So this is something a bit different. I made (wrote) a comic book, Killer-of-Men, pic related is page 1, issue 1...

So this is something a bit different. I made (wrote) a comic book, Killer-of-Men, pic related is page 1, issue 1. It got me thinking if any other Sup Forumsmrades have taken the plunge and just started making shit. Anyone else make comics on Sup Forums?

I know Juni Ba has been posting his stuff here lately, I piggybacked one of his threads not long ago.

This isn't a shill thread please give me money I'm just curious who else is working on comics out here. Post 'em if you've got 'em.

Other urls found in this thread:

stitchdraws.tumblr.com/
gumroad.com/l/MPQVZ
gumroad.com/l/WfLmL
espanol.wthi.one/comic/elf-queen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well before any troll insults you art just to be a jerk Let me say that it looks pretty good.

I'm not making comics user but that artstyle goes fucking hard, god

If you haven't checked out Juni Ba's stuff, its pretty cool.

Unfortunately I'm the writer, not the artist. The artist is a talented guy called Matej Stic: stitchdraws.tumblr.com/

I like how this looks, user. I thought it was panels for a new Marvel Ares book until I read the post.

whats the story so far? the title is interesting and i can see the Greek/spartan motifs

can i be of any assistance ?

Looking pretty good! I'd like to see some more.

As for making comics, I'm on the same boat as you: no drawing, but written a boatload and recently got published for the fifth time in Zarjaz, a british 2000AD anthology. Also recently finished a sci-fi story with an artist friend, we're putting the finishing touches and deciding how to sell it.

Word to the wise that you probably already knowhere, you're either gonna make or break the thing. Good art can never save bad writing, so make sure you're doing good shit lest the comic suck dick as a result

I'm working on a small comic and want to do larger ones, I have one particular story in mind that I really like and want to do it justice

>whats the story so far?
A pair of warriors, Acheron and Tyche, hear about a king going on a conquest spree, a king that wants Acheron in his army. Being vain and self-important, Acheron decides he'd rather fight and defeat the conquering king rather than serve him.

His arrogance, pride, and skill at arms bring the attention of the god of war, and the two form a pact to save Acheron's life. In return Acheron will be the god's living engine of destruction.

Being vain and arrogant, Acheron hates being under the geas (using the word geas proves I'm both a writer and a wanker) of the god of war, and is trying to maintain his individuality as a warrior while working to defeat this conquering army.

There's two issues out so far. The first lays out the set up, the second focuses on Acheron's companion, a warrior woman called Tyche.

Oh I'm well aware. There's parts I'm happy with and parts I cringe at, but making comics is one of those 'do it or don't' things. The only way to get better at it is to do it.

I know this artist. Did you get in contact with him via a certain other website? I am doing much the same if you are. Not story wise, of course.

>Did you get in contact with him via a certain other website?
tumblr, if that's what you mean.

That's a no then. Mind if I post a page or two of what I am working on?

sounds pretty good so far.

Sure! That's the point of the thread.

I had to resize this by a lot and change it from a tiff file, but here is a page. Also, this isn't shilling. I have no intention of doing anything with this, all of my comics are for myself. I don't post them anywhere.

You picked a good artist OP, that shit is tight

Sounds like a character study kinda thing mixed with action. Make sure Acheron is developed as a human being with aspirations and valid reasoning behind his behavior and all that good shit and you're golden, baby

I bought this when you posted it the first time and I really enjoyed it.

>(using the word geas proves I'm both a writer and a wanker)
tbf it could just prove you played D&D.

gumroad.com/l/MPQVZ
gumroad.com/l/WfLmL

If you do want to read it, its on gumroad. Pay money or pay nothing. If its potentially free, is it really shilling?

I'm trying to avoid long monologues or anything, but I have a solid feeling on who he is, why he's the way he is, and what he wants out of life.

>I bought this when you posted it the first time and I really enjoyed it.
Thanks, that's really good to hear. I hope you check out #2

Good to hear, bro, I'm gonna check this comic out when my external monitor comes in

Looks cool, what's it about?

>Not the artist

Good cause i just wanna make a few accusations...

Where are we? i somebody got gashed with a pole-arm to the face and then an onslaught of.... Roman, polish Paladin, Greek faced, mishmash Carthigian soldiers; in a war with.... Steel Italian plated, Viking armored, Slavic Norsemen-

Ok i can't take it, what fucking culture are you turning into fantasy? This armor design and who's fighting who is hard to grasp in the first few panels. please elaborate the story my man(no pressure)

Faustian bargain aftermath in a nutshell.

>Where are we?
In Fantasy Greek land.

I'm not a bugbear on historical accuracy, in fantasy. Going too much for some kind of historical authenticity in a fantasy work invites pedantic nit-picking. No one is a bigger nit-picker on historical accuracy than me. For the most part our concerns on design was to make sure the characters were visually distinct, including their head gear, which meant we threw out drawing from any one historical period almost immediately.

>somebody got gashed with a pole-arm to the face
Its a spear. Technically a polearm I guess

> Roman, polish Paladin, Greek faced, mishmash Carthigian soldiers; in a war with.... Steel Italian plated, Viking armored, Slavic Norsemen-

I don't know where you're getting some of these influences from, we've been pretty careful to take inspiration primarily from various periods of Anatolian and near-eastern cultures. It you're talking about Gigax's horned helmet as 'viking' its based on an artistic depiction of Sea People's and early Achaean headgear.

I've been trying to organize and script my own story for a long time, and never seem to get enough headway done. This is an older page I wound up scrapping around a year ago. Just been working on the art since, and I'll be scripting at least 3 "issues" worth of material, so 60+ pages, before I dive back in.

I'm also trying to work on a prose novel, and juggling both has lead to very little of either getting done.

My biggest challenge has been avoiding stepping on Eric Shanower's toes, though Age of Bronze was a big influence on me.

>various periods of Anatolian and near-eastern cultures
I should say, outside the obvious Greek elements. We've been pretty careful to pick nearby places to add in a bit of extra something. And Matej can express himself artistically where he wants to. I trust him, and understand that extensively detailed or painfully accurate art isn't always the most effective art. One of my problems with a lot of main stream cape art is the need to detail every buckle on Captain America's boots.

I kinda like your art, OP. I've thought of trying to make a comic before, but I never think my art is good enough, especially paired with my amateurish writing.

Do it. That's the only way it will ever happen. You've got to do it, and work on your craft enough that one day it'll even be good. And the only way your art and writing will improve is by doing it!

You don't start out benching 100kg, but you'll never get there if you never lift to begin with.

Yes I write and draw two comic series

And?

Tell us about them!

Matej's a great artist. Looking forward to his work as this series progresses.

I put this up a short while ago. Currently working on another one-shot.

espanol.wthi.one/comic/elf-queen/

Looks good!

shit i forgot image

The art is very nice my man.

Once upon a time I wrote a story because I liked the Twilight Zone.

That's a good reason to write a story.

>If its potentially free, is it really shilling?
Sometimes. Mods gonna mod. Don't sweat it though.

I actually just recently took the plunge.
I decided to write a comic about a science fiction empire invading another evil fantasy empire. Both the main character and the antagonists are BBEG material in their respective worlds.
I just started, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. I'm glad to see other creators hanging around.

Do you like body horror?

this is neat, is there more?

Yes but I hesitated to post more because I know how Sup Forums does not like big text bubbles. I got this work done essentially for free, so I was not about to make ludicrous demands like adding more panels.

Marvel would accept this art honestly and if the writing is anywhere near it in quality you have a damn good book sir.

Cheers, if you want to give it a read, you can dl the first two issues here: This is the cover to #2

I'm digging it. And yeah, when the artist is doing you a favour you can't be too nit-picky on details.

I was originally going to apologize and tell him I was going to tell him that we couldn't move forward because it bloated from 7 pages to 14 in total (I still wanted to add another two so everything wasn't so cramped, and things made more sense). But he apparently really liked the script as it was and basically did the whole thing for free.

I do a daily webcomic called Ennui GO! The kickstarter to get Volume 2 just got funded today so I'm pretty psyched about that.

>The kickstarter to get Volume 2 just got funded today so I'm pretty psyched about that.
Congratulations!

Cool beans.

Thanks, anons.

Yeah.

Realistically, what's your output of pages per week? Assuming you've already got your script done and are happy enough to move forward.

Depends. If it's black and white like this comic, a day or two depending on page complexity. Full art w/color takes me 2 days, usually.

I've got this book I'm thinking about doing. Its five hundred pages. I can't pay you now, but if you finish it in six months I can split the profits with you 50/50

bump!

Oh hey dude, I remember when you were one of the /tg/ drawfags. I've always thought your art was awesome. Really pleased to see your work.

Is this it?

How do I into making a comic?
I'm just a wannabe writer with no contacts.

Make contacts, write scripts, pay money to artist to make script into comic, try to shill your comic, fail, cry, cry some more, stop crying and try again

>Make contacts
What happens when step 1 is too hard and you give up?

You don't get anywhere.

Solid art OP

Part of a book we're working on coming out in 2019.

Love the colors.

Yeah. The artist is really good at this sort of stuff. I'm always blown away by his work.

This is some awesome color work.
Why are you waiting until 2019 to release it?

Because there's about 170 more pages after this sequence and so far only 27 more have been completed.
It's also when our publisher scheduled us for release.

Where are you publishing it from?

I'd rather not say atm. But I will say they have global distribution and access to the school book fairs. So we won't be hurting provided enough people actually wanna buy it

>Sup Forums can actually make comics outside of one or two guys on the /hyw/ threads
well whodathunkit

I've been noticing a lot of threads recently about people making their own comics.
It's weird.

I like this. has a cool, underground feel to it.
Been taking comics-making seriously since about 2008. Think I'm half way to finding my own style. My anatomy's terrible--I've consciously tried to remedy that recently via life-drawing night classes. Got bought 3 sets of the same basic Deleter tone set so I'm using just two for this stuff I'm working on for my next mini. Sticking to a Kirby-ish four grid page layout bu the backup's going to be 12, I've been reading a certain alternative comic that uses it really well. Never used a 12 page grid before.

Passing thread to say "shit, this is tight". Good luck OP

Jesus why are these images so small?!

You can stop posting these.
They're not that good.

Not the guy posting that but fuck you.

>you're either gonna make or break the thing. Good art can never save bad writing, so make sure you're doing good shit lest the comic suck dick as a result

I strongly disagree with this. I don't have good rebuttal for this though.

The good rebuttal is that inoffensively mediocre writing will be enough to keep the reader's immersion from being ruined while they soak in the art.

That said, good art can't save truly bad writing - only mediocre writing.

Go eat shit and die.

>strong wmayn warrior
no thanks. you can keep that sjw shit

This looked interesting but then I saw this
And look all interest.
People like you that need to make every story feministic are pretty much the reason why this industry is pretty much dead now.

>a warrior woman called Tyche.
Dropped that stuff and I might be interested in reading it but that really is a deal breaker for me. I can’t even read a Spider-Man or Batman comic anymore without constantly getting shitty sjw female characters shoved in my face so the last thing I wanna do is start reading a new indie comic about Ancient Greece only to get the exact same liberal propaganda

>I can’t even read a Spider-Man or Batman comic anymore without constantly getting shitty sjw female characters shoved in my face
this. even if you are a nu-male feminist you still tune it down with the sjw stuff. all female characters nowadays are the same: ugly, angry mary sues that act and luck like man. completely deprived of any character or originality. it´s getting so boring and repetitive. even if I was a men hating sjw why would I wanna read the same stuff over and over again?

I'm still going to keep doing what I love regardless of what you think, user. Back when I wanted to draw mainstream/capeshit stuff I had my portfolio reviewed by a pro who's famous for his caustic treatment of those who aren't up to scratch, not naming names but he's British and worked with Alan Moore on more than two occasions. And if his reaming of my work couldn't dissuade me then sorry but yours certainly isn't.

This was my first paid gig for a leaflet that was distributed in substance abuse services. There's one UK cartoonist whose whole career is based on doing substance abuse/harm reduction/sexual health comics, he does a character called peanut Pete. I never got the originals back and the last page is missing and the scan of the third page is incredibly tiny. But it was the first time I was moderately happy with a comic. I wrote all the dialogue based on a very vague brief by the project creator.

Pg 2