Illumination entertainment is making the Super Mario Bros movie

>Mario and Luigi are heading to the big screen in one of the highest-profile licensing deals by a Hollywood studio in years.
Illumination Entertainment, which makes animated films for Comcast Corp.'s Universal Pictures, is close to an agreement with Nintendo Co. to make an animated "Super Mario Bros." movie based on the 32-year-old videogame series about a pair of sibling plumbers who fight evil turtles and mushrooms in a fantasy kingdom, said people with knowledge of the discussions.
The most complicated issue in the negotiations between Illumination and Nintendo has been making the Japanese videogame company feel confident it will be involved enough in the creative process, said one person close to the talks. Nintendo's creative guru, Shigeru Miyamoto, who created Mario Bros., has been part of the talks and likely will be a producer on the movie, along with Mr. Meledandri, this person said.
The agreement could allow Illumination to make multiple "Super Mario" movies, though only one is currently planned, this person added. It would be animated by Illumination's Paris studio Mac Guff and is in the early stages of development, meaning it likely wouldn't come out for several years.

wsj.com/articles/mario-bros-set-to-jump-to-big-screen-in-movie-deal-with-universals-illumination-1510675881

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7eWmnhOIW0k
youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good god no...

I like it. Euros are bigger fanboys than hollywood suits so it could lead to something.
The only problem is that it's likely they'll use toads or goombas as minions clones.

>Mario and Luigi
>Illumination Entertainment

SHIGGY WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

do you have any argument that isn't "it's not Disney it's haram Disney hackbar"?

i'm surprised, nintendo's super uptight about their IPs as of late
if nothing else it'll be a bog-standard mario romp with standard mario aesthetics

Yes. The entire creative output of the company.

Well I'd really rather Dreamworks, desu...

Fuck.

>We can see Luigi dabbing on the big screen.
Noice.

At least they won't put minions in it
Right?
I mean, we already got a Rabbids crossover, Nintendo wouldn't go so low as to put minions with Mario, would they?

I'm scared guys

in Hindsight with New Donk City in the mix now.

It wasn't that bad a film.

>The most complicated issue in the negotiations between Illumination and Nintendo has been making the Japanese videogame company feel confident it will be involved enough in the creative process, said one person close to the talks.
I hope that creative control is what tanks the movie. We can only pray that negotiations collapse over whether or not they want to bring Mario into a fictional New Donk City or a live-action New York City.

GOODBYE DINOSAURS

>smirks
>farts
>shakes booty to mid 2000s club hit

youtube.com/watch?v=7eWmnhOIW0k

This is LITERALLY the worst timeline
I never imagined Nintendo would whore Mario out this bad

Those movies are decent to good. You'd know if you watched them instead of dismissing everything not allowed by your local Disney priest.

goomba's are minions.

Toads are 100% going to be the new Minions

Both are lazy companies devoid of creativity that use cutesy atmospheres to make up for the lack of any real depth in their products, so I'd say it's a match made in heaven.

The only bad movie on that list is HOP.

>Mario and Luigi are heading to the big screen in one of the highest-profile licensing deals by a Hollywood studio in years.

>Illumination Entertainment, which makes animated films for Comcast Corp.’s CMCSA -1.18%▲ Universal Pictures, is close to an agreement with Nintendo Co. NTDOY 1.20%▲ to make an animated “Super Mario Bros.” movie based on the 32-year-old videogame series about a pair of sibling plumbers who fight evil turtles and mushrooms in a fantasy kingdom, said people with knowledge of the discussions.

>Nintendo’s marquee characters have long been tempting to Hollywood, particularly now that the movie business is driven by globally popular franchise films featuring well known brands like Marvel superheroes, “Fast and Furious” and Harry Potter. The dozens of Super Mario Brothers games and their spin-offs are widely believed to be the best-selling videogame franchise ever, having sold more than 330 million units total, according to Nintendo.

>Other Hollywood studios have sought the Super Mario Brothers rights in the past, according to people familiar with the discussions.

>Illumination, which made “Despicable Me,” “Minions” and “The Secret Life of Pets,” has been talking to Nintendo for more than a year about the movie, according to the people who know about the recent talks. The potential deal follows an agreement Universal’s theme-parks unit made with Nintendo two years ago to build attractions based on Mario and other characters.

>A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment, as did an Illumination spokeswoman.

>Universal finances and releases films produced by Illumination, which it co-owns with the animation company’s chief executive, Chris Meledandri.

How fucking shit taste do you have that you think MINIONS isn't an absolute dumpster fire?

>Nintendo hasn’t made deals for movies or TV shows based on any of its marquee characters since 1993’s commercially and critically disastrous “Super Mario Brothers” starring Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. Since then, its only cinematic efforts have been 20 inexpensive children’s animated movies based on its “Pokémon” games that were produced by an affiliate.

>The most complicated issue in the negotiations between Illumination and Nintendo has been making the Japanese videogame company feel confident it will be involved enough in the creative process, said one person close to the talks. Nintendo’s creative guru, Shigeru Miyamoto, who created Mario Bros., has been part of the talks and likely will be a producer on the movie, along with Mr. Meledandri, this person said.

>The agreement could allow Illumination to make multiple “Super Mario” movies, though only one is currently planned, this person added. It would be animated by Illumination’s Paris studio Mac Guff and is in the early stages of development, meaning it likely wouldn’t come out for several years.

>Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima said in an interview last year with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun that the company was in talks with several Hollywood studios about making movies based on its games. In an April analyst briefing, Mr. Kimishima said the company is making theme-park and movie deals less for the potential profits from licensing than for the additional sales revenue that could come from “synergy with the dedicated videogame business.”

Nintendo needs to go bankrupt, they are EA tier.

>Videogame movies have had a relatively poor record at the box office. Last year’s “Warcraft” was a flop in the U.S., though it did well in China, and other disappointments have included adaptations of “Doom,” “Need for Speed,” “Prince of “Persia” and “Assassin’s Creed.”

>Nonetheless, they remain attractive to Hollywood. Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. in March will release a reboot of “Tomb Raider,” after a pair of films in the early 2000s based on the games about an explorer and action hero had mixed results. An “Angry Birds” animated movie last year performed decently and a sequel is scheduled for 2019.

END

M: Luigi, we-ah gotta to get outta here
L: How-ah bot that kart-ah Mario?
*They run over to a go kart
M: *jumping into driver seat* Hurry Luigi get..
L:Mario...Move-ah over
M:What?
L:I got-ah this
*They see me rollin. They hatin*

I was fine with a super mario animated movie,but i did NOT want it done by illumination.

Are you unironcially using the profitable = good argument?

youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

Makes perfect sense. Time to buy stock

Thats like 50/50, there's a chance ot could be good.

>It made money so it's good
Let me guess, do you use this same argument to defend the Emoji movie?

Thalidomide made a fuckton of money too, user, and also created many deformed babies.

So Goomba's are going to become the new Minions right?

They'll end up so popular with the casuals that Nintendo will spin them off into their own franchise like Ubisoft did with the Rabbids.

>How fucking shit taste do you have that you think MINIONS isn't an absolute dumpster fire?
It was a pretty average, however it shows full well that Illumination are a good fit for Nintendo since they can competently do a movie revolving around a bunch of gibberish speaking fucks

>People keep going to see the movie even
>Not good
?
You mean The Kino Movie? Did you not see the colon joke? baka. Such shit taste.
lets stick to the subject, Kemosabe.

>Dance Number at end of movie
>Princess Peach twerking to "I'm a boss ass bitch"
>bonus points if it's a kid bops version or a specially parody version named "I'm a bossy princess"

Will Martinet dub him in english?
It'll be weird to hear Mario with another voice.

This is the subject. Illumination movies cause birth deformities.

Please don't Emoji movie my childhood hero.

Universal also has Dreamworks Animation and as far as an animated Mario project goes, the property would be in better hands over there. The only reason they're going with Illumination on this is because Nintendo still fucking hates Katzenberg after he let the live-action Mario movie happen back when he was at Disney.

We're probably gonna get some Minion-ass Toads and Goombas now.

>Decent Tier
Despicable Me 1 and 2
Secret Life of Pets
Sing

>Pain Tier
Hop
Minions
Despicable Me 3

>Eternal Suffering Tier
The Lorax

Should have went with 20th century fox. They did a decent job with the Peanuts movie and Captain Underpants.

They better make it basically a modern/updated version of Super Mario Adventures. Also
>Mario crosses over with the Rabbids
>Mario movie is created by Illumination (owners of the Minions who people compare to the Rabbids)
Pottery.

>the property would be in better hands over there.
lol.

Dreamworks has a better hit to miss ratio then Illumination has ever had.

Captain Underpants was Dreamworks

>we’re getting an animated Super Mario Bros movie
>okay that could be co-
>It’s made by the same assholes who made the shitty Minions and Sing
Oh for fucks sake! Of all the people to get the ip!

I can’t wait for the fart jokes!

I can’t wait for the dance number at the end!

>>Eternal Suffering Tier
>The Lorax
How bad me be?

I would even take Blue Skys, user.

Peanuts showed they can (for the most part) respect a source material.

Lorax was a goddamn abomination and Horton was terrible.

They better fucking get Martinet, I don't care if he's not some sexual harasser, I mean, big Hollywood actor or whatever, he IS Mario.

Horton was a Blue Sky movie. It's just that afterwards, the directors and the Seuss rights jumped ship to Universal and that's how we got Lorax

Nintendo are decent

Does that mean it's gona be a fun movie. Who thought Mario+Rabbids would be good from the start

Well, the branch of Ubisoft that made Mario + Rabbids also had great respect for the source material (among other things). I think it will partially depend, however, on how much Nintendo allows Illumination to get away with. Everyone knows Rabbid Peach, but the only other meme I can think of was Luigi (occasionally) dabbing when laying down a sentry. The Mario characters were pretty true to themselves for the most part and Nintendo is said to be very picky about how their characters are represented (see: Wreck It Ralph and how the filmmakers had to adjust Bower's sitting/cup drinking animations until Nintendo was satisfied).

>Hasn't played Odyssey
Wow what a fag!

Man, I'm always surprised how much Bob Hoskins looks like my dad in Super Mario Bros.

>it's another Sup Forums hates Illumination because Minions were really popular thread

In one hand, Illumination has been able to make nice surprises, what with Pets, Sing and the 2 original Despicable Me movies.

In the other hand, though
>Minions
>The Lorax.

but I'm gonna bet that this is (hopefully) the same situation as with Mario + Rabbits, as it might end up turning into a masterpiece.

Better them than Sony

At the very least we can rest easy knowing it'll be fully animated and not some live action drivel

... have you seen the Super Mario Bros. movie?

>Decent to good
They are mediocre at best

>Don't let disney use Mario, even after they showed they are capable of doing videogame things with wreak it ralph
>Give it to the people who did the minions and shitty grinch
Fuck

Unrelated, did the Grinch get a trailer yet?

It was delayed so the release is still over a year away. Obviously anything other than a Christmas season release was out of the question so they just pushed it to November 2018 instead of 2017.

Fuck they could’ve gotten anyone else blue sky, dreamworks or just get could’ve just made it had drawn but they got the one studio that could fuck it up

>Eternal Suffering Tier
>Not 'How Ba-a-a-ad Can It Be' Tier
Come on, man. Did you even try?

>Thinking cumberbatch will hold a candle to carrey
user...

Well, no, but it would be nice to see a bit of footage. Better to preemptively judge it that way.

Why didn't they go with Sony Pictures?

Nobody wants to work with them now. Even Sonic jumped ship to Paramount.

>90 minutes of Charles Martinet talking to himself

I came here to see tards overreacting and memeing.

You'd be better off looking on Sup Forums

What a click bait title you gave the thread Op

But our witty posts and excellent images...

As long as Mario and Luigi mostly speak in their incomprehensible simlish like the in Mario i Luigi-RPG series, I'm fine with it.

Sup Forums became Sup Forums so quickly I didn't notice.

>When Minions was a better movie that Despicable Me 2 or 3

They're a hit or miss company, there could be a chance. They're excellent with cartoony gags though, so at least I can look forward to that.

>Toads are Minions
They even have several recognizable ones to push as comedic reliefs.

This movie is going to be worth it solely based on MovieBob's tears.

You leave Captain Toad out of this, he is pure!

Nintendo will have reps monitoring the guys making it 100 percent and wont allow the finished product out unless it fits the standard they want

>thinking the carrey movie is good

At least nostalgia for Space Jam and Good Burger is mostly ironic. The fact that people think that Grinch movie is good blows my mind.

What about OLM?

What are the essential Mario games for a newbie?

>Mario had a game with rabbids recently
>Studio behind the minions movie is making a mario movie
>Shiggy on his knees as he sucks off a minion and a rabbid

THE CIRCLE IS NEARLY COMPLETE

I just remembered that Miyamoto said in one interview that he wanted Mario and Mickey Mouse to team up. Guess that dream's dead.
Fuck, indeed.

Post which failed SNL cast members will voice each character

Assuming you're not memeing, you can jump in with the NES games, World, and maybe Yoshi's Island.

So, release date, 2177?

There's no way in hell Nintendo will let anyone besides Martinet voice Mario

The other characters that usually does the voices for, maybe, but not the man himself

Considering how much of an iron grip Nintendo had on Disney for Bowser's 10 second cameo in Wreck It Ralph I imagine this will be fine.

They made a deal with Universal for the amusement parks, so its no surprise they got confident with them

>being this new
Nintendo shilled hard their IP's during the NES era, but i understand you dont know that since you probably didnt event exist back then in your father's testicles

So, who will voice best boy? Will he even be the main villain?

>Toads
>Not Koopas
Silly villains are easy to market than goody guys