Jeff Lemire Says Writing X-Men Was “Kind Of A Nightmare"

Lemire isn't going to write for marvel again any time soon lol

>Italian website Fumettologica interviewed Jeff Lemire and had lots to ask him about his work, including current Image titles Descender and Royal City and Dark Horse title Black Hammer.

>But also about his Marvel Comics work and how the different books… well, differed.

>>“Certain books like Moon Knight total freedom, they never gave me any notes and you can kinda see it in the work, it’s the best thing I did….

>>…. the X-Men stuff was… Kind of a nightmare, to the honest. Really difficult. I came into [it] and they already had storylines in place I had to use that I probably wouldn’t come up with myself, and I felt editorial was very restricting in what they wanted. And too many notes. And then you start second-guessing yourself. It’s just not a good situation. That wasn’t a great experience, but on the flip side, doing Moon Knight was really fun.”

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/35805-why-marvel-doesn-t-publish-the-fantastic-four-and-what-it-will-take-to-make-them-start-again.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Moon Knight was great

well yea, he went in and had to work with an editorially mandated plot and forced crossovers

I'd imagine being involved with that whole IvX event must've been hell with corporate breathing down your neck telling you to make the shitHumans look strong.

Thing is he's actually saying it. You don't say it unless you plan to not work there again.
Like Hickman and what he said about FF.

The only good part about that entire event was watching the X-men dismantle the entire inhuman command structure in a single issue.

Also the inhumans being suddenly willing to destroy the cloud now that the people dying from it are fighting back and claiming innocence was bullshit

Who was in the wrong here?

Clearly the inhumans.
As a whole, Marvel

>Like Hickman and what he said about FF.
Which was?

>Rightclops or a Cletus Kasady lookalike
pretty easy to see who's wrong here

Crystal haircut was a mistake.

Writing X-Men these past few years must have been a nightmare.
Even more than usually.

newsarama.com/35805-why-marvel-doesn-t-publish-the-fantastic-four-and-what-it-will-take-to-make-them-start-again.html
Fantastic Four isn't being published because of Fox.

Even Bendis was complaining at the end of his run. It's pretty clear that, with or without Fox, the X-franchise is just a toxic shitplace. Not only because of the egos inside the company but also because of the shit you have to deal with coming from the stupid retarded Xfags.

I'm pretty sure the writers don't give a shit about what some random neckbeard on the Internet thinks of their run. Nice hyperbole.

I'm not surprised. Despite Disney and Fox differences, Marvel will always try to capitalize on Fox's movies.
I'm surprised there is not a new mutants reunion coming soon, but the fucking triple apocalypse arc we got in ANAD had a single reason.

New Mutants movie comes out in April 2018, we only have Marvel solicits up to January.

Still plenty of time there.
though considering 2 of the bigger NM cast are involved in the Avengers crossover they may not want to reveal too much

Bandits is famous for not giving a fuck about previous chatlrecterization or events if they even mildly get in the way of his desires. He gives no f uck about xfags.

After the shit Bendis took on the X-Men I get the complaints.
Still, you are right. As an X-fag I know it's difficult to please us. But the last few years have been a massive pile crap and no one questions it.
For the sake of fairness, the x-men are not the ones that have suffered the most as a brand, at least we got x-books either better or worse.

no way, gillens xmen was amazing

>Bandits

>As an X-fag I know it's difficult to please us
What do X-fags even want? On Sup Forums people circlejerk over Morrison's run but Reddit seems to prefer Whedon's shit. I feel like the X-Men have just run out of challenges to face. How long can we cycle through
>We're your replacements get fucked humans!
>Ignore that we want to live side by side in peace
>Fuck we're dying out save us humans!

Seems difficult.
And we are getting Jean back almost a year before the Jean-centric movie comes out

X-men is a big brand. Lots of runs, lots of stuff to choose, so obviously is a mess.
At thia point I just don't want Marvel tryng to sink the x-men getting them stuck in that perpetual cycle of extincion

There are many interesting things you can play with
>self-hating mutants
>half-mutants, people with limited mutant abilities
these two ^ are my ideas, I would do if writing x

>space
>futurism
>black ops
>powerful mutants bashing each other
these are not done enough or properly

That doesn't make sense, how you become half mutants..?

Last month's solicits had a lot of New Mutants collected editions pop up

genetics. but it would be an interesting idea to explore, like, you can fly, but for a limited time, or sth

>I'm surprised there is not a new mutants reunion coming soon
>implying there won't be
January solicitations was New Mutants reprints out the ass. I'd be shocked if we didn't get a new ongoing closer to the movie's release.

That means making more ocs and x men fans hate that.

or you can create a special gas or shit that weakens up the mutants

They just did that and X-fags cried bloody murder over it.

Said weakness, not kill. I don't know, jsut whatver

The only named mutants killed by the t-mist were Cyclops and Multiple Man (and those were just Multiple Man dupes, Jamie Prime is still off on his farm living the quiet life). Every other mutant was just weakened by it. Sunspot and Rogue could only use their powers in short bursts, for example.

I think the problem was more of an inhuman nature

Alchemy died

The X men books were a mess before the inhumans push though. House of M was like the last important X story.

That's what happens when you have a million books with a billion characters going on at any given time

>a million books with a billion characters going on at any given time
And yet *your favorite character* never got a single book.

I'd rather my fave x characters not so up so they don't get ruined.

Marvel knew that, its the Xfags that couldn't wrap their minds around the X Men's overexposure.

Considering that Marvel is rolling that back now, we are sure to see alot more pointless X books featuring bit players nobody really cares about.

And people say Marvel has no editors

Los Bandistos?

They do but when it comes to editing books most aren't good due to being overworked and having no communication with others.
The head honchos like imposing their shit ideas on lesser editors and creators and then kicking back to let everybody else do all the work.

X-Men fans who are the only people buying Marvel comics care.

Better 35 F list X books and spider books than giving no bodies and sales poison like the avengers, moon knight, solo and the girl books.

>that whole IvX event
Or House of M
Or Schsim
Or Avengers vs X-Men

Man talk about a franchise that was given the editorial shaft for more than 10 years

>What do X-fags even want?
Fresh material?

I went from being pretty hardcore to dropping pretty much everything ( I'm still reading Laura and Gabby's wild ride and that's literally it. ) I'm not even going to pick something up with the fucking Phoenix on the cover. Or Apocalypse. Or any other blindingly obvious retread.

Been there, done that, still have the old issues in the longbox if I want to read them, thanks.

Honestly it doesn't even need to be that fresh, it just needs to not be something that's already been retreaded a dozen times in the last 10 years.

I really can't stand another pointless fight against Omega Red, Shadow King, Mr. Sinister or Sauron when there's never any real consequence or stakes.
And don't get me started on the endless Mystique/Sabretooth get invited to the X-men and betray everyone storyline.

Nah, they were alright on that front until House of M/Decimation made a point of making it so that every story was "Mutants are going extinct"

>>>…. the X-Men stuff was… Kind of a nightmare, to the honest. Really difficult. I came into [it] and they already had storylines in place I had to use that I probably wouldn’t come up with myself, and I felt editorial was very restricting in what they wanted. And too many notes. And then you start second-guessing yourself. It’s just not a good situation. That wasn’t a great experience, but on the flip side, doing Moon Knight was really fun.”

And people on here say Marvel doesn't have editors

Checkmate Sup Forums