Superman: Up, Up, and Away!

>that fucking Star Wars ship
Hahaha

Man, this is one of my favorites

What Superman Returns should have been

For context: part of Infinite Crisis' story was a critique of the DCU becoming too serious and realistic. Johns not so subtly had a character say how Superman hadn't been Superman to him for a long time.

So after Infinite Crisis was One Year Later, where Superman lost his powers, Wonder Woman went on a journey of self-discovery, and Batman underwent a psychological reset. Leading us to this, the "relaunch" of Superman, returning to the original numbering and getting a new origin retelling (in Superman: Secret Origin).

That and Last Son, if you wanted to bring the kid angle into it.

What happened to Pete Woods, by the way?

100% agreed. Johns and Busiek are two guys who really get Superman.

It's a little funny seeing Clark sport a letterman since this artist now draws Archie comics.

Apparently he's doing Archie

>For context: part of Infinite Crisis' story was a critique of the DCU becoming too serious and realistic.
Which was bullshit because Johns is easily one of the edgiest writers at DC. I also hate how Johns stories try to attack like this big pro-Silver Age metacommentary and then he writes shit like Blackest Night, which is nothing but gory deaths, and Doomsday Clock, which is the most creatively bankrupt comic I've ever seen.

Street pretzels have a 15% chance of inflicting Poison but man are they tasty and convenient.

*act, not attack
I swear I'm not phoneposting, Jesus

>was a critique of the DCU becoming too serious and realistic

I now the complaint has been said, but that's still real funny coming from Geoff " it was me Barry" Johns.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with Johns. I like his reconstructionist approach but then he has really inappropriate violence and shit.

Infinite Crisis, the comic where Geoff Johns turned Silver Age Superboy into a edgelord and had him kill a bunch of D-list characters for shock value

This hard-on Lex has for Lois is pretty funny.

I know Lois is attractive and all, but Lex is rich as fuck. He can PAY for the most attractive women in the world.

Remeber "The Black Ring"? He built a Lois-Robot to fuck. Guy is out of his mind.

Well to be fair to Geoff, those characters deserved to die for not being in the Teen Titan comics he read growing up.

Technically it was Bronze Age Superboy but yeah that's the exact moment I think of when I think of Johns being flawed.

>a man who has everything is obsessed with something he can't have
pretty common character trope

It's that classic "I can have almost any woman I want, but the only one I want is the one I can't have" trope

I dislike the "Johns is DC Bendis" meme but that moment was even more Bendis than Bendis

Isn't he doing Priest's Justice League?

>He can PAY for the most attractive women in the world

I doubt Lex ever pays for something he could get by putting in effort. I mean he doesn't NEED to work out, he could easily devote a whole team at Lexcorp to making a serum or nano machines that make his body fit.

Kara, Jason and Donna all got to be the Big Guys for one year, and we didn't even get to see 99% of it.

No Johns going full Bendis was his time writing LOSH. Waid spent pretty much his whole time on that last run trying to convince fans that they shouldn't just ask for the same old thing they already have, but to give something new a chance.

Geoff's response is to bring the whole Levtiz era team back. He may as well have leaned out his office and shouted " fuck you" to Waid.

Threeboot sucks, and I know I'm a fag for this but I like Johns LoSH because it's "muh legion"

Lex went bankrupt because in 52 he literally killed kids

Oh I agree it sucks, I didn't much care for Reboot either outside of a few fun characters likes Gates and Princess Snake. It still just feels like giving another writer the finger

"Muh" Legion will always be 5YL

I still can't believe they actually thought it was a good idea to break these two up for awhile

It's comparable to Rebirth with how (at least according to some) Superdad was a big "fuck you" to Superbro.

But whether it was malicious or not IMO it kind of had to be done.

You know, in Convergence they explained that Superman could only have a babby with Lois because he was depowered in the dome...

...I feel like that's an implication that they couldn't bang before, which is retarded "kryptonite condom" level bullshit

>white person calling someone "a brother"
No

Anytime people try and bring up superpowers in sex I just think about Jim Shooter's sex chart for the Legion.

>I still can't believe they actually thought it was a good idea to break these two up for awhile
Not only that, but the New 52 started with Lois fucking another guy from the get-go.

Imagine that: years of New Krypton, so almost no Lois/Clark moments during that period. New Krypton is over, "Grounded" starts. "Grounded" is over, the universe reboots and now Lois doesn't care for Superman nor Clark and is fucking a random.

I actually stopped reading Superman because of that.

Eh, could always attribute it to how his abilities are solar powered- probably more a case of sperm not being able to do what it needs to do to start the baby-making progress at the cellular level when there's solar charge. Opposed to something like the Boys and intercourse with a superhuman being a big risk of a cumshot exit wound.

Then again, its a comic, you don't need ALL the dirty little details.

Newly-weds Lois and Clark were fucking all the time, so I don't think those are the implications.

Shoot, this reminds me that "It's a Bird" is getting a reprint

I'll accept that

>cumshot exit wound

That joke has only ever worked once for me, in Ennis and Conner's The Pro where the Superman clone shoots down a plane with his load after a bj

> In God's name move your head!

I wonder who I have to blame for raping the Prankster: Johns or Busiek?

I feel like Busiek would have happily used the "pennies in my ears" Prankster

Hey Tex, did you catch the WW episode of that Kirkman docu-series? I haven't yet

Well yea, Ennis obviously used it for both comics- The Pro as a, well, gag, and the Boys as another part of showing how fucked up some of the supers could be. Actually referenced that joke in the Boys when they were in Russia and met Love Sausage for the first time IIRC.

Nah, I'm planning to check that out over Thanksgiving break

This reminds me a tiny bit of the Mxyzptlk expy in Supreme

Yeah, but he was the one who actually used nuPrankster, besides Busiek is indeed a traditionalist but even he is willing to change shit around (mostly with things he doesn't much care for, like the X-Men)

Or his weird takes like " Adam Strange is outdated and shouldn't be used"

And Didio defends killing Conner

Yeah every once in awhile Busiek says something that just makes me "wat"

A perfect Superman story needs:
-Superman stopping a train
-Superman picking up a car
-bullets bouncing off of Superman's chest while he jokes at the shooters

WEW