glad it was all animation. But it's one of those movies that seems to be made for kids only, as opposed to the big ticket Disney etc. movies that try to appeal to all ages.

The future for non-mainstream animation movies really looks like Fathom Events, where they show the movie for just one or two days, but they can show it everywhere in the US.

Probably not, but what user posted really happened. Someone leaked the votes with comments that Academy members submitted for the year that "Big Hero 6" won. One guy cluelessly slammed "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" and "Song of the Sea" (an Irish movie) as "Chinese shit". That's why people are so troubled by the rules change.

My first reaction to the rules change was horror, because so many great indy cartoon movies have gotten nominations and I was terrified that this will never happen again. But then I remembered that with "Spirited Away" as the only exception, no indy movie has ever won. So, maybe there isn't much of a point to worrying about that rule being there or not, since the system seems gamed already.

Emoji will sweep.

This is not a new movie. Its just a compikation and new dubbing of old Polish series.

Rock dog was 2016 movie.

The manga was the first good one Shonen Magazine had in years, haven't seen the movie

Really? Either I found the wrong movie, or this "movie" is getting disqualified.

It was not on the list for the 2016 BAF awards. So I assume its US release was entirely in 2017.

t. Oscar voter

I really liked this but it's hard to see it as Oscar worthy.

>It got a Funimation release through Fathom early this year. My theater actually got sold out.

Sorry, I meant Aniplex release.

>Lena Dunham
Hell no.

Havn't seen it either but the movie supposably has lots of stuff left out for time. I heard the entire film contest arc was left out

>tfw half these movies never release in my city and im in fucking chicago

>Mary
>In This Corner
>A Silent Voice
>But no Lu Over the Wall

A lot of the average consumer market is dumb as bricks, so I'd say it makes a significant boost to marketing a product.

To the indy movies it really doesn't matter if they win. "It's an honor just to be nominated" is an entirely true sentiment that they share every year. Touting themselves as just "oscar nominees" instead of "oscar winners" still does a lot to boost their awareness and credit among people who otherwise wouldn't give a shit.

is it an honor to be nominated if a turd like emoji movie wins?

If it sells more dvds.

Daily reminder that this was nominated for an Oscar.

>loved Cartoon Saloon's previous work
>tfw won't go to see this film because it's about muzrats

This is a second time they done this. First was the Summer