Armond White Review: "Zack Snyders Masterpiece"

>Zack Snyder compiles his greatest hits and our era’s greatest hopes in a masterpiece that is nonetheless imperfect.

>Our culture has lost appreciation for the true aesthetics of cinema, which suffer from competition with inferior forms: television, video games, even comic books themselves with their two-dimensional limitations. This disaster is compounded by Hollywood’s commitment to superhero movies that manipulate the ready-made comic-book audience by appealing to its shallowest adolescent instincts. The Christopher Nolan Batman films, with their pseudo-profound nihilism, were destructive enough. An even worse influence was the Marvel Universe films that lacked artistry. Ironically, Marvel movies also refused the seriousness that Nolan had faked — a feat of such capitalist cunning that it flattered consumers’ egos. Plus, those Nolan and Marvel films were all poorly made. Zack Snyder’s audacity in creating a comic-book movie renaissance (which began with the complex, ambitious Watchmen) has inspired philistine resentment from reviewers and fanboys who don’t want cinema.

nationalreview.com/article/453824/justice-league-triumphs-zack-snyder-masterpiece

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Od_hmJp76mY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_deity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armond_White
youtube.com/watch?v=1pIh0k7dSEM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Ctrl+f "Whedon"
>2 hits
Ah yes, definitely still the contrarion

Armond does this on purpose.

Contrary any who is black has surname "White".

Pottery.

>Plus, those Nolan and Marvel films were all poorly made. Zack Snyder’s audacity in creating a comic-book movie renaissance (which began with the complex, ambitious Watchmen) has inspired philistine resentment from reviewers and fanboys who don’t want cinema.
The amount of delusion here is staggering.
Especially if this guy is supposed to be a professional.

Better than nothing.

No, nothing would be less disappointing.

KING OF Sup Forums

God bless you Armond White.

Le contrarian black white man

Fuck you fucking racist

Wait this dude is black?
Goddammit, these assholes are constantly trying to make me hate my own race.

Arnold is honorary white men

He is a practiced contrarian. Go and read his review of BvS.

He and Chris Chan's brother are 2 of the 4 critics who have Toy Story 3 a bad review.

>half of the review is shitting on other movies and the general audience, instead of arguing why this one is good
He's a true Snyderfag.

Our favorite contrarian.

This gay nagger is the only thing worth reading on National Kikeview.

No wonder he's such a terrible person.

>zack snyder masterpiece
>when its obvious they fucking did everything they could to unsnyder the movie
Armond pls

>Marvel movies also refused the seriousness that Nolan had faked
>a feat of such capitalist cunning that it flattered consumers’ egos
Is this really in the review?

>trashing nolan while defending snyder
kek

Honestly, if many of Zack Snyder's scenes hadn't been deleted and the movie hadn't been completely re-worked by Whedon, it would have probably been much better.

I feel sad, look at this video wih all the pre-release deleted scenes and tell me Snyder's originsl vision for this movie didn't look much better than what we got and more in line with MoS and BvS.

youtu.be/Od_hmJp76mY

>From Steppenwolf’s towering horned malevolence (modeled on Tim Curry’s Darkness in Ridley Scott’s 1982 Legend) to the diluvian sequence that introduces Momoa’s voluptuous Aquaman, Snyder uses the superhero form to evoke our culturally established dreams, myths, and hope. Against all unrelenting studio and media efforts to arrest cinema as juvenile pastime, Snyder exults in its adult spirituality, sensuality, and kinetic intensity; he urges that we keep cinema moving.

Armond White's reviews are worth reading if only for the inevitable sentence that just spins into a car wreck.

>villain has horns
>the water guy makes it rain because Noah or whatever fuck you
>MASTERFUL ADULT SPIRITUALITY

Is there any line referencing the Whedon reshoots as if it was made by Snyder? I mean any line of a scene with CGI clark being credited to Zack's greatness, it would be funny if he dad but in reality Joss Whedon made those reshoots.

Does White really believe the things he is writing or is he just doing this for fame and a paycheck?

>From Steppenwolf’s towering horned malevolence (modeled on Tim Curry’s Darkness in Ridley Scott’s 1982 Legend)...uses the superhero form to evoke our culturally established dreams, myths, and hope.
What the fuck does that even have to do with anything? How do these two parts even connect?

He's right Toy Story 3 is garbage

Toy Story 3 is a bad movie, though. It's soulless and made to play on nostalgia.

>"It’s pure Zack Snyder — Justice League features the year’s best action sequences since Zhang Yimou’s The Great Wall and Luc Besson’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets."

You tell'em.

Why on dog's plastic earth would you want ANYTHING cinematic that's more "in line" with MoS and BvS? MoS was mostly just disappointing, with a couple of screeching miscues, but BvS was shit in a pressed-shit cone with shit-and-corn sprinkles on top.

Whedon's role was much like that guy who gets brought in when a video game's development isn't going well, to say "look, what's the minimum we need to do to get a product out the door that will probably make more money than we've already spent on this turkey?" And then slaps together whatever is needed without much care and shoves the resultant product out the door. It's not great, doesn't completely work and probably won't be well-remembered, but it brings in enough revenue to be worthwhile from a financial perspective, because development was truncated toward release.

You wish Daquan

It's a good sendoff. The plot was solid for a kids movie and the animation was nice, the nostalgia pandering was on line with the intention of giving the franchise a final chapter.
Stand alone is a not very good movie, but it delivers what it oughts to do.

And then they go and make Toy Story 4...

Based Armond

I'm sorry friend, you should've known by now that saying BvS is shit and MoS is disappointing gets your opinion immediately discarded by any sane person. Go back to your "fun" Marvel movie #24859 in which the director's name doesn't matter.

>The Christopher Nolan Batman films, with their pseudo-profound nihilism, were destructive enough. An even worse influence was the Marvel Universe films that lacked artistry.

I cannot believe this. He's just too smart. I didn't think it was possible. Why aren't all critics like him?

I mean I did hear the action scenes in Valerian were really fun to watch.

it's just that literally everything else around them sucked.

>Nolan batman films with their pseudo-profound nihilism.

It's almost as though he forgot that the Joker was the bad guy and his ideology gets disproved within the movie itself when people ultimately don't act as he expects them to (Dent aside)

>An even worse influence was the Marvel Universe films that lacked artistry. Ironically, Marvel movies also refused the seriousness that Nolan had faked — a feat of such capitalist cunning that it flattered consumers’ egos.
I'm bookingmarking this page.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_deity

Critics have no concrete job but telling people what they want to hear. People like Disney's tasteless, depthless, assembly-line dreck, so they praise it constantly because rocking the boat means less views, which means less money.

>Watchmen was bad
>Mos was bad
>BvS was bad
>if whedon wasn't involved, it'd have been better
Highly unlikely. I can only imagine how much worse it'd be as pure Snyder.

It's just a shame the Joker was the most memorable character and the one so many autists latched onto afterwards. It's sort of a failure for a movie to have people want to be the guy the movie proves to be wrong, but it happens all the time, like with Tony Montana or Walter White.
And it's not just that people are dumb, it's also the movie failing to make people think what it wants them to think. They made the Joker way cooler than Batman, and I say that as someone who does hate this "pseudo-profound nihilis[tic]" Joker, after that you can go on and on about how it's a bad idea to be like him you're just wasting your time.
It's like if you made an entire movie about a cartoon cigarette saving the day heroically but ended with "smoking kills" and thought that was a good anti-tobacco PSA.

Or the fact they fucking brought Nolan as producer and Snyder himself as director in MoS to make their entire cinematic universe like the Dark Knight trilogy.

But it is. Or at least for me, I can't stand Joss Whedon and his 3 quips every line of dialog Whedon.

At least with Snyder you could shut down your brain, admire the meme shots and have some enjoyment out of the characters punching eachother, characterization and storytelling be damned but I'm certainly not watching a cape movie looking for a profound plot.

He had a brother?

A lot of people might think Armond White is trolling, but he's actually just retarded.

El Hermano

>Plus, those Nolan and Marvel films were all poorly made.
It's almost disturbing how completely someone could rough draft his stale brand of hyperbole contrarianism to me a day or two ago, and it show up even more rife with trite deflections to puff up the opinion as "against the grain and therefore smarter".
>Zack Snyder’s audacity in creating a comic-book movie renaissance (which began with the complex, ambitious Watchmen)
It began with 300, you dullard, and like with Watchmen all ambition there was the result of riding the coattails of the prior artist's vision and efforts.
Once Snyder and Goyer were given more creative control and nothing to hide behind their own creative bankruptcy became increasingly obvious.

Thank god, you guys can have him.

lol this guy is contrarian to the point of parody

>Armond White
I thought he was a meme, not real

>"Zack Snyders Masterpiece

So Whedon deserves nothing?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armond_White

>Known for his provocative and idiosyncratic film reviews, he is often regarded by fellow critics and audiences alike as a troll, whose purpose is not to criticise films in a fair and analytical fashion but merely to be contrarian. Among otherwise almost universally-acclaimed movies that he has reviewed negatively are The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood, Up, and Get Out. Meanwhile, generally disliked films that he has supported include G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Jonah Hex, Grown Ups, and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, the latter of which he indicated as being a better gay-themed film than Brokeback Mountain.

He is ABSOLUTELY a troll.

Why does this guy still have a job? He's been a known troll for a decade at least.

Haven't seen most of those movies but I can see how you could think TDK and Up! were overrated at the time of release, and then go full contrarian into calling them shit seems to be the best step into getting attention, which is what online journalism is about anyway.
It's more clickbait than real bait.

Armond truly is the god of trolls

So did Yourmoviesucksdotorg
youtube.com/watch?v=1pIh0k7dSEM

>Spends the entire review insulting Nolan

Not even DC fanboys can defend him.

>There Will Be Blood
okay, I thought he was just a contrarian cunt at first but There Will be Blood is genuinely one of the worst movie I've ever seen. I may have to give him more credit.

>ready-made comic-book audience
That doesn't exist.

He and chris chans brother are smart guys then. Toy story three sucked

Yeah. Seems like an odd thing to say.

They were both bad films but man of steel was worse than bvs.