How does Sup Forums feel about Jazz considering a good chunk of you have a hard on for classical music?

How does Sup Forums feel about Jazz considering a good chunk of you have a hard on for classical music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IWOvT45Du-s
youtube.com/watch?v=09qbhwcpA6A
youtube.com/watch?v=r0LKiFTIEv4
youtube.com/watch?v=aVIA1n5ng4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=li01wfIhMfY
youtube.com/watch?v=asJKO8HMsBc&list=PLFp4ZT0HhX0ARelPMdPs_h6EB4csK4UXb
youtube.com/watch?v=U22fQSF9TLE
youtube.com/watch?v=A_kmp1ABelQ
youtube.com/watch?v=irBb5c8CImU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>a good chunk of you have a hard on for classical music

>falling for the concerto jew

I love jazz and classical music
t. jazz pianist/bassist

Jazz is incoherent crap. It's not even music. Everyone who pretends to like it is a pretentious moron.

America as fuck.

Daily reminder all the Jazzophiles hate when they get reminded it was Americans who created it all.

I like it. One of the best bullshit classes I had to take in college was a music course and it was jazz history. Really fun and great professor. I'd like to learn how to play the saxophone but I'm 27 and never really learned how to play instruments. Link related one of my favorite, Mingus.
youtube.com/watch?v=IWOvT45Du-s

I love both.

Black people have made some of the worst (hiphop) and some of the best (jazz) music in the world. It confuses the hell out of me.

some of it can be listenable at times briefly but the negro eventually comes through showing its limited imagination and creativity

pic related for instance has some likeable melodies but when you listen carefully for real inventive genius you instead find you get cacophony and the frustrated grunts of the black brain.

Wayne Shorter may be the best of the negro jazz artists.

for the most part though i can't take jazz in long large doses. Its just really not such tremendous music.

>Mingus

My nigga.

Who's that girl by the way?

It's good but a lot of the more avant-garde stuff is deplorable
>"dude the rules of music don't matter lmao"

>implying Funk isn't the best thing to come out of African American music

James Brown is a God.

youtube.com/watch?v=09qbhwcpA6A

Mick Jagger said the worst mistake of his entire career was playing him.

Jazz is great.

Listen to Bill Evans. If you can't get into that, you are a massive pleb and should stop listening to music.
Also, he's white.

truth

this

jazz is like classical music for niggers who don't actually know how to write or play music

as a self trained amateur jazz musician (played classical since child), gotta say it's really a natural extension of classical. Obviously, the theory used is primarily the same, but I find while jazz uses mostly 4 note chords dominantly, 3 note chords and idioms of classical to be much more mysterious. Currently looking into Bruckner and Hindemith. Some of my personal favs in jazz are Bill Evans and Barry Harris.

Emily Barry, m8.
youtube.com/watch?v=r0LKiFTIEv4

>but the negro eventually comes through showing its limited imagination and creativity

oh c'mon you don't need to be smart to be a tremendously creative and skilled musician, a low iq race like blacks still makes some great music from time to time. For the same reason that I like south Asian food, I listen to jazz music. There is no shame in enjoying the good parts of the cultural output of different races.

seriously sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this board. Americans on here think you need to be listening to gregorian chants and jerk it off to roman busts all day to be a True White(TM)

Negros have no high culture.

Niggers used to make good music. If they were still slaves, maybe they would still have enough fucking discipline to learn an instrument. I mean, they are naturally gifted. Negro spirituals and the old fingerstyle, Delta blues guitarists were dripping with sweet American grit and creativity.

try east coast hip hop/jazz hop, etc., sempai. A Tribe Called Quest, Frank Ocean, Nujabes to an extent. You'll probably like it a lot more than nigger rap

this pretty much. if you're just doing random shit and calling it noise/wave/post/art what the fuck ever, you're bad at music.

Also, on (OP), A Love Supreme is one of the best religious songs of all time, and I'm an atheist.

>Barry Harris
MY NIGGA

As a Berklee Grad (Guitarist), black people have not influenced me as much as Jim Hall, and the great George Van Eps

>Delta blues guitarists were dripping with sweet American grit and creativity.
Very true.
youtube.com/watch?v=aVIA1n5ng4Y

I don't listen to nigger bullshit.

Chopin only. Objectively superior.

>Jazz is incoherent

some like Coltrane is very good. some other is like you say, "incoherent". sometimes, they try too hard to be random, and randomness becomes noise.

but jazz that isn't trying too hard is good.

>Jazz
>liberal baby boomer; the music

Anyone who claims to enjoy this garbage is a delusional hipster

yeah man, i watched his youtube videos from the 90's. extrapolated as much knowledge as i could, and now i'm playing better than most niggaz

I too went to Berklee '09

That guy knows his shit lmfao. I dont have the technique to make use of any of it though, just started playing jazz like 6 months ago

>implying anyone cares who influenced you

A lot of people have a bad image of jazz because their first jazz album is a terrible choice.

>Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
>Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

I'm going to take a wild guess that one of those 4 albums was the first jazz album you ever heard.
And you probably thought it was fucking terrible. Because all of those are really really challenging albums and awful introductions to jazz as a whole.

I recommend listening to some of the easier stuff, like
>Bill Evans
>Keith Jarrett
>pretty much any Blue Note album before 1965

If you can't get into this album, jazz probably isn't for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=li01wfIhMfY

this nigger speaks the truth

>classical
>literal pretentious hipster, the music

Anyone who claims to enjoy this garbage is a delusional hipster
Just because you dont understand complex musical structure doesnt mean its bad fella

Even high-brow hiphop does nothing for me. I have given the genre a chance multiple times. It just does absolutely nothing to me. Not even "jazz hop", which is funny because I love love love jazz.

I have concluded that the format of hiphop is just not for me.

As for your suggestions: I could never get into ATCQ. Nujabes is enjoyable muzak. Frank Ocean's music generally annoys the hell out of me, it is just too unfocused and all over the place. Especially that last album of his.

>the plebian bs in these comments

>tfw to smart to even explain gud jazz to u n00bs

not a political thread

This is true. Also that faggot who said Bill Evans is also true. Bill and Art Tatum are the only worthwhile jazzmen. Rest are all niggers, even the white ones.
t. Classicalfag

Black music was legendary til HipHop came.

RIP
1870s-1970s

Miles Davis, Biches Brew. Nothin better. Except for pic related, he's better. But no one else. OTHER THAN TOOL. THEY ARE BETTER. Better than Miles, not Beethoven.

>Everyone who pretends to like it is a pretentious moron.
This. I can't listen to it for more than 5 seconds without becoming dull. It's literally a scam.

Fusion is more my style. The timbre of traditional jazz hurts my ears sometimes, all those horns/clanky upright basses.

youtube.com/watch?v=asJKO8HMsBc&list=PLFp4ZT0HhX0ARelPMdPs_h6EB4csK4UXb

>he thinks Chopin is the pinnacle of western art music

>im musically illiterate, the post

I'm pretty sure whatever German music is called is much worse.

You've got a tumor bud.

FUCKING RARE
R
A
R
E
R
A
R
E

NEVER MIND, TOOL IS JAZZ, THEY ARE THE BEST JAZZ. TOOL IS THE FUCKING BEST JAZZ.

it's pretty much what jazz is senpai!

>Just because you dont understand complex musical structure doesnt mean its bad fella
> complex musical structure
If i scribble on a piece of paper and tell you they are complex equations, would you think i was retarded? Because you sound (and i hate to use this word) pretty retarded.

Check out Shades of Blue.

In the Stones Throw documentary there was a local jazz figure in the west coast whose name I forgot, anyway he was played a section madlib's album and thought it was a legitimite jazz record and was comepletly mindblown that a hiphop producer could produce such a record.

youtube.com/watch?v=U22fQSF9TLE

Getting started on the saxophone is comparatively easy, if you have a good teacher. With practice you can start playing simple tunes very soon

youtube.com/watch?v=A_kmp1ABelQ

>TOOL good
>TOOL better than based Beethoven

N E W
E
W

Coltrane is based.

>kind of blue was my first album
LOL so fucking true.

nah, u get gud fast, as long as you're looking at the music, and trying to arrange your own fancy shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=irBb5c8CImU

i picked up jazz about a year ago, and this is about the culmination of where I am now. i feel quite dissatisfied. listening to barry, I feel so distant, yet i know i can get there.

Most people find most classical musicinstinctively beautiful. That is why it is used so frequently in movies. It is a "genre" that is obsessed with aesthetics.

unrelated but My pet peeve is that it should be called western art music, because classical is a misnomer and initially covered only the period of time between 1750 and 1820

>classical
>liberal hipster
the sheer amount of whiteness is an instant turn off for the feeble leftists.

Saw him live. Good times.

Also, his commentary in Ken Burns' Jazz makes it worth watching.
The man genuinely loves jazz.

Shitty rhetoric doesn't work here. If you can't appreciate the music that's fine, but trying to make a compelling argument as to why you may think genre may not have any merit is laughable when you clearly have very little knowledge/understanding of the history of jazz or even musical structure/composition, as evident by your post history.

If i scribble complex equations on a paper and they are indeed complex equations, and you thought they were scribbles, I wouldnt think you were retarded. Id just think you were uneducated in the discipline as you seem to be about music.

agreed

>Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
>Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

those four albums are always listed in 'intro to jazz lists' and I cringe everytime. It would be such a challenging and downright offputting intro to jazz to listen to those four albums first.

I was posting ironically fgt

Sunday at vanguard is top notch shit. Scott LaFarro is the best bassist ever.

Upright player here

>If you can't appreciate the music that's fine, but trying to make a compelling argument as to why you may think genre may not have any merit is laughable when you clearly have very little knowledge/understanding of the history of jazz or even musical structure/composition, as evident by your post history.
Nigger, this is Sup Forums. Go back to Sup Forums faggot and rave about your shitty (((Jazz))) over there.

and you know what, it really is not even that complex. It's just a head (a paragraph) followed by an outlindd progression that you can use to impress some dumb pussy. Innovation in jazz died a little after bebop was introduced.

I like jazz. King is fun to listen to.

Blow it out your ass, nigger faggot. Go back to your Islamic chants.