"Box Office: 'Justice League' Earns A Troubling $13M Thursday" (half of BVS's Thursday gross)

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/17/box-office-justice-league-earns-a-troubling-13m-thursday/

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/11/17/books/marvel-entertainment-names-new-editor-in-chief.html?_r=1
screenrant.com/justice-league-box-office-profit-warner-bros/
cbr.com/justice-league-budget-earn-break-even/
msn.com/en-us/news/other/how-much-does-justice-league-have-to-earn-to-break-even/vp-BBF5MnK
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/box-office-report-claims-justice-league-must-clear-600-million-to-turn-a-profit/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh boy. Its gonna tank...
So now that this cinematic universe cancer is dead, you guys looking forward to any solo flicks?

Gib Superman vs Brainiac.

Nope. What there to be interested in?

Warner Bros DESERVES this.

Snyder and Whedon deserve this.

They need to learn from their mistakes.

Give up on DC, moving to Marvel.

Aquaman is promising.

Each time they've tried to appease you fuckers it's made the movies more bland and boring.

The League is dead.
Bury it.
Consider that mercy,
Then holy shit do what Marvel Comics is doing right now and clean your shitshow, WB.

Welp, if this doesn't guarantee a Flashpoint movie...

>do what Marvel Comics is doing right now
*Marvel Studios.
Marvel Comics is failing miserably, though with Bendis switching teams DC might actually go the way of Marvel comics.

>do what Marvel Comics is doing right now

But that's what JL did. You people won't be happy until cape movies are just comedies with an action sequence sneaked in.

Nope, right now after Bendis left, Alonso just got out and C.B. Cebulski is now EiC.
nytimes.com/2017/11/17/books/marvel-entertainment-names-new-editor-in-chief.html?_r=1

Gonna guess we might see next weeks Waid, Hopeless or even Ike maybe getting out of Marvel if Disney did find out about their current fuck-ups.

I kinda wanna see Murder on the Orient Express.

And next year is....uh...well...Rampage.

Name one time snyder and whedon tried to appease anyone

>think 13m is a lot of money
>slowly realize 13m is not a lot compared to the 100's of million for the budget
It's what they get for thinking Superman was a relevant character

Troubling Thursday, eh?

300 mil, last I checked.

>300mil
>not counting marketing likely
PFT, this shit is doomed

Unless it sells big time on DVD, yeah.

And maybe toys. Heaven knows Mattel needs the luck right now.

>300 million

Holy fuck are you serious? How even do you spend that much money?

>It's what they get for thinking Superman was a relevant character
>what is ant-man
>what are gotg
It has nothing to do with characters being or not being relevant. These are just shitty movies.

The reshoots. They went on way longer and cost way more than planned.

This.

Yup. Ant-Man was a funny heist movie.
GotG has been a surprisingly intelligent space opera with sympathetic cast and phenomenal soundtrack.
Neither suffered bad editing, lacking motivations, gruesome production design and the likes.
For some reason Marvel gets they are being hokey and cheesy, where DC doesn’t. This has allowed Marvel to be funny, organic and human while DC has been stiff, pretentious and artificial.

So what happens now?

We laugh at it some more

Nothing until WB gets the final weekend numbers.

massive aquaman reshoots at the last minute

Assuming its not canned and they start over from scratch.

Alternately, a Flashpoint movie.

>Assuming its not canned
filming is already done for it, but they're going to roll out reshoots for sure after JL

HEEEEEERE WE GO AGAIN!

As a Lanternfag I don't know how they're gonna make the Corps movie decent.
All will be not well.

>I don't know how they're gonna make the Corps movie decent
It'll probably get cancelled

This argument always annoys me.
>DC should be having a lot easier time
>Marvel is doing better with C-listers
But it ignores a crucial fact, that GoTG and Ant-man are not sold an GoTG and ant-Man movies but MCU movies. It's consumerism brand name loyalty and not an indicator that people are falling in love with Ant-man.

It would probably be for the better

Considering this is in the opening scene I'm not surprised.

Who woulda expected this, huh?

based Josh Weedman

>Green Lantern wasn't in JL because WB thought GL would poison the movie
>JL turns out to be toxic waste of a film regardless

They couldn't understand that Batman doesn't kill people and doesn't use guns. Snyder fucking thought that came from the '89 movie.

What chance does the GLC have?

All I want is the Justice Leauge animated series to be on the big screen.

>DCvsMarvelvsFox.jpg

That only work's when you compare it to Fox movies. DC has the most iconic pop culture characters. Literally no excuse.

They should just kill off the DCEU, find some interesting obscure characters from DC's lineup, and make good movies about those characters

>It has nothing to do with characters being or not being relevant

they've essentially butchered Superman for an entire generation. He's not relevant anymore.

I... I thought Snyder visuals and Whedon dialogue and sense of characters will create the perfect combination and the movie will be perfect blend of both.

It seems it's actually the worse of both worlds.

Well camrip it is

>That only work's when you compare it to Fox movies
No I think it works just the same with the MCU where movues like Ant-man and Doctor strange are sold on the strength of being part of the shared universe Marvel has.

It has nothing to do with the characters themselves.

Captain America is basically Marvel's Superman - it has exactly the same problems, at least - it's hard to tell interesting stories with them, because they are too good and too unflawed and perfect and positive.

But Marvel has managed to do that in the movies (basically by following the comics thematically). You make those boring, all-good characters interesting by pairing them with more flawed characters and letting their goodness and hope share through that. Donner's Superman worked because everyone around him was flawed, and Donner contrasted the chaos and crime of the city with the clarity of Superman's upbringing in Smallville. That's how you make the all-too-good characters interesting - by contrast.

DC can't do that nowadays I guess. I trusted Whedon might change that because, for all his flaws, he has understanding of the characters and he understands the spirit of the genre and what it represents.

But I guess the movie was way beyond saving, or too rushed, or too many cooks, or I don't know

Wasn't there an article that said they'd have to beat 600 million to make a profit or something

This is what happens when you premiere on a thursday

*articles
screenrant.com/justice-league-box-office-profit-warner-bros/
cbr.com/justice-league-budget-earn-break-even/
msn.com/en-us/news/other/how-much-does-justice-league-have-to-earn-to-break-even/vp-BBF5MnK
wegotthiscovered.com/movies/box-office-report-claims-justice-league-must-clear-600-million-to-turn-a-profit/

>Captain America is basically Marvel's Superman - it has exactly the same problems, at least - it's hard to tell interesting stories with them, because they are too good and too unflawed and perfect and positive.

Not really, Captain America is infinetly easier to write about because he's more human. No secret identies, invincible powersets, etc.

The DC movies always focus on how godlike Superman is, and never on the Clark Kent aspect of him. They never give him good writing or villains, and butcher his supporting cast.

Normally I agree but Antman came up right after the awful stink that was AoU which had a mix view on audiences and the critical reception is what got him in Civil War. And I still argue they should have it easier, they didn't get that 800 million from BvS because people like it, they got it because it was the first time Batman and Superman were on the screen together.

and the strength that every one in the damn world knows Batman and Superman nearly 2 to 1 compared to Marvel IPs doesn't count?

I am so tired of this, the issue isn't that the stories are hard to be good. It's that most creators don't want to tell those stories which is fuck up because what they stand for is a message everyone wants and needs to see. They are having to do what's right, even if it's not popular, even if it means the bad guy gets to walk, they must struggle with that ever constant virtue needed, they show that a good life must always be a struggle no matter what. Most creators will do that with someone like Batman because you can paint him as an extremist or a monster. It takes heart and balls to present a person that is trying to do what is right and suffer for it that isn't a nut job because it calls everyone to do good.

Does "knowing" them really help if the impression is negative? This isn't as bad as the Batman Forever/ Batman & Robin effect, but it's nearly there. DC essentially poisoned both Superman and Batman for mainstream audiences.

Can some user please tell me if DC's comic division is going to die because of this?

>Not really, Captain America is infinetly easier to write about because he's more human. No secret identies, invincible powersets, etc.

Cap is constantly shown to be so skilled and agile in battle as to be untouchable, wields something literally invincible as a weapon, and is literally never wrong about anything. More human my fucking ass. How can Marvelfags seriously say this advertising horseshit with a straight face.

Things Captain America has never done:

*Flown without an airplane
*Leaped over a tall building in a single bound
*Had bullets bounce off his bare skin
*Fired heat rays from his eyes
*Bench pressed a mass equivalent to the weight of the earth for two days straight

One thing I wish they hadn't done in the MCU is they gave Cap superhuman strength. He was always at peak possible fitness for a human being, but they also showed him working out and practicing to keep in shape. The whole "on your left" thing, kicking humvees into people, and holding down helicopters with his bare hands was a mistake on Marvel's part.

Hawkeye kinda makes up for it, but still... they could have easily accomplished the same stuff without making Cap superhuman.

Even with the power creep of the MCU, Cap and Supes are on two entirely different levels power-wise.

I just came back from the theather and there were only about 5 other people there

compared to thor which filled up

bravo snyder

>Justice League is the first DC movie I've actually liked
>it's tanking

martian manhunter will singlehandedly save the DCU

>DVDs and Toys
It's ogre, just accept it.

Terrible opening scene I admit

>One thing I wish they hadn't done in the MCU is they gave Cap superhuman strength. He was always at peak possible fitness for a human being, but they also showed him working out and practicing to keep in shape. The whole "on your left" thing, kicking humvees into people, and holding down helicopters with his bare hands was a mistake on Marvel's part.

Ridiculous statements. Everything Cap has done in the films he's done in the comics as well. Marvel's idea of "peak human" is easily superhuman by real standards.

Given how chronic it is, I think it might be on WB. They clearly desperately want their own version of the MCU, but the suits are impatient. They know that they are sitting on the bigger characters, but my sense is that way back in 2009/2010 they drew up a game plan that would see them having 2-3 DCEU movies a year by 2016. They then rush MOS, they don't check things out properly, they take the success of Nolanbats to mean thats the sort of thing the fans want and slap it into a superman movie.

But then things go wrong. MoS isn't the breakout they hoped, and the tone is a source of endless criticism and fan negativity. However, it does alright and the suits double down on it.

BvS goes badly. During JL they are scrambling to fix things and the execs are in on everything. Snyder and Whedon are meshed together to get the worst of both worlds. The cast gets demoralised. They see a cut, but get the jitters and send it back for reshoots. All the time the movie isn't out is time the execs aren't seeing a big cash flow, so they rush it out the door when the CGI teams haven't finished.

The result is clusterfuck, that manages to be delayed, with the actors physically changing significantly over between shoots (Cavil stash and Affleck botox), and the CGI studios just don't have the time to fix it.

I dont like it when people say DC vs Marvel because its missing out on the critical fact that its actually Marvel studios vs WB.

and WB is well known for being shit.

For what its worth, I actually enjoyed this film, more than any of the other DC films and more than most of the Marvel films, but its definitely a clusterfuck and if I wasn't a big comics fan I'd just not care about it.

LOL

>Movie is fun
>Sup Forums refuses with t's inner most being to enjoy it
I don't know why I came back

I thought it was cool when I saw it in the cinema.

Sounds like Sup Forums

I unironically enjoyed this.

The scene was great, specially Flash getting Jotaro'd

*Whedon

Snyder's daughter sudoku'd and he left

>When Wonder Woman gets headbutted into the ground

In the Ultimates universe, sure. Marvel 616 they have mostly kept him to stuff that is possible for living, breathing human beings to do. Granted, he's able to do a lot MORE of them than any one person alive and he doesn't tire out like real people do, but he's not picking up cars and throwing them at people.

My favorite scene is when Superman sees Flash in the speedforce and Barry freaks out even though he is still faster

No, its hard to tell stories with these characters because X,Y, and Z person want to add their own spin or push their own shit instead of do something original or even classic.

Take Flashpoint, nobody wants that story told. It makes no sense because the universe is still budding and the casual viewer has no real reason to give a fuck about what Flash will lose. Yet it gets pushed into every media because the writers get royalties for it.

If you wanted to do a superman movie about him punching big bads that can make him bleed while at the same time showing that his life isn't perfect, you could do it. There is nothing fundamentally different from him and James Bond other than scaling up the antagonist.

>mfw booyah

Hold on, I'll save the DCEUAAAAAAAAAARGGGHHH!

>mfw “MY MAN”

>that hover and smack
this is schlock kino at its finest. I can't wait for the RLM/Ralphsepe reviews.

No, Marvel makes occasionally great movies. At their worst, they're still competent but forgettable movies.

DC makes hilarious disasters that are memorable because of how poorly they did everything.

>Marvel makes occasionally great movies.
Occasionally with a huge fuckong disclaimer on it.

What the fuck is the disclaimer on Winter Soldier or Iron Man?

MCU has maybe 4 films anywhere near the low level of BvS. And that's my personal opinion, you are entitled to yours.
But objectively, the DCEU just can't into appealing to broader audiences than you and me. They've gotten women over the age of 25 into theaters for a WW movie, which saved that from sub-MoS numbers, and they should probably pursue that further.

Maybe make a better Green Lantern movie, or go back to making more Batman flicks. Those print money.

Is his mouth full of marbles?

Gotham Universe and Vertigo movies is where to go from here.
Fresh new Batman, recast Harley, just burn it all down.

Context, I know Supes died at the end of BvS even though I did not see it. Is there a reason he is pummeling through the rest of the League? Proving a point, sleep grumps, etc?

Pixels

>thinking Iron man is good.

>And maybe toys
Hahahaha, no. Not when they look like this.

It was fine. Certainly ages better than other Marvel movies.

>Certainly ages better than other Marvel movies.

Does being a DC fan rot your brain or something?

His mind hadn't fully recovered
Today at work a woman asked me how much a big collection set of the justice league action figures was and I told her it was £40 and she didnt buy it

Why do every movie-verse design have to look overly complicated.

no their brain was rotting to begin with, that's why they are a fan of DC

>Does being a DC fan rot your brain or something?
When the fuck did I say I was a DC fan? Projecting your knee jerks shitposter-kun?