Haven't been into comics for a while, but Katana is a cool character, I wonder if her series is good

>haven't been into comics for a while, but Katana is a cool character, I wonder if her series is good
>look up the author on wiki
>"Nocenti is particularly noted for her outspoken political views. Some focus on the status of women in society"
>ehhhh doesn't sound too bad...
>pic related on literally the first couple of pages
how does this shitty writing get past editing? is this the state of modern comics? if you want to insert your shitty opinion then fine but at least try to be subtle and entertaining. this is like if someones mom wrote a comic

>the absolute state of modern day comics
It's only gonna get worse from here.

Ann Nocenti's Katana isn't all that well thought of, and she's always been a weird writer who is likely to be YMMV, but this is from 2013. So it's 4 years old already.

Nocenti is a writer I like. Her Daredevil run is one of the GOATs, up there with Miller himself. I'm sorry you got triggered really badly by this and that you're whiny enough that you immediately came to bitch here rather than do anything else. I'm kind of sorry you felt the need to establish the author's political views on a wiki before you read one of their comics too.

If you want to read more Katana I would recommend you check out Mike Barr's Batman and the Outsiders. Tatsu is one of the main characters there and plays a team mom role, but she is also very harsh at times so the panel you've posted isn't entirely out of place either.

has nothing to do with her views, I said it sounded fine in my OP. the writing itself is terrible, unless you think that sandwich quip was good? is she your mom or something?
I appreciate the rec though

Katana is a man now?

I don't know man, it doesn't kill me. But it's not made with the complete sincerity you seem to be taking it with either: it's a quip Coil himself is making half-ironically, not a quip the author is making sincerely through the mouthpiece of an unironic villain. I'm not as bothered or dismissive of it as you are, to me you seem to be thin-skinned about it but I also have previous knowledge of Nocenti and am more willing to give her leeway as a writer.

The first issue you're talking about is digging in heavily to Katana's relationship with her husband and the extent to which she was a passive participant there compared with how she's an active participant as a superhero (or if either of those is/was really true). Coil, the guy there, isn't being 100% genuine in what he's saying. He himself feels isolated by the traditional male duties he's expected to undertake in his clan.

If Katana as a character with her dead husband in a soultaking sword interests you, I'd also recommend Valiant's The Death Defying Dr. Mirage two miniseries runs. And also Ketchup Ninja just for laughs.

I just thought it was a bad first impression considering what I had just read in the very opening of the wiki. I'd prefer a writers opening paragraph not be "known for outspoken political views". to me it screams "oh boy, prepare to have said views right in my face" and sure enough its there in the opening of issue #1 with all the tastefulness of a rimjob.
that death defying dr mirage miniseries seems good, thats what I'll probably read

Desu it's meant to be a blunt opener, I think. And I'm also getting mixed up going and re-reading it: Coil really is just a sexist wanker, it's the other sword clan guy who's a bit more subtle.

It's not a great comic to get in on Nocenti. I'd still recommend her Daredevil to you if you feel like picking her up again.

Nothing inaccurate about what he said. Remember, they're japanese. The character themselves samurai.

>tfw when I won the exact bullshit corny fantasy sword that dude has

Mr. Artist dude, I don't have much context from this single panel, but shouldn't someone harping on about traditional ladies roles be using a for reals katana, and not some shit I picked up at a con for 40 bucks when I was a teen?

He's also specifically trying to say the thing that will most insult her.

They all use different weapons, the New 52 thing was completely literal about 'Katana' using a katana.

that doesn't change the fact that the artist shoulda probably come up with something other than some generic ass prop sword

because a "back to the kitchen" quip is exactly what a samurai would say...

He uses an urumi, albeit a ridiculous fantasy one that's improbably long.

Yes.

I mean basically, yes.

Nocenti's best was at Marvel. I particularly like her fill-in issue, the "death" of Peter Parker.

Her DC work is notoriously weak. And it's not just my opinion, I've seen plenty of people say the same.
Maybe it's the age, maybe something changed in her life that affected her writing or maybe the dreaded Daredevil Curse finally got her, but I didn't enjoy any of her DC works.

>is this the state of modern comics?

Nocenti has been writing comics since the 80s, retard.

>Someone who follows old Japanese ways refers to women as weak

What a shocker.

Kid Eternity is my favorite work of hers.

I completely forgot about it, my bad.
Her post 2010 DC work is notoriously bad.

WELCOME TO JAPANTOWN

>how does this shitty writing get past editing?
You're naive if you still think they aren't there to keep good writing out of their product.

I thought Japanese society is still heavily conservative with the view that women should stay at home to take care of kids and such, and only recently people started to break that stereotype.

Ann Nocenti hasn't been a good writer in 30 years.