Is there an adaptation of Sonic The Hedgehog that actually takes itself seriously...

Is there an adaptation of Sonic The Hedgehog that actually takes itself seriously? I just attempted to watch Sonic X and got tired of it by the 2'nd episode. Anything that's comparable to the Teen Titans animated series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DNteN_qlHp0
youtu.be/bsi1ZO-_cB4?t=90
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Comic
youtube.com/watch?v=oY2IEYDJmMU
youtube.com/watch?v=ocX2jB2w2VM
youtube.com/watch?v=-rJVlU0c4OU
youtube.com/watch?v=CNnzBirONWs
youtube.com/watch?v=af3pHxUZ638
youtube.com/watch?v=cx9uPxGYHq8
youtube.com/watch?v=89Qbx36Tci0
youtube.com/watch?v=KXjvy-gr2NY
youtube.com/watch?v=TuSSjKO0lPw
youtube.com/watch?v=JAjLHB0j-mY
youtu.be/CNnzBirONWs
youtu.be/af3pHxUZ638
youtu.be/8cv3d7FXKFM?t=11
youtu.be/fuC9kJyUhgU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sonic Satam?
Other than that, nothing else really, unless you feel like reading on of the comics

It’s a game series about a blue cartoon hedgehog, what is there to take seriously?

just watch the OVA

The ova is serious enough if you can get past the chicken shit voice acting.

why would you want it to take itself seriosuly yo fucking idiot?

Big the Cat

You can add depth in any characters. You could have an anthropomorphic cat turd and a talking used tampon and add real well thought out character progression to them if you tried and were passionate enough about it. I know pretty much 0% about Sonic, but hearing about the new game that came out, however shitty or not it is, got me interested in their character designs.

there's a redub on youtube thats pretty good

Sonic doesn't have nor need any real character development.

>takes itself seriously
Skip to Season 3, man, if you're wanting the "Teen Titans" of Sonic, I think that's the closest you'll get if you don't feel like investing in the comics.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting a Sonic the Hedgehog story that attempts to take itself seriously. It's idiotic to think it "can't", just because it's a cartoon animal when there have been series that have done darker with less.

WHAT THE FUCK WHERE THE FUCK IS MIGHTY THE ARMADILLO YOU FILTHY CASUAL

You sound like DeviantArt might be more your speed

Missing along with Ray, according to Generations.

I figured half the posters in here would be meme Sonic shitters so here's an actual post.

First off, Sonic X gets better later on. Never seen the second season but the third season's pretty packed with an actual original plotline so that's kinda cool, I guess. Not my cup of tea but you might like it.

Sonic OVA is my personal favorite because it manages to take itself slightly seriously (but not to the point that its sooper dark and lore filled bro.... woah thats deep dude.....) while having some fun in the process that isn't some Aaron Webber tier "LOL SO IRONIC XD" crap. Might not be YOUR cup of tea, but it's pretty sweet imo.

Others worth looking into are SatAM and the Archie comics (which fluctuate greatly quality wise).

>Never seen the second season
The second season is good, though its quality may be tied to how okay you are with the video game adaptations, since that's most of the season (SA1, SA2, and a very loose adaptation of Sonic Battle). The Chaotix episode and the Egg Moon arc are solidly good. Only real clunkers of the second season from what I remember are the island arc and the last arc where Chris nearly destroys the world because he doesn't want to lose his furry crush.

The character designs are indicative of what Sonic should be. Bright, colorful and fun. Deep? Any deeper than "We need to save the world!" is a no go. No internal struggle. No deep emotional issues. Just saving the world, or stopping Robotnik, or one by the other.

why do you want a serious Sonic adaptation

So, how far along is Penders on that comic of his, anyway?

He's gotten like one page done. He announced this shit like 6-7 years ago but hasn't produced a single issue.

>No internal struggle. No deep emotional issues.

I'm fine with this if it's handled extremely lightly. Like, almost to the level of, say, Disney. Anything on the level of pic related for example is asinine.

He only announced it as part of a gambit to get Archie to pay him royalties. He thought threatening to make his own comic which would take away all of Archie's readership (yes, Ken was deluded enough to believe that that not only was this possible but that Archie would be shitting themselves at the idea), and that would force Archie to cave and offer him either his job back or huge royalties for the continued use of his characters.

It backfired. Sure, he got Archie to give him the rights to his characters (and his lawsuit is pretty much what started the breakdown that eventually led Sega to pull the contract with Archie), but that wasn't what he actually wanted. Now he's not only not receiving jack shit in royalties, but he's stuck having to remind people every now and then that his exciting new Lara-Su comic is just around the corner otherwise it becomes obvious he only threatened to do it to milk money out of Archie.

>Like Disney
Oh, you mean like this?

Okay, now I regret saying that.

No, more like this!

Nope. None. No go play Mania.

Oh god
youtube.com/watch?v=DNteN_qlHp0

This can't be real.

"The world's most way past cool comic"

Oh it is. We knew the basic story about this years ago- Ben Hurst, one of the writers for SatAM, had been in talks with Sega about doing some kind of continuation, such as a movie that would wrap up the loose ends. Penders caught wind of this, squeezed himself into the deal (Hurst was too polite to tell him to fuck off and had no idea what a self-promoting asshole Penders was) and used Hurst's connections to Sega to make his own pitch behind Hurst's back, still presenting himself as working with Hurst. Hurst called Sega unaware of what had happened, until that point Sega had been very friendly and open but suddenly they were really curt and basically told him to fuck off.

Years later this video surfaces and we finally know what Penders showed Sega that made them give Hurst the finger like that.

Is there an adaptation of Sonic The Hedgehog that takes fanservice seriously?

I want Amy Rose panty shots every five minutes, on the dot.

Sally should wear no pants.

Oh, I've known about the story for years, but I've never seen that pitch until now. Now I feel really bad for Hurst.

>that actually takes itself seriously?

Sonic SatAM and it's shit and is the reason we've been dealing with Archie/Adventure/Forces autism all these years

Most content made by sonic-liking tweens takes itself VERY seriously. Maybe it's you, that is not taking sonic seriously enough

With this much hubris and incompetence, I honestly almost want to know what it would have been like if Penders DID manage to wrangle himself complete creative control of the Sonic comics.

Like, I know we have whatever Penders keeps threatening to release nowadays, but it's not at all the same.

>Le big the cat meme

Back to YouTube.

Just curious, what's not serious about the first two episodes of Sonic X? That's probably where a lot of the action is
>scene starts with Eggmans base getting raided and on full alert
>large catastrophic failure causes the Emeralds to react sending them to a strange new dimention
>sonic dropped in Station Square not knowing what the fuck he's doing until he's hounded by police
>end up outrunning the governments fastest response team and breaks the speed of sound for the first time for the audiance
I dunno user it's always been pretty tight for me, and it's probably the most "serious" a Sonic show has been

youtu.be/bsi1ZO-_cB4?t=90 Droppin it for anyone who hasn't seen it

Autism.

Sonic X has a couple good ideas. But so, so many bad ones. Cramming every anime cliche they could like a human boy you're supposed to relate to (but is actually rich, what the fuck, that's not terribly relatable guys), or weird, decidedly non-Sonic villains (what is that blue goblin thing, a digimon?), and probably the worst incarnation of Eggman, short of maybe Sonic Underground. Maybe.

>comparable to the Teen Titans animated series?
you fucking what?

WITNESSED
Your regret is now 4-fold

For what it's worth, I think he means the original animated series, not Go. Which did have SOME attempts at serious plotlines. But was still kind of overtly silly... which maybe was the point? I don't fucking know.

This is some real bullshit. ACTUAL FUCKING BULLSHIT. This presentation looks like something a certain sonichu-drawing autist would conjure.
Oh God, what if Penders is one of the Aliases of Chris Chan we never found out?

This is practically chris can tier levels of BAD

The comics can be pretty hot sometimes

Penders isn't autistic, just an egotistic hack that uses Sonic to sell his awful writing.

What was wrong with X eggman? It was the first time based Pollock voiced him.

Wasn't he all buddy-buddy with Sonic in late seasons? That doesn't sit well with me.

That whole "Dark Sonic" scene with Eggman talking him down was some seriously stupid bullshit.

It's about the same as Sonic X in terms of tone, so I don't know what the fuck OP is talking about. Sonic X has fucking shit writing compared to TT's mediocre to sometimes good writing, so maybe it's that and OP is confusing a lack of quality for seriousness?

Pretty much yeah. Something that I always find hilarious is that for how clearly a cash in Shadow the Hedgehog is, his backstory is fully thought out to the point that there's a logical reason for why he looks the way he does and why his predecessor was a giant lizard in an iron lung. Professor Gerald is a also a surprisingly grim character that's pretty interesting to go into as well.
Sonic Colors fits that theme pretty well, the Boom cartoon too. They're just light hearted saturday morning romps that are fun to hop into now and then.

It's also a game series about a scientist who goes around using animals as robotic power sources, trying to turn the planet into factories in his image. It's still a dumb argument though, Duck Tales is about ducks and they had an episode where the whole planet nearly died getting turned to gold.

>watching dub

Sonic hasn't been allowed to take itself seriously since the media chimped out over Sonic 06.

All you get is Baldy McNosehair

wrong

Someone hasn't seen Sonic Forces.

Can someone make a webm of sonic riding the board and getting shot down?
t. brainlet

>reading words
or
>actually fucking knowing moonspeak
pathetic

Shadow the Hedgehog 2 when?

Take out the guns and the non consequential branching paths and you have a somewhat decent game.

Sorry to hear you're illiterate.

Would you really want an adaptation about a talking blue hedgehog to be serious?
Look at how ridiculous the game Shadow the Hedgehog was because it tried to be grimdark yet had colorful little animals running around.

Then don't make it grimdark, just put them in a somewhat serious situation and still let them be their lighthearted selves.

Except it would've been fine if the gameplay backed itup. From what I recall, the characterization was fine with how most characters were used, but bad gameplay makes the story of Shadow the Hedgehog out to be something to laugh at rather than to just take at face value.

>We'll never see Tails put on a dress and wear ribbons in his hair

I think sonic x have some

There's so much middle ground between "everything has to be bright and colourful IT'S A SERIES ABOUT A TALKING BLUE HEDGEHOG" and "no it has to be super grimdark, none of this is fun you talking green crocodile, that's why it's called war", but people who don't work for SEGA seem extremely keen on turning the issue into a false dilemma and people who do work for SEGA seem extremely keen on giving the games and media bad writing no matter which end of the spectrum they go with.

There's nothing fun about watching characters win all the damn time. It's far more interesting to give characters a problem and watch them come up with a solution to it. In other words, you have to see a character at their worst to appreciate them at their best.

There's no need for a serious Sonic, but there's no need for an overly silly and self-aware Sonic, too. Adventure had the right balance, stick with that format.

>swung the pendulum too far in the other direction now

Seriously why can't sonic games just be like Mega Drive was.

Mega Drive had the best character interactions and tone the series has ever seen.

There are and they're awful because it's a series about a fucking talking blue rodent.

Recently the series has had a bit of a problem with being too irreverent to itself but that's still leagues ahead of the 06's and the Penders era comics of the franchise.

Yo mods we got an excess of Sonic threads, one needs to go. This one or .

Archie's Sonic was taking itself TOO seriously during Dark Ages.

But since Flynn took over actually "something like Teen Titans" is best I would describe it

I honestly liked that scene, if only because it was Eggman telling Sonic to knock it off with the edgy bullcrap, because that wasn't who Sonic was.

>Entire point of the character in the 90s was being a fucking badass who takes shit from no one and kicking the shit out of Eggman when the time called for t
>Lol no lets make him dab and have him say memes XD

Season 3 is great better than SatAM

>Shadow's flashback is triggered by Chris
Nah

>Chris grows up to be a genius scientist and creates a dimensional portal to Sonic's world; becomes a kid again because time-space wackiness to ensure the kids recognize him
>Entire season is just a DBZ knockoff with plant aliens as villains
>Eggman exists only as comic-relief and contributes to almost nothing plot-wise.

Yeah, not seeing it.

Sonic has been a DBZ knockoff since Sonic 2

Not to this level.

I don't know why everyone looks at this as Forces being a serious game. It's basically the biggest indicator you didn't play the game.

This comes right before Knuckle's amazing plan he thought up in a minute and a half

No Sonic game will ever fall under "Edgy" with that fucking faggot Smith bringing in the Colors/Lost World tier humor and his shitty voice

Quick comment on the human boy part
I would say this is the same type of problem the transformers shows/movies have
When the main cast is all non human characters so they try to cram in human characters in fear the audience wouldn’t be to have any character to relate to. Even when said non human characters can talk and have personalitiesand the show totally work with just them

I think what OP might be after is Sonic the Comic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Comic
Now, I won't lie... there are some really bad stories, especially in the beginning, but after a while you power through the cringe and the whole comic settles into this groove that is weirdly British yet ineffably comfy.

Some issues you'll have Metal Sonic as The Daleks and Knuckles accidentally wandering into the plot of The Wicker Man, and other days you'll have Sonic wearing an anorak or being hustled by The Marxio Brothers. No, that is not a typo.

Why is the Archie comic more popular then

>why is an American comic more popular on a site mostly frequented by Americans?

Bro, it is painfully edgy. Yes, the characters quip a lot, but the actual context of the game is edgy as fuck.

There isn't much to discuss about the stuff that's actually good

Someone could always story time Mega Drive again.

That's a fun comic to read.

>Implying
Roger is great, you can blame Pontaff for this.

I'm sorry, but it was still the cringiest shit. Kingdom Hearts level cringe.

>I would say this is the same type of problem the transformers shows/movies have
It absolutely is. I didn't mind Sari, because she was cartoony as anyone else in her series. But most human children hanging out with transformers is just token humanism. As a human I'm offended.

People really need to have more faith in the humanity of non-humans.

People are people whether they are robots or skinbags.

That's deep.

I completely agree with you.

Which one?

youtube.com/watch?v=oY2IEYDJmMU

youtube.com/watch?v=ocX2jB2w2VM

youtube.com/watch?v=-rJVlU0c4OU

youtube.com/watch?v=CNnzBirONWs

youtube.com/watch?v=af3pHxUZ638

youtube.com/watch?v=cx9uPxGYHq8

youtube.com/watch?v=89Qbx36Tci0

youtube.com/watch?v=KXjvy-gr2NY

youtube.com/watch?v=TuSSjKO0lPw

youtube.com/watch?v=JAjLHB0j-mY

God damn I love this intro.

There's so much personality in this animation.

>though its quality may be tied to how okay you are with the video game adaptations
i never got why people are so adverse to adaptations of the games?

you don't have to adapt EVERY game but the stories & side characters they shoehorned in almost every game frim adventure onward could actually benefit from & get better development in a non videogame medium.

Who is best human?

Nack the Weasel is clearly best human.

>youtu.be/CNnzBirONWs
that just Hall of the mountain king.

youtu.be/af3pHxUZ638
is a much better fit

HYPERPOTIONS IS FUCKING TRASH
game soundtrack is a 10/10 if it didn't have those 2 hyperpotion songs

as for the sonic forces
youtu.be/8cv3d7FXKFM?t=11

if someone could make a proper vocal iso it would make a really decent track youtu.be/fuC9kJyUhgU