Why did they change the art style?

Why did they change the art style?

Other urls found in this thread:

southpark.cc.com/clips/153556/re-release-of-episode-1-south-park
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is that really something worth nitpicking? That's like asking an artist why they change their artstyle after so much time, they don't want to have the exact same look forever.

Just looks more detailed, and less bottom heavy.

They hired better artists.

keeping an artstyle exactly identical over the course of 19 years is practically impossible, even if you try.

Advances in technology and artists getting used to the South Park style lead to more detailed looking characters

Because it looks better? Evolving digital techniques and more staff meant they could put more detail into their puppets while still maintaining the low turnover time that they're known for.

Old South Park everyone was just rounded rectangles and ovals.

Yeah, even Eric Stough admits it, neither he or Trey could draw hence why they made animated South Park with paper cut outs. Now they have people that can draw as their animators and designers, hence why the characters as well as the backgrounds look so much better.

What's wrong with the new one?

>Why did they change the art style?

They got a bigger budget, new artists, and now have fewer technical limitations.

Advances in tech and they got better at making models. I love how detailed the show has gotten but I do miss how the earlier seasons looked like literal construction paper, but current is better.

It's the same though.

They are literally two different guys

But, the old style looked better. More detailed =/= good

Yeah, it's more consistent with the main cast's design. And it seems possible to actually make with cardboard, which I assumed was the point of SP's artstyle.

It was never the point it was just their limitation.

And "what I'm familiar with" != "the way it should be done."

I find it hard to believe anyone sees substantial aesthetic value on the early South Parks. And while new South Park certainly isn't what I'd call "globally appealing", it's distinctive in a "political cartoonist" kind of way and not just "they're the only ones (but not really) who make cartoon out of cardboard (but not really)" kind of way.

christ i fucking hate the new art style. everything is so visually cluttered and flashy. it's ugly.

southpark.cc.com/clips/153556/re-release-of-episode-1-south-park

it's funnier if randy has to kiss the right one

THIS! THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS! FUCKING THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!