Shittiest military acquisition of our lifetimes?

Shittiest military acquisition of our lifetimes?

Other urls found in this thread:

lockheedmartin.com/us/products/lrlap.html
youtube.com/watch?v=VXyH1OYuyIw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It will only get cheaper. But how can each round cost 800k? Smells like fruad/embezzlement to me.

>American Engineering

You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?

I got to see that fucker up close and personal when it was docked in Newport several weeks back. Hell of a lot bigger than I imagined it to be, and it has the radar cross-section of a 50ft boat (supposedly).
The Navy wastes a hell of a lot of money on dumb shit thats "advanced" but doesn't work. Look at the Littoral Combat Shits. Would you feel safe in an aluminum boat? lol

WHAT IS THE F35?

the US military complex is a serious fucking meme

Damn, I was actually exited to see those rail guns in action

>Advanced Precision Kill Weapons
>80 mile range

it would make more sense to launch them from satellites.

>$800,000 a shot
>not paying the extra $200,000 to hire The Man With The Golden Gun

Naval Officer here, why am I not fucking surprised?

Too bad though, I like the tumblehome design and the stealth aspect.

Yeah, let's make the projectiles a thousand times more expensive.

Spend money developing a rocket assist, base bleed guided artillery shell, plan to share that development cost over a 28 ship armament load.
What do you think happens when the navy cuts it's order to just enough rounds for 3?

At least this wasn't the retarded railgun system that solves exactly zero problems and is outperformed by 50 year old guns in every measure.

>e tumblehome design

And they can probably be neutralized by some $300 russian quadcopter with a electromagnet.

US Military in a nutshell

It's a "destroyer" but it's over 15,000 tons. About as much as a heavy cruiser from WW2

Rounds in question...

>lockheedmartin.com/us/products/lrlap.html

>stealth

but i can see it?

Yes it's a sonar dome.

Words stopped meaning things a long time ago, despite what chief may tell you.

>fruad/embezzlement

In military acquisitions? no way.

Just for you mate.

Anything that they try to replace the A-10 with that isn't also a giant flying gun with a tank built around it.

It's the goyim discount, a markup of 5000%

the Zumwalt is up there with the F-35 and Ford Carriers. At least they cut their losses and cancelled it after the two they built turned into disasters

Thanks, Obama

Just fucking finish devving rail guns.

>BGM-109 Tomahawks cost $1.5m a pice.
>$800k per round is too much.

correction, Those arent railguns on the Zumwalt, just some super hi-tech conventional gun. HOWEVER, and especially with this development the Railguns may be fitted to the third ship in the class, the USS Lyndon B Johnson

I hope I can buy an A-10 when the idiots prevail and the airframe is retired.

>durrr it still works and accomplishes the mission better than anything we can think of but it's been around too long we need to make something new!

The only thing it has destroyed is the US' wallet

I hope the crew it with nothing but niggers.

This is the railgun! A major advantage was the cheap ammo - it fires massive metal slugs.
How in the fuck can a metal slug cost $800,000? Is it made out of mithril!?

The whole point of ballistic munitions is that they're cheap and do a lot of damage, the downside is they have short range.

Tomahawks have shitloads of range and do a lot of damage, but they're very expensive.

Two of these ballistic rounds are not going to do more damage than a Tomahawk to the point where you're willing to spend the same amount on both.

800K for a 155mm arty round is a bit much.

tomahawk does more damage and is more precise

modern military tech is mostly the cost of development, outdated military tech is cheap as hell.

I get the feeling a lot of Pentagon spending is skimmed.

The cost of some of these projects is just goliath.

Hopefully Trump will put the whip down a bit and demand better value for the dollar

No, it is indeed the railgun. Which is, technically, a very advanced mass driver ("conventional" ballistic.)
The missiles are separate.

Do you even F-35, bro?

But yeah, this ship was probably a waste of money. I didn't follow the weapons development much but I would *guess* this system was to replace the railgun, which is now only going onto the third hull. The price per round puts it in the same neighborhood as a Tomahawk missile which has the same mission and greater range.

San Antonio, LCS program, DDG-1000, Ford class, F-35. We have never spent so much and have so little to show for it.

alloyed with democracy

Made me kek.

And then Iran comes along and reminds you that Mass Assault doctrine trumps Silver Bullet doctrine.

Wrong reply.

>BGM-109 Tomahawks cost $1.5m a pice.
Tomahawks also have 10 times the range and can deliver a much larger warhead. Essentially this thing is too expensive, inferior to existing weapons and virtually obsolete in some of the roles that it's supposed to do. That's what happens when you take a bad idea and then try to use it for stuff it wasn't originally designed to do.

>This is the railgun!
No, this one is the shitty assisted guidance round that basically has no useful purpose in contemporary warfare.

youtube.com/watch?v=VXyH1OYuyIw

no, click on the "advanced gun system" and it says nothing about it being a railgun. And also mentions how it features separate propellant and projectile cartridges. Railguns dont have propellant.

What's stopping the USN from retrofitting railguns on the #1 and #2?

Honestly? Probably contracts with contractors that nobody else is allowed to work on that system and oops there's no time in the shipyard schedule to get that 18 month job done.

But it looks cool.

Most likely #3 was made specifically for the railgun and #1 and #2 can't support it, because everything has to use different stuff. I mean is it that hard to create a new ammo that doesn't cost 800k?

Too expensive and too advanced for Americans.

No, the Whisper submarine looks cool. That looks like shit.