Why was this the best cape film of the last 10 years?

Why was this the best cape film of the last 10 years?

Only its first act was good, sadly.

No stupid end of the world shenanigans, just trying to survive in a shitty environment.

Get out

>didn’t try to build up to the next movie
>heavy focus on characterization
>broke from superhero formula
>meta context of Jackman playing Wolverine so long made his state in this movie sadder
Take your pic.

We felt a connection to the characters after years of exposure.

Fox capeshit is good

It's a road trip movie not cape film.

It was a tragedy, something we haven't seen in a capeshit for a long time

eh... villain was beyond thin, x24 was retarded, plot decisions like stopping at the farm are fucking stupid, kids born to be killers who decide not to use their powers to the very last second is dumb

it was fun watching wolv and laura stab a bunch of people though.

being different doesn't mean its best ever

because it actually had heart and relatable characters. perfect balance of seriousness and humor when necessary.

It was a unique well-written self-contained story. It was also just far better made than most any other cape movie.

It was a heartfelt send off to a fan favorite character whose story ends in a logical manner that we know for sure won't get retconned away.

No doubt Wolverine will come back but it won't be the same character played by the same man.

I'd almost compare it to Ultimate Spider-man if Marvel hadn't gone full retard and spit on what was a good ending to his story

I get the feeling you didn't understand the point of this movie if those are your only complains.

Because we've had nothing but MCU movies since then

They cared. I had the feeling that Jackman would have done this movie for free if necessary.

>being different doesn't mean its best ever

I think that's my problem with it.

It's an outstanding movie, but people are acting like it's the second coming of Jesus because it's sad and violent and tragic.

I actually preferred The Wolverine, although just like with Logan, Mangold loves to have an absolutely retarded villain show up two thirds of the way through the movie (Silver Samurai, X-24).

I liked Logan.
I liked Xavier.
They made me like Laura.

You have to like the characters instead of just feeling sorry for them.

>edgy garbage is great when WE do it

Marvel everyone

Not an argument

Yeah I felt that too.
I'm still irked about X-24, but other than that and one or two minor minor complaints, I really loved it.
Maybe in my top 3 capeshits, certainly top 5.

Its fox you fucking moron

Because the last 10 years have set up really, really low standards for superhero films to the point a 7/10 movie like Logan can be a genre saving masterpiece when compared to everything else.

/thread

The farmhouse part of the film ruined it for me
>I know we're putting these people's lives at risk, Logan!
>But I want to teach you a lesson about family or whatever
>Logan grieves over Charles's death for thirty minutes
>Doesn't give a shit about the family killed directly because of his/Charles's actions

he deserved at least one good solo movie

Far better than most capeshit but I still had a lot of problems with it. X-24 is pretty lame in an otherwise very grounded and gritty movie. Having Wolverine fight a literal evil clone of himself felt quite silly and out of place. The bad child actors and silly powers in the final woods sequence also felt out of place. What should be a gruesome dramatic moment is made silly by a chubby little black kid comically breathing cgi ice at the screen.

But my biggest complaint is that Logan's character arc feels obligatory. Logan sacrificing himself for the young mutants is really a foregone conclusion. When the central plot is laid out did anyone really have any doubts as to how this was going to end? We all know that Logan is going to bring Laura to Dakota. We all know that in the end he is going to refuse the money. We all know he's going to run out and sacrifice himself to save those kids. Predictability isn't the worst sin a movie can make, but in a film that is so determined to be tragic and redemptive it is hard to give it full credit for something so obvious. We all know that Logan is a good person and the movie's repeated attempts to convince us of the contrary feel a bit disingenuous. His final decision to help the kids in the woods doesn't feel so much like a triumphant redemption as it does an unavoidable wrap-up.

I still give it massive points because it manages to make me care and connects emotionally, which is extremely rare with contemporary capeshit. I actually felt emotions at various points throughout the film, which is more than I can say for something like Dr. Strange.

Because they turned on him.

It wasn't but it's up there.

Because it takes its subject matter seriously and treats it with respect and dignity instead of constantly demonstratively rolling its eyes at its own story and characters while still expecting viewers to take it at face value.

Because it wasn't a cape movie when you think about it. It was a western that happened to have a superpowered protagonist.