The Punisher Early Reviews Are Split on Marvel/Netflix’s Latest

> The Punisher Early Reviews Are Split on Marvel/Netflix’s Latest

> The first wave of reviews for The Punisher are now online and, much like opinion about Frank Castle himself, critics appears to be somewhat split on whether the show is a mold-breaker for the Marvel/Netflix corner of the MCU, a bit of a Marvel TV misfire in the vein of Iron Fist and/or ABC’s Inhumans, or something in-between. For more on that, read the following spoiler-free Punisher review excerpts (with corresponding links to the full reviews).

screenrant.com/marvel-punisher-tv-show-reviews-preview/

Guess the its getting worse and worse every damn show

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2017/11/13/the-punisher-review/#560841157e07
variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/punisher-review-marvel-netflix-jon-bernthal-1202610451/
hindustantimes.com/tv/marvel-s-the-punisher-review-brutal-unforgiving-it-ll-change-how-you-look-at-netflix-s-marvel-universe/story-op2hIKJsenNvswdM7tlOWJ.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i should have expected this the moment the show steered towards goverment conspiracy shit instead of just Frank killing over the top criminals in a epidosic manner

i don't rly care for the punisher and i think that the character in general is p dumb
can i just say tho, that 1989 pun is really hot

Ah, fuck.
And here I was looking forward to this.

I forgot how terrifying Ray Stevenson looked.
It's too bad he had to be a part of a divisive movie, he'd be a great Punisher in a proper Ennis adaptation.

>Dumbass txt speak
>Shit opinion
checks out

so you don't agree that 89 pun is super hot?

No. Go be gay somewhere else.

I do user.

Meh.

Gonna watch it.

Gonna enjoy it.

imagine calling the inhumans show "a bit" of a misfire

Imagine hiring Scott Buck in the first place

Stevenson punisher was the best punisher.

that dude was a fucking force of nature who killed in more and more ludicrous ways without giving a single shit.

Good thing you've made up your mind before even watching it, 5 Mickey Fun Bucks were deposited to your account.

I didn't finish Iron Fist or Defenders.
Marvel Netflix has been slipping for a while now.

I bet you suck your mom's dick every damn day.

>Guess the its getting worse and worse every damn show
Those are almost all great reviews, and the ones that are negative make a point to mention how gun stuff is problematic in the wake of recent violence, making it clear they have an axe to grind.

>these shows i didn't watch were terrible

Iron Fist was just a bad ripoff of Arrow which was an already bad show and I got bored halfway through and stopped watching, Defenders was mediocre but I liked most of the cast and chemistry was decent so I watched all of it, Inhumans is a majestic dumpster fire that is so bad I have to finish it just to see if it can get stupider.

Most of these reviews are just retarded SJW complaints that it doesnt address gun violence enough. Fuck them. Frank isn't some political mouthpiece. Here is an example.

>There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

They dumbed down the origin of Frank for normalfags. I can already tell it'll be retarded muh revenge plot with one or two good performance, shit action and not much tongue in cheek/satirical stuff. Go read some Punisher Max trades instead because you won't get anything good here.

Is Frank the patron saint of american mass shooters?

This

Are you ready to admit that Daredevil season 1 was a fluke?

The guy said he didn't finish the shows, not that he didn't watch them, you illiterate fuck.

Been saying it since Jessica Jones.

I already did.
I do think that Cottonmouth is the only villain worth a damn other than Fisk though

>Created by Steve Lightfoot (Hannibal)

Sold.

I'm getting really tired of all those Marvel shills flooding the board.

All the homolust in Hannibal was 100% Bryan Fuller, I wouldn't hold my breath for intense, sexual staredowns between Frank and Microchip.

>Bernthal's Punisher is a perfect character for a four- to six-hour miniseries and then maybe to occasionally weave into other parts of Netflix's Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, whether the fault lies with Marvel or Netflix, this is a partnership that violates all of Netflix's "Tell your story the way it needs to be told" rules for other shows. With the exception of The Defenders, which was always announced as a miniseries, each and every one of the Marvel/Netflix shows has been 13 episodes and they've all had comparable lags in pacing and stumbles in storytelling to reach that number. But Marvel's The Punisher is the first one that feels at least twice the length it should be.

Fuck. I believe every single word of this.

Who doesn't at this point?

me

08 version was the best will ever get.
Your all fucks for not supporting it

i concur. war zone gets no love.
i feel bad for the director. she did an amazing job.

>But Marvel's The Punisher is the first one that feels at least twice the length it should be.

Implying every single one of these shows wouldn't have been better at a hard cap of 6 episodes. Jessica Jones was like 20 episodes and it was excruciating.

The strength of Hannibal was in the surreal horror and atmosphere. Who was responsible for those? I clearly didn't feel anything like that from a Punisher trailer.

It wasn't a fluke, it was the work of Steven DeKnight who made the first season and then left.

>Frank isn't some political mouthpiece.
Tell that to the showrunners who turned Frank’s story into a government espionage revenge plot. This is worse than Spider-Man 3 with the Sandman/Uncle Ben retcon.

Have you seen the show?

>overarching plot instead of pulp like short stories
nobody will ever get it right

I’m remarking on the added political aspect to Frank’s story, which is objectively a dumb move no matter what happens in the show itself.

honestly i've been watching it and actually liking it. it's basically the karnak show till the last two episodes

I like it because of how over the top and cartoony it got at points. I especially enjoyed it for not being an origin story and just letting Frank be the punisher for the entire movie.

So you haven't seen the show?

Read my post again.

Why does every adaptation of the Punisher gets tempted by the easy narrative thread of Frank being personally attacked by some easily identifiable aggressor and losing his family, then going after them for revenge?

The character is so much more compelling if he's tragedy comes from a random act of violence his family got unwillingly caught up on, with no easy face to put a bullet to, forcing Frank to have to go after ALL of crime.

Why always a conspiracy?

Its the easiest plot device in all of hollywood

THIS.
i never understood why it got no love. it was frank as he should be all the way.

Same reason Joker killed Batman's parents, the spider that bit Peter was from Oscorp, Jeff Bridges was friends with Stark's dad, Ra's trained Batman, etc. etc.

Establishing a villain and a hero in the same story is easier if you tie the two together

not that guy, but there's a fucking reason why fpbp applies, even for this thread
and it's even supported by this
>The character is so much more compelling if he's tragedy comes from a random act of violence his family got unwillingly caught up on, with no easy face to put a bullet to, forcing Frank to have to go after ALL of crime.

Because then you can easily drag the story out over however many episodes with;
>You thought I ordered the hit? Man I knew this'd come back to bite us all in the ass. I'm not the guy who ordered your families death, but I was in the room when it happened

It wasn't, it had a couple of brilliant episodes in a sea of drawn-out tediousness.

Yes

>added political aspect
Have you actually read any Punisher?

Ennis MAX had multiple long running plots.

Tying in Stane to Stark was an improvement though, as it added a layer of betrayal that you couldn't get with an external villain.

Of course not. This is a live action Sup Forums aka Sup Forums on Sup Forums.

I still like Jessica Jones S1 over Daredevil.

>REEEEEEEE

Whatever. I'm not saying its perfect or there aren't some terrible side characters, but I gave an actual shit about Jess and Patsy and I'm a sucker for crime stories about total fuckups.

some are saying it's the best marvel show

others are saying it's bad

definitely a love it or hate it/no in between.

i wonder if the haters are due to the mass shootings recently and have their own agenda and can't separate reality from a comic book character. because i find it hard to believe that this show is really worse than iron fist/shithumans

we'll know by the end of the week lads

They had overarching characters but the plot was resolved within the same arch

Source? Who is saying it's better than DD S1 or worse than Iron Fist?

As far as I can tell the (legitimate) criticism is unanimous in praising Bernthal's performance and criticizing the shitty pacing and decompressed plotting.

Sounds more like they made his origin more complicated with the government conspiracy

This is actually the first of these dumb shows I'll actually watch because of how much the creators and actor have talked about their love of the Punisher comics. It sounds like they really want to do justice to the material.

I don't listen to the critics and casuals who actually like the MCU

>i wonder if the haters are due to the mass shootings recently and have their own agenda and can't separate reality from a comic book character.

I'm a literal liberal faggot and I find this argument idiotic.

Look, I'd watch liberal action movies if they exited, but they don't outside of like, the Bourne movies. But as it turns out, liberals are really fucking bad at writing gritty action pulp, so I just accept the fact that I won't agree with the politics of my action trash and move on.

That would be a thing if they were criticizing the character or the violence in the show, but so far no one has and are actually citing that as a strength.

The CIA stuff spanned three arcs and tied into a 4th. Mother Russia, Man of Stone, and Valley Forge, Valley Forge, with a tie-in to Long Cold Dark.

I wasn't talking in the sense of premise being convoluted, more like how character is setup that's dumbed down. If you're too retarded to pick up on the implications of simplistic origin, I don't know what to tell you other than enjoy this shitty show.

forbes said it was the best thing marvel tv has ever done

forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2017/11/13/the-punisher-review/#560841157e07

variety liked it too variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/punisher-review-marvel-netflix-jon-bernthal-1202610451/

I'm torn, he's definitely the best physical representation, but Jane's portrayal in the game and how well he did some of Ennis' best lines really sold him to me.

BASED HINDUSTAN TIMES

hindustantimes.com/tv/marvel-s-the-punisher-review-brutal-unforgiving-it-ll-change-how-you-look-at-netflix-s-marvel-universe/story-op2hIKJsenNvswdM7tlOWJ.html

> Cast - Jon Bernthal, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Ben Barnes, Deborah Ann Woll, Amber Rose Revah
Rating - 4/5

> Joss Whedon, godfather of the geeks, hates the Punisher. And his hate isn’t just a cutesy oh-I-don’t-believe-in-guns-and-murder hate; it’s a rather extreme if-I-were-in-charge-I’d-kill-the-Punisher kind of hate.

> Years ago, he called the Marvel antihero a ‘coward’ – the Punisher, you see, has a controversial affinity for firearms (and using said firearms to lethal effect). And Whedon – who has since earned the unique distinction of having directed both Marvel’s Avengers and (partially) DC’s Justice League – wasn’t done there. If you felt that he was being a tad unreasonable – we are, after all, talking about a comic book character here – and questioned him, then you were nothing but a fascist.

> Well, if you’re the betting type, here’s a safe one for you: Joss Whedon isn’t going to like the new Netflix Punisher series.

this is a bigger positive review for me than anything, hyped as fuck now

Frankfags vs Not Character fags basically.

Frankfags who post "Frank le frank, frankd frank franking frank xD" will love it like S2 of Daredevil.

>episodic storytelling
>in the age of digital streaming
It was never going to happen user. These shows are made for binge watching.

Frank and Karen were the only good parts of S2.

The Blacksmith resolution was retarded, but Karen exploring her issues having taken a life in S1 through the prism of someone as disturbed as Frank and forming an intentionally uncomfortable, disturbing friendship with him was an actual dramatic idea instead of MUH CITY or fucking Hand lore nobody cared about.

There's only one way to know if it is good or bad. And that is to watch the show. Reviews, whether they are good or bad aren't going to replace actually watching the show.

I liked Killgrave alot too

>I’d be willing to wager no one – not even the most ardent Punisher fan – would have expected this show to tackle themes like PTSD, homegrown terrorism, war veterans and gun control. But it does – and it does it with remarkable bravery and insight. There’s no way of knowing just how mass shootings, a uniquely American problem, will translate here – I remember seeing AK-47s being sold on J&K footpaths like wholesale vegetables – but at least we could try.
Fuck, I thought this show was gonna be /k/ incarnate. Please tell me this show isn't spreading liberal propaganda.

How is the reviewer talking about Joss Whedon?

>I’d be willing to wager no one – not even the most ardent Punisher fan – would have expected this show to tackle themes like PTSD, homegrown terrorism, war veterans
I can only assume whoever wrote this is legitimately retarded.

I thought he was pure trash.

Whedon famously called the Punisher a fascist and said he'd destroy the character if he could

Punisher must really crust his lip.

it is going to be /k/ incarnate. just because they tackle the issues doesn't mean they'll be against them

there is no doubt that frank will be pro-gun, i mean c'mon

> not only does Frank Castle – that’s the Punisher’s alter ego – make use of a disgustingly huge arsenal of guns (mostly to kill, and sometimes to maim), but he does it in what is – and I do not exaggerate when I say this – a jaw-droppingly violent television programme.

>I never though The Force Awakens would have a lightsaber in it!

>tfw if I were to write comics for Marvel I would slaughter villains I dislike en masse so as retarded Whedon is I can't say anything about him without being a hypocrite

whedon is just an idiot for not "getting" frank. he never will. he's that type B personality. he can't into military, he doesn't get cap either

>Karen
>good

Punisher > Captain America. I dont think its that either though. I hate Captain America, believe he is a boring character matter of fact.

It's funny. The show treated Hannibal like some horrible force of nature rather than a human being. I thought that would be a perfect approach for Frank, except you'd have to replace FBI agents and normal people being disguster by/scared shitless of him with criminals being like that instead.

disgusted*

>I’d be willing to wager no one – not even the most ardent Punisher fan – would have expected this show to tackle themes like PTSD, homegrown terrorism, war veterans and gun control.
u fokkin wot m8

Just more proof that Whedon is an intolerable faggot, as if we needed any more.

>worse and worse
Maybe it was never all that good, but reviewers were just riding the Marvel dick.

Is anyone surprised? The trailer genuinely looked awful. Maybe its because Ike is now only doing tv stuff, but its all been downhill since S2 of Daredevil.

But user, everything Netflix cape shows do is totally revolutionary and have never been done well in the comics or any other forms of media!

Not liking Punisher is fine, he has a right to his own opinion but Whedon going out of his way to humiliate him in Runaways felt like a petty waste of time. Not to mention a bit hypocritical for someone who made Firefly, in which the heroes were also a gun-toting outlaws.

He even failed at humiliating him. Taking a punch from a super and still being able to stand is pretty tough.

No, the only good parts of S2 were when Frank and Matt were together on-screen.Which was sadly only the first half of the season. Frank is a great foil to Matt and Matt's struggles to reconcile him and his actions, and his own feelings on both, was pretty compelling.

Karen just dragged down Frank's storyline.

>critics are divided
>the only critics to cast negative light are anti-gun white-male-are-the-devil types
I'm still gonna binge it, and give it all a rewatch.

I supported it in theaters, even bought the DVD. It's still a fucking horrible movie.

It's heart breaking because it COULD have been so much more.

>Stevenson punisher was the best punisher.
A Punisher who accidentally kills a cop is not muh Frank.

> marveldrones saying that punisher will kill Justice League opening weekend
> this reviews
> equal or worse than iron fist