Grant Morrison's Batman

Is Morrison's Batman saga worth reading? I don't read a lot of cape comics but I heard his run is truly exceptional. What do you think?

No. It's convoluted, self-indulgent and so full of references that it would make Family Guy blush.

Why not read All-Star Superman instead?

After you're done, you'll wish there was more of it. Which is a good problem for a run to have.

There are other Batman comics that require less investment and are better/simpler/easier to enjoy. Like Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, Living Hell, Killing Joke, Year One, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, and nothing else.

Already read that, but thanks for the suggestion. I really enjoyed it

It's definitely...something.
parts of it are better than others, like RIP and Return of Bruce Wayne. Other bits, like where he tries to write Jason Todd and mutilates his character aren't so hot.

I liked the his Dick/Damian run but think the rest is a bit convoluted for beginners and overall overrated. If you want to read Grant Morrison read his Superman books. Plenty of people write Batman better than Grant but I think most people agree that he's the best Superman writer. It does help to have basic knowledge on the Gold and Silver Ages of comics for that though, but you can still enjoy them regardless

>tries to write Jason Todd and mutilates his character
Judd please

Yeah, its pretty cool, does a lot if interesting stuff.

Love it.

Yes, it's remarkable.

It is definitely a great run on the character, easily one of my favorite contemporary takes on the mythos, but it rewards extensive prior knowledge of the character. I would not recommend it to someone who hasn't already read a great deal of Batman comics.

I read it, recently. It's really good. Like, really, really good. One of the definitive bat books of this millennium , if not the best one.

Morrison pls

Part of what makes it so good is that within the larger run, each arc has a different tone and genre. Horror, camp, adventure, mystery etc.

Overrated writer with obsessive fanbase who think everything coming from him is gold.

Dickbat is Bestbat

Umaru knows better than to believe you.

The start of it is kinda overdrawn (namely The Black Glove, the first arc that introduces Damian is alright), and Batman RIP is a bit too overwrought for its own good, not to mention it overlaps horribly with Final Crisis and you'll need to read that too.

But then you get his Batman and Robin and Batman Inc, which are genuinely fun and entertaining. Though a lot of their lore and mysteries are deeply rooted in the events of RIP and Glove, and provides answers to some of the question introduced years earlier. So you can't really skip anything. Either read ALL of Morrison's run, or skip it entirely. It's a big of a drag at times, but I think it's worth it.

Fucking nailed it.

si es bueno, mejor que snyder y kings batman.

Better than Tom King's

>Overrated writer with obsessive fanbase who think everything coming from him is gold.
Tom King.

>obsessive fanbase
Oh, please. No one likes king's writing. The people who currently defend him do so, because they're batfags who have to love everything batman and people who like selinaxbruce (which is a good ship, but the batcatbatcatbatcat mantra is ridiculous)

>I don't read a lot of cape comics
then it isn't for you. You may like some of it but you won't understand half of it and it would honestly probably be a chore for you to keep looking shit up.

It's incredible. But it really isn't "accessible" to a reader who isn't at least marginally well-versed in bat-lore.

Can someone remind me what the deal was with the extra batmen?
The three cops, plus damienbat in the future?
And what about not!damian? Was he a bat too?

It is, its a great Batman & Robin run full of fun, unless you're a complete faggot that doesnt know shit about comics and got into Batman after watching the Nolan movies.

>because they're batfags who have to love everything batman and people who like selinaxbruce

painfully inaccurate. It's people who started reading comics with Vision and think the idea of batman is generally "le insane guy in tights".

I may be forgetting something, but basically Doctor Hurt created three replacement Batmen in the process of fully understanding his psyche and what not. Bruce took down two, the third subdued Batman and managed to escape. Bruce had partaken in some ritual in a cave where he was dead and he saw visions of things to come, including hints towards Final Crisis and the war against Leviathan. He also saw that there were three Batman, and the third would eventually destroy Gotham City.

We dont see the third Batman until the #666 issue, where Damian (now grown up and being Batman) deals with him once and for all.

Then much later in INC it's revealed that, plot twist, Bruce was wrong: the third Batman who'll end up destroying Gotham is actually Damian (Dick being the second Batman), which is why acted like an asshole towards Damian and didn't let him in on most of the action and info for a while.

It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a fun ride, and it's a cautionary tale in some ways about trying to tell a long-term story in modern superheroes. For one, Morrison wished that Dick could have been Batman forever, for another, kind of hard to tell a story about Batman's continuity when the story had at least 2 retcons happen during it.

The whole story is about the impossibility and the inevitability of replacing Bruce. Dick, Damian, the 3 Batcops, The Batman of Other Nations, Batman Inc, the future Batmen in the flashforward at the end of #700 -- all try to replace Batman with various intentions, and as Alfred tells Dick, "it's a role, like Hamlet" but at the end, due to his corporate overlords (DC) Bruce is doomed to be Batman unendingly.

It's good, but should definitely not be your first Batman story. There are tons of references that could go over your head.

God could write Batman and it still wouldn't be worth reading.

Read something far more worthwhile, like Garfield or Peanuts.

Ignore this guy. Morrison being confusing is overplayed on this board, mainly because it houses people who're excited for Doomsday clock next week. It's completely straight forward and simple.
I like the run, but I think there are better cape runs you can read if you haven't read any. Also, it's reactionary to previous Batman runs, so some of the stuff will be lost on you.

Does he actually has fanboys? I thought it was just dick fanboys?

King is WAYYYYY too new to have a fanbase remotely similar to Morrison's. King hasn't had his JLA, his Doom Patrol, or his New X-Men yet, whether we're talking quality, quantity, or impact.

What is so complicated about the run? Is there anything I should read before the run? I've read most of the famous Batman stories + Snyder and King's run, so I'm fairly new when it comes to the Bat-mythos

Read The Black Casebook, it contains stories that are referenced in his run

that's all you really need and will appreciate it even more.

It's not required reading though

Nothing. The book itself is for the most part incredibly simple, Morrison just makes a bunch of references to older stories that don't really matter to the plot that people here confuse for depth. At the same time Morrison barely touch on Batman's Golden Age stuff and relegates the vast majority of his Silver Age stuff to hallucinations. The only older material that is directly pertinent is Dark Knight, Dark City, which is largely what Morrison cribs from for the background of his run, and O'Neil's run, neither of which are necessary to actually get Morrison's run as Grant explains everything and frequently retcons Batman's history during the run.

>Then much later in INC it's revealed that, plot twist, Bruce was wrong: the third Batman who'll end up destroying Gotham is actually Damian
No nazi Timend up destroying Gotham .when he tried to kill that damian with a bomb -tec .spoliers.-

Damian 666 is not dead.

Real talk, what's with all these piss poor grammar posts on Sup Forums these past few weeks?

It's not complicated, it's try hard.

Anytime it involves the Batfamily or Tom King, it i Damifag

...how new are you? Because that "person" has been here for over a year.

jasonfag you are a king fag ?

lol cry harder Jasonfag, this isn’t about any of those characters.

Jesup christ fuck off with your characterfag/Tim Jason fag shit and take it back to CBR

>truly exceptional
truly exceptionally bad, aside from Dickbats.

t. loves Grant Morrison's Superman comics.

>Anytime it involves the Batfamily or Tom King, it i Jasonfag.

Hm, I've seen it in a few other threads too and I don't think it's the same person... or maybe it is who knows

I stay away from batfamily threads and recent story times of Batman, 'tec.

Jasonfags..So it's confirmed 90% of Sup Forums is made of CBR Jason posters, right?

Black Casebook did such a shit job.

Morrison says in the intro that he picked a bunch of comics for the covers and the Casebook reprints the entire issues without even including the covers. Plus it doesn't even include comics that are ESSENTIAL to his run like World's Finest #223 which is the comic that introduces Bruce's mentally unstable brother Thomas Jr.

90% of Sup Forums thinks Red Hood and the Outlaws is great so...

You guys almost make me hate liking characters from the Bat-family. This reads like 12 year old girls on Tumblr fighting over their favorite cartoon boy that will never fuck them.

Are you that delusional idiot from Batman thread who think that there are imaginary robin fans who fight each other beside that Damian fanatic? Because your posts still as random as ever.

Who is fighting?

Jasonfag you are worse.

Jasonfags.