Do you like Kirby stories?

What's his weaknesses as a writer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_-9RdmSm1yI?t=6m39s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

His hairline

Inhumans was always shit. People like to meme otherwise, but there's no way around the fact that Kirby's Black Bolt is one of the most wooden comic book characters.

business sense and self promotion

He wanted to write the lord of the rings but editors just wanted superheroes

New Gods pales in comparison to his work on Thor. You can get the sense that he wanted to keep working on Thor.

I'm pretty sure he did. I think that's why they're the New Gods, the idea being these are his Thor idea's for when Ragnarok finally came about.

Marvel broke the man's heart DC put the stake in it soon after

Coherent pacing, most of the time. Things just jump around as he sees fit.

He was not that good as a writer. He was just good as an artist.

Art is the most important thing in comics

I agree that he wasn't the best writer, but he was one of the most creative professionals out there. His ideas were new at the time in comics and we still eat the dishes he made first.

>t. drawslave

Anyone can be an ideas guy though

>t. writerfag

Don't fucking start this shit
Thor, his second run on Cap. and The Demon (despite his documented ambivalent attitude towards it) are all really fucking good. His work benefits and suffers I feel from wanting to distance itself from previous events if that makes sense, that every one of his work is kinda moving forward with little regard for what's left behind

And only a few people can make them work.

Tell that to Stan Lee.

He really needed a co-writer. Guy was great with plots and ideas but the final product left a lot to be desired, especially when writing characters. His dialogue for godlike beings has a lot of charm though.

No, they really can't. Most superhero comics have been writing rip offs of his shit for 50 years.

>This is what doodle-monkeys actually believe

Phenomenal at art, great at concept. But Kirby never was a "good" writer, not even close.

This is where the Lee feud is usually talked about, and "comic connoisseurs" are quick to hate Stan Lee, but I honestly believe that while Kirby was grossly shun upon, Lee gets too much hate when a huge part of the credit for his work with Kirby is rightly deserved.

>Phenomenal at art
In terms of volume and how dynamic his characters looked?

My big issue with him is everyone having the same face.

I love Kirby's writing, people can complain that his characters don't talk like real people, but those people put way too much stock in realism imo. His writing is every bit as grand as his art.

He was a better writer than Stan Lee by miles, in no small part because Kirby's heart and soul was in his work.

youtu.be/_-9RdmSm1yI?t=6m39s

They're not even very good at copying or adapting, either. The mass cultural osmosis between East and West began about 20 years ago and a lot of DC and Marvel artists/writers still haven't picked up on stuff that's common in JP comics that they nicked from the classics of the Golden Age.

I wish I could just get a few days to talk to Ellison about comics.

>My big issue with him is everyone having the same face
Are you an artist?

His dialogue is clunky, but that's because he's not trying to make them talk like a normal person, he's writing them like they're out of an epic.
If I have one honest gripe, he uses that one "main character on the left side of the panel, close up on the face, looking towards the reader" angle too much.

Not them, but while the sameface is a minor quibble, Kirby absolutely did have some problems with things like proportion and perspective after his youth left him. He used that to his advantage, mind you, but he wasn't perfect.

just a fan of comics, im a phone support guy

Well as an artist let me tell ya, sameface can be really hard to rectify, especially when you're drawing hundreds of characters on a strict monthly schedule. There are only so many ways to combine easily distinguishable features while maintaining a cohesive style that's pleasing to look at.

On top of that art is all about illusion, so there are some shortcuts that just work better than others.

This. It's like chords in music. And the fact that he drew 80x the volume of most comic artist per month.