Do you think that maybe the reason Aquaman has been historically regarded as a lame superhero by the general public is...

Do you think that maybe the reason Aquaman has been historically regarded as a lame superhero by the general public is because the name "Aquaman" is pretty lame sounding?

If he had been named "The Atlantean" or something, do you think he would have been more popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zkOnukhQyg4
seanbaby.com/superfriends/aquaman.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I blame the super friends cartoon.

Everything about him is lame. Is Aquaman anyone's favorite superhero?

Only people who surf and participate in gay pride parades.

The name Aquaman is no more or less inherently stupid than something like Batman. Him being on Superfriends and being basically drawn like Fred from Scooby Doo in tights ruined his reputation.

He's having the best sries in Rebirth

Hey he may not be my favorite but he is fucking cool. I blame Seth McFarlane for the general consensus of him being "lame". Let me guess, never actually read a comic let alone Aquaman comic before?

Yeah

>I blame Seth McFarlane for the general consensus of him being "lame".

That's fucking horseshit. By the time Aquaman was being made fun of on Family Guy for being useless it was already the late 00's. I remembered waaaaay too many people were claiming Aquaman was lame as far back as the early 00's (anyone remember Seanbaby?) By the time Family Guy got around to it, it was a dated joke.

alright that's cute

I just hate underwater-based heroes. Underwater settings in general make me uncomfortable for some reason.
And before any of you suggest that, no, I'm not that autist who can't shut up about Namor

Yes, mine.

>early 00's
Newsflash retard, Family Guy was 1999. Seth made an Aquaman joke during season 2 and it spread like wildfire. Seth Green made things worse by having one every other episode of Robot Chicken.

Yeah "Aquaman" is pretty shitty compared to "The Sub-Mariner". But Namor is superior to this original character do not steal in every other way as well.

Superfriends cartoon pretty much singlehandedly did this. Modern gaffes just hearken back to his side-role in that because Aquaman's camp was always shit like water puns or "talking to fish" as a deus ex machina and wasn't the same as Supes / WW / Batman camp.

And go figure Aquaman's villains were never as compelling as people like Lex or the Joker. It took a while for someone to start writing Black Manta as an incredible badass for Manta to really come into his own. Even then, Manta is just a man (and that's part of his draw) out for vengeance against what should by a superior opponent in nearly every regard.

New 52 and Rebirth just take the whole "you don't know Aquaman" shit and run with it. Abnett is a good writer, although I don't agree with him all the time. Aquaman has probably spent at least half of his time from New 52 to current just dealing with random Atlantis shit that occasionally impacts the surface, and for a lot of people that's just not compelling if you're not into Atlantis.

It is galling that Atlantis gets written like this rogue state superpower with the ability to flood every coastal city in the world at once and nuke everyone with Atlantean-tech plasma weapons or some shit. You would think that a civilization (read: effectively one large city underwater) that has gone to great lengths to remain hidden for presumably thousands of years wouldn't be ready to initiate global war at the drop of a hat.

Lastly, Arthur Curry as a character is just not that compelling. His most "heroic" conflict is he's supposed to be this political bridge between the surface and Atlantis. Again, if you don't give a fuck about Atlantis, you're not going to care about his primary struggle in trying to get two civilizations to see eye-to-eye. It'd be like if Wonder Woman spent about 50% of her book on Themyscria.

Even fucking Seinfeld made fun of Aquaman

He's lame because he's on the Justice League, who have most of their adventures on dry land. He'd be considered more useful if they had more fights by the sea.

Namor would have the same problem if he couldn't fly. It makes him have a more versatile powerset.

You mean superfriends

You're wrong the Aquaman is lame jokes have been around long before Family Guy was a thing, and are you really going to bitch and claim Family Guy is a 90s show, it had one year in the 90s for all intensive purposes it is a 2000s show

Namor was also the most powerful Invader, in fact he was likely the most powerful superhuman of WW2.

Aquaman on the other hand has often been the least powerful member of the Justice League who wasn't just a vigilante in a costume.

>Aquaman on the other hand has often been the least powerful member of the Justice League

water heroes are weak to lighting and ice, they lame af

This isn't pokemon, wtf.

>Do you think that maybe the reason Aquaman has been historically regarded as a lame superhero by the general public is because the name "Aquaman" is pretty lame sounding?
People think Aquaman is lame because they erroneously believed that his only Superpower is to breathe underwater.

And talk to fish, people love to laugh at that.

>TL;DR I'm a facebook casual who never read any comic books besides Hush.

It's like if people thought Wonder Woman was lame because her only power is to twirl a rope.

At least you have an idea who he is with that name. An eight-year-old will have trouble determining what "sub mariner" even means

Do people even call Namor Submariner? They usually just call him Namor. It's usually the autistic villains who call him THE Submariner

Why the fuck wouldn't you be into Atlantis if you're reading Aquaman?

People still believe that she loses her powers if she's tied up.

not that user and not a WW fan but WW's power is pretty inconsistent. Like she's super durable but she's vulnerable to penetrative things like bullets right?

Me in the bottom right

I believe that was the idea.

Do you guys think Arthur should get his Hydrokinesis with his trident or is it redundant since Mera is usually with him these days also because he has WW level strength now.

Maybe he should get called underwaterman

I thought the trident could already do that?

Pre-Flashpoint it did and weather manipulation as well iirc but post FP it's just really strong, it was able to pierce Darkseid but besides that it doesn't have any properties. Orm's Trident thing had Hydrokinesis then Arthur broke it.

I think it's from that comic panel where he talks to a turtle, gets it wrong, but still swims away anyway.

Johns changed it to forcing aquatic bio life although Abnett changed it back to talking. It used to be in Pre-FP if Arthur forced the fishes they hated the shit out of him, lmao.

It's a combination of things, but mostly I blame his design. Is there any character dressed in orange and green who's more popular than him?

His new52 design was pretty tight, shame he reverted to crew neck orange shirt.

I wish they'd kept his New52 costume and just given him the hair and beard he has right now

Aquaman's history is a constant struggle to get rid of his Super Friends image, something I hope the upcoming film can finally do.

If not, at least he's still more popular than Namor.

It's cause he had nothing BUT superfriends.
EVERYONE was silly in that show, but Superman had other cartoons and movies, same for Batman. Even Wonder Woman had a tv series.

All Aquaman had was a silly cartoon where he rides a giant seahorse and never leaves the ocean cause they wanted to keep using his fish telepathy powers.

And so that all people would say or joke about. Cause there wasn't enough else to go by until like 00s with a few JusticeLeague episodes that were far too few.

no because followed to it's logical conclusion he would be an antagonist eco-terrorist because the oceans are polluted by capitalism. logically he'd be more allied with swamp-thing and poison ivy than the JLA

Because they didn't see him punching Superman's lights out in Throne of Atlantis

Not to mention dominating Wonderwoman and Batman

Fish Superman, basically.

The art on his books are excellent but I'd never actually read an Aquaman comic. That would require me giving a fuck about Aquaman beyond ridiculing him

>yet another plot about him losing the throne
"hey guys look at me, I'm retarded"

holy crap! Aquaman just beat up two civilians? what a powerhouse

I still find it hard to believe out of the JLA that Aqua Man is considered the joke when you have Cyborg and Green Arrow.

Maybe, but trying to make him less of a superhero and more of a generic king triton figure is always the worst parts of Aquaman.
Yes.

It's because they keep trying to play the whole thing straight and too serious.

King of Atlantis, talks to fish, wears bright orange and green. This is not something that needs to be taken seriously, it's something that needs to embrace how silly it is and have fun with it.

Case in point, the Brave and the Bold, in which Aquaman was definitively the best thing about the whole show. Why? Because he was this big, goofy caricature of a superhero and it was enjoyable as fuck. Yet even then, he still managed to be badass, and it was just a delight to watch him work because he loved what he was doing so much.

TL;DR He doesn't need to be serious, he needs to be OUTRAGEOUS!

This seems to be a general problem with DC books today.
Even stupid concepts has to be dark and gritty.

So for him to not be seen as a joke he should be portrayed more as a joke?

It's true though, in many animated series there hasn't been a chance for Aquaman to show his powers, and when he does he only uses support like summon waves or certain aquatic species.

>joke
You know what was funny? When his hand got sliced off.

Bull.
S:TAS Aquaman was strong as Superman.
JLU Aquaman was badass.
BTBAB aquaman was outrageous.

One would think she would be like a superhuman but with some god-like traits, but she only ever shows "stock" powers like super strenght, velocity, stamina, etc.Don't forget the tools

>even a weakened and exhausted Aquaman is stronger than some of the strongest athletes.

They sorta had momoa channel that. It felt forced. Outrageous only works in stuff like btb, where the whole setting is in that direction.

>the strongest athletes just hang out at the docks, smoking, drinking and picking on divers

Your answer wasn't emotionally charged so you couldn't be Namorfag.

Not a joke. Jubilant. When Aquaman needed to be serious in BtBatB he was. One of the best moments in the show was Aquaman’s “Where there’s life there’s always hope” speech.

Aquaman really worked in the Brave and the Bold because he was a larger than life character who liked his job (being a superhero).

It could be worse.

AT LEAST he isn't a canonically retarded villain whose only role is to be a tool of soap-opera drama because Marvel women have a thing for unstable, violent, dumb man.

this is why aquaman is bad. his fans consider beating up two dockside boys to be some sort of impressive feat

Most people who shit on Aquaman know very little about him. Arthur is one of my favorite heroes, and I want that Johns omnibus (whenever the hell that gets released)

This is literally the only answer. Superfriends is the only mass-pop-culture exposure most people have had to the character.

If that Smallville spinoff show for him had actually gotten greenlit, I think people would have a different opinion of the guy, because it'd have at least been SOMETHING.

The blame is in his costume.Orange is a shitty color.

Can you not read? The narration is saying that even exhausted Aquaman still has more strength in his arms than most weightlifters.

>The Joke Aquaman sells more than the serious Black Bolt, Namor and Dr. Doom
Why is that?

You guys think people would like Aquaman more if he was violent, unstable, murderous and was always involved in soap-opera?

>Seth made an Aquaman joke during season 2

How fucking dense are you? This was the Season 2 Aquaman appearance:

youtube.com/watch?v=zkOnukhQyg4

They didn't make fun of him in that one. Way to fuck up your own argument.

no i think is mostly because the aquaman everybody remember is the one from the superfriends,and he was kind of lame

I always thought the issue was that he hangs out with the JLA. Everyone on that team can do what he does better.
>They are almost all stronger, faster, and more durable than him
>most of them can fly
>Most are smarter than him
>J'onn can command more than fish
>does not fight as well as Batman
>never ever makes any use of his resources
>he can die if he is out of water for too long makes him more of a liability

Even Batman's garage full of gadgets and metahuman retard aura makes him more helpful. Aquaman just does not really bring anything that helps him out because he is on a team of man-gods with massive lists of powers or bullshit gadgets.

If he were on a lesser team with lower powerlevels he might not stand out as the useless joke member nearly as much.

You still say that like it's impressive.

I like how Colun Rath is basically Namor, with his violent, unstable, dumb ways.

seanbaby.com/superfriends/aquaman.htm

this page was up before Family Guy, plus Cartoon Newtwork was shitting on him as a pointless superfriend in 96

You can say the same about Luke Cage or Spider-Man or Captain America or Hawkeye or Black Widow in the Avengers.

>Family Guy was 1999 so it's not 00's
>Seth made an Aquaman joke in season 2
>Season 2 was 2000

What did he mean by this?

It is.