DC Comics Moves To Artist-Focused “Marvel Method”

bleedingcool.com/2017/11/13/dc-comics-move-artist-focused-marvel-method-that-marvel/
>The standard expected working arrangements for writers and artists for over seventy-five years at the publisher is that the writer creates fully-scripted stories for the artists. Well, from 2018, writers will be instructed to work the so-called “Marvel Method”. Providing plots to be then turned into comics by the artist, before being scripted by the writer.

>It moves the narrative responsibility for structure and storytelling from the writer to the artist, and is part of a greater emphasis on the artist over the writer at DC Comics, that was prominent with the launches of the DC New Age Of Heroes titles

>This will be the standard going forward with the monthly ongoing titles unless, I am told, if the artists specifically request a script to work from. Or, I guess, that’s how the artist and writer decide that’s how they both want to work together. Should make for some fun conversations.

>Advantages of the “Marvel Method” over the full script method that have been cited by creators and industry professionals include that the artist is more visually-minded and thus often has a better notion of how a scene should play out, it gives the artist more freedom, and it lightens the burden on the writer. Cited disadvantages include that not all talented artists are talented writers, and some struggle over aspects such as plot ideas and pacing, it takes advantage of artists, who are typically paid for art alone even though they are essentially working as co-writers, and the artist’s development of a story may clash with the writer’s style.

>Bendis comes to DC
>DC literally changes the entire way they've made comics for over 75 years
Well RIP. At least with Rebirth we had a high note before the end.

The difference tho is that DC fucking learns from their mistakes, they'll turn back around soon

>the DC New Age Of Heroes titles

What is this?

Titles that are launching after Metal ends.
Most of them are Marvel rip-offs.
Damage is Hulk, Silencer is Black Widow, Terrific's is F4, etc

Yeah there's no way. I can see this for Dark Matter but DC has so many superstar writers that this would completely change their model.

DC is making new characters that are silmilar to Marvel characters . There coming out next year.

This is pretty blatantly for Bendis

Imagine being this much of a blind apologist.

if bendis is behind this then it's a worrying sign

So should I be worried is this a good or bad things it’s not like the way they had until now was bad he’ll we’ve gotten great art from this I don’t get why they want to change that

I didn't even know there was a new line. What are all the new books?

I'm 100% sure this is just for Dark Matter since they said it would be lead by the artists right from the start

BENDIS!!!!!!!!!

I think they start next month

Not according to Rich.

oh god THIS SHIT LITERALLY GAVE ME FEAR

Rich says a lot of stupid shit. He just blatantly ignored it for starting shit.

Try Dan Didio. He is supposedly unhappy with Johns wrestling control of DC from him despite Johns not even being part of editorial.

Would they really change the whole company for Bendis, when they have a bunch of over big-name writers like Morrison? I could see them letting Bendis write all his books that way, but why everyone else?

I hope DC realizes how much more of a pain it'll be to shuffle artists around now.

BENDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

FUCK

Damage (Venditti, Tony S Daniel)
The Silencer (Abnett, Romita JR)
The Terrifics (Lemire, Reis then Shaner)
The Immortal Men (Tynion, Lee)
Sideways (Didio/Jordan, Rocafort)
These have all been delayed for another month or so
There's also:
The Curse of Brimstone (Justin Jordan)
The Unexpected (Orlando)

Still also New Challengers is yet to be solicited (because Andy Kubert).

Which of these are going to be Marvel analogues and what Marvel characters are they going to be analogues of?

Do you even understand how Marvel Method works? It means the ARTIST has control over how the direction of the story is told.

>THIS WRITER WHO WRITES FULL SCRIPT IS NOW IN CONTROL OF A METHOD THAT FAVORS ARTISTS!!! REEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You fucking idiot.

Archive the link please, no clicks for the Leech
Also is there proof for this

This is just them mocking Marvel now.

Guys I'm scared

WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN HAPPENING??!?!

Like, does Marvel even use the Marvel Method anymore?

You mean you don't want your comics written by Brett Booth?

This.

The entire thing reeks of Didio and Lee trying take back control now that "Rebirth" is ending and Johns is moving on fully to the DCEU. Rebirth's success probably pissed them off to know end.

it could be something that bendis talked dc into doing so that he doesn't have to write anything other than dialog

The 90's are back baby, artists are the main priority.

According to that link, probably not.

With good reason.

>know end

Bendis doesn't use the Marvel method.

In fact, the only person at Marvel who still uses it is Dan Slott.

I'm just an illustrator. What did you expect?

How does your dumb conspiracy theory make any sense? Bendis generally wrote full script.

But modern artists are lazier than ever!

We're doomed.

>In fact, the only person at Marvel who still uses it is Dan Slott.

Maybe that's why his books sell better than every Marvel comic aside from Star Wars and events?

>Like, does Marvel even use the Marvel Method anymore?
Last time the used it was Fraction's Defenders, solely because he really wanted Dodson to do more of the storytelling.

This was announded months ago at the initial Dark Matter promo early in the year. Long before Bendis.

>Spider-Man with historically low sales

God they really are. I knew 90s nostalgia was getting out of hand. Hopefully Marvel will go bankrupt again soon though.

Except then it was just for the New Age of Heroes line. According to Rich it's now going to be linewide.

Yet still outselling every Marvel title that's not Star Wars.

Bendis doesn't use the Marvel method?

The Marvel method?

Because it's Spider-Man. A literal monkey could write it and it'll sell well.

Well, there goes the hope for finding a new Moore, Gaiman, Ennis, Grant...

Bendis generally wrote full script?

britbong writers are shit, neckbeard

Fake """Contrarian""" spotted

Holy fucking cringe.

I always wondered why DC tended to have better writing.

Now I know.

Well, enjoy it while you can

Why cant they just do it like manga where the artist is also the writer

Yeah, I'm sure Rich knows what he's talking about when he says DC is switching from the method they've done for 80 years and are going with the Marvel method for their dedicated Not Marvel line.

The Marvel method hasn't been used for decades. And when it was (the silver age) Marvel created comics of such historical importance as Fantastic Four, which DC never equated. Why are DC shills so ignorant?

Stan claims another victim

STANDING
ON THE EDGE

>fake news
>drones are THIS desperate to get a win over DC

Imagine being this pathetic

When the fuck are these New Age of Heroes books starting? Are they all delayed until next year?

because there are many people who want to do comics but do not know how to draw and many cartoonists who want to express their art but do not have many ideas. Something like the bakuman manga, of course the artist can provide ideas but it is usually the writer who has control

What the fuck is DC thinking with this?

Once Metal ends

Nah, Waid uses it too. Basically anytime you see the artist credited for the story it's Marvel method

>people freaking out over DC experimenting with a standalone line of books

Begging you all to lose weight

Is it cringey to enjoy good writers now?
How far will contrarianism go?

C'mon, bro. Just because DC is doing OK doesn't mean we should be apologists, this is stupid

They start in February or so now. Metal had a bit of a delay

Before Marvel, DC created comics such as Action Comics #1, which Marvel never equated.

What does that have to do with the marvel method discussion?

Calling it the "Marvel method" this day in age is entirely misleading. The "Marvel method" is Stan Lee bubbling in dialogue over other creator's work and art.

A artist should NEVER be given control of how a story is set up over an experienced writer. Comics are a medium about story telling, not art showing.

Why didn't Marvel never have anything as iconic as Action Comics #1 with their Marvel method?

Well damn. Thanks tho anons

According to the article, this is for all monthly ongoings moving forward. Reading comprehension buddy

>get ahead of marvel
>IMMEDIATELY fuck it up

Because iconic status isn't as important as quality? Kirby has Action Comics beat.

*Did

This seems kind of dumb. Maybe it's something the writer and artist should work out between themselves instead of just doing an all-or-nothing thing.

Also can you imagine how much worse Marvels' comics would be if their current roster of webcomic artists and tumblr pinup artists were the driving force behind the storytelling?

Amazing Spider Man 33

This actually sounds great. My biggest problem with Western Comics is the lack of dynamics in the action. Giving the artist more leeway in the flow of the story is promising. As long as there is an Editor-in-Chief there to keep it all in line, I fully support this.

I'll drop all 200 pounds of me right into your gaping asshole.

Read Image in the 90's. Choreography was one of the things that lacked the most.

>Quality is important
It's not like FF #1 is revered for it's quality over stuff like Watchmen and Sandman.

most of the best comics artist aren't working for DC right now

That's what I was worried of. But on the other hand as much as some of DC's artists have problems at least their is some sort of art direction guidance (which probably comes from Jim Lee being an artist) and we've seen Larry Hama step in to help breakdown art for Deathstroke.

I don't think anyone really disputes the iconography of Action #1, just that the "Marvel method" as executed by Lee+Kirby and co. marked a shift in storytelling.

Doesn't DC have a bunch of writers on lock with exclusive contracts?
Does this mean we would get more out of Otto "Dickgirl" and "Lesbian BSDM" Sejic?

>writer
>also the artist
That's overstated. The writer for the manga is generally doing breakdowns and drawing the important characters on each page. Usually the backgrounds, extras/less important characters, screentones and such are done by the assistants. It's not the same for everything of course but that's generically how it tends to go.

There is also the fact that rarely comics have a single artist determined in dc and marvel, so it would be a fucking monumental disorder in narrative

What comic do you recommend for art that flows? The best DC artist that I know of is Stjepan Sejic, and his art is amazing, but still doesn’t denote action the best way imo.

Sejic is shit. Juan Ferreyra is the best action artist they've got, but too bad the writing on GA sucks donkey balls.

UNDERWATER
LESBIAN
BDSM

This is actually a great point in favor of this way, but if it's really that awful, maybe they should lighten the workload/release dates.