How do you make a good Superman film in this day and age?

How do you make a good Superman film in this day and age?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C2gQo-0VW5c
youtube.com/watch?v=mNYJ4B4OrR4
twitter.com/yahya/status/889650948414386176
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pick an actor with an actual cock

Remove christian themes, add judeo themes

Have him fight brainiac

Hire Terrence Malick.

>Remove christian themes, add judeo themes
Lex_WRONG.gif

this

dont make it dark and gritty, and include people like Jimmy Olsen

A realistic take can work. Remember the two teasers for Man of Steel with Pa Kent and Jor-El speaking? That wouldve been epic done right.

I'll do what TTG did and either make it a parody of Batman vs Superman or do their "dawn of just us" idea which was a bromance movie with Batman and Supes.

Superman returns was epic.
youtube.com/watch?v=C2gQo-0VW5c

>Superman lifts progressively heavier things: The Movie
>epic

This honestly. It was never suppose to be a christian story. Fucking Synder.

Go the Kingdom Come route; Supes started his hero career in the 1930's or 40's, and still carries the ideals of that long gone American era. Due to the magic that is Kryptonian DNA Superman only appears to be a man in his early 40's , well built with a touch of grey in his temples. He serves as a mentor to the more cynical modern heroes, and serves as the moral center of the League, which only sprang into existence sometime in the late 2000's. Can't have him being a perfect Mary Sue tho, so make it so that he's not entirely used to working with the League because for the first 40 or so years of his superhero career he worked alone. Because of this and being literally decades older than everyone in the room, he can sometimes act like an overbearing, overprotective father "who knows best". Movie ends with him acknowledging that he needs to loosen the reins and be more open to new ideas from youngsters.

By making a good film that is about superman

>i read this in his voice

>no depressed Superman
>First movie: Base it off Secrate Origin and Birth Right. Make some minor character be the villian like Metallo, Parasite, hell, I'd love to to Mxy.
>Second movie: Main willians will be Lex and Braniac. Introduce Supergirl
>Last film: Death and Return. Make Cyborg Superman be the primary villain. Doomsday will only appear in the begining
>Remove christian themes, add judeo themes
>not liking Christian atheistic
This

t. satan-mark waid

>Superman being a deadbeat dad
>epic

Superman is more like Samson or Moses then Jesus.

Get a director who doesn't kill off Jimmy Olsen.

oh cute, the "i will take one element of a movie and try to make it sound like everything is about it"

Also 4:10 to 4:55, THAT'S the real superman motherfuckers
youtube.com/watch?v=mNYJ4B4OrR4

>DCEU had their own CIA
>kills him off faster then the first time

This. Superman's dad isn't a cuck

I haven't really read much Waid. Are American father figures from a bygone era a staple of his?

>i will take one element of a movie and try to make it sound like everything is about it
Your lack of self awareness is painful

adapting peace on earth.

Superman was never supposed to have a no kill rule either

i don't believe so, he's just shitposting

That's right bitch, fucking lex luthor is motherfucking dead right?

It was a fatal misstep of DC for not making this his first film when the game just came out.

By not trying to deconstruct the poor bastard.

Make Superman a wholesome, likable yet simple minded country hick, who solves complex and seemingly insurmountable problems in the most simple and surprisingly obvious ways, using his wholesome country experiences.

Make him a dumb as a brick on he surface, but actually profoundly intelligent in his own way.

Make the man cheerful, upbeat and never lose his composure even in the face of complete Armageddon - a true beacon of hope.

also give him a sweet beard

Less Miracle Man. More Supreme.

You don't. I never understood the appeal of superman, even as a youngling.
He just seemed like a really boring character.

Would Clancy Brown be a good live-action Lex, or is he too old?

You'll like him as you get older and read more of his books. Everyone starts out that way. especially once you have kids

i'm pretty sure he's old dude

wait I just realised im basically describing Goku...

Make him a symbol of peace and justice, make him happy and have people actively becoming better people due to his influence. Don’t make him dark and brooding or damaged. Also focus less on AYY LMAOS and more on him trying to help people.

Can you give me the gist of what makes him a great character to you?

he IS goku

In all seriousness I've never really understood why he needs to be full power from day one in the movies.
Can't we do a golden age Superman where he can just jump high and his strength is capped out. Even American Alien did that, but the movies go straight to god mode powers.
Save the flying and absurd full strength for the sequel when you need to escalate things.

Man of Steel was great, so just do that. But don't waste Antje Traue as Faora, cast her as Wonder Woman.

You can get away with an older Lex.
Paint him as a man that's conquered. He stands at the top of his field, at the top of industry, he's the power behind a dozen thrones, and he's got no more mountains to climb.
Then along comes this alien that's got a youth and vitality that's only a memory and does things that make Lex's empire and years o accomplishments look like a footnote. There's your bitterness and your motivation.
Lex should either be a contemporary mirror or older and more savvy. But not a young twitchy punk.

you don't, you wait a while until unironic unreserved wholesomeness has a broad appeal to it again (it will happen, it won't take a revolution or any shit like that), and then you make it like the original two movies but with a different plot and style, but the same tone and some of the same themes

There's a lot of self sacrifice in his books and he's usually written as a person that cares about everyone. He shows a great deal of empathy - even for someone like Lex.

Which books have you read?

The same way you would in any other day and age.

Not really. I read All-Star, Morrison Action Comics, American Alien, Secret Identity, BIrthright, Superman Rebirth (the whole run so far), Red Son, What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, AND For the Man Who has everything.

While I enjoyed some of those stories a lot, I still fail to see why Superman is a compelling character. The "not liking Superman means you're a casual" meme is untrue,even though most normies don't like him. Some people just don't find him captivating for their own reasons

This

He has too many fucking powers

here's a trade you should pick up nigga

See, this is why people call me a casual when I say I don't like superman. They assume I'm a dumb power level faggot who thinks a powerful hero cannot have compelling stories.

I don't dislike Superman because his POWERS make him boring. I dislike him because I think he HIMSELF isn't interesting

First and foremost you need to make him just a likable guy.

Don't give him some tragic childhood where he had no friends and never fit in. I'd make it so that literally the entire town is basically in on the secret, but since he's such a great kid and everyone love the Kent's it's an unspoken rule that if any outsiders come nosing about in regards to strange tales out of Smallville everyone sticks together to deny them.

He should be show actually having fun with his powers, I'd literally open the film with a scene of him having a blast playing on the moon with Krypto before realizing that he's late and Ma asking if he's been on the moon again, he says no but then Kypto drops like a moon rock on the ground and shakes off tonnes of moon dust.

He should also an ironclad will to not just stand there and do nothing when others need help.

He's not perfect. He has doubts and worries but he doesn't let them get him down. He loves talking and interacting with people. I'd have a scene of him giving kids at a children's hospital rides.

Humanity shouldn't fear him becasue he's constantly showing them that he's just a regular guy (eg. a scene of some old lady bullying him into helping carry her shopping all the way home AND helping her put it away) this endears him to people and shows there's nothing to fear.

So you don't like the idea of someone who's virtuous for virtue's sake?

Damn it Zack get out of here

This same prob with martian manhunter

Goku's beard was one of the best things from Super

>Don't give him some tragic childhood where he had no friends and never fit in. I'd make it so that literally the entire town is basically in on the secret, but since he's such a great kid and everyone love the Kent's it's an unspoken rule that if any outsiders come nosing about in regards to strange tales out of Smallville everyone sticks together to deny them.

His fans can't relate to Chad Kent

Is he too pure?

Superman is far too conscientious to be "just like" Goku. I agree with your "simple, but strong" take but Goku has a self-absorbed/selfish streak to his personality that Superman would never indulge.

I always thought Morrison's AC run would be a good basis. Superman being a social crusader would be something that could potentially be interesting and stop the inevitable SUPERMAN IS BORING criticisms, as well as retelling his origin story in a somewhat creative way. And Brainiac being the villain would be great.

Where's black manta to fucking kill this kid

how much you wamt to bet they will cut the hand off in the aquaman movie already.

who could they cast for manta that would look intimidating next to THIS GUY

You make another action film. Die Hard, lethal Weapon or what have you. But the movie is around Clark being one of the hostages or never getting the chance to be on his own and him trying to keep people safe and possibly get to be Superman.
This way you keep him human without making him too alien. You also get to build a movie that can still stand up even if the superhero aspects suck.

I found his obsession with Lois incredibly creepy. The actor legit looks like a rapist.

A villain other then Lex or Zod would be great.

Doomsday in BvS doesn't count because that was literally Zex/Lod.

Perhaps that's it, but I think it is more how what is important about Superman is his status as a symbol of justice and hope, and while that is fine and dandy, he tends to feel a bit one-note

Reading a few classic Superman stories, it seemed that they were either "Clark growing up and learning lessons that will shape him into Superman" or "Superman facing insurmountable odds and coming through anyway with a smile on his face"

I don't mean to sound like a cynic or a pseud, but I just feel that Superman as a character isn't complex enough for me

THIS guy gets it. If you want to make any superhero movie really good. It should be a movie that can stand on its own without the costume or special effects. These are great characters that are lost when hollywood comes in with all the CGI bullshit.

Wait a year and find out.

You're right too, he's pretty barebones

He doesn't NEED a no kill rule, in the same way your average daycare worker doesn't NEED a 'no punting the children across the room like John Arne Riise'.

It's just highly fucking immoral to have him kill mooks that are comparatively weaker than quadripalegics are to us.

In fact, most stories centre around the people Clark can't save, like the last act of man of steel, and it's not like destroying a city to rebuild it 3 weeks later is new to a DC comic. But nooooooo, suddenly everyone is an expert in how many staff are working INSIDE a steam tower, or how a gravity based bulldozer would definitely not smoosh all those humans to death, unlike those cars over there (which now resemble a SNES Mario kart character for all the dimensions it has).

Man of Steel has many, many, many flaws. The people he couldn't save, his lack of control over his powers, and the 'wrong specific choice' of messianic allegory weren't one of them.

Make captain america

If he killed he could save so many people. Those mooks would go on to rape, pillage, and kill again.

red hood had the right idea

That was the good thing about the Super Max script. It was honestly going to be a better version of Suicide Squad. Stupid Green Lantern bombing in the box office killed any hope it had.

Read it.

FEAR HIM

twitter.com/yahya/status/889650948414386176

This

fuck off with your 'themes'. we don't need religious symbolism of any kind. just make a goddamn Superman movie. they managed to pull it off in 1978 why the fuck can't we do it again?

I do agree on Brainiac, however.

Superman is heavily steeped in Judeochristian myth, it's in every documentary

"relatability" isn't just "i can see myself in this guy".
It's also "I can see myself hanging out with this guy."
People want heroes they can have a beer with.

adapt pic related to live-action and replace phil with pa kent

All Star Superman. Definitely will never work but I can dream. I just want Superman being the shining beacon of truth justice and the american way. Just an optimistic movie. And of course every other scene Superman has to rescue a cat or stop a robbery by being nice to the robbers just to hammer home his down to earth personality.

This. No one wants to hang out with a depressed psychotic obsessed-with-a-roastie LOSER. Synder Supes is /r9k/ with a cape

BASED.

Cast an actor with actual charisma, who knows how to be charming and fun.

Write Superman as an actual character, with his own thoughts, beliefs, making his own choices, with his own struggles. And make him interact with the public ffs. Also make sure he actually takes care to avoid civilian casualties and collateral damage in super fights.

Embrace the more fun aspects to the character, like the crazier villains, like Bizarro, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and Brainiac (who could even be reinvented to fit the grittier mold of the DCEU even, but still). Also, stuff like Supergirl, Krypto, and the Legion of fucking Super-Heroes (seriously, if there's any reason to give us another Superman origin movie, it'd be to introduce the Legion).

Give us a Lex Luthor who actually resembles the one from the comics, if not at least DCAU Luthor, who is still the best version of the character outside of the comics.

So basically just give us something inspired by All-Star Superman.

Easy, don't do a Superman film with him being the main character.

Make Lex the main character and tell the story from his nihilist perspective. To contrast Superman's absurdism.That way you have a vilian and a good guy who both aren't necessarily wrong and both have strong reasoning behind their believes.

Superman is sisyphus, from the myth of sisyphus written by Albert Camus, and Lex is a UBERMENSCH who thinks that Superman is holding humanity back. The rest of the story writes itself really.

Voice sounds rad as fuck

Just give him an actual personality. I feel bad for Cavil since he's stuck playing a character wit nothing going on. Looking Captain America, he's charming as fuck and still just as much of a do-gooder dork. I really think that's the biggest problem with modern Superman movies is that the fucking guy is just a boring emotionless monotone fuck.

I'll never understand how DCEU fans can claim Snyder made Superman relatable when the guy downplayed and killed off as much of the Clark Kent persona as he could.
Struggling with how people perceive your godlike power isn't relatable. Pining over the cute girl in the cubicle next to you is.

You make Raimi's Spiderman

a) Give him an actual charming personality. Mopey Man is so, SO boring.

b) Pick a villain other than Lex Luthor and General Zod. Brainiac, Mongul, Mr. Mxyzptlk, anyone else.

c) Don't make him a jobber. And give him a brain, for fuck's sake. Man of Steel utterly pissed me off with how Superman is basically just getting ordered around by everyone else. Would it be too difficult to let him come up with a plan to defeat Zod and company by himself?

d) Get a scriptwriter with a good understanding of story fundamentals that can write an entertaining story about an alien refugee with flying brick powers. Not a comic-book writer. Then you end up with shit.

e) Get a director with a good understanding of film as a visual medium. Mad Max: Fury Road was shit on a plot and character level, but my God does George Miller understand the visual medium concept better than anyone else.

f) A personal peeve but would it be too much to ask for someone OTHER than Lois Lane as a love interest? Man of Steel almost seemed like they were going the "childhood sweetheart" angle with Lana Lang at the start, then she just disappears. Shit, I'll take the fucking Encantadora at this point. Doesn't help that Henry Cavill and Amy Adams have all the chemistry of an empty test tube.

g) And finally, make sure the director, the writer and the producer LIKE Superman. Not this Hack Snyder, Fag Goyer and Bravo Nolan team-up we got.

Sam Raimi could probably make an excellent Superman film.

It'd be great to see what he would do with more off-beat and humorous, yet potentially horrific villains like Bizarro or Mxyzptlk. Or even the Parasite or Toyman, or something.

>Bruce Campbell as the Prankster when?

>f) A personal peeve but would it be too much to ask for someone OTHER than Lois Lane as a love interest? Man of Steel almost seemed like they were going the "childhood sweetheart" angle with Lana Lang at the start, then she just disappears. Shit, I'll take the fucking Encantadora at this point. Doesn't help that Henry Cavill and Amy Adams have all the chemistry of an empty test tube.
I was with you up until this.

No, give us the proper Clark Kent/Lois Lane/Superman love triangle and give us a Lois Lane who's actually LOIS ffs. Make her charming, fiery, witty, and sarcastic, yet with a sweet and caring side too. And make her a badass instead of a damsel-in-distress. Let her actually do at least one cool thing. Like, give us General Sam Lane and give us her post-Crisis military background so she can do some shootin' at some aliens or something.

From the cesspool that is Sup Forums

>Brainiac (who could even be reinvented to fit the grittier mold of the DCEU even, but still).
Despite his concept being inherently silly Brainiac has been played as a super srs psychopathic mass murderer since the Bronze Age, and comics starring him usually have a lot of torture and genocide.

>he actually thought this was deep
Daily reminder Snyder movies have the depth of a student film and anyone impressed by these surface level metaphors is a brainlet

>Despite his concept being inherently silly Brainiac has been played as a super srs psychopathic mass murderer since the Bronze Age, and comics starring him usually have a lot of torture and genocide.
True that.

I mean, Brainiac COULD be campy but more often than not, he's portrayed as more of a serious, sometimes even creepy, and intimidating villain, you're right.

>yet simple minded country hick
No.

>No, give us the proper Clark Kent/Lois Lane/Superman love triangle

Done to death and honestly, if you're not going for a full silly angle, that shit won't fly. It just makes Lois look like an unlikable, shallow bitch, which is I guess is sort of the point, but still.

>and give us a Lois Lane who's actually LOIS ffs

Adams' Lois seemed to alternate between occasionally being as snarky as standard Lois and then being a total sweetheart. It was weird.

>Make her charming, fiery, witty, and sarcastic, yet with a sweet and caring side too

I guess a personality wouldn't hurt, but God am I over bitch Lois Lane. For all I find Adams' Lois boring, she was actually occasionally likable.

>And make her a badass instead of a damsel-in-distress

She was shooting Kryptonian soldiers in Man of Steel. Really, I'd tone down her "I'm a badass" stuff. Most of the time it's just used to make Superman look impotent.

>Like, give us General Sam Lane

Sam Lane never amounted to anything more than a bland knock-off "Thunderbolt" Ross. If it were up to me, I'd bury his character forever and retcon him out of existence.

>we suddenly live in a world where DC/WB knows what's good for them
>Raimi is tapped to make MoS 2
>teaser trailer hits
>it has as much vibrant color as a Jim Lee drawing
>as much dignity as the Max Fleischer cartoon
>the cliff notes for the film come from the beloved '90s comics
The world may not get to see this. Why live?

no it's not you moron. I literally listed one in my post.

if there was any Judeo themes in the 78 film it was so remotely subtle compared to MoS its like comparing an anal tumor to a pimple.

Captain Marvel's going to show them how to make a good Superman movie AND Green Lantern movie.

Make him an analogy to middle eastern migrants.

>Done to death and honestly, if you're not going for a full silly angle, that shit won't fly. It just makes Lois look like an unlikable, shallow bitch, which is I guess is sort of the point, but still.
Not necessarily.

>Adams' Lois seemed to alternate between occasionally being as snarky as standard Lois and then being a total sweetheart. It was weird.
Adams' Lois just comes off as forgettable and generic to me. I love Amy Adams to death but I don't care for her Lois.

>I guess a personality wouldn't hurt, but God am I over bitch Lois Lane. For all I find Adams' Lois boring, she was actually occasionally likable.
Eh.

>She was shooting Kryptonian soldiers in Man of Steel. Really, I'd tone down her "I'm a badass" stuff. Most of the time it's just used to make Superman look impotent.
She got lucky and barely knew what she was doing. It needs to be toned up, if anything and I can't think of a single time Lois being a badass ever made Superman look impotent.

>Sam Lane never amounted to anything more than a bland knock-off "Thunderbolt" Ross. If it were up to me, I'd bury his character forever and retcon him out of existence.
Eh. I'm not crazy about his character but it does give another element to Lois and her relationship with Superman.

Too bad we live in the worst timeline, friendo. We might not even get MoS2 in the first place.