C.B. Cebulski is Marvel's new editor-in-chief

nytimes.com/2017/11/17/books/marvel-entertainment-names-new-editor-in-chief.html?_r=1

>Marvel Entertainment, the home of Captain America, Spider-Man and the X-Men, among other colorful heroes, is undergoing a change in leadership. The company released a statement Friday announcing the appointment of C. B. Cebulski as editor in chief. Mr. Cebulski is replacing Axel Alonso, who served in that role since 2011 and is leaving Marvel.

That is good.

Bye Axel.

So this is why Bendis left right? Because he didn't get it despite being a good little company boy?

>Bendis becoming DC exclusive
>Alonso leaving Marvel
I-is there truly hope?

Why would he expect to get it when he wasn't even an editor?

Wow...I don't know what to expect

This. I like Cebulski a lot and I feel he has a strong hand in not only ensuring the writers and artists receive creative freedom, but also knows when to reign things in to ensure a strong brand consistency.

I think Alonso had strong goals and I admire his dedication to expanding Marvel's character output to include a more diverse roster, but I believe that came at the expense of actually good, long-running stories and the replacement of established characters.

I'm hoping this shakeup is the righting of the ship Marvel creative has needed for a while now.

is Alonso finally gone?
its time

What now?
Two years ago I could have gotten excited.
Now, I am without hope for Marvel.

>colorful heroes
Heh

He looks like he'll be accused of sexual assault at some point in the near future.

People said the EXACT same thing when Quesada left. Don't get your hopes up.

Why do they always look like this?

>Marvel is finally unJUSTing itself
say your prayers you fat fuck

Like what, obese? Alonso was thin.

So Axel is gone.
Many knew heads were rolling at Marvel. Several people discussed that Bendis leaving was in relation to something like that.

Welp, let's all give Celbuslki a fair shot. Hopefully he can turn the ship around.

Marvel's roster has been plenty diverse for decades user. Alonso and his gang have been taking fake diversity points for ages and shitting on the legacy of creators like Stern, Kirby and Claremont who actually had the balls to do that shit when it meant something.

Can he be worse than Alonso?

I am constantly amazed at Cebulski's upward career trajectory.

Most comicbook fans look like that.

This.
With that said, good riddance to Alonso. He will not be missed.

Is that good amazement or bad?
I've never heard of the guy.

Does he have a feminism diploma? Does he think heterosexual white men are LITERALLY Hitler? Iif not how did he get a job at Marvel?

Not him. But Grade A asshole who did a lot of talent scouting for Marvel before they gave it to a DC intern.

Combo of this and Loeb/Feige pushing the comic creative committee out of the film side of things. Also Bendis had been free-lance for the last year or so at Marvel so I assume they weren't even offering him a raise.

>C. B. Cebulski
Literally who?

>Loeb/Feige pushing the comic creative committee out of the film side of things.
Loeb has nothing to do with the films, user. He got pushed out too.

It's more like bewilderment. He's mostly a glorified talent scout.

He's a garbage writer, but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a shit EiC.

How good is this guy? Is he gonna fix everything? How fast? What will he do?

These are answers that I need but don't see. I'll only go back to Marvel when I know my money is not going to waste on useless dreck.

Not very, no, no and no.

Is that the guy from eataku?

Good. It was time of Alonso to leave. Too many 'Event' stories that were underwhelming and constantly delayed.

I'm surprised he was willing to leave his cushy job in Asia

Guy's a bit of a dick but he's known for having a good eye for creative teams and finding new voices, I trust he'll do a fine job. Interesting to see what direction Marvel will take in the next few years

>The likes of Skottie Young, David Lafuente, Rob Guillory, Matteo Scalera, Sana Takeda, Paul Azacata, Adi Granov, Sara Pichelli, Phil Noto, Steve McNiven, and Val De Landro were amongst his finds.

He scouted actually good to great artists and edited the original BKV Runaways.

>Not very
>recruited a shit ton of Marvel's better talent

I don't know, how much feminism cred do you get for doing a lesbian vampire T&A book with Sana Takeda?

>edited the original BKV Runaways.
>wrote Marvel Fairy Tales
>wrote Loners
Are the 00s already back?

Early 00s up to Dissassembled were comfy though.

Marvel better watch out. CB is a notorious for his behavior toward women. Not saying he ever assaulted anyone. But he gets drinks, makes sexual comments and advances. This might be a powder keg for them.

You know what the sad part is? Darwyn Cooke might have worked with Marvel again now that Alonso is gone.

Loeb is in charge of the tv stuff. He like Feige probably had no interest in the comics people sticking their noses in his business.

Hopefully he sticks to putting new talent on top books. That is one thing Joe Quesada did right.

>benis left now this
is marvel dare i say saved?

All artistic talent. You still need to find good writers to complement them.

>Loeb is in charge of the tv stuff. He like Feige probably had no interest in the comics people sticking their noses in his business.
He was literally one of the "comics people" himself and got some of them to write episodes of shows. Feige didn't lock out the comic creators specifically, just everyone under Perlmutter's thumb, and that includes the TV division.

WE NEW WAVE 90'S NOW!

>Marvel better watch out. CB is a notorious for his behavior toward women. Not saying he ever assaulted anyone. But he gets drinks, makes sexual comments and advances. This might be a powder keg for them.

are you memeing or is this true?
he must have drowned in pussy in China

>Loners
Oh shit. Oh shit. No. It's all coming back to me now. No.

I don't get how Alonso was such a great editor but such an awful E-i-C

It this is? Did the Mouse finally start cleaning house?

Still, even if this is the Great Uncucking of the Marvel Offices, it's still royally fucked from the plot perspective unless someone has the massive balls to reveal that the last five years of stories were all a premonition of Phoenix-Cyclops the moment before he killed Xavier.

99% of Sup Forums looks like this

Does anyone think Bendis wants to be EiC outside of Sup Forums? He seems to enjoy writing.

Yeah. In addition to being a bad writer, good talent scout, and potential sexual harassment lawsuit, Cebulski is also a notorious foodie (and a huge weeb).

>Cebulski
He sucks as a writer. Maybe he will be a better editor though

comics have had diversity forever. And like half of it was actually good stories and characters. This shit they have been doing lately is just SJW garbage it has no redeeming qualities.

Nah, Sup Forums also had this strange idea that Wilson would be Marvel's next EiC despite also only being a writer and not an editor.

>Are the 00s already back?
only if they bring the MAX line back

>Bendis editor

That would just spread his worse qualities.

I'd rather have them reveal everything from before CW started was a vision to NOT start a fucking civil war.

>I don't get how Alonso was such a great editor but such an awful E-i-C

Some editors are good at supervising comics directly and not so good at supervising a whole line, where you don't get to participate directly in making the comics.

It's probably why Tom Brevoort never seems to have been very interested in the top job.

>great editor

I wouldn't consider Hudlin's BP to be "great" by anyone. His Vertigo stuff was good though.

how do you even find a good writer? a fanfic site?

hes gonna make Marvel Chad again

He's just a lackey.

Good luck Cebulski. Expectations are low so don't shit yourself too much if things somehow keep getting more fucked up.

Tactics vs Strategy

Some people are excellent at leading on the ground but not great at managing the big picture and moving the whole organization forward.

Plenty of EIC have written too. It's a position of story power just as much as it is people power. They help craft the creative direction of the universe. Bendis was more or less already trying to do that.

>potential sexual harassment lawsuit,

Are these charges serious?

one last Secret Wars type event that would revert 616 back to bronze age status and bring back the mutliverse

Drain has some fucking amazing boobs. Takada is talented

Quesada was actually good for Marvel though. He pulled them out of a shitty situation and made them #1. I'm not saying that he was perfect, but they put out a lot of good comics under him.

Alonso took them from killing DC to getting absolutely stomped and tried to cover it up with constant reboots.

>Plenty of EIC have written too.
And they still had editorial experience. Bendis does not.

Eh. He's got a bit of a reputation. Nothing major. But now that he's gonna be EiC, he's a bigger target and his actions will be under greater scrutiny.

>Quesada
Early Quesada was a short golden years for Marvel. He made Marvel Knights and Max

Source?

He was fired, wasn't he?

But editors at Marvel aren't usually allowed to write ongoing comics and haven't been since the Tom DeFalco era.

(In that era all the editors were hiring each other to write their books, and DeFalco used his position to take over Thor and Fantastic Four. So at some point in the '90s the new rule came down that if you were editing, you shouldn't write.

In some ways that was a bad move because the editor-writer pipeline wasn't bad for finding writers, like that was where Marvel found most of its women writers. But it had to be done because of the conflicts of interest.)

>Quesada was actually good for Marvel though
That's not what people were saying by the end of his reign.

and he also live long enough to become the villain with OMD

Given the sales figures, I'm surprised the Mouse hasn't done a barracks purge yet.
Slott, Visaggio a few others need to go, too.

-recommendation from other industry pros (like Moore reccing Gaiman)
-picking them via work they have done for indies or DC
-find guys from other disciplines such as prose stories or screenplays and see if they can handle it
-blindbag (like Johns)
-

This. Quesada did do some dumb shit, but he absolutely steered Marvel out of the absolute shit hole it was in by the late 90s back to success both creatively and commercially. A LOT of good work was done under his tenure at Marvel.

But, unfortunately, he stayed on too long and his worst qualities came to the fore. Alonso was just a mistake. He ran Marvel back into the ground.

imagine having to defend Secret Empire and Civil War 2
i imagine Axel just dropping his stuff at the doorstop and leaving

Nice. Fuck that shitter Alonso. Now it makes so much sense why Bendis was running with the tail between his legs, he knew the witch hunt was coming, the mouse must have had enough of their shit.

Quesada fucking when?

isn't he a hardcore X-fag?

It's just his reputation. If there were some itemized list of shit he's done he wouldn't be getting this job.

Loeb's produced every Marvel show of the past decade

Revisionist history is fun, isn't it?

He took a company that was basically bankrupt and turned them around. Under him, we had the Ultimate Universe, DnA cosmic, Bru Cap, Bendis on DD, etc.

Conversely, he also ushered in the event-driven cycle of Marvel, which is a shame, but there's no denying that he was successful.

Brevoort really doesn't want the job, does he?

The sales figures don't matter at all to Disney. A "success" in the comics industry is still virtually nothing compared to Disney's other domains. Disney absolutely doesn't give a shit about Marvel beyond its use as an IP farm because the stakes are so low, succeeding or failing.

The only concern Disney has for Marvel is it not doing something embarrassing that would generate bad PR for its movies or merch divisions. Other than that, they don't care.

>But it had to be done because of the conflicts of interest.
It's retarded when you consider how people like PAD and Priest got their start despite it.

This seems to be an industry wide trend. DC much more famous for its writer-turned-editors started transitioning out of them in the late 90s and early 00s with guys like Goodwin dying or O'Neil being fired. Levitz leaving was the final nail in the coffin.

But it seems there is way more abuse of power in it like with an EiC or VP or President abusing his privilege to snatch up whatever characters he wanted to write (possibly the scenario with Levitz taking over Adventure Comics and Legion from Johns).

>Conversely, he also ushered in the event-driven cycle of Marvel, which is a shame,

It wasn't a shame in the beginning. The line of events starting with Disassembled were genuinely exciting and interesting. Anyone around when they were happening who says otherwise is lying.

The problem was they were basically a drug, and Marvel became addicted to the short sales bursts they created, and couldn't stop even when it became clear they had no real ideas anymore.

And? Perlmutter's still his boss and Feige clearly wants little to do with the TV divison.

He looks like a huge nu-male, the female milkshake editors probably have him on their thumb and if he doesn't behave properly boom! he'll get Spacey'd.

Marvel needs someone like Shooter to really make a change.

PAD was from the Marvel marketing/sale side of Marvel (like Jim McCann). That sorta thing is still okay.

Fuck you milkshake user.

And who else has said he has this reputation? It's not a reputation if you're the only one saying it.

>Revisionist history is fun, isn't it?
I never said he didn't do good things for the company, I said people were clamoring for his exit by the end of his mandate. Look it up if you don't believe me newfag

Good for you Marvel, trimming the fat and dumpign the trash
However I still won't be coming back. Good luck getting whatever audience you aim to get