Isn’t Spider Man just some random white dude from Luke’s perspective...

Isn’t Spider Man just some random white dude from Luke’s perspective? Why is he putting Peter on such a high pedastel? Hasn’t Luke been in the superhero game longer than him too?

marvels writers are trash and pretty much write peters reputation based on whatever joke they’re trying to tell. either spider-mans seen as an annoying nuisance or he’s new york’s premiere hero, it varies.

>Miles it’s important and cool that you wear the mantle of the random white boy my wife had a crush on

What did he mean by this?

They were in the Avengers together, plus Pete has been Spider-Man for a huge percentage of his life.

A better thing to say to Miles instead of this pandering diversity wanking would have been "You're a Spider-Man now, don't screw it up". Because depending on NY's mood, the title is a thing of importance be it good or bad. Most of NY doesn't even know Miles is black under that suit, so what the fuck does it even matter?

>Kid of color now

Does Spider-girl/Arana not exist anymore?

it's because this spiderman is black like him

>Spider-Man is a kid of color now
That's such an awkward fucking thing to say. It doesn't sound like human speech

Yes, basically.

Honestly, user, Marvel doesn't remember nor care to remember half of their Spider-People. They just create them, hope they get popular, and then ditch them when they don't become household names like Peter

Spider MAN

>Hasn’t Luke been in the superhero game longer than him too?
No. Spider-Man was one of the first super humans to show up during the Age of Marvels. But to answer your question. "MUH GARY STU IS SPECIAL!!!!"

Is Luke basically saying that Black Spider-man is only important and cool because he is black and not because he is a great and awesome hero?

Luke was either in jail when Peter first put on the mask or it was before he was framed. Long before he became Power Man.

Yeah, not only that, he's implying that being Black Spider-Man is a special privilege that Miles can fuck up. He basically has 0 faith in Miles as a person, and only sees him as a token legacy. Luke Cage really IS Bendis' self-insert.

Logan saves this page

You know, thus could make for an interesting what if.

And frankly Luke Cage would have just said "black".

Don't you love how Marvel deliberately ignores Jay Jonah Jameson's thoughts on Miles? They won't state his feelings on the matter because he'd either be a racist or a hypocrite

There’s a backup story for Amazing SM #601 that has a cute moment between Peter and Jessica

is being spiderman even that much of a big deal? isn't he constantly seen as either an annoying jerk by other heroes or a weirdo menace by the normal people?

Remeber when Miles got mad someone thought of him as black spiderman and not just Spiderman.

Next page please

what was his feelings towards Silk

He loved Silk IIRC, why I dont know

I like the last panel where Miles is just standing there like "...really nigga?"

>cute and asian
>don't know why

Basically.
Man, that costume looked so good

That is just the original Spider-woman costume.

yeah that is weird, maybe because she has a half mask? miles takes his mask off every fucking issue so maybe jjj won't hate him as much

>those freakishly long fingers
howdy

"POC" is such a stupid sounding abbreviation of an already stupid term.

Hey guys, what do you children who happen to be "people of color"? Small POCs

No to both questions. Read some comics.

Bendis is making a classic bad writer mistake. Forgetting that the in-universe status of a character and their real-world reputation usually don't match.
He'll do the reverse of this too. He'll take characters that aren't famous in the real world but have usually been portrayed as being competent/cool/threatening in the past and turn them into "losers".

Miles' face is just "That's really all I am to you people huh?"

it's progressive like that but call him a colored kid and it's racist. that's the level of intelligence here.

I like that this makes it look like miles isn't sure how to respond to the face luke wants him to be some kind of figurehead for black people and not for superheroic's own merit.

*fact

Luke's not a retard. He knows Spider-Man is more famous and popular than him.

>Bendis
>intelligence

How come Jessica reacted this way when Peter unmasked to her this time, but didn't tell him anything at all when Peter unmasked in Civil War?

Out of curiosity, did Luke give Sam Wilson this speech when he became Captain America? Because in-universe Captain America is WAY more important.

Remember when Bendis was the one that had Miles complain about the need to call him the "Black Spider Man" and focusing on his race? Yeah, neither does Bendis...

That's because people of color is a generally accepted term for someone who's not white, and "colored" is historically a term for blacks under jim crow segregation.

But hey, that's just your level of intelligence.

It's because Luke's wife wanted to fuck Peter long before she ever knew Luke and before Peter ever put the webs on.

I don’t think so. He went to Rhodey’s meme black funeral with Sam because Misty Knight felt Rhodey should be honored by his “family”.

Rhodey hasn’t interacted with any of those niggas in years.

I came into this thread to bring up this page, so I am glad to see it's the second post.

Nope, because for some reason Bendis doesn't care about the Falcon and goes out of his way to avoid writing him or even mentioning him. Which is weird, Bendis usually likes black characters.

I love logan just sitting there eating.

Is this Bendis? This reads like Bendisspeak.

All the while Logan is just sitting there like "This is fucking amazing orange chicken".

>"person of color" is fine
>"colored person" is racist
liberals are literally insane

>That is cool. It's important
I didn't know it had gotten this bad. That is bad. It's terrible.

>reads like bendisspeak
>has Luke Cage
>has Jessica Jones
>has Spider-man
What the fuck do you think?

LUKE THE KEK

Are you fucking serious right now? Are you?!

Black people all have a psychic link, they know who other black people are and conspire with them.

Don't just take my word for it; ask Sup Forums.

liberal here. I dont know when the fuck this person of color shit started. I'm feeling sympathetic to the old folks who woke up one day to find that 'colored person' and 'negroe' is racist but 'black' and 'person of color' isnt.

I dont fucking know or care. I'm sticking with black until told by a non-internet dweller not to.

It comes and goes. This is from the 80s.

I think it was supposed to be some weird irony, like he hated Spider-Man no matter how much he tried to be a hero, and loved Silk no matter how much she tried to (pretend) to be a villain (at least up until her AU doppelganger impersonated her and started committing actual big crimes).

His secretly spider-powered surrogate daughter was dead, so they needed to give him a new one.

>"person of color" is fine
>"colored person" is racist
>liberals are literally insane
There's no real reason behind what's socially acceptable or not for descriptors of groups of people, it's just something that changes over time and if you use a term from an older time it'll be noticeable e.g. african-american used to be really popular and acceptable during the 90s but it sounds weird when people use it now. I don't know that this is necessarily a liberal thing except that non-liberals are probably more likely not to care one way or the other about labels like that.
It works both ways too e.g. it's generally fine now to use the word "lame" but that was at one point basically like calling someone a cripple. Or idiot, moron, and imbecile for that matter, all of which are generally seen as mild insults to a normal person's intelligence today but previously served as labels for someone with a diagnosed mental disability.

Black person here. Just use Black or African American. It’s not complicated. We really don’t care.

Don’t fucking dare say “colored” or “negro” though.

Really you don't usually have an actual need to reference someone's race with a word in public in the first place.
Like I wouldn't recommend going around talking about "that black guy" while at an office type of job (might be OK if you're a car mechanic I guess though, and maybe necessary if you're that guy who does autopsies or forensics or whatever).

Yeesh. I stopped reading Miles way back when he was still in the Ultimate Universe, but has he had a single story arc where his ethnicity and what it "means" hasn't been brought up in some sense? I'm not against examining racial tensions, but based on how often similar pages get posted here, it seems unnecessarily repetitive, especially for how shallow the examination seems to be.

Remember how this beautiful panel THAT BENDIS WROTE got retconned by BENDIS HIMSELF

One can argue that was just Thor making an assumption.

this is now a 'wolverine eating/sitting at table with food' thread

The worst part is there was an issue where Miles brought up how he didn't want be known as the colored Spider-Man. I can't remember if OP's pic is before or after that but I do remember that tumblrites through a shitfit about Miles not wanting to be the colored Spider-Man and cited that as the reason Bendis shouldn't write "POC" (I hate that term) characters. Ironically enough actual black and Hispanics on tumblr mentioned how they saw where Miles coming from in that aspect but they were either told about how they had internalized racism or were just flat out ignored.

>the most important thing about you is your race
Okay, fuck off.

There are two scenes, it is when some girl was celebrating that he is black and this scene.

Miles don't talk about his race that often in canon.

As a Latino, I find "Person of Color" to be derogatory because it is a blanket term used to separate anyone with a bit of melanin in their skin from whites. And it is especially hypocritical and insidious being used by "progressives" to show how tolerant they are. It sickens me. I am not their token beaner.

Idris Elba is black. Not African American. Because the man is British.

this basically
it's like saying "white and everyone else"

>or “negro”
pero soy hispanohablante, amigo

>Cucked by Pete's BWC
BWAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA
lil black glossette dick

Pete's BWC
Not according to K-Box

>people of color is good
>colored people is racist
Why don't we all just ignore these stupid rules that get made up by egghead ivory tower SJW sociologists or whatever

>expecting Marvel to care about continuity

You fucking lame arse retard,

Bendis? The comic writer Bendis? The one that writes comics?

That Bendis?

Nosotros hablamos Ingles aquí.

"You people?" "YOU PEOPLE!?"

Hablamos Ingles aquí.

What about actual hispanic nations?

Blame old white people for making it offensive.

It's the same with "disabled person" and person with disability"; semantics that nobody except PR people care about

Está bien en naciones hispanas.

That can't be right. Bendis works for DC, not Marvel...

Another black dude.
Just say Black.

Hyphenated sounds forced
POC is PCSpeak

As a writer, characters need to speak normally as they are supposed to be people. Theu aren't always going to be PC.

Garth Ennis wrote nigga a hundred times in a Punisher comic but it made sense with the characters he was using (inner city blacks) that's fearlessness in a writer.

Bendis is soggy as fuck for all this "POC" and "that's important" speak. It sounds like spme woke sista told him to write that.

That doesn't make sense. No one knows he's black.
So it's not like if he "screws it up" it's going to be detrimental to the black support hero community

People do know he is black, it was when he was fighting blackheart and some online girl notice his skin color.

God damn Logan, it's just chicken.

They do know he's black. His suit ripped and it was this huge thing. It was stupid, it was Bendis.

It's not just chicken, it's #25 with Chicken.

Use it when you speak Spanish to refer to a black person but not when you speak English.

>Wolverine's present is justa picture of Wolverine