Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #10 storytime

Other urls found in this thread:

news.marvel.com/comics/78637/study-scarlet-ben-reilly-scarlet-spider-sketchbook/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks OP.

You're welcome.

Why is cloning mostly a Spidey thing?
I know it's not exclusive to him, but with other heroes you're most likely to get an alternate version of themselves from the future or an alternate reality than simply a clone.

Try Wolverine where X-23 has her own clone and said clone's supposed to be joining an X-team with her now.

Thanks for reading. I'll post the preview inks for the next issue that were shown a few weeks ago.

So, this book:
>quickly loses steam and word of mouth because Ben is an irredeemable piece of shit and you'd think when they bother to bring someone from 20 years absence they'd know his established fans want something familiar
>PAD backtracks a tad and makes Ben act like his actual self. Sales even go up for that issue
>Did you guys enjoy these last three issues with Ben acting like the character you know? NICE, here's him being an edgelord and getting his face ruined - again!

>edgelord
You should stop using words you don't know.

It's probably just a slip-up to motivate Ben to work even harder to save his soul.

Who's the artist? That can't be Sliney.

André Araújo.

news.marvel.com/comics/78637/study-scarlet-ben-reilly-scarlet-spider-sketchbook/

His stuff looks good. Hopefully he stays on for a long time.

Sorry sir, how else would you describe him pretty much breaking this guy's face going URGHHH ALL YOU J.J.JAMESONS OF THE WORLD MAKE ME SO MAD?

>Still brown hair, not blond
>when he was supposed to dye them 2 issues ago by the script

meant this one

It's an emotional outburst by someone getting the run around by a condescending prick that blatantly states he'd put children in danger to get back at someone.

And edgelords aren't known for outbursts at all, right?

Seriously, Thorne is a piece of shit, but Ben doing this and just going THIS WAS A GOOD DAY is already erring back on the side of him being an asshole.

Yeah, I'm getting the impression this is basically Death letting know her deal has strings and anytime he goofs up like this the scars will come back.

So who is this kid?

>And edgelords aren't known for outbursts at all, right?
Peter dislocated the jaw, ruptured the eardum and broke the collarbone of the Sin-Eater by accident. He also has ripped two people's faces up. Would you consider him an edgelord?
>is already erring back on the side of him being an asshole.
Because he still is an asshole even though he's trying to be better person.

Mysterio has a daughter?

Named "Misty"?

granny lolicon

For those occasions? Yes. Sin-Eater especially, since I've read that specific issue and while I also agree Sin-Eater is a piece of shit Peter quickly snapped to it and said "holy fucking shit, I overdid it".

And in one case Peter did that to Norman fucking Osborn. The asshole fucking murdered his daughter. The other was Kraven's latest cumdump and she flatout was killing a bunch of people already.

Thorne's an absolute asshole but Ben could've stopped his beating not even halfway and his point'd have been made. He kept pummeling a non-powered opponent to the point of cracking the walls behind him.

Isn't Araujo the infamous mango silencer guy

This book has nothing going for it. Kaine is the better violent edgelord parker brother and he's actually likable, grumpy, and while willing to be brutal is actually a softie deep down. He also has an actually interesting sidekick to bring out the lighter side of his personality and move the plot besides this stupid fixation with cassandra mercury and her dumb kid.

Deadpool has a better mentally unstable relationship with death than this shit they're trying to pull with Ben making consecutive clones somehow share the same soul

Now secret empire has its dirty fingers in this and it's just all sorts of a mess

Secret Empire has little to do with it overall though. As a matter of fact the scenery is at least neat to look at in that Fist of the North Star/Mad Max way.

And Ben edging back towards his nice self was already a great hook, and they had me onboard from that issue. Kaine being a supporting character also helped and I'll say his absence is already being felt in these issues.

Keep in mind I'm the guy who thinks PAD is just being too ambivalent with his portrayal of Ben and that he just went way too far with Thorne here. I like the book overall but I have my fair share of grievances with it.

>Sin-Eater especially, since I've read that specific issue and while I also agree Sin-Eater is a piece of shit Peter quickly snapped to it and said "holy fucking shit, I overdid it".
No he didn't. He gave zero fucks and even almost let him get beat to death by the mob. He didn't express any regret until after they saw each other again. And even then he tried to stifle those feelings by trying to pretend Sin-Eater had some ploy of trying to make Peter pity him.
>He kept pummeling a non-powered opponent to the point of cracking the walls behind him.
Because both him and Peter are human beings with emotional reactions and have hang ups about things that cause them to flip out.
>Ben could've stopped his beating not even halfway and his point'd have been made.
He did it to make a point and because he felt like it user. It was as much for himself as it was to prevent a different situation. Because he's a shitheel and Ben isn't far along enough in this character arc to stop and care about how the guy he's beating up is doing. He still has his narrowminded view of things, but I have no doubt that'll change.

Unpopular opinion, I liked Kane better

Of course Kaine was better than edgy fake Ben

That's not even an unpopular opinion

>Because both him and Peter are human beings with emotional reactions and have hang ups about things that cause them to flip out.
Yeah, but in all these cases these guys were very, rather direct threats. My issue with Ben doing this is exactly how far he took and how he likened it to JJJ, because it rather made him sound like if someone had gotten on his case he'd go to town on them and Thorne just drew the lucky ticket.

I get that PAD's doing it for a reason and that it really seems like this is part of the deal with Death, but it reads awful to have Ben rekindle his heroism to the point he'd rather have himself killed so Kaine, who was trying to kill him ever since the monthly started, live, so he really flips out so bad in a non-combatant.

How is this run so far anons? I really liked the Kaine run a couple years ago and am thinking about getting into this. Do I have to read Clone Conspiracy first or is it skippable

Uneven so far. There are some gems in it like issue 7, and PAD seems to be playing ball with Ben's slottening that he'll behave just as crazy as the plot dictates, but it seems he's trying to realign him to the Ben we knew, slowly but painfully.

Kaine's also in it and if you think Ben's being too much of a piece of shit he tends to even things out. I'd say you don't need to read Clone Conspiracy, you just need to know Ben tried to have a clone scheme to replace people as a way of giving people hope. It backfired. Kaine wants him dead, and Ben's on the run.

Death probably fucked his face back up because he is becoming crazy murderous asshole again.

I guess DP is yesterday's news

Alright I'll give it a try, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to bad writing at times as long as it's the exception not rule. Thanks user

Yeah I rather read another Scarlet Spider run by Yost.

>but it reads awful to have Ben rekindle his heroism to the point he'd rather have himself killed so Kaine, who was trying to kill him ever since the monthly started, live, so he really flips out so bad in a non-combatant.
Because Kaine is his brother. And the non-combatant put thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives at risk with his stunt of stealing food during a disaster situation, all so he could get back at someone.

>Posting pics in a story time

Getting sick of seeing this.

The food wasn't going to disappear, though - he explicitely told Hornet to give it to people - and Cassandra isn't a samaritan either. As far as stakes go, it seemed he wanted to hijack the food so people went to his place instead.

And yes, I'm more than glad to have seen Ben call Kaine his brother again after Clone Conspiracy #5 and PAD literally saying "there's no love lost between them", but that's where the issue with the characterization already derives: if Ben's already edging so much towards his old self then to see him give a beatdown that can really be likened to Sin Eater in brutality (especially since they're both PAD works) because this asshole made a joke about a dying child and just think it's gravy is bad form.

Why is she such a slut?

The opening of Kaine's run is him savagely eviscerating a Mexico based human trafficking ring after he finds Araceley barely alive in a shipping container full of heatstroked dead bodies.

This is the moral high point and basis of the story since it marks Kaine choosing to take responsibility and be a hero rather than go "none of my business" and just take their money to retire on a beach somewhere. Brutally assaulting dozens of grown men and savaging them within an inch of their lives is portrayed as the RIGHT thing to do, and later in the series when Kaine feels the need to kill his lethal force is not derided or mocked but seen as a necessary act to stop serious threats from coming back. Nobody called him a villain when he Other-ed out and one shot the patriarch of the Inheritors in order to save every spider-totem across all realities, or when he and wokverine eviscerated a shitload of ninja assassins

The moral highpoint of Kaine's run is being told to us here as a failing and negative in Ben's, because apparently dispensing outlaw justice in a failed anarcho-state following the friendly fire bombing of your own country's city is somehow evil and bad, because reasons.

If this were Yost's run, Kaine would have kneecapped the fucker mid sentence and walked away on a good day, and on a bad one he would straight up snap his fucking neck for daring to threaten innocent children for petty reasons while a city suffers around them. And you know what? He'd be perfectly justified in doing so.

Why on god's green earth Ben is being forced into a no-kill rule when ten minutes ago he resurrected and then re-murdered a shitton of people, tried to murder Peter for declining zombie uncle Ben, I have no fucking clue. But I miss the grumpy, does-what-must-be-done, heart of gold Scarlet Spider and his Aztec war god sidekick more and more with every issue of this book

Because Death comes for everyone.

It might be Death weaseling her way back into Ben's life, this time in secret, so that she can monitor him.

Kaine Scarlet Spider was too good, and Yost is a underrated Spider-Man writer, IMO. His Superior Team Up was head and shoulders better than the main book at tackling the themes Slott was trying to deal with.

And apparently she wants everyone to cum for death.

>Why on god's green earth Ben is being forced into a no-kill rule when ten minutes ago he resurrected and then re-murdered a shitton of people, tried to murder Peter for declining zombie uncle Ben, I have no fucking clue
'cuz he's fucking Ben Reilly.

He was the guy who basically was as worthy as Peter Parker times two because he had the strength to recognize he doesn't deserve Peter's life even if he has the same memories and wouldn't ever hijack it. If we're talking about "any of us" in that situation or Kaine, that's fine - especially Kaine, that's who he is.

Ben's place was solidified as someone just as noble as Peter who does his damndest not to cross the same lines he wouldn't, and him being so selfless he's willing to let himself die so Kaine can live is a return to that Ben. So on the overall it just feels like it's flippant and more plot-dictated than being consistent in his characterization.

did scumsters at Marvel really slap a part 1 on the third issue of the story-arc?

>if Ben's already edging so much towards his old self then to see him give a beatdown that can really be likened to Sin Eater in brutality (especially since they're both PAD works) because this asshole made a joke about a dying child and just think it's gravy is bad form
He's nowhere close to edging back to his old self. That's a while away and it sure as shit shows. You can fuck up trying to be a good person user and still be worth giving a second chance. That's a theme almost always present in PAD's works. Not to mention that sacrificing yourself for someone is much easier for characters than not hating and beating people you find despicable half to death.

>He's nowhere close to edging back to his old self.
If he wasn't, he wouldn't have wanted to die in Kaine's place. That was also something very present in the first issues in this comic, too, that Ben just wanted to survive.

They basically did a 180º on Ben-27 on the same issue they established he is not a Ben-27 but that very same Ben.

This is Kaine using a stealth suit to go Sam Fisher meets the punisher on a bunch of tech ninja assassins. He is unambiguously the good guy in this story where he teams up with Professor Wolverine from the Xavier institute to put a stop to a dangerous supervillain.

But beating up a glorified gangbanger is somehow crossing the line.

wasnt she still dead and her parents had tried to hire ricochet to find her during that losers team thing?

>If he wasn't, he wouldn't have wanted to die in Kaine's place. That was also something very present in the first issues in this comic, too, that Ben just wanted to survive.
Yes he would have. He still feels a need and obligation to protect his brother. That is immutable. You can want to live but be willing to die for someone if that means he can live.

>That is immutable.
Sure didn't seem like it in Clone Conspiracy when he threw him out the window and said he needed to stay dead for good.

Big Based Ben

>Sure didn't seem like it in Clone Conspiracy when he threw him out the window and said he needed to stay dead for good.
>Clone Conspiracy
Slott is fucking retarded who knew.

Indeed he is but PAD was playing ball with what Slott retarded out during that event, so unfortunately it spills out to his own stuff too.

>I can't believe he beat the crap out of me after I threatened women and children! Can you believe that guy? Geez, he's no hero I'll tell you that!

should have killed this guy tbqh

god I hate this 3d poser shit

So, will he finally be blond here?

and this is death using her Skull illusion only to fuck with him to keep him in line

also
>is Kaine Dead or he's hanging with the veterans yet

maybe because clones fucked with spider-man lore the most or at least more negatively than any other.
as another user said wolverine did alright despite having clones and clones of clones

hot
glad we are finally getting an actual artist
i kinda like it the issues with kaine are pretty strong but i can't ignore how lame some of the supporting characters are white cage and grumpy may are not that interesting to me, the setting is pretty alright now that vegas is half destroyed but i doubt it will ever get any play outside of what you see from this issue

Well, to be fair, Kaine's face is still fucked up right now. He even raged and ranted about how Ben's face got fixed but not his.