Why doesn’t this romance work?

I’m not even trying to meme. I legit spent a couple mins wondering why I don’t like these two together.

Is it because of the lack of chemistry? Is it because they literally have no reason to like each other?

A good romance is between two people. not a person and a piece of cardboard.

It's because Superman is shit.

Snyder can't direct characters, just setpieces.

#1: Lois is a bitch and their romance almost never works in any medium.

#2: Henry Cavill is a terrible actor in the way of the numerous buff but uncharismatic white bread clowns that Hollywood has been pushing on us since the late 00s (Jai Courtney, Charlie Hunnam, Liam Hemsworth)

#3: Amy Adams is a good, if overrated actress but not nearly good enough to make a romance with Henry convincing in the slightest.

#4: Bad writing..

Lois is a flat character and has been Mary sued to eleven. If she was created recently, people would be complaining non stop about her being a Mary sue. She's a cliche stronk brave womyn.

>Is it because they literally have no reason to like each other?

It's exactly this. Not only that, they're given absolutely nothing to do together. They peaked in entertainment value and chemistry early in Man of Steel, and even that arc was terribly broken up by flashbacks. They don't rely on each other for anything, or have any reason to see one another's virtues, let alone attractive qualities or even common interests.

Because Lois is constantly kicking Clark in the balls, while Lois acts like a roaster and dates some scumbag like Luthor or someone else.
Out of the dumb things Zack did, having Lois know that Clark is superman is not one of them.

>#1: Lois is a bitch and their romance almost never works in any medium.
Worked in Lois and Clark, the Silver Age, All-Star, Super Sons, and the Reeve movies.

>#2: Henry Cavill is a terrible actor in the way of the numerous buff but uncharismatic white bread clowns that Hollywood has been pushing on us since the late 00s (Jai Courtney, Charlie Hunnam, Liam Hemsworth)
Agreed. The guy's worse than Brandon Routh by a mile.

>#3: Amy Adams is a good, if overrated actress but not nearly good enough to make a romance with Henry convincing in the slightest.
I disagree. I think she's terrible and overrated.

>#4: Bad writing..
Yep.

She isn't a mary sue at all. Her investigation in BvS led her to get kindnapped, and her dumb attempt to get the Kryptonite spear led to her nearly killing herself. She's just a dime a dozen damsel in distress, who was reduced to a plot device by Snyder.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Number 1, my man. I never quite understood why Clark is so attracted to a woman who in most iterations is generally disinterested in his public persona but fawns over his false hero persona.

>In this thread: people who do not read Superman give their meaningless opinions on Superman
Never stops, Sup Forums.

>Her investigation in BvS led her to get kindnapped, and her dumb attempt to get the Kryptonite spear led to her nearly killing herself.
So she's not a mary sue, instead she's just useless.

The animated series proved you don't need 20+ years of writing to set them up properly, but you need to at least have their characters developed well. Sadly the movies that they had, have made no effort on setting em up properly at all.

The animated series didn't have them as a couple. Apparently, there were vetoed from doing that, so all they could do was drop a few hints and flirting every so often.

They became a couple when JL hit.

They jumped over the romance in the current movies. They went from just meeting each other to an old married couple from one movie to the next.

No professional rivalry. No budding friendship. No country mouse/city mouse routine. No discovering that Lois is passionate about helping people and not just getting the scoop. No Lois eventually choosing Clark the man over Superman the ideal.

Cavill is a decent actor. This was especially apparent in The Man From UNCLE. Snyder just doesn't know how to direct him, and Cavill is shackled by both the plot and the direction in these movies. It really is a shame.

In Mos at least it did work, fucking completely.
Was a absolute godsend compared to the Kidder or Bosworth versions.
Immeasurably more subtle and restrained then those 2.
Them forming their relationship out of mutual trust instead of Lois just being a dumbed down drooling bitch over Superman.
No cringy stalker-ish crap with Clark pining for her in the work place while she treats him like utter shit.

Dceu Lois has snark but is never once a bitch or unlikable. They got the balance perfect.

>They don't rely on each other for anything, or have any reason to see one another's virtues
I am pretty sure the multiple examples Lois finds of Clark having saved lives including her own shows her his vitures and Clark telling her his story and putting his trust in her to not tell the world (the first person he has ever put his trust in) would show him hers.

> Post competent reporter Lois in Live action...
> Useless...

>This was especially apparent in The Man From UNCLE
that movie was so much better than it had any right to be

I was incredibly pleasantly surprised

Why the fuck was trying to get the spear dumb?

And you neglect to mention...
> She saved Clark from the spear in turn.
> She was able to give the solution to stopping the Kryptonians to the Military & Clark.
> She was competent enough to discover Clark's identity.

Amy might be a good actress but she's a miscast with Cavill. They have no chemistry on top of a bad script. How is the guy to have any sizzle with someone who doesn't even look right with him? In MOS they just meet but sucking each other's tonsils when Supes should be rescuing people in that rubble. In BM V SM they're suddenly shacked up. Why? We're told but never given shown a good reason. They're a miserable couple. And she just freaking just pops up in all the movies making scenes jarring that don't need her because they don't know what the fuck to do with Lois whose reporting skills are redundant to the plots.

Much like the rest of the DCEU it's rushed.
>>Lois falls in love with Superman and learns his secret identity in the very first movie
>>Superman fights Doomsday and dies in his second outing
>>Batman immediately fights Superman
Instead of all these moments being the climax after 20+years of buildup in the comics, they're shoved into a movie because they're recognizable. We don't like them because we don't know fucking any of them. I don't care if Joe Shmo died in a car accident today. I care if my best friend I've known since I was twelve died in a car accident.

This Lois isn't nearly bitchy/snarky enough. She's just boring

>but sucking each other's tonsils when Supes should be rescuing people in that rubble
It was not a romantic kiss, they kissed out of a need for comfort and stability after nearly dying seconds before in a black hole, we saw the atom literally peeling off Clark's face. They floated down and immediately embraced there was no time for them to take in their surroundings.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

>>Lois falls in love with Superman and learns his secret identity in the very first movie
>>Superman fights Doomsday and dies in his second outing

It's like they crammed 5 seasons of a television series into 2 films.

Romance doesn’t require reason. Love is one of the most unreasonable social constructs in existence. Reason does however come into play when dealing with long-lasting relationships. “Why does this couple stay together after all these years?” and things of that nature.

Personally I still ship SM/WW, but even a fag like me understand why Lois and Clark have longevity. Clark admires Lois’s grit and inner strength. And Lois in turn admires Clark’s strong moral code and authenticity.

No it's the truth, they did not look around when they floated down.
They were both fucking shaking as they held each other.

>Superman eats his steak with ketchup

I bet Chinese Superman doesn't slather his dumplings with ketchup

Sacrifices must be made in order to make time for scenes that set up upcoming movies

Did anyone else think Amy adams looked boring and plain in the DCEU? I didn't even know she could be hot until I saw her in another movie.

Because there is no romance there. They've been trying to push that shit for ages in the comics.

Get rid of Lois Lane already.

They didn't write it properly, also nothing against Adams, she's a great actress. But she ain't no Lois. She just doesn't convince you of it, at all.

It all comes back to Superman.
If you change Superman, everything around him shifts and morphs and becomes less of a fit.
Lois is loud and brash and cynical city girl, because Clark, deep down, isn't. He's a polite, personable country boy. They complement each other.
You tone them both down, their complementary contrast disappears. Just like how the contrast with Batman disappeared.

This is one of their best "relationships," depicted outside comics.

>almost never works in amy medium
Except the majority, you mean. Lois and Clark are a top tier couple.

No chemistry between the actors. Feels like they're just together just cause. The kiss in MOS was so out of place.

They don't show much affection. The bathtub scene was the closest they got.

Is it Rebirth? Is it good?

Yup. The Superfam is great.

Is nobody going to talk about that fucking hand?

Neither characters are fleshed out characters.

Superman isn't acting like Superman and being the charm master, and Lois Lane isn't the aggressive go-getter she is in the comics.

Jimenez's Lois lane nhnhnhnhgggg

It's the clearly differing perspectives and character themes.

Clark is the type who wants to cuddle and maybe cry a little after lovemaking.

Lois just wants to keep riding the Kryptonian cock until she nuts her pussy dry and immediately sink into a dreamless, exhausted sleep afterwards.

Their whole Man of Steel relationship is creepy.

>Y'know what I love? How every time Superman kills someone, gets convinced (not brainwashed or controlled) that someone needs to be killed, that he always makes it Lois Lane's fault.

>"I WOULDN'T HAVE KILLED THAT DESERT WARLORD IF YOU WOULD JUST FUCKING STAY PUT LOIS LANE! NOW I'VE KILLED AGAIN! THIS IS ON YOU! Okay, okay bitch, I got a little out of control for a moment, you know how I am, you know how you make me sometimes, I just get so angry, hey, you know what would calm me down, awkward dead eye bathtub sex. Get in the bathtub Lois. You're saving the world from me Lois."

Like, if I was the president of the United States, I would have a SEAL team just following around Lois Lane at all times, keeping her safe, because if she stubs her toe, Supeman has to kill all life. ALL LIFE. YOU SHOULD HAVE PROTECTED HER! NOW I HAVE TO KILL YOU!

No, you just have shit taste faggot

Every second these three spend together on the page is precious. Tomasi's Superman is fantastic all around.

So they pulled a Speed. Except they're still together in the sequel and it doesn't take place on a cruise ship.

>Except they're still together in the sequel and it doesn't take place on a cruise ship.

You know, I would have enjoyed coked out freakazoid Lex if he was played by Dafoe.

Mmmm, she is a delicious MILF

You nailed it when you questioned why they even like each other. There is literally no reason outside shallow attraction. Without headcanoning can anyone tell me what they saw in each other in MoS? This shitty romance hurts Lois’ character the most because that’s all she’s there for. You know a romance is bad when you groan when one of the partners show up.

Contrast this with Tony and Pepper who have a developed relationship and a reason to like each other. Tony likes Pepper because she is one of the few people who can challenge him and Pepper likes Tony because she admires his intellect and has grown to care for him after so many years being his personal secretary. When Pepper shows up we cheer(Homecoming) and when she’s absent we are legitimately hurt(Civil War).

When Tony says he’s ready to throw away Iron Man for Pepper, we believe him. When Superman says Lois is his world we are confused. Why would he say that? We’re never given a reason for why Lois is so special to him. The movie hasn’t earned that line yet.

I was thinking Bryan Cranston, but Dafoe would be INTENSE AS FUCK. If he's still alive for the reboot, I cast it.

Fuck it! Make him Lex Sr., and have him take over for Eisenberg after Flashpoint.

I think if Cavill was allowed to act with the spirit and charisma he has in other roles, he could be an excellent Clark and Superman.
I like Amy Adams as Lois.
I don't feel chemistry from the two of them and think either would have been great with the other role played by someone else, if that makes any sense.

Cavill's more likeable during his interviews. He needs someone who can channel his charisma, kinda like what Waititty monster did with Hemsworth.

She could've easily gotten someone else to get the spear, and may I remind you, she was the one who dropped it into the water to begin with.

I swear, you DCEUfags are so retarded.

>I haven't watched Smallville and Lois and Clark the post

>There is literally no reason outside shallow attraction.
There isn't even that. As is the paradox of the DCEU, we are going to reintroduce you to things we know you know, because this is supposed to be a new modernized take on the IP, but at the same time, we aren't going to cover fundamental narrative content because we know you know it. I didn't pick up on any reason why they should be together beyond the sacred cow that Lois and Clark wind up together, so lets write that they wind up together in the script, but portraying that convincingly doesn't matter as long as the fight scenes are badass, and Metropolis gets screwed up because of it, bro!

That's not true at all. I believe it when Clark says Lois is his world, because Lois is the only non parental figure named character he's had any kind of emotional connection to for his entire adult life. She's an emotional crutch and he's dependent on her. It's shitty, but I buy it.
I also fully believe that without Lois he'd go full space despot in about a month.

because they were embarrassingly upstaged by sexual tension between side characters (Faora and the Kamikaze army guy).

He's still got Ma left. I know he needs to fuck sometimes, but taking over the world isn't a healthy reaction.
Hasn't he ever felt anything for any other human on the planet?

>because Lois is the only non parental figure named character he's had any kind of emotional connection to for his entire adult life. She's an emotional crutch and he's dependent on her. It's shitty, but I buy it.
It's not shitty, it is unhealthy. It's like saying that dressing up like a Bat and fighting crime is a psychologically reasonable alternative to seeking professional help to overcome childhood trauma, because Alfred was simply respecting his employer's wishes by not not insisting Bruce seek it out that help.

To simplify Lois's significance from the one woman on Earth that, despite Superman theoretically being able to pick a different consenting 10/10 every night if he wanted to, just so happens to have that unique something that disarms him more effectively than Luthor, Brainiac, or even Darkseid could dream of doing, down to just being special because she is the only other non-parental adult relationship he's had is just flat out fucking disgusting. Disservice doesn't even scratch the surface of how shameful a hack job it has been.

for all we know though they're having nonstop sex in the phantom zone

>for all we know
Bro, there is zero chance they aren't hatefucking in perpetuity.

If he did, it wasn't relevant to the story they were telling
>It's not shitty, it is unhealthy.
Semantics, but semantics I'll happily agree to. Snyder's Superman really isn't what I'd call emotionally mature or psychologically well adjusted.