/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #425

How's your cartoon?
edition
What would your webcomic be like if it was a cartoon? What would you do differently? Would you have a different artstyle and presentation if you didn't have to do the art yourself? Who would you cast as your beloved characters?

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
youtu.be/9kkjr4qcrkE
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover
misssandy8.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>Ctrlpaint.com
>drawabox
>Or just ask YouTube

bump

The latest.

That was fast. Didn't expect a new thread so soon. Good job OP!

let this be the last

inb4 the thread is complete trash like usual

Now in color.

Nice work, you're pretty good.

Thank you. I’ve been making comics all my life.

Isn't this the guy who only posts scans from a crappy 80s jokebook?

>Rules

Once you have an opponent you draw your girl beating/overpowering/getting the best of the the opponent's girl, then the thread votes. The loser has to draw their girl surrendering to the winner.

>Set Bouts

Vryka vs Bryte Suskind

Sarah vs Hel

>Roster to be randomly sorted

Alice
Rosaura
Rococo
Milly
Veggie's character Strawble's character If you don't want to be randomly sorted you can challenge whoever you want from the roster.

Strawbles and Veggie, can you give us some information on your characters and what comic they're from?

I'll wait to the end of the week to sort the random roster.

There's still time to register your girl. She just needs to be from either a webcomic you have or a webcomic you're creating. The theme is magical girls and witches, but you can bend the rules.

Hel vs Sarah just needs Colfusion to post his entry before voting can begin.

Vryka vs Bryte Suskind can begin. We just need the two to draw their characters fighting before voting can start.

Be sure to give as much information as possible about your character, the world they're from, and what they can do so your opponent can depict them as accurately as possible

Maybe he is the 80s jokebook guy, still chugging to this day?

Yes. He's started adding in color and copyright 2017 to his scans for some reason.

Working on mine. 60% done with the sketching and then just gonna do quick lineart. Christ Sarah is fun to write dialogue for.

That would be kinda endearing.

Pretty sure this guy is just an autistic furry though.

wouldnt be the first time ive seen someone take someone elses linework, color it, and claim it as a completely original work

But to take it from an old jokebook from the 90's?

Why? Does he think its funny? It's just bizarre.

Saffron and Sage, page 41! There are some fuzzy assistants in the women's bath.

Only male peacock spiders are colorful like that

>8 seeds

This is pretty good for a tournament. It'll go 8 to 4 to 2. I'm looking forward to finding out more about Veggie and Strawble's characters.

>Hel vs Sarah just needs Colfusion to post his entry before voting can begin.
Why did CF challenge dewd if he's going to be this slow about it?

I love those spiders so much. they dance and everything. exactly the kind who would sing this kind of song.
You should've participated in that spider challenge a while ago

To be fair I don't think he's slow about it. It's only been a few days.I don't expect everyone to be instantly firing off fighting sketches once the pairs are made. And I'm sure some people are going to chicken out of their surrender sketches.

If the spiders are singing shouldn't there be music notes around/in the speech bubbles?

He didn't. The user you're replying to handled the initial challenges.

No, you don't get it. I'm asking why CF went out of his way to issue a formal challenge from himself to the dewd.

how do i learn to draw like this

It was more the HYW swimsuit guy asked if CF was cool with taking on dewd because at the start it looked like no one else would enter the contest if those two were involved and CF said yes.

And then CF proceeded to bitch about it because CF gonna CF.

By being a furfag.

wait what'd I bitch about? I seem to recall saying if my participation would discourage others then I'd be happy to stay out of it

You threw a fit over the semantics of "challenged vs being challenged".

Just hurry up with your entry so dewd can crush you.

well I appreciate you explaining it properly so I don't have to throw a fit though I am increasingly suspecting the guy you replied to is specifically trying to get my goat -because- I made such a point. sticklers gonna stickle I guess.

Pulling for Bryte, I love villianesses.

im working on a new page, its almost done, all it needs is some dialog really and its done. I hope chads fingers make you laugh as much as they made me laugh while I was drawing them. Since this is and has always been a goofy cartoon comic I feel like I have the freedom to get away with really crazy and wacky shit that makes zero anatomy sense. lol

I couldn't get away with that in my other 3 original comics im working on, they are all heavily tied to anatomy, one is a manga called meteor random, one is an american super hero comic called demon fuse, and the other one is a freestyle comic called fates chaos, its really hard to put a label on the style since i just made it up

***side note: ive been getting back into fighting games hardcore and for the past 3 days straight ive been playing skullgirls 1 and ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 with a really big bulky arcade style joypad i got plugged into my computer and now im really really wanting to do a skullgirls style comic. but i dont know what the style is, is it grim dark cartoon? anime manga???? i dont know but i want to do a comic in exactly that style with super over sexualized monster girls. lol

I'm assuming Vryka is a good girl. Vela hasn't told us much about her other than that she can't speak common and has earth powers.

You should do a Skullgirls comic where they're all toddlers and they sexually experiment with each other's bodies.

wtf? um... no, lol. that sounds pretty fucken retarded my dude.

It's for a research project my friend is doing for laughs haha

Thanks for cheering on my character user, here's a preview of what I have been working on. I'll have it ready by the end of the week and it's going to have 11 pages. It's going to be drawn fairly rough in black&white&teal

its done, i hope yall like it, yall can read it here: ggz.thecomicseries.com/

I didn't, your comic is fucking terrible.
I honestly just assumed it was some ironic joke, but you've kept up with it far too long for that to be true.

M-maybe it's a really long joke?

perhaps you read it wrong, read it again but this time without being a humongous useless waste of life retarded faggot and then tell me how you feel about it. you fucking talentless no taste having mongoloid, FUCK. lol XD :P

Has anyone ever shown a comic manuscript they were working on to people at a convention? I want to show someone my work, but I don't really have manuscripts to show. I wonder if its ok to pitch ideas to people at cons.

Impossible, since the comic is written by a humongous useless waste of life retarded faggot Mexican pedophile dog molester with no taste

HaHa Burn! You retard XD. Get rekT son!

Also your comic is garbaGe

*mic drop*

you literally just made everything up. get the fuck out of here with that weak ass shit.

also im only kind of a mexican. kind of. as in im not a full blown mexican. so why even bother calling me one?

>you literally just made everything up
>I DINDU NUFFIN!
Just because you are an illegal immigrant doesn't mean you have to lie, cheat, steal you know?

Eddie Guerrero was a bad role model son!
Be like John Cena instead!
youtu.be/9kkjr4qcrkE

>Getting this upset about it
Your webcomic is poorly drawn, there is no sense of consistency in the art other than the fact that characters are consistently drawn in stiff, awkward poses. The writing is also very poor, like you've never listened to an actual human being talk in your entire life, it's like you haven't even read other webcomics either.
The plot, if you can even call it that, is so far in the background that I struggle to say that it even exists to begin with, same goes for your "humor."
Are you autistic? That's honestly the only explanation I have for your comic, it's just that bad.

I'm pretty sure that's considered rude. There are channels you go through to get noticed as a writer/artist. The guys at a con are there to sign your comic books and shake hands. They aren't there for you to show them your work.

I don't know dick about making comics but I have this cool set-up with a ton of ideas, and last night pounded out a basic outline and rough drawings. Now what? I'm a writer, I can draw enough to carry my own, but it's nowhere near good enough to be in the finished comic. Do I have to hire some fucko now?

Post your script. It's how I got an artist to work with me.

That's what I did. Course I had to refine the planning a lot more with my pitch and provide a few pages worth of script before they said "yes". You're looking at $30 - $55 dollars damage.

Pan Pizza is that you?

My script isn't written to the point of being decipherable to anyone but me yet, but I might do that when I get it sorted out.

Okay, cool, doesn't sound bad. What about figuring out designs and stuff? Like do I just find someone whose art I like and hope I described everything well enough?

This better be fucking good.

When you post your script I'm going to steal it. Also, I will put lolis in everything and add scenes about menstruation.

>My script isn't written to the point of being decipherable to anyone but me yet, but I might do that when I get it sorted out.
You may want to do that first before deciding to get serious about anything.
>Okay, cool, doesn't sound bad. What about figuring out designs and stuff? Like do I just find someone whose art I like and hope I described everything well enough?
Basically, especially if their page says they're looking for work.

BONES NO

>11 pages

Whew.

So how hot is it going to be?

Also how are things looking on your end Vela?

I think it's pretty rad. It'll be awhile before I get the balls to post it, especially with threats of additions of lolis lol but I've put a lot of effort into coming up with plots and characters and stuff.

>Okay, cool, doesn't sound bad. What about figuring out designs and stuff? Like do I just find someone whose art I like and hope I described everything well enough?
I drew them as best I could and my artist refined them. I think I got lucky and pulled one that draws and makes expressions exactly as I picture them, so I guess you gotta dig for someone with great synergy.

Hell, all I really did was ask people here.

If you need me I'll be asleep for the next 16 hours.

THE KING IS BACK BABY

STEP ASIDE COLDFUSION

yasss king yasss

But my tumor will kill me in 15 hours and 59 minutes from when you posted

you are letting video games take over your life bones. haven't seen a goth grillz update for weeks, do you even want to make it?

>Saffron and Sage

eyyy, I love thewebcomicsreview

If you want to pitch ideas with a view to getting hired, you'll need to speak to an editor. You can often find them in a bar after the convention; offer to buy them a drink.

If you just want feedback on a work in progress, you can ask an artist in Artist's Alley, but only if they're not busy. If they have a queue of people in front of them, then it's probably not a good time.
If you already know the artist from having spoken to them before/bought their stuff, then that's a good start, as they'll be warmer to offering a proper critique than if you were a complete stranger. Note that artists have very little sway in hiring anyone; if you want to work for a specific company you need to find an editor.

Some companies may offer portfolio review sessions at conventions; keep an eye out for them.

If you just have a script but no drawn pages, then that's going to be harder to get looked at. Should you find an editor willing to take a look at it, have a script packet you can hand to them for them to take away, and swap business cards. Follow up a day or two later.

Many comic news sites have articles about what to do regarding pitching and/or portfolio reviews at conventions.

But i've seen people get feedback from artists and writers at cons. I'm planning on going to one soon and some artists will review your drawings and manuscripts.

>dewd
>crushing anyone

>cf
>not getting crushed by someone

You'd be far better off pitching a detailed proof-of-concept rather than just a script.

both of them are lucky bones was away playing video games, with his fight scene drawing experience from DEMON/FATE he would crush both of them

Welcome back Bones, we missed you!

What kind of stuff should a proof of concept include?

Don't worry, you're not alone. /hyw/ gave everyone here cancer.

>Being this jealous of Bones
Lol you guys just don't know what a REAL artist's work looks like. Post your work ;)

Put your name back, Jesse "le 56% white" Gaza
Stop LARPing as user poster

I have 2 more pages for you to check

and someone was asking for my blog last thread
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover
misssandy8.tumblr.com/

Good luck user.

Please make Vryka grovel and kiss Bryte's feet...

and last one

also you don't have to bother with polish text, I'm not posting it anywhere.

Scripts for at least a few pages, an overview of the series, character information, character designs if you can swing it, and minor examples of what you think the end product should look like in the form of a comic.

It's a lot easier than I'm making it sound, considering that most of this can just be taken from the planning stages. You're trying to pitch an idea that has a lasting impression on the artist in question.

I highly recommend you try /ic/ or the Sup Forums drawthreads first. They've got more than enough artists willing to help out if they think the idea and the pitch is good enough.

Dewd vs Coldfusion is truly the hypest matchup.

Isn't the competition going to be rigged? ColdFusion is so much of a meme that people will vote for him solely because he exists.

Strawpoll checks for duplicate votes, so you'll have to drive around with your phone changing IPs to cheat.

I don't think anyone is here is so sad as to do that. But maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

>11 pages

Oh shit I'm hyped. Do you think you'll be able to post any of it today?

My initial premise took place in a high school and involved a group of hustler teenagers, but as the world-building went in I started adding in more characters from made-up shows like card-battling shonen, psychic detective action, martial arts action/drama etc. The idea was a story about "normal" characters making deals with the normal and the fantastic, like Gotham Central or Arkham Asylum Living Hell, but maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle. Perhaps I should just put some of the made-up kids together as a team and have them interact in a slice-of-life series with occasional action.

>Normal characters interacting with action/adventure genres

Have you ever read Astro City?

How bad of an idea do you guys think a comic where the art is just cleaned up sketches?

It depends on how good the story is. XKCD was just stickfigures and it became a megahit. Order of the Stick was just slightly more detailed stick figures. Homestuck's art was horrible (and so was the story, but you get what I mean...).

Lackadaisy Cats is one of the most beautifully illustrated things on the internet and yet it doesn't make near the clicks and money as other webcomics. You don't need good art to make it big.

Cool, yeah I figured but I also have the fear people will see it's a sketch and just pass it up on that alone. I'm really just desperate to write so I'm trying to cut whatever corners I can art wise to save money.

>Astro City

Haven't read it admittedly. I don't know if rereading it would help me stop treading old ground with this story, or ironically it would start informing my future writing instead. The premise suggests that the genres represented are mostly different eras of superhero comics, whereas I wanted to explore a combination of different genres entirely.

11 pages? Damn dude, now I have to step up. I have work and exams this week but hopefully I'll get some done this weekend. I was going to ask how many pages it could be, but I guess there's no set limit. I'll experiment with a more action oriented/sketchy style

So you said Bryte has toxins that come out of her arm/hand, is it just like her sockets open up and these needles/hooks come out attached to wires? I'll see what I can come up

l-lewd

>Homestuck's art was horrible
lmao
say what you want about where story progression went but to decry hussie's art is pretty silly

homestuck's style in the first few pages was meant to allow a whole bunch of pages to be cranked out very quickly, on top of harkening back to old-school adventure game interfaces

that being said wrt to bad art i think it's doubly effective if you pull your punches early (assuming that your writing can carry your art) and jump the quality later, as bridging the divide from shitty to decent art is way more noticeable than marginally increasing the quality of already-serviceable art

Both Polish and English versions are fine. Just recheck the capitalization and punctuation (full stops).
The king's harem... I mean, guards, are quite cute.

You can have as many or as few pages as you want. Even a single sketch is acceptable.

>l-lewd

If you lose would you actually draw Vryka doing it? I mean it is your character so I imagine you get to decide how dignified the surrender pic you have to draw when you lose is.

bro, I though we were just drawing our characters in swimsuits, this is too fucking complicated

Heh aren't we all just cleaned up sketches in our own way? Nothin personnel.
Also, witnessed.

>I'm really just desperate to write so I'm trying to cut whatever corners I can art wise to save money.
If you give up on making a webcomic altogether, you save both time and money.