The DCEU just isn't working. So how would you do it Sup Forums?

The DCEU just isn't working. So how would you do it Sup Forums?

How would you make a coherent universe that appeals to fans and the general public?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HuK-A2rEFF4
youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA
hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/Glassfish/88047/Brids-of-Prey--Jaime
theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A bit more lighthearted, a bit more hopeful and a LOT OF IGNORING BATMAN.

I don't know the first thing about film, and neither does the rest of Sup Forums. You're asking the wrong people. Being familiar with the source material only gets you so far

>Superman Returns and Batman Nolan added into the shared universe.
>focus on wonder woman aguaman flash first solo movies before justice league

I would release a new movie every week. All shared universe with occasional crosd overs.

>I would release a new movie every week.

MAD MAN

Make the villain of the Justice League movie Starro. Starro doesn't really have a "personality," so you don't have to worry about establishing it as a character, but its mind control aspects represent a more unique threat than simply "big alien the heroes have to punch." It's also a throwback to the comics and you don't have to worry about fucking up the New Gods so hard.

Having such a simple villain means you can focus on just building up the team, defining them, and establishing relationships between them. Hell, you could use the first couple episodes of the DCAU Justice League as an example of this. They come together, there's moments where they pair off and establish individual relationships, and all work together in the end to defeat an enemy. It's simple, but effective.

Stop trying to build a cinematic universe with the shared universe itself as the end goal and focus on making good movies about characters who haven't been done a million times on screen yet. Let things grow and come together in time.

>Set it in the canon DCU, essentially (most elements of pre-flashpoint and some from rebirth)
>Don't worry about things that don't affect the plot of the film
>Write a story that works without having to set up another movie or use material from others

I'd shelve the fucking entire concept for decades, and double down in Wonder Woman solos and reinventions of Batman, just to spite fuckers like that may well have killed the DCEU and doomed us to exactly that.

I have this creeping dread that EVERYONE is going to turn on this chimera JL. Whedonites and MCU fanboys will hate the Snyder parts and says they didn't go far enough. DCEU loyalists and Snyder fans will hate how cut up the movie is and all the reshoots.

If you hated it, all you had to do was not go see it, or leave a bad review, and leave it at that. Screaming and crying 'not muh' for three years now means that none of us are getting a coherent film with a solid vision/direction and if it bombs it will probably be dropped like a hot plate, because you don't 'try again' when something like this fails, too risky, you recoup your losses and fucking abandon ship.

Adaptation of Justice by Alex Ross to introduce everyone.
Maybe as a triology, then branch out with solo and team movies. Self contained, adaptions of great stores.

I'd make relatively low budget R rated Vertigo line and have a quiptastic main line for the shit munchers

Give this man the solo movie he has deserved since the golden age

cast Nicholas Cage as The Question, start of with a trilogy of movies where he investigates superman, batman, and wonder woman, trying to identify the one spoken of in some ancient prophecy describing the one who will end the world. the end of the wonder woman movie reveals its actually Orion. this leads into the New Gods movie where Orion's war against Darkseid nearly destroys the Earth
After this there's a Justice League movie which is about the trinity founding the league and getting a few new recruits, miracelman, big barda, booster, blue beetle, and guy gardner. takes a lot of inspiration from JLI, naturally.
in the same phase there's a Constantine & Etrigan movie ft. Zatanna, a Martian Manhunter vs Lobo movie, Batman vs Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol starring Beast Boy, and Superman vs Brainiac. at this point do a crisis movie which leads into the next phase being a loose adaption of 52, spread out across several movies. so you have the The Question movie with Vic dying and training Renee, a Man of Steel movie with the replacement supermen,
a teen titans movie thats a mashup of beast boy finding a new team after losing the doom patrol and the lex luthor backing the tt from 52.

for the next phase, go full british invasion. Sandman, Animal Man, Shade the Changing Man, the Hellblazer with the story where Constantine has to make pace with the twin he killed in the womb, remixed together with the story where he's dying and ends up tricking the three kings of hell, all that psychadelic jazz

Bring back Teen Titans and The Batman, and create a new (and vastly improved) DCAU from them.

>and focus on making good movies about characters who haven't been done a million times on screen yet

this

maybe a cinematic universe isnt even needed. Just pick unique characters and bring them to the big screen. People want fresh stories but they're getting sick of pure capeshit.

>(and vastly improved)

I hope you get raped

>I have this creeping dread that EVERYONE is going to turn on this chimera JL.

Probably. Too many signs. Where there's smoke there's fire.

>you don't 'try again' when something like this fails, too risky, you recoup your losses and fucking abandon ship.

Aquaman is done shooting and Shazam has Cap and Billy cast, script's not done yet. What will WB do with those?

Unlike , i love batman and feel hed be essential to the team considering hes one of the only heros people actually care about. With that in mind, there shouldve been atleast a couple of standalone batman films before this. Having him deal with the joker, professor pyg, two face, and some of his other villains. Because the problem i have with justice league is that im not all the interested in steppenwolf or seeing these heros come together, i want to know more about this dsrker world and see what the other batman villains are like. Also, redo the fucking joker so hes more like the classic hamill version.

Really just have tone that fights the characters. Would I want to see Swamp Thing quip, or Superman busting up a ring of child rapists? No, of course not

Shazam will bomb

But it's gonna be the least Snyder film yet

Aquaman will obviously be released since it's already finished. Remember getting bad reviews means fuck all if they're making money. So it's to early to say what they do

Stretch powers aren't a great idea for live action. Especially Plastic Man's specific gimmick of contorting into objects. It could end up looking like a nightmare.

>Would I want to see Swamp Thing quip
It's not like he doesn't have a sense of humor, he did get Constantine's ass a tattoo.

but there already is user

Save the new gods for later on, drop hints of them. The first justice league movie villain should have been either brainiac or trigon. There shouldve been atleast five movies before justice league.

That's not quipping. You wanna see Marvel and New DCEU's Swamp Thing? Well take a look

youtube.com/watch?v=HuK-A2rEFF4

it'll come off as extremely corny then. That type of capeshit with the cape and tights doesnt work in live action nowadays. Might as well do it animated or not at all.

I didn't say it was quipping, please calm down.

It's tainted now, really I can only say what I would have done from the start at MoS
For starters I would have hired Alan Burnett and Bruce Timm as producers and Script Supervisors on a multi picture deal, they keep the ship righted in terms of tone. They clearly got the characters in a way that appealed to a ton of people in their shows.
Then I would have hired Mark Millar and teamed him with whatever director the studio wanted (even Snyder) to write the script. To the uninitiated this might seem like a bad idea but Millar loves Superman, and does him right, read his Superman Adventures if you don't believe me. Millar already has the Hollywood clout to throw his weight around and wouldn't be bullied by Snyder, especially with Burnett and Timm at his back. Then I would sit back and let Snyder do his thing visually, and we would have had a good movie.

>That type of capeshit with the cape and tights doesn't work in live action nowadays.
I beg to disagree user. The ending of wonder woman was extremely corny, but i enjoyed it anyway. It was a nice change of pace from the usual superhero movie endings we have been getting the past 10+ years.

I disagree. If we had Superman dressed up in the exact same suit as he had in the Donner movies I'd see nothing wrong with it. Don't fix what isn't broken. They ruined Spider-Man's suit in Homecoming by making it some tecchy garbage Stark made instead of regular cloth he had to sew himself.

>Save the new gods for later on, drop hints of them.

I'd have the first hint be in Wonder Woman. Ares didn't kill the other Gods, he's the only one who survived the attack of Apokolips. The reason he fuels wars around the world is that he needs mankind to be stronger in case they return because the way we advance best is through war

It would have made him a unique villain in all these cape films

I am calm YOU CUNT

I'd start the New Gods storyline the same way Kirby did, with Jimmy Olsen.
Shame he's a dead CIA agent in this continuity, huh?

>If we had Superman dressed up in the exact same suit as he had in the Donner movies I'd see nothing wrong with it.

you really think that would fly with general audiences today? There's a reason Batman and Wonder Woman suits look armoured up and away from the old school looks.

I agree with the Spider-Man thing. It was too much of a stray from the original spirit of the character, and I think they could've found a better balance.

that could be his older brother. Jonathan Olsen, "Jimmy" comes too work at the daily planet in honor of his beloved brother and gets introduced in the new superman movie.

So you would make a "Superman's Pal : Jimmy Olsen' movie to introduce the new Gods?

You fucking mad man, i'm in

>you really think that would fly with general audiences today?
Yes. It would fly with me.
>There's a reason Batman and Wonder Woman suits look armoured up and away from the old school looks.
Who likes them? I don't. Don't know anyone who does. When BvS screenshots were coming out I remember people making fun of Batfleck looking like Owlman.
I guess it would be more of a Newsboy Legion movie but pretty much, yeah.

Comic icons may sell in the short term when you "shake it up".

It's just bad writing/execution when they take an iconic character and do what they normally do... ending up really dull.

Take for example: Flash.
You throw all the "lolscience" and "metadurrmans" and make that the entire story arc. You throw in some crime solving detective work instead of "lolscience" and you get a crime fighting, not a fireworks light; show.

I would work Green Lantern first. Everything from their perspective from watching Krypton go boom, to seeing that Supes gets to earth safely (while investigating supergirls lost craft). Diving into a treaty that halts them, all the while martan manhunter going through a gig.

Then at the start of the time jump it ends on a cliffhangar that gets revealed piece by piece with each sliver of evidence batman and flash finds, until they finally meet and share their info.

Wondy having gone into the afterlife to find her lost mother to retrieve her living mother. Finding essence of things she's familiar with. Finding dark secrets of a past long lost. Only to find that its the crimes of her sisterhood and who-dun-it. She has to tread lightly to find traitors. Her kin having many years over her in wisdom and craftiness. She seeks outside help after WW1/ww2(whichever the artist picks), to obtain the aide of a famous mind of that era. Someone who teaches her the dark side of truth, as she seeks the truth in her kindred. (Yadda yadda, live 10 lifetimes you spend an eternity regretting something so they adhere to the warrior code and die as their penance when she finds culprits etc)

Culture, wild change in story and BOUNCING BETWEEN THEM BEFORE THEY MEET. Each in the same chapter of finding clues to the same great mystery. Add in whichever cult/crew as antagonists being used/utilized for it all.

It's not called DETECTIVE COMICS for nothing. Fucking USE IT DC!

>that appeals to fans and the general public?
>LOT OF IGNORING BATMAN

You dun goofed.

The older I get the less I like the Timm universe and the more I like the more wacky side of things.
JLU was a great show but Timm very much had a terrible habit where he took things either too seriously or in order to make characters he likes stand out dragging other characters down

>It would fly with me

you're not a general audience member. You're someone who posts on a comics messageboard, meaning you're more inclined to something of a throwback or old-school than most.

>Who likes them? I don't. Don't know anyone who does

But they seem to be the only way to bring the DC costumes to a somewhat realistic fashion. Look how ridiculous Flash's costume looks.

>you're not a general audience member
S-sorry.
>Look how ridiculous Flash's costume looks.
I notice it doesn't look anything like it should from the comics. It looks just as shit as the Spider-Man outfit. Realism just doesn't seem to be working.

Batman Brave and the Bold is vastly underrated, especially it's female characters.

youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

>I notice it doesn't look anything like it should from the comics. It looks just as shit as the Spider-Man outfit.

At least the Spiderman costume, as bad as it may be, fits with the tone and design of the universe it inhabits. Flash looks like garbage in a gritty DCEU

>Realism just doesn't seem to be working

I think it depends on what character it applies too. Wonder Woman's costume isnt too bad, but I cant imagine a "realistic" Green Lantern that doesnt look like shit.

>Flash is a premature ejaculator and Aquaman has a microdick
>Plastic Man can satisfy all the bitches
How did they get away with this?

So they want a threesome with Batman?

It was a different time.

>threesome
Foursome.

Or Jaime/Blue Beetle

hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/Glassfish/88047/Brids-of-Prey--Jaime

HOW ABOUT JUST MAKE THE MOVIES WITH CHARACTERS THAT PEOPLE LIKE? LIKE THE CHARACTERS IN THE COMICS THAT PEOPLE LIKE?

Jaime is pure

>DCEU j

There's no such thing. Stop using it as a term.

Call it the DC Films, like the company does. If they really go through with the Elseworld plans (and they're definitely spending pre-production money on the two Joker films and thinking seriously and doing some modeling for Red Son), think of it as a 'universe' will just be as stupid awkward as this name that was just coined by some stupid journalist is.

The DC Universe if you must. But just don't.

It's a very night and day difference. On the one hand you have a show that's not afraid to embrace how silly it's origins are and seems to be revel in it even and then we have a show that seems like it's trying very hard to not be seen as silly which I think is the biggest weakness of DC's extended media. They try very hard to be seen as mature and not just funny books

We know these characters and what people don't know, can be assumed through the context of the movie. So they should do standalone movies.

Look, it's too late. A post explaining what they should have done would be too long. The best way to say it is they should have followed the MCU model. Carefully release everything in stages all planned out and interconnected.

It's too late, they have already said on the record it's failed and they are abandoning the shared universe and will just do one shots from now on. They blew it.

>theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone

>PLEASE DON'T WATCH JUSTICE LEAGUE
>MY FAMILY IS DEPENDING ON THIS PAYCHECK

BvS did that and look at how that turned out.

Double Down

Make Superman even darker & even more like Dragon Ball Z

Do nothing. the DC universe is fucked, wait a good 20 years and try again.

JLU did it right.

Give Snyder direct control. 4 hour movies for every character.

>it's a Batman wins because he's batman episode

THIS

I really liked Batman V Superman.
And Wonder Woman.
And while I didn't REALLY like Suicide Squad, and think Assault on Arkham was way better, it was still enjoyable.

It's the general public that's failing, not the DCEU.

By not airing it in the US.

The DCU has two mediocre movies, one of which won an Oscar, and one less than good movie that was crap because the studio forced Snyder to add in JL setup at the cost of essential scenes.