An odd thought occurred to me. You see plenty of German Nazis in fiction...

An odd thought occurred to me. You see plenty of German Nazis in fiction. But I can't recall any Japanese Imperialist villains which seems odd.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0Kg_kzdLc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dr. Poison from Wonder Woman is usually an Imperial Japanese scientist.

Seriously? Wolverine has a bunch. And too.

Well we did nuke two of their cities.

What about Italian fascists?

You mean like...
youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0Kg_kzdLc

Italy kind of has a reputation of being crappy during the war and it didn't seem to commit as many of the atrocities as Japan or Germany did.

We want the villains to be somewhat intimidating

Nazis are seen as "closer to home" for Americans, even though we fought both in WWII. I'd be interested to know how often Imperial Japanese pop up as villains in Chinese and Korean media though.

Basically a less impressive version of Nazis in the eyes of the average. Plus a lot of them were (or at least are commonly perceived as having been) less overtly racist than the Germans, e.g. Mussolini liking jazz and many early Italian fascists being Jews.

The Japanese empire and Italian regime didn't kill a bunch of Jews.
Anything they did in WWII to the US and UK is kid stuff compared to that.
Or at least that's what the media and Hollywood want you to think.

Villains tend to look cool, and Nazis dressed cool

Also they weren't Asian

Names?

Many WW2-era superheroes slapped the jap. This is common knowledge.

Oh look, another Sup Forums thread

in western media or Sup Forums is allowed?

then again it's a japanese imperial that wants to nuke modern day tokyo because it's "too americanized" for his WWII tastes.

The Japanese were really common villains in the golden age, but I think they fell by the wayside because of fears of appearing racist

The Japs did a lot of fucked up shit however since we have great relations with them and they buy a large number of our products, companies are inclined to not piss them off as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure any remote mention of Japans and China's relationship in television/games/films and so on are instabanned in the country.

you're an idiot.

Why would you kill japs?

Only barely related, but I remember hearing a story once about an Italian American guy who was kind of an idiot going to Italy to visit family and ending up being drafted into the military at the beginning of the war. His brother back in the states was in the US Army and got deployed to Italy. Apparently these two guys were like a day away from facing each other in battle when the conflict ended.

Yeah I generally think of the Japanese as one of the greater nations, but they have this sort of hypocrisy where they whine on and on about the trauma of the bombings while refusing to acknowledge how much fucked up shit they did to their neighbors.

While the japanese didn't kill in the same numbers they did a bunch of horrifying stuff.
Look up unit 731.

We felt like the nukes were enough

I was just about to post this.
Unit 731 arguably were the most evil force in the period.

Which is why it's so surprising that unit 731 doesn't really seem to be that well known.

Because Imperialist Jap villains from the actual era tend to be seen as racist ass stereotypes that a lot of people are uncomfortable with.
I really wish Dr. Japanazi was a real real character though. He seems fun.

Many atrocities across the globe worse in scale and substance are overlooked simply because they seem too far away for the markets, or at least that's what the producers feel even when China has become Hollywood's lone Stool Leg.
Fuck, China would absolutely flip for a bash the Jap film.

>Female prisoners were forced to become pregnant for use in experiments. The hypothetical possibility of vertical transmission (from mother to fetus or child) of diseases, particularly syphilis, was the stated reason for the torture. Fetal survival and damage to mother's reproductive organs were objects of interest. Though "a large number of babies were born in captivity", there have been no accounts of any survivors of Unit 731, children included. It is suspected that the children of female prisoners were killed or the pregnancies terminated.
>"One of the former researchers I located told me that one day he had a human experiment scheduled, but there was still time to kill. So he and another unit member took the keys to the cells and opened one that housed a Chinese woman. One of the unit members raped her; the other member took the keys and opened another cell. There was a Chinese woman in there who had been used in a frostbite experiment. She had several fingers missing and her bones were black, with gangrene set in. He was about to rape her anyway, then he saw that her sex organ was festering, with pus oozing to the surface. He gave up the idea, left and locked the door, then later went on to his experimental work."

Sunfire in the X-Men was sort of an imperalist Japanese. I think he originally became a mutanr as a result of the Hiroshima bombing and sought revenge.

how hard would it to sell a John Rabe movie in hollywood?

sympathetic/heroic nazi saving chinese people in WWII from the imperial army.

having the nazi swastika be a "safe zone symbol" that sort of thing.

I guess it would make money in China but not anywhere else.

Money in China is starting to beat anywhere else.

But at the same time, China is becoming more restricted and less receptive to foreign films.

It's harder to make imperialist Japanese villians because unlike Hitler and moussolini, Hirohito lived and more or less became our puppet (we could vilify them all we wanted during the war, just not after). This is also why the Holocaust gets more exposure in Western media than Japanese atrocities (unit 731, concentration camps for philipinos, forced starvation in occupied vietnam, etc.)

>sympathetic/heroic nazi
People love Schindler's List.

what ifs about the nazis winning WWII is a thing in pop culture but I don't recall much about Japan winning WWII (outside that one family guy joke) but I do encounter weebs every once in a while saying they should've won and the world would be an otaku paradise.

the whole "your favorite anime never existing in the first place" never occurs to them.

Men are getting murdered left anf righy in the war and std ridden chink roasties getting "raped" is what sets you off?

The US rebuilt japan to make money and secure more of the ocean. It would be stupid to sink money into property while at the same time bad mouthing it's reputation.

The shit you read about in Gulag is far worse, especially since Solzy understood and wrote in depth the psychology behind the guards and the beatings. But it's not a contest, only a point that the Japs did heinous things but seem to get a free pass unlike the Germans.
Why do you have raped typed like "raped"?

>but I do encounter weebs every once in a while saying they should've won and the world would be an otaku paradise.
why
just why

>That one manga artist (Shigeru Mizuki) who actually went to World War II (and lost his dominant arm as a result) and got so fed up with revisionists and their bullshit that he made a manga aimed to educate future generations about how serious Japan's war crimes were

Because they have been feminising/stereotyping Asians and treating them like
asexual kungfu caricatures/comic relief. And conversely they have been portraying Asian women as dragon ladies/sluts who would sleep with literally anyone. It is still better than forcing Asian male characters into homosexual bottoms (See: Earth 2)

There has not been a strong Asian Male Villain in Western comics for a long time.
They (DC/Marvel) literally use Ninjas/Samurais as low-tier jobbers now (All the cool factor has been long gone) and the threat they pose have been comical at best (Wolverine for etc.).

I don't think any non-Asian has ever written an Asian Character with depth and adequate realism. It takes an Asian perspective to do that.

new super-man proves you right sadly.

Gene was born and raised in America

This. Even the main villain in the old 1943 Batman serial was an evil Jap. To say nothing of all of the "slap a Jap!"-tier propaganda cartoons and imagery.

Unlike Nazis, a lot of the evil shit Imperial Japan did got brushed over so it doesn't linger in the American public's consciousness in the same way as the Nazis do. Japanese warcrimes are completely glossed over, if they're taught at all, and it's become popular to put Japanese internment camps in the same tier of evil as the Holocaust these days.

There was a lot of them.
Problem is that they are now deemed incredibly racist.
Asian antagonists often are by today's standards.
Here is a Chinese Communist.

he said asian perspective. asian-american is close enough (like larry hama, another asian-american got to write convincing japanese stuff onto he gi joe comics he wrote).

>justifies woman and children getting slaughtered for shits and giggles
0/10

Most of those men you're worried about would've knocked you're fucking teeth in, you alt-right stooge. They went to fight and possibly lay down their lives for their countries., many of them doing so to prevent women and children being exposed to horrors like that.

If you don't understand the sense of duty they felt towards people who couldn't defend themselves, you're barely even human to begin with. Let alone a man.

When you're tortured so badly that you wish you were dead, I think it's worse, yeah

During WWII, the Japanese were especially cruel towards the Chinese because they fought the Japanese the longest and were the most tenacious.

Widespread massacres of the Chinese and non-combatants were common in Japanese-occupied areas.
In Singapore, it was the Sook Ching Massacre, where literally any Chinese with soft hand palms (Indicating literacy), spectacles/tattoos or are
contributors/donors to the Anti-Japanese war effort were sent to firing squads to be shot/bayoneted. The Alexandra Hospital massacre being
another instance of Japanese war-time brutality.

In China alone, there were many, many massacres (With Nanjing being the most well-known) and war-time atrocities (Liberal use of
chemical/biological weapons, rapes, theft, sadistic torture, wanton killings, acts of debauchery and brutality), with Unit 731 and comfort women
(White/Southeast Asian/Chinese/Korean/Eurasian/Indian) being popular examples.
Outside of China alone, there was the Death railway, Bataan Death March, the Manila Massacre, the Kalagong Massacre and the mass forced
slavery of POWs/Civilies.

And I am not even going into detail about the 憲兵隊/Kempeitai/Imperial Japan's secret police.

Sup Forums and Stormniggers would argue that it is good that the 'chinks' are murdered and it is a simplistic dehumanising perspective.
But it should be noted that even the Nazi Germans/Foreign diplomats in China at the time were absolutely horrified by the extent of atrocities
inflicted upon the Chinese by the Japanese.

Cause they're ugly. Your pic related.

I think there was one in production years ago. No idea what happened to it. Look up Good Man Of Nanking.

Gene is able to write Asian characters without the BS stereotypes
because he understands the Asian community and is part of it.

Japanese market. Germans will still watch Nazi villain movies, Japanese will claim it's propaganda because they're all "innocent victims of the war"

there should be more radioactive-themed Japanese Imperialist super-villains.

It's a shame that things have to be sanitized for the international market and turned into bland and inoffensive paste.

I know China is a big influence on the movie market but I didn't think Japan was that big a buyer of western comic books (except maybe Donald the Duck and Disney stuff.)

>it's a Japanese war atrocities thread

Nazi holocaust shit is bad, but the Japanese were on another level. This shit always makes me squeamish.

Atomic Robo had an arc or two about a bunch of pissed of Japanese WW2 guys out for revenge.

Thing is it's easy to vilify the Nazi's on account of the whole you know what, but with Japan well, I mean pearl harbor was bad, but they got it worse in the long run. It's like kicking a one legged puppy

also lefties like to say internment was like a japanese shoah

source

>what is the rape of Nanking
>what is the Bataan death march
>what is the entire POW system in imperial Japan
>what is Pearl Harbor
How dumb do you think we are, nigger?

It's so hard to top Godzilla nobody even tries

Only trolls say anything was like a shoah. Most lefties have never even heard of the word

nigga shoah is used all the time in lefty holohoax books. (((eli wiesel))) even wrote a book called shoah

Only tangentially Sup Forums, but Red Sun from Freedom Force games.

Japanese internment camps where a bad thing but dont cancel out the evil that imperial japan committed.

>trauma of the bombings
Literally the only people who mention those are Americans?

He's not a lefty he's a con artist, just like Alister Crowley

Uhhh, Italy literally spent the entire war massacring African villages with gas bombs.

Technically Sup Forumsish but, the Ip Man movies have a bit of that going on, at least the first.

>China would absolutely flip for a bash the Jap film.
China puts those out all the time.
They're not something that would be translated because the Chinks are unabashedly racist, hyprenationalist and don't give a flying fuck about any atrocities beyond an excuse to glorify killing their enemies.
Do you know what they actually hate about the Japs?
Them winning over them in warfare. That's about it, and even then they're far more butthurt about the opium wars. Nanking is something Americant's focus on.

>Nazis have a much more recognizable aesthetic
>Nazi high command provides a ready made selection of both comical and threatening villains
>Nazi superscience/Nazi occultism tropes make them readily suitable for fantastical stories, provide ready made justification for moving them to the present day

Why is there no Jap superscience made from their experiments?

Do biological weapons count as superscience?

>Nazi holocaust shit is bad, but the Japanese were on another level.
This is just regular Dem propaganda now that Japan has become a shining beacon of a homogeneous society.
You can tell by how 99% of the time when they're brought up they're overplayed ("worse than the Holocaust") and most often used as some kind of reparations and refugees defense. (ignoring that everyone but the Chinese have had massive reparations from them and that the Chinese haven't only because they think they can wriggle land and sea rights out of it)

>yfw you see a jap unslapped

Superman would be ashamed.

Watched that months ago.
Was pretty jarring yet intriguing
that the first act is light hearted and whimsical,
then takes an abrupt melancholic 180 with Japan suddenly occupying with no build up.

You're forgetting the fact that the Jew fears the Samurai.

They literally don't give a fuck what filthy gaijins think about them.

It's the pig iron that really does it.

I thought the Ip Man movies were hilarious. They used "dumbass musclebound egotistical Brit" as their stand in for """the West""", as if Brits have been anything other than pussy faggots.

I could see the guy being Irish, or American, but being British was fucking hilarious.

Only if it creates zombies or something.

>I'd be interested to know how often Imperial Japanese pop up as villains in Chinese and Korean media though.
In that Ip Man movie, the secondary villain looks like an actual propaganda poster when he sneers. Round glasses and everything.

There were Jewish Italian fascists, Mussolinis only mistake was buddying up to Hitler

Retarded things happen in the Italian Army quite a bit.

U Wot M8?

It was set in Hong Kong, what'd you expect?

There are a lot of reasons for that. Nazi's are more entertaining. They had elements of super science and occultism and they just look like real cool evil villains. There used to be some Japanese Imperial villains but a lot of them were built on racist stereotypes so a lot of people don't want to use them or create anything similar anymore for that reason. Japan tends to get painted as a victim a lot as well since they got nuked, and aside from Pearl Harbor most of the worst atrocities committed by the Japanese are also far less known than anything the Nazis did so a lot of people see them as more sympathetic and less hateable. Also Japan unlike Germany haven't completely turned on those parts of their history and will actually bitch about being portrayed as villains despite being almost as bad at the time.

Prince Daka from that Batman serial showed up in Roy Thomas's All-Star Squadron alongside Sumo the Samurai and Tsunami.

>actual Japanese WW2 superscience shit: submarine aircraft carriers and death rays
>actual German WW2 superscience shit: trying to stick a battleship cannon on a tank and building a rocket plane out of balsa wood

You introduce an exceptionally shitty jet three months before the Brits introduce an exponentially superior jet and suddenly you're Aryan SCIENCE! gods.

Dunno, maybe feeling guilty for the atom bombs.

He said atrocities. Not services to the human race.

>I don't think any non-Asian has ever written an Asian Character with depth and adequate realism. It takes an Asian perspective to do that.

Fun thing is, book by Korean author because his American-Korean characters weren’t Asian enough. Go figure.

What about Spanish fascists? They are the ones who managed to prevail over all the other forms of fascism in Europe.

Nobody cares about them until they start climbing the wall.

>the wall
You do know that Spain isn't Mexico, right?

As a fun historical fun, the main reason Spain didn't stay isolated from Europe as the UN had decreed due to their wishes of suffocating fascism without going to war was because the US pulled some strings for them because General Francisco Franco, Spain's dictator at the time, would be of use to fight commies.

Yeah I noticed this too. It's because Nazis are viewed as the SAFE bad guy and Japanese are viewed as the racist bad guys. It's shitty and fucked up consider how evil some of the Japs were.

>You do know that Spain isn't Mexico, right?
I was pretending to be an ignorant American for comedic purposes.

Oh, shit. Guess I was the retard here; sorry.

Nah, it was a poorly constructed joke.

No, no, that was before the Second World War.