Thor: the Godbomb

Why is this rated so highly by everyone? It started great with a young Thor, but ended on a meh note as Aaron tried to mash in some high concept stuff, MCU banter and a weak antagonist. Is the rest of the run worth following?

It's a great action-adventure story. Gorr was a great villain, simple but a perfect antithesis to the Thors. And Aaron handled the increasing scale perfectly. Thor gets so few chances to be portrayed as godlike and the finale did exactly that.
>any banter at all is now 'MCU banter'
Motherfucker...
There wasn't even an abundant amount of banter or humor in this story so what are you even talking about?

It was metal AF

Great art and a decent enough story. Plus it has some pretty metal moments.

Aaron writes baby's first Thor

The Accursed was better

Saw this thread. Never read any thor before. That whole arc this morning. Loved it. What now??? Do i keep going on this run???

Amazing artwork and decent story, that while simple, feels epic and grand. Relatively continuity free and perfectly self-contained, so it's a great jumping on point for new readers.

t's a blockbuster, Aaron crafted a perfectly evergreen title for anybody to pick up and start reading Thor. It's like Batman: Hush. Plenty of people don't like Hush, but it always sell well and plenty of time is rated as an essential Batman story. It's formulaic and swallow, but it works.

>The Accursed
How? The story is as flimsy as Godbomb, but doesn't have Ribic arc, and focuses way too much on Malekith being as charismatic as an edgy brick wall.

eh, it's ok but not the best Thor. I would suggest a different reading order

Robert Rodi (especially Blood Brothers and For Asgard)
Walter Simonson
JMS
Gillen Journey into Mystery
Kirby Thor
Jurgens Heaven and Hell book
Then maybe go back to Aaron's run. Thor has had some pretty fantastic books

The story is better than Godbomb and he managed to make Malekith actually terrifying. I also love it cause Thor lost in the end, and I like those stories.

The Accursed was so boring I actually dropped the book in the middle. That story was such a meandering directionless piece of shit.

Sounds good. Thanks

>Why is this rated so highly by everyone?
because it's very good compared to nearly everything that was coming out at the time. also, it was followed up by an extremely shitty arc so it's even better in retrospect.

Not all of us are brainlets that don't know how to judge a story by itself.

meh, literally everyone who's read Thor knows he has FAR better stories

What are people favorite Thor stories? Mine is For Asgard

Aaron has written the same story three times now and will probably repeat it when he takes over a new character.

- perfect art
- 3 thors at different developments
- bad ass villain
- epic moments throughout
- showing why Thor is Thor, the god of gods, best god of them all, and not some random Avengers brick who gets his ass kicked to make a villain cool
- 100% self contained story with a beginning and end in a reasonable amount of issues

what is there not to like?

this would be a damn good 2 parter movie if they had the balls to go dark enough

God Butcher was a fine and good arc.

God Bomb was shit.

Fight me, Sup Forums

I think this has been a common consensus on Sup Forums. God hunter seemed really epic in scope, viking imagery, great painted art and a mysterious villain. Then it turns into yet another superhero comic.

I found it very metal. Malekith turns Thor's liver into glass and he spits it out into Malekith's face. It's silly, over the top heavy metal

this. i think its the best modern thor story. also i doesn't have mcu quips, the only quipy thing i can think of is young thor trying to call the other thor old geezers and on of his grand daughter saying she had impure thoughts about her young grandpa

God Butcher was great. Godbomb was a little too much. 3 Thors, a bomb to kill all the gods, just not as awesome.

Rodi is the best modern Thor writer

Aaron is the Scott Snyder of Marvel. Starts out good but it eventually devolves to an action blockbuster filled with stuff he finds cool.

>Why is this rated so highly by everyone?

This

And this

>Gee Thor! How come your dad lets you wield two hammers?

Completely agree.

Also the big fight in space is the moment the artist showed that he can't really draw action scenes.

while I agree the second half of the arc sort of takes a weird change in tone, I dont think its noticeable or drastic enough when you read it all together that it blends well enough. Its not jarring enough to dispell all the hype the first half generates

This all day. Only downside is every Thor story or team up pales after this. You just can't imagine Thor, son of Odin not bending over Danvers whenever he pleases, making Janet shrink and tickle his prostate, and Kamala giving him a bifrost long hand job on demand. The alpha of alpha males. The God of thunder. The Odinson.

Nah fuck you God Bomb was great.

This is the most cringe-inducing post.

on average he writes better, but this two arcs are imo the best modern thor story. then after this aaron turned to shit with his cancer cunt who for some reason wants to die and flaunts it in everyones face that she's thor and that she's dying

The change of tone wasn't a problem.
Fighting Gorr and his god bomb is a lot less compelling than the mystery behind the killing of gods. Gorr in himself is interesting (at first) but the plot isn't, probably because it's just another "let's stop the bad guy".

Ironically, more metal than Metal.

There's literally nothing wrong with "lets stop the badguy" plots.
Godbomb used it well by slowly building tension for the finale.