How does LAIKA studios continue to exist when all but one of their movies are box office failures?

How does LAIKA studios continue to exist when all but one of their movies are box office failures?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_wgz45bF8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because Laika isn't a business. It's a passion project of a guy whose dad owns Nike. They literally don't give a shit about making money beause they already make billions. He cares about the craft.
He's the Elon Musk of animation.

Nike money

By not using their own money.

Man, real life sucks so bad, sure capitalisms an anarchronism or oxymoron or conflict of concept or whatever but at least it allows for a context of values. What a disappointment to connect the nepotistic dots of power, gah.

i wish...

Gross. One of the important stimulants of entertainment is the need to put food on the table. Just giving someone the means to make whatever bollocks they want is to spit in the face of art through adversity and give and take.

im here for you user

>the chairman of Laika's dad is the founder and chairman of Nike

I thought you were joking. Oh, if only to be born the child of an influential businessman and wipe my delicate shitter with Benjamins.

Adversity is a meme. Art is born through passion. Adversity CAN induce that passion, but it usually doesn't. We only hear about the rare cases that it does because it makes for a good underdog story. More often, passion simply comes from a lifetime of interest and dedication, regardless of where the money comes from.

>movie is about a young girl longing for more caring parents
>has le dreamworks face and le smug adventure pose on the cover
Reee

This guy gets it.

If your main reason to create art is a need for money, then your work will suffer once you get enough money. You'll get lazy.

But passion will keep you going if your bank account has one dollar in it or one million.

Or in other words, if you make art to make money, you're a tradesman. If you make money to make art, you're an artist.

Basically you have to work a shitty day job and these people can do whatever they want, so you're pissed off?

Jesus Christ.

>Countless Anons lament that if they had a million billion gazillion dollars they'd fund all the passion projects they could
>Someone actually has the means to do so and gets shat on for it

Good ol' Sup Forums.

>gets shat on for it
What, by me? Nah, I'm envious to be sure, but I don't shit on Laika or its founder, just lament that I wasn't born to wealthy parents.

The Benjamin arse-wiping is just a funny image that came to my mind.

>One of the important stimulants of entertainment is the need to put food on the table.
No, that's why we get low-quality animated sequels constantly. Studios would rather dish out low-quality sequels guaranteed to make them money to "put food on the table" rather than risk it by making something new and unique.

Entertainment's purpose is to entertain and educate. It doesn't matter how it gets there.

Its how shit like mother! comes to exist. You cant just give some asshole money to throw shit onscreen. Its inportant for their to be a process in where ideas are mulled over by others. Its how the best mix of entertainment and accessability come to be.

It does matter because if you dont have to worry about making money then you dont have to worry about educating or entertaining.

Just because some anons lament not being products of nepotism doesnt mean all of them do.

That's cool. Can you storyboard my interactivetelevisionseriesproprosal? It's ok if nah.

Neither of these points are accurate because the entertainment imdustry doesn't conform to reason being such a close relationship to all humanity.

if you pay me living wages yes

Art is gay, entertainment is suppossed to entertain. Get out of here with that shit faggot

Thank god he has good taste then.

The bastard's living the dream of creating whatever movie he wants to see, all in glorious stop motion. It's like a kid's dream of becoming a video game creator, but with none of the hassle of dealing with money or having to please the demographics or emotionless robots of the marketing division. He just makes movies that he wants to see, and thankfully they're damn good movies.

If they're good movies, then why doesn't anyone watch them?

They don't advertise their movies much

Because good movies only appeal to a select few people. Mediocre movies are the ones that make money.

That seems unwise.

That's a pretentious statement.

man I just wish he was more into traditional 2d animation than stop motion

It's an incorrect statement. Niche movies appeal to a select few people.

The dude who owns the studio might have the money to get the films made, but major studio backing is still needed to actually advertise them, unfortunately.

fuck off back to your illumination minions shit pleb

I wish he also cared about the writing.

Oh stop pretending like drawing and stuff has a relationship with labor rights struggle. You're an artist and a crafts person if you needed money you could just craft it. As an artist you own the means of production, I'm just asking for access to the layer of society that you as a person with functional hands get to access for free just from being born to the bloodline.
2 things, 1 this thread is OPed with stories of a rich person being artistically enfranchised not about children's movie market facts; I read somewhere that children's programming almost always turns a profit at the DVD level.
2. (Nearly) every single success story I've ever heard of starts with not a Krahulik/Wozz asking a Jobs/Fahueler for base pay but friends doing what they enjoy making stuff for themselves or their own demographic
Bonus Point (3:) The proposal I'd like to produce would be proposed to market that would almost immediately reward you with donations and promotion, you couldn't ask for a better scenario for yourself
Superfluous Point (4:) i forgot but so many stories suck that new stuff these days barely comes with a story anymore big fish small pond = US
Let's do this!

Bad movies like minions and emoji movie have connections to advertise to death their garbage for a long period or time , I guess people at Laika just arent into doing that
They do get some features on CN or nickelodeon thou

adversity means nothing to "the industry"
you can have studios like Pixar where they try to make a film that is what they want to do, but at the same time a film that is marketable
but then you have studios like Bluesky, and Illumination that make movies that reek of focus group testing

Disney Animation and Dreamworks are about 50/50 when it comes to these two concepts

Its nice to see that a studio like Laika exists where they make what they want to, no money involved

>One of the important stimulants of entertainment is the need to put food on the table.

>I don't need money so I don't want to educate or entertain
user, you're fucking stupid.

>sure capitalisms an anarchronism or oxymoron or conflict of concept
How do you manage to remember to breathe when you're this stupid?

A valid point. I'm this case I'd say that having an income that isn't dependant on the box office frees Laika from catering to the broadest audience possible and making a bland film.

Haven't seen Paranorman, but Coraline, Boxtrolls, and Kubo were all great. I'm glad they're around and putting out quality entertainment, regardless of its financial success.

I forget sometimes but I'm such a good story teller that it doesn't matter.

While having some quality 2D movies would be nice, Laika is really good with their stop motion and there's still plenty of 2D entertainment, so it's great to have it. Much better than CGI bullshit.

Europe is probably where one should look towards for modern 2D.

Hasbro

You need to sell somehow.
If I remember correctly, Coraline's trailers got some backlash for being "too childish" by people who hadn't read the book, who constituted the majority.

Lowest common denominator, m8

It's math

only France though, the rest of europe is producing the same shitty looking CGI movies like the US

Speaking in the long-term, especially now in the age of digital downloads, wouldn't every movie eventually make a profit? The point is to make as big a profit as it possible and as fast as possible.

I had originally typed out France, but wanted to give the rest of Europe the benefit of the doubt so I changed it. But yea, most European 2D stuff comes out of France.

I hate to bring up the "appealing to the lowest common denominator" argument, but I think it applies to this situation.

Most entertainment creation, hell most things period, are driven by the need for food, shelter, sex and water. we do things to get things. If you're just given things than you never have to work to find a balance between ones desires and the desires of others. It's the difference between someone who had to work to get whatever they want and someone who is just given whatever they want.

Please, Lakia makes the most unique and mature animated films in the west and that's because they don't have to appeal to jewish overlords who demand Frozen/Minion clones.

>implying Elon Musk actually cares about his craft
He doesn't; he's an opportunistic capitalist fucboi who saw a market that was going to be big in a few years (what with everybody trying to move away from gas and all) and got a jump start on it. If you think he actually gives a shit about anything other than the billions he's making, then boy are you one heck of a faggot that needs to go back. It's first and foremost always about the money for people like him, so stop sucking his cock - the only faggot a thread needs is the OP.

SHAME

Once upon a time there was a really awesome story that was somehow very marketable. This story appeared on the type pad of a iPad owned by ME and then a wonderful artist decided to break free of the obviously unrealistic expectation of payment for proposal production. This wonderful artist then got blacklisted from failure and found they couldn't get rejected no matter where they sent their portfolio. And there was much rejoicing. And the writer was abducted by Old Testament wheels within wheels got married to a half elf norwiegen maiden and got over his gluten allergy. The End... for now.

>implying kubo didn't have good writing
>implying the same isn't also true of coraline and paranorman

didnt watch boxtrolls so cant comment

Being unique doesn't automatically make something good. Making a car shaped like a triangle would be unique but there's a reason we don't do that. Traditional story structures exist because they work. Now the opposite is also true, being traditional doesn;t automatically make something good, but I don't tend to see too many high-brow people promoting the virtues and a solid 3 act structure as much as I see people promoting an impractical and rare animation style.

Are you implying that stop animation doesn't require work?

I'd like to think that Laika movies are original and they sort of are except outcast wins over and over. What stories have Biff Tannen types winning? Besides the Biff comic and life?

why?

The employees get paid. This isn't some studio fucking over animators because they're bad at marketing. This is still a very well-run studio with a lot of perks for the employees with the bonus that they don't NEED to care about box office. They still make money afterwards, too. The movies are often number one for awhile when they're released on Netflix.

Food is put on the table, it's just usually done via Nike shoes money rather than direct income from the movies themselves. As long as one of the companies is making money, the employees of the other will get paid. It still balances out.

Not that user, but as someone who really enjoys Laika's films, I have to say that their writing is always limping in some way.
Kubo had some great localization and a pretty solid story about family, but it's all very by the numbers when it comes to adventure plots.
Paranorman has a beautifully executed plot twist that leads to one of their best stories yet, but I found all of Paranorman's story till the third act to be pretty lacking.
Coraline... well. That movie has the best writing of them all (haven't seen Boxtrolls either), but it is based on an already existing novel, which takes some credit away from Laika's writing staff. And while the modifications they made to the story were pretty well executed and the general pacing is mostly flawless, it's an adaptation of an already existing story.

It requires work but not as much work as having to pitch your concept to others and get them on board and then make a stop motion animated films

>got over his gluten allergy

bread is shit though.

Bread isn't poo unless you digest it. But thanks for the (You)

That's true. However, I don't think that the fight to get your movie going will have that much impact in its quality compared to the passion, skill and talent of the crew behind the project.

I think it can. It can help to fix any story or production issues that someone who is too close to a project can't see.

so funneh! xD

really though, you don't need bread or grains. not a normal part of our diet. you've been meme'd by the government.

>It requires work but not as much work as having to pitch your concept to others

Just please stop talking.

The definition of "fixing" for a table of executives can be very different from the creator.
"Dumb it down", "Make it more approachable", "we need an animal sidekick" are the typical "repairs" they like to apply.
I think the benefits of a creator unleashing their vision without being constricted by the fear of not being popular is so rare that it must be protected.

He literally operates Spacex on a loss because he's passionate about space travel, dipshit.

Everything about this post is fucking horrible and I sincerely hope that you're a troll.

>"the means to make whatever bollocks they want"
Kubo and Coraline aren't "bollocks", you twat. They're the most unique, ambitious, and visually interesting animation projects to come out of the west since Fleischer's work on Superman.

>"art through adversity give and take"
Artists freed from artificial pressures have the opportunity to follow through on their vision. Neck yourself.

kys faggot

>Artists freed from artificial pressures have the opportunity to follow through on their vision. Neck yourself.

Alright, George Lucas.

>>X-D
Why, thank you.

>One of the important stimulants of entertainment is the need to put food on the table

Said nobody the fuck ever. You're fucking delusional.

t. Dobson

>brainlet poster telling anyone to kill themselves
I know it's you, fag. at least use different filenames instead of random numbers

>bollocks

Spotted the filthy britfag. Enjoying your hilariously stagnant film and television industry? It "puts food on the table," does it not?

Produce my story!
Well I wouldn't say that, unless I was lying *rimshot* m.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_wgz45bF8

OBSESSED

YO! LOOK HOW I UNIFIED THESE THEMES
BY ACCIDENT
Honestly!
This story I have has got to find a few software engineers, animators, voice actors, and maybe a costume designer or five.
Eating AND demanding something be given over with out a fight BOTH wow.

There's always Ireland

Whoops wrong video
Anyway
>moneyPower Respect Bet You're Eating Right

I don't know if Lil Kim counts as creative, I heard Biggie wrote all her stuff.

/fit/ pls go, no one cares about your bizarre bread phobia

Don't they have a new project coming out at some point? About how all the wolves died out in Ireland or whatever.

Because they don't have Disney/Dreamworks/Illumination's name attached.

Norman and Eggs are the cutest. Kubo is okay if you like girls.

>99999

Oh baby.

Equality
Love
Sup Forums

My biggest problem is why any of Laika's movies didn't make as much money as it is. Hell I enjoyed Kubo, but compare to the other Laika movies it made less

How will it succeed and make more money?

Illumination only became a major player in the last 5 or so years. They were non-name util they weren't. If they could do it, why not LAIKA?

No one asked for that weaboo shit.

Understanding
Consideration
Image forum

This is a person who worked on the Emoji Movie isn't it?

It's hard to make money when you're making a product no one asked for. If Tim Burton with Corpse Bride and Frankeenweenie couldn't be successful with stop motion, nothing will be.