Post terrible character designs in cartoons

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Simple character, easy to read silhouette, clearly the eye of providence which instantly gives you the information you need to deduct that he might be sinister, working behind the scenes, and always watching

user, just because the show botched the final episodes doesn't make Bill a bad character, and neither does his simplicity. You get basically all you need to out of his design

Dude. It's a fucking logo. No matter how you cut it, he's still a fucking logo. He's no better than Pepsimus Maximus I just came up with.

Eaisy to read silhouette.
Represents modern consumerism and its fruitlessness.
Blue and red clash with each other, making you feel uneasy.
Sharp teeth and lizard tongue make you realize he's up to no good.

I'm a fucking genius designer.

I think Bill's design is fine, but please don't try and fucking tell me he's not a bad character. He's chaotic evil done in the most one-note, shitty way possible.

How so?

Ok op, you start

I hate all completely boiled down, simplex designs. I like some articulation.

>hey mind if i do this hilarious random grotesque thing
>no actual multi-faceted, interesting character relationships
>leaves someone else to kill off the protagonists multiple times as if this has ever worked
>one-note personality and endgame
>no character development

I'm not even gonna bring up his dialogue.

Also

>For no apparent reason, doesn't kill the people he knows are needed to do the one thing (as far as he knows) that can defeat him, even he could do so in less than a second

Did Vlambeer do it better?

A logo for what?

And it works.

>He's chaotic evil done in the most one-note, shitty way possible.
True, he doesn't hold a candle to Discord.

Undeniably the worst in a modern masterpiece cartoon

>more detailed = good
kys

Fuck you she's a great character

>masterpiece
I mean as much as I still like MLP to an extent, it's not THAT good. Also she was better with her S5 hairstyle when she wasn't balding.

What a terrible thread.

MLP is still great while other modern cartoons have gone to shit

You are right that he has a great design but he was an extremely lame villain.

you realize that's the answer he expected

Jesus Christ, the later designs in this show are horrid. I miss when fusion actually had some fucking grace/meaning to it, made the gems much more feminine/tasteful too. Like they actually originated from some kind of culture. Now it's just Tumblr and memes.

No, not at all.

this, too

so you don't?

what the fuck

Nope.

imagine it fluctuating in size and shape throughout it's every appearance because the animators and storyboarders don't bother keeping a template.

Filename.

This is unironicly truth

would bang the wolf.
there, got that out of the way.

oh, by the by.

>Outsourcing your animation to a bunch of sweatshop workers yields low quality animation
Who would have thought.

>Pepsimus Maximus

Reminds me of an episode of Cowboy Bebop. Can't remember the character's name for the life of me, but he did a similar thing.

I hate this thing so much. Body positivity and breaking the mold of your typical attractive protagonist. Great, but they should at least be appealing in some way. There is absolutely nothing appealing about Smokey Q. Alexandrite, Niki Miinaj gem, and Malachite are all supposed to be freak monstrosities but they're not ugly.

The training bra of a top and short shorts aren't helping because I can only think of overweight children in skimpy clothing pretending to be adults.

One is a gun god, the other isn't.

>Reminds me of an episode of Cowboy Bebop. Can't remember the character's name for the life of me, but he did a similar thing.

Pierrot Le Fou

Thanks a ton! When I first saw Smokey Q move around it's the first thing i thought of.

Bill Cypher versus a Y.V. Who wins?

Y.V. just blows his brains out. The end.

Bill was nothing but a failure throughout the series. It was hidden behind good humor and grandeur sure, but Bill barely succeeds and when he does for a moment it's usually done via the stupidest ways possible.

You've never watched Gravity Falls at all, have you?

That arm makes no sense...

Bill only has powers when he makes a deal with someone via their consent and we really don't know his survivability/endurance.

So by sheer power level alone Y.V. wins since Bill's power is stupidly situational.

The irony is that Bill's character design, while totally unoriginal, was also actually brilliant. It led a character who barely appears in the series and has zero depth (no pun intended) to garner a massive international cult following that outlasted the show's fandom in some places by years. Because it's memetic. Its effectiveness is in its simplicity and recognizability.

>Niki Miinaj gem
Who?

>we really don't know his survivability/endurance.

This isn't really true since they blow a hole through him and it just heals right up, they also rip his eye out and it just regrows. Presumably there's no way to kill him with normal guns and anything not specialized when he crosses over. The fact that he's totally OP at that point is actually a big part of why he stops being interesting in the finale. When he couldn't effect the physical world, he was more interesting to watch, while all-powerful characters are harder to make interesting at least as antagonists with simple motives like that.

Sugilite, forgot her name for a moment.

Yeah but can he best Sans?

>This isn't really true since they blow a hole through him and it just heals right up, they also rip his eye out and it just regrows.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but wasn't that in his final form, where he had to trick a less then intelligent little girl?

Again, his powers are way to situational.

oh shit...........is that...............snas undertamale.................................................

Sans defeated Giygas so I'm gonna go with no.

>Dude. It's a fucking logo.
It's a very specific logo that fits into the theme of the show.

>his final form

It was just his real physical form which is apparently omnipotent/god-mode level. Earlier he just projected a mental form into this dimension but was trapped in a prison dimension or some shit. It's mentioned he destroyed at least one dimension so he's basically diety level and an interdimensional threat.

inb4 Sup Forums get out

excuse me

Jesus, these fucking designs.

Every design no matter how garish has been better than Smokey Q.

>tfw every image showing all the fusions is too large
Just google it to see the cohesion and in some forms grace the others have,

Piss off. I watched from the first episode until Weirdmageddon Part 2. Y.V. would blast his dumb ass to kingdom fuck

Why was he the illuminati triangle? Maybe I do not remember very much of this show but nothing he said or did really had anything to do with what the illuminati purportedly does or is. He wasn't even part of a big organization or anything, in fact he operated alone enough (all) of the time that the design is almost antithetical

Like seriously am i missing something? please, can somebody explain why the character is the triangle outside it being a recognizable "secret" symbol?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Yes I know! I know what the symbol is! But WHY is Bill the symbol? What does bill cipher have to do with freemasonry or the us government? This is my question, and i suspect the answer is "alex hirsch has never read a book"

Honestly a lot of designs from this show coupld apply. I love simple designs but hated this one.

Maybe the Eye of Providence, in this reality, was inspired by Bill himself. It's been heavily implied he interacted with our world before any of the events of Gravity Falls (including flashbacks).

As for why anyone would choose him as their symbol, the incantation in the cave mentioned a "being with answers", or something to that effect. Bill Cipher seems to be associated with knowledge.

>Bill Cipher seems to be associated with knowledge.
nice try

Within the context of the show, if the aforementioned incantation is to be believed - at the very least, within the culture that inscribed it. Look, I don't care if you want to shit on Bill, GF, or Alex - go at it, I'm cool with that. But if you're going to refute my suggestion, at least say why you think it's wrong instead of a greentext quote and flippant non-response.

Okay! at no point in the show does bill cipher adequately convey a deeper wisdom or understanding of anything at all. Everything about his character, (like everything else on gravity falls) is communicated through other characters ominously discussing him as opposed to being told through his actions and interactions. He manages to trick people a few times, but it's always quick and convoluted and none of it really amounts to anything. It does actually seem likely to me that your suggestions are what they had in mind for the character, but they did NOT pull it off

pic related

Y.V. Is a character who survives by skill, ruthlessness, and sheer tenacity. Cipher is a dumbass who only gets by with his OP pls Nerf Warp powers. Becuase cartoons are stories, hard work always innate talent in the hands of a moron.

does anyone else get the vibe from him that he was only supposed to be a minor villain? the first time he showed up in season one i never thought he would be the final boss of the show

Fair enough. All that you said is pretty much true. Thanks for elaborating. I know you don't give a solitary shit what I think, but I respect that nonetheless.

Only other possibility is that Bill was never intended to be a character with any kind of real knowledge (at least any that he'd share), but more like the guy who can bullshit enough to sound smart. A nod to your pic related. That would be pure speculation, of course, since there isn't enough offered onscreen to make a solid case of it. Similar problems to ones you pointed out. There are the seeds of a good villain in him, I believe, but I think the writers waited too long to decide which direction to take him and spent too much time trying to make him cryptic.

Still love the show, though.

all the designs in this suck
same with OK KO

I distinctly recall feeling that way. When it was finally revealed he was indeed the Big Bad, I was...rather underwhelmed, I guess. Not outright disappointed, but I kept waiting for the plot twist or unveiling that never came.

Hey, look. A Lilliputtian.

my opinion is the opposite of yours, hate overly realistic designs

Uhh I think you mean S.A.N.S.

Bill's endgame was just a shitty rip-off of the Scooby Doo Mystery Inc finale.

>turns into a gorilla

Who would win

You've never braaaped with a super plasma canon have you

>two shows that ripped off Twin Peaks
>the more original show is shit & the remake of scooby doo is pure kino
I love this timeline

PEPSI MAAAAN!

Hirsch actually gave the real answer in an interview. He was a napkin doodle joke. He was originally supposed to be a joke character that appeared only to Dipper in his dreams once per episode spouting some conspiracy gibberish. He looks like that because he was a parody of crazy conspiracies theories like the stupid dollar bill Illuminati thing. The real Illuminati was dissolved in I think the 1700s and was a relatively mundane little think tank. The Eye of Providence was used when the dollar bill was designed to stand in for the Christian God a lot.

The few jokes about weird conspiracy shit and psychdelic drugs and crap that did slip in mostly through tie in materials were a lot funnier and more interesting than the one note cartoon bad guy in the finale but wouldn't fly in a Disney kids' show, a very Rick and Morty kind of thing.

The Bill in the reddit AMA goes on this spiel about how everything he says is a lie including the things he tells himself, and he's so deeply deluded he has forgotten his lies are not actually true though he knows he's miserable on some level. It was probably just Alex having a mental breakdown or just sleep deprivation but it was still better than a lot of Weirdmageddon.

I honestly think he was intended to be a chaotic neutral character. He'd be in the middle of the struggle between the main character and the actual villain, and Bill's motives would never be fully revealed. He might have even helped out the protagonists along the way, I dunno. Like trying to destroy the journals because he didn't want Dipper to access the portal and unleash whatever was on the other side.
Which makes me wonder, why did he want to keep Dipper from accessing the portal? Didn't he need that for his plan?

No, he's an abysmal character on his own.

>Which makes me wonder, why did he want to keep Dipper from accessing the portal? Didn't he need that for his plan?
Well, if you think about it, if it weren't for Bill's interference in Sock Opera, Dipper's little investigation would've been fucked. No broken laptop meant no McGucket Industries reveal. No reveal means no Blindeye discovery.
And in the end the Journal wasn't helpful in finding the secret basement at all. It was thanks to the agents that the twins decided to look for evidence in Stan's office.
And to top it all off, the "secret code to hideout" was pretty retarded. Dora the Explorer-level retarded. A guy like Stan wouldn't keep a piece of paper with the code to his greatest secret conveniently labeled "SECRET CODE TO HIDEOUT." Fuck me.

Makes a decent space probe though

does it have to be a 2d, flat pyramid with only 1 eye in the middle? giving it line-limbs, a hat, & tie don't really make for that dynamic of a character design

hell, did something similar by being a reference to pic related, but they didn't stop there. they went far & beyond this to make their villain something weird & truly out of this world

>Bill
>Terrible design

pick one

how about both

You are right user, don't listen these idiots, that stupid triangle has a bland desing and he is bad as a character. Woah... iluminati.

Tumblr guy

>He likes the pepsimus maximus because "it works".

KEK

Well you have a point there since GF's theme is try to catch the attention of internet theorists so Iluminati fits perfect with this story.