Coco

Does anyone else think this movie won't do all that well this Holiday season?

I went to Target yesterday and didn't see any Coco toys. Its not even something you can make action figures of. Miguel isn't all that iconic of a hero- unlike Moana and Maui last year. He's just a kid in a red hoodie and jeans.

Coco is very Mexican in its design, and does deal with some themes that many Christian parents wouldn't want their kids to see. (non-Christian views of the afterlife, skeletons.) Lots of little kids want to be Moana and Maui. But I don't think a lot of kids, other than Mexicans, want to be Miguel.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gigantic_Turnip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who doesn't like Thanksgiving and Mexicans?

I've seen tons of toys for it.

I'm excited for it. I couldn't make it through book of life, but this movie looks like it learned from the failures of the past

>Coco is very Mexican in its design, and does deal with some themes that many Christian parents wouldn't want their kids to see. (non-Christian views of the afterlife, skeletons.)

Catholics aren't Christian? That's news to me.

no cute female characters, so no one wants to watch this piece of shit with shit colored people

Dia de Los Muertos is strictly a Mexican thing. Its not worshiped in other Catholic countries like Spain, France, or other Latin American countries. The Land of the Dead and Xibalba is a part of native Mexican/Mayan/Aztec lore. It is not from Christianity.

I was at a showing of Moana at a church. And the Evangelical Sunday School teacher warned the kids about Maui being a demigod. That's just how protective the American Evangelicals are of their kids seeing other religious views.

Jive turkeys

Not watching because I simply do not care about Mexican culture. Same to Moana's gimmick about a different culture film. They're just boring.

Really wish Disney's whole Leftist approach to making animated movies would come and bite them in the ass.

Disney has pretty much tapped the well dry in terms of American/European folklore and fairy tales. That is why we are seeing more foreign fairytale & folklore. I don't see a problem with it, really. I get bored of American settings in animation.

>Disney has pretty much tapped the well dry in terms of American/European folklore and fairy tales

Yeah like their upcoming Jack and the Beanstalk movie: Gigantic, no wait they canceled that one, but why though?

the character designs are shit but I'll skim the ripped version when it's out

You can't make toys out of it, it would be like making toys out of holidays, ehich is prohibited, you will get sued immediately. It's the reason the movie wasn't titled dia de los muertos.

true, they should make the movie people really want to see

The movie isn't out here in Canuckistan for another week or so, but at a recent trip to my local Toys R Us to check for Zootopia merch (there's none) I did see 3 or 4 Coco items. So far it looks pretty lacklustre. And tbf TrU is going tits-up so this may be an incorrect assumption.

Hard to say but in talking with some friends who manage 2 separate movie theatres in 2 different towns in my region, they're predicting a mediocre success as it's focus appears to be culturally insignificant for our general population. Sure there will the usual surge of interest for something new from Pixar but they're predicting it will fall off after the initial opening. It will be interesting to see how well it will do in the boxoffice outside of Mexico and worldwide.

Personally, this is the first Pixar movie that I haven't felt "geez, I can't wait to check this one out!"

There's a fair amount of toys and merch for this movie; probably more so than Zootopia.
Granted, I work in Disneyland stores, so the sample might be a bit skewed

I forget that people like you unironically exist sometimes.

Then you go and remind me.

It won't do good because not that much advertisement was made entirely. Now girls wanna be empowered and shit so that's the whole shtick, if they made the main character transgender then maybe they can grab every buck.

give them 20 more years, you know that movie is coming sooner of later.

other latin countries have day of the day its just not as vibrant and as festive as Mexico's

I once argued with a guy who kept insisting that Catholics were not christian.

He even tried to say they believe jesus was only a prophet.

They'll just make another Cars movie to sell more toys.

If you don't follow the word of God and just make shit up to excuse yourself from sinning, you're not a Christian

mexicans are catholics and the dia de los muertos comes right after all souls mass

I'm not even that much of a catholic and yet i want to kick his ass. Fucking protestcucks.

i dont mind them using other cultures stories I just want to see the villain fucking die in the movie no bullshit where the bad guy was actually good like moana

There are a lot of other folklores and fairytales from Europe that you've never heard of. I don't think Disney has ever made a fairytale based on Eastern European folklore. The Russians have their own history of folklore that is pretty much unheard of outside of Slavic countries.

Pic related: The Gigantic Turnip- a Russian fairy tale. It sounds like it would make a fun animated movie, with a cat, dog, and mouse all working together to pick a giant turnip.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gigantic_Turnip

What? How are holiday toys illegal? You can go buy a Santa doll off the shelf right this very minute.

>implying they'll do anything ruskie related after the retarded russia hysteria

A lot of Protestant Christian denominations consider Catholics on par with Pagans and not actual Christians. 'Pope worshippers' have often been seen as a threat in different times of American history. Not as much now but you'll still get a backwater weirdo or two depending on where you live.

Itt: Amerifat Catholic

When I first saw this I couldn't believe it was a Pixar movie. It looked a generic straight to DVD animated movie.

Pixar always has some really off the wall premise they make work too and this just doesn't seem to have that at all. It's just bland Mexico.