This was recently brought up in a conversation and it brought back some powerful memories...

This was recently brought up in a conversation and it brought back some powerful memories. My parents got this movie for me when I was around five and it scared the absolute shit out of me. However based on my memory is it the true best film adaption of the Hobbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/new/Hobbit-Accused-Racism-Peter-Jackson-Forced-Hire-Multi-Cultural-Hobbits-21915.html
theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/11/in-middle-earth-must-all-hobbits-be-white/343239/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's certainly better than the Jackson trilogy. How many adaptations of The Hobbit are there, anyway?

It is unironically the best adaptation of the Hobbit. In large part because it was aimed at the same age group that the source material was aimed at, so it was able to capture the spirit of the book perfectly.

FIFTEEN BIRDS

IN FIVE FIR TREES

Wow dude we must be close in age because the instant I saw the OP pic I remembered the troll's throat scene and how fucking terrified my sister and I were of that.

Basically they're in the troll cave, the trolls are singing about how they're going to eat the dwarves, and then the camera zooms way in like you're being eaten alive. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't develop a vote fetish out of it.

Never seen it, but for realsies? I (as well as a bunch of other fags on RT) would consider the Jackson trilogy to be really well done

It's super rushed. When the Jackson films were announced as being two movies I thought that sounded like the perfect amount for the story. Then they screwed up and tried to stretch it to three.

All of fucking this

I had the exact same feeling.

Then they screwed it up even more by making those three films awful.

It's definitely the best of what exists: there's this, a 1985 live action soviet version, a 1993 swedish live action TV show, and the Peter Jackson trilogy.

FUN FACTS

>The film was produced and directed by Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass of Rankin/Bass Productions and was adapted for the screen by Romeo Muller, with Rankin taking on the additional duties of production designer. When interviewed for the film, Rankin declared that he would add nothing to the story that wasn't in the original. The New York Times reported that The Hobbit cost $3 million.

>The story's hero, Bilbo Baggins, is voiced by Orson Bean, backed up by noted Hollywood director and actor John Huston as the voice of Gandalf. In supporting roles, the comedian and performance artist Brother Theodore was chosen for the voice of Gollum, and Thurl Ravenscroft performed the baritone singing voices of the goblins. The gravelly voice of the dragon Smaug was provided by Richard Boone, with Hans Conried as Thorin Oakensheild, rounding out the cast of primarily American voice actors.

>The Hobbit was animated by Topcraft, a now-defunct Japanese animation studio whose animation team would re-form as Studio Ghibli under Hayao Miyazaki. Topcraft successfully partnered with Rankin/Bass on several other co-productions, including The Last Unicorn. According to Rankin, the visual style of the film took its basic cue from the early illustrations of Arthur Rackham.

>While Topcraft produced the animation, the concept artwork was completed in the US under the direction of Arthur Rankin.[2] Principal artists included coordinating animator Toru Hara; supervising animator/character designer Tsuguyuki Kubo; character and effects animators Hidetoshi Kaneko and Kazuko Ito; and background designer Minoru Nishida. The same studio and crew members were also used for The Return of the King.

>I (as well as a bunch of other fags on RT) would consider the Jackson trilogy to be really well done

And you'd be wrong for doing so.

>When the Jackson films were announced as being two movies
Del Toro's films.

>Never seen it, but for realsies? I (as well as a bunch of other fags on RT) would consider the Jackson trilogy to be really well done

Granted there is a certain subset of people that won't enjoy it. However if you were looking for something that captured the spirit of what tolkien wrote so completely, you'd be very hard pressed to find a better film.

has lots of shit added by him that are horrible and the cast is shit, also in the first movie you can see he doesn't know what is doing >a musical number , and lots of PoC just for pandering commies

Holy fuck! I get 88

So we can all agree, Jackson for LotR, Rankin/Bass for Hobbit, right?

>a musical number
Do you mean the singing dwarves at Bilbo's house or am I forgetting something else, because that dwarf song was in the book and the animated feature too.

I was talking about the goblin scene in the Misty Mountains

They were literally in the background, so blacks didnt trigger me. However there was too much shit added

Having watched through Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts with the family over the past couple of weeks, I'm planning to watch those next. I figure RB Hobbit is much more worthwhile than the drawn-out trilogy nonsense.

The 2015 fan cut of the Hobbit is pretty great. Cuts out all the bullshit and flows really well. The only jarring bit is Smaug being covered in gold when he busts out of the mountain that they couldn't edit out.

It would be nice if there was a proper official cut like that down the road.

The Hobbit: Retracted Cut when?

2 films would have been perfect, I even loved the first movie to bits, despite some added parts. Then he had to ram in a ton of extra stupid shit like dumbass love triangles with his new lady character despite promising the actress he wouldn't.

>However based on my memory is it the true best film adaption of the Hobbit?

It is. It's great. It's one hundred times better than the movies.

>would consider the Jackson trilogy to be really well done

what the fuck

I can't watch it because it's so ugly as shit

>and lots of PoC just for pandering commies

It wasn't pandering, he was literally forced into casting some PoC. They did a casting call for hobbits and said they had to be white Europeans, a Pakistani girl showed up deliberately and when told Hobbits were white made a huge ruckus ran to the media and basically called Jackson a Nazi and threatened a human rights complaint. Jackson ended up having to fire the poor casting director and claimed he "never gave instructions that hobbits could only be white" then hired a bunch of PoC as extras as an apology to prove he wasn't racist.

>cinemablend.com/new/Hobbit-Accused-Racism-Peter-Jackson-Forced-Hire-Multi-Cultural-Hobbits-21915.html

>theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/11/in-middle-earth-must-all-hobbits-be-white/343239/

Honestly, I don't think it should fucking matter with this shit. Like, just have a totally open casting call, who fucking cares if some hobbits have darker skin colours or some shit. You're just asking for people to wreck you if you hold a whites only background character casting call in a fantasy movie.

The goblin song is in the book. The Hobbit book actually had a few songs in it. The stuff that was changed for the worse was thanks to the studio. If you are into punishment you can listen to the commentary of the hobbit films which are roughly a 9hr track of Jackson apologizing and explaining why things sucked. Namely being his budget was slashed multiple times through production, and the studio kept making him reshoot whole new segments without giving him extra budget to work with. Legolas being in the 2nd film was studio melding. The film was already done and they told Jackson that they had to add Legolas into it, and add a romance between the dwarf and female elf. Even the scene with the black arrow in the 3rd film was changed to a giant ballista bolt instead of an arrow because it didn't make sense to the studio that a black arrow would work better than anything more powerful than a longbow.

I actually felt bad for Jackson over this, you can tell from his somber tone that he had any enjoyment sucked from him in this compared to him working on LOTR.

>who fucking cares if some hobbits have darker skin colours or some shit

It's lore so yeah people will care. It would be like casting Roots, but allowing any race to any role. White Kunta Kinte being beaten by a Japanese man with a southern accent wouldn't work.

love this movie as a kid, my first exposure to tolkien and its been a favorite ever since.

also its a huge influence on the style of the first legend of zelda, though they've gone far away from it since. read the old nes manual and look at the little diminutive link and the moblins design in that game compared to the goblins from this film.