Based on Norse mythology

>Based on Norse mythology
>British Accents
How does this happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

norsemyth.org/2011/09/blond-thor-stan-lee-wasnt-wrong.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MCU Thor... loosely based on comic Thor... who is very loosely based on Norse Thor

u fuckers need to stop this "why doesn't it follow the myths I never read!" meme

This. Ever since the Stan Lee days Thor went out of his way to say "Haha, you stupid people and your made up bullshit about us Asgardians"

Why does nearly everyone in Star Wars have British accents?
That's just the standard English accent apparently

>based on Norse mythology
Please at least pretend like you've ever read a comic.

Especially since they dont care for actual Norse myths themselves

>"Heimdall is the whitest of all the gods! They're destroying my culture! We wuz vikings!"
>Ignores Thor being a blonde who hangs out with talking space raccoons

Because Norse heavily affected the British language, along with literally everyone else English encountered.

Also thanks to the Brits taking up the mantle of being the fantasy-makers after the Dutch and Germans tried to be more realist in the 1800’s, modern fantasy is more influenced by the British and Britain’s “child” nations than anyone which makes a British accent automatically lend some strength to suspension of disbelief that something magical will happen.

Because he's an Australian actor.

Because a lot of the original crew were British.

>Based on norse mythology
LOL GOOD JOKE. With 15 fucking ragnaroks every two seconds in the MCU it's nowhere near close to norse mythology. They just keep the names of some of the characters and bullshit the rest.

Thor's original director is a British dude
There you go

Besides, just from a marketing standpoint it's easier to sell a movie where people are speaking English with a normal accent from people who speak English
Watching Thor with Norwegian or Swedish accents would have been hell

Because it is written by Americans, and Americans only ever hear European myths from British media.

The Imperials have British accents because they're based loosely on the British Empire. Also, they're the bad guys.

Don’t forget that the whole white Scandanavian pride thing also has to come with how the Norse peoples were obsessed with gender equality shit. One of the most popular songs for the vikings was about how a wife killed her asshole husband and took command of his troops and how she actually gave them compliments instead of just orders and criticism, and one of Thor’s greatest moments is just using Mjolnir to bash in the skull of a Chad who fucks too many women and wore his pants so tight everyone could see his bulge.

Being based off a story doesn't mean its supposed to be a replica.

Did the actual movie Thor, and the 616 Thor ever had to transform into a girl and pretend that he was going to marry a Frost Giant...like on the myths?

Actually it was because Britain still had laws on the books from the 50’s that used tax breaks to incentivize filming in England using British crew and actors. Those laws originally were to kickstart the struggling postwar economy.

Lucas took advantage of it, if you pay attention you notice that most of the Rebels are British too. Every extra was basically a Brit.

Those laws were eventually repealed which is why they rarely film American movies in England anymore. Instead they use Ontario in Canada and Georgia, since those places still give massive tax breaks for filming.

>Transform into a girl.
Nah, bro just put on a dress. Giants are just dumb as shit.

>also has to come with how the Norse peoples were obsessed with gender equality shit
See I'm sorry user, but this is just as absurd as the reverse. Norse society was not even remotely gender equal, and a couple of sagas or poems do not change that from what it was.

Both you and the white pride idiots who are desperate to recast historical times to support modern politics or attitudes are pure cancer.

You can say "Norse society was more gender equal than many equivalent societies" or "Women had specific rights and the ability to own property in some conditions in Norse societies that they did not in equivalent societies" but to say they were obsessed with gender equality shit is just false.

There was thousands of blonde, ginger and brown haired vikings but ZERO african vikings, nice try.

What about we make many native wakandas blonde?

Now Loki on the other hand...

Ancient Asgard proverb: It’s not gay if it’s Loki.

Basing off of something you might as well attempt to stay true or close to the source material, including something as obscure as norse mythology. This isn't like a casual retelling of the same story.

Seeing the "END OF THE WORLD" 15 god damn times is a fucking joke. And it never fucking happens, shit never gets real they call it a ragnarok because it could potentially end the world but it never does. It's not a fucking ragnarok if it doesn't come true and it is preventable.

>I don't like comics, and in fact I've never even read one
Oh, okay. Glad we cleared that up.

That's why thor got the worst trilogy on MCU, just like DCEU characters he don't follow the source.

Are you being willfully retarded right now? Because I can go on all day about the inaccuracies in Marvel Thor.

And Thor wasn’t a blonde no matter how much you want to meme.

I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t Moorish blood in the Viking gene pool. Of course not enough to be noticed a few generations after the Vikings stopped Vikinging.

Why the fuck would you want to stay close to the source material?
Especially material that isn't widely known?
Then you could branch out and do your own thing with the characters

You're right, I don't like thor comics and every time I've read the premise of them, they are awful bastardizations with garbage story. I'm not going to bother picking something up that looks like garbage from the synopsis.

I'm glad you caught on.

It's kind of funny how many racist groups idolize Norse mythology, especially Odin, yet fail to see the irony in admiring a guy who seals his own terrible fate by betraying Fenrir, who only wanted to be respected by the gods.

Pic related is a pretty fun way to start reading these stories if anybody in Sup Forums hasn't already. The audio-book is narrated by the author, our pal Neil Gaiman.

The source material here wouldn't be Norse mythology though. It would be Thor comics.

>I hate things I've never tried
Look, if you don't think you'll like them, then fine, you don't have to check it out. But don't act like you know what you're talking about.

I do, when I thumb through and see these people screaming ragnarok and **MULTIPLE RAGNAROKS** are established to happen in a time line they can fuck off. I don't need to read how each one happened because nothing should fucking exist outside of Asgard after the first one.

You people defend garbage that rapes the source material for no reason but because they can, and that's fucking sad.

So? Still fucking impossible to find a black viking, that's like making a pantheon of african gods with many of them being japanese and mexican.

>Brits taking up the mantle of being the fantasy-makers after the Dutch and Germans tried to be more realist in the 1800’s
which Dutch and German authors are you referring to?
I ask cause I've actually been looking for a good book to buy on that same subject and if you got any recommendations, I'm all ears to suggestions.

this the fact that people see them Empire of Star Wars as the British Empire

The problem is Thor was in the beginning Lee and Kirby didn't really establish if Thor was Donner Blake who gain the abilities of Thor or became the same Thor from myth

at first it was the former with Donald Blake being important to the character dynamic as Thor was Marvel's version of Superman but later on Tales of Asgard were added and the problem became a tad more complex and Roy Thomas began adding more elements of the myth into the comic

an easier way to deal with the problem was set that Raganork was a reset button for the Asgardians and this Marvel version was just new phase born out of the classical myth and even with the classical myths, storytellers varied and changed the accounts around to suit their tribe there is no one version of a character just like today there is no one true Batman because each incarnation is part of the sum total

norsemyth.org/2011/09/blond-thor-stan-lee-wasnt-wrong.html
good article addressing that maybe Thor their was a blondie version of Thor

It’s still impossible to find Vikings hanging out with Captain America but I don’t see you complaining about that, faggot.

Whenever you fuck somebody, be it man, woman, animal, vegetable or mineral, there's a 1/8 chance that it's actually Loki.

>world-threatening thing happens a lot
>in superhero comics
Gee, you don't say?!

Wakandas are black people that worship a patheon of ethnically egyptian gods, caucasian egyptians btw not the blacks from ancient south egypt.

You fucking idiot. He’s calling you a hypocrite for complaining about the black god but not the shit ton of other inaccuracies in Marvel Thor. But since you’re a fucking Sup Forumsnigger you probably don’t care.

You dumb motherfucker. Even in the myths after Ragnorok the world is reborn fertile with gods returning, some from Hel like Baldr, and humanity being repopulated by Lif and Lifthrasir.

The Panther god wasn't Egyptian

Goddaamit Hickman

Lee added that Shakespearian dialogue to add a layer of dramatic tension similar to the period of time when Shakespeare wrote his historical tragedies

I'm pretty sure Coriolanus, Edward III or Julius Caesar didn't speak the way Shakespeare did

Shakespeare invented his own words and moved English away from Old and Middle English towards the Modern along with the King James Bible

Old English was spoken by the Anglo-Saxon and Lee probably said fuck it close enough and these kids are used to Shakespeare play from school let's just ham it up with a version of novelty English from yesteryear.

that explains why 99% of film ends with the whole "Made in Georgia"

We will truly never know if that was how the original myths went about dealing with the end of the world.

That version you speak of is taken from after Christian Church's influence in recording down the pagan myths. Beowulf has the same problem as it dances between a fine line of ancient pagan ideas and the new Christian ideologies.

>There was thousands of blonde, ginger and brown haired vikings but ZERO african vikings, nice try.
I think he is refering to that Thor actually has red hair.

>tfw your son gives birth to a giant flying eight-legged horse and gifts it to you

>Based on Norse mythology
wut?

They speak the all-tongue.
The fact that they sound british to you is your own fault.

That is the first time i ever heard that absolutely retarded idea about the Nazi stand-ins being based on the british empire.

Because the King James Bible exists. KJB being the archetypal English language dictionary means that Shakespearean English immediately gives a sense of divine importance and prestige to a work.

Therefore, when Stan Lee was writing the dialogue for these mythological hero-gods back in the sixties, he did it in a Shakespearean dialect to make them seem biblical, (and in English because they were for Americans) and that carried on as part of their characters through up into the 2000s.

When they made the movies, they decided the Shakespearean dialect was a bit much, but kept a similar accent for much the same reason.

Also, because Swedish Accents are silly in English.

It was a damn amazing horse tho

Same reason they went out of their way to cast a black chick to play Valkyrie; it's a silly and inaccurate version of Norse mythology.

And I know that at least one fag will mention that it's based on the Marvel comics, so I will just mention right away that's it's nonetheless a version of Norse mythology and mentioning that won't change that.

It is what it is: silly.

I'm not saying a Norwegian or Swedish accent would be better or anything, btw.

>The nordic GOD of thunder, a being from a pantheon that pretty much gets off on killing, falls for a human cientist FOR NO FUCKING REASON, and then doesn't brutally rape her once she decides to break up with him.

Norse gods didnt acted like that mate.

Always loved norse mythology
Always hated thor with a passion
Shit movie, shit comic, shit hero, kinda sad they're putting so much emphasis on him in the MCU desu, there's dozens of avengers which would've been so much better than this shit
And we didn't need a fucking god, we already got overpowered shit laying around with hulk and now spidey

Boo hoo! My capeshit wasn't exactly like centuries old Norse myths! There weren't any aliens in the myths either retard

>Caucasian Egyptians

Talk about wewuzing

>tfw no husky-voiced GF with a norwegian accent

>Also, because Swedish Accents are silly in English.

In Marvel canon Norse myth is based on them, not the other way around

captcha: mead monument

In the comics? When did that happen?

Always thought was an Earth-X thing.

You fucking idiot, no one gives a shit about thor being blonde or a ginger
He still looks like a fucking viking, which is the point
Heimdall doesn't look like a fucking viking, because he's a nigger
And we're not talking about vikings here, we're talking about their fucking GODS

You don't see people complaining about Nick being black, do you?
No, because no one gives a shit about skin color WHEN IT MAKES SENSE
You libcucks are the reason we have all these fucking 'new colorful superheroes' that no one cares about and no one reads, and you still don't understand why
But keep going, I'm sure you're fighting the good fight

On a side-note, I can't wait to see a black zeus whenever disney decides to make a live action hercules movie
This is going to be great

Since always
The Asgardians existed before mankind did

Yet Hogun exists and he was based on the Mongols

>>calls them vikings

>>says he cares about accuracy

EVERYONE calls them vikings because they never called themselves anything.
Way to be a faggy fag, faggy faggot.

Pharoahs had irish and asians in their genepool/harems. Technically they wuz everyone.
It's still a really stupid complaint from that user though since there are apparently oral traditions making it slightly theorized that many african gods are permutations of ancient egyptian ones.culture.
It's not widely accepted because noone wrote anything down which is extremely hypocritical since that isn't a requirement for information to be considered valid about ancient greeks and romans.
TKDR it would theoretically be viable for Bastet worship to have spread to whatever location modern day Wakanda is in.

Because vikings did have some asians running around
They were slaves, of course, but who cares, hogun doesn't come from the norse mythology, it's a marvel invention
Writer certainly went 'huh, vikings were still around when genghis khan went ham right?? well vikings and mongols are kinda the same, right? they kill and rape and loot and shit, right? so why not add one!'
Heimdall does come from the norse pantheon though, and he wasn't a nigger
Just like thor wasn't a flat face
Or just like Odin wasn't a sandnigger

Not that I really care anyway, thor movies are shit and heimdall barely appears in them
But I understand why the people that do love the comics, or even the mythology, can feel offended by this kind of bullshit
It's not like heimdall had an important role or anything, and it's not like they couldn't have picked literally any white actors for it

>You don't see people complaining about Nick being black, do you?
>implying
People did complain though. Just like they complain about MJ and Domino and everyone else.

Rape was still a crime back then. The idea of viking rape is actually theorized to just be jealous cuckolded in the actual intent of the word beta males that gt mad about those bath taking, nice smellings foreigners kept on having consensual sex with their women whom didn't want to be with their unwashed penises.

Yep.

You film where you get incentives.

Nowadays though it doesn’t help much, since you aren’t required to hire locals as actors, just crew.

Oh, I think I misread your post.

Actually, in universe Norse mythology based on Asgardians. So any inaccuracies are just vikings misunderstanding or misremembering things.

Because it's not based on Norse Mythology, it's based on Marvel Comic's Thor which was Stan going "Fuck it I'll take whatever I can remember about Norse myth and combine it with my love of Shakespeare" and Jack Kirby inserting sci-fi stuff all over.

No he crossdressed.

However Odin turned him into a girl in Earth X.

In Marvelverse it's Norse mythology based on aliens from Asgard, not the other way around.
Vikings met aliens and thought they are gods and built entire mythology around them. As result some of Norse myths are true while others are false.
Asgardians are so advanced their technologies look like magic and miracles, but they are just aliums from space.