Spencer and Locke Storytime

Get in here, and read the best indie comic of the year that’s being made into a movie. Let your friends know that you read it before it was a movie!

lol your gay

I’m gay for good comics.

Bad touch.

>that’s being made into a movie
how the fuck are they doing this without Watterson's permission

I was stumped to. I guess they didn’t need to though. It’s a done deal from what I’ve read.

>I guess they didn’t need to though
it's a fantastic mini but it's the literal definition of plagiarism and Watterson's publishing deal was brokered on the guarantee of no merchandising beyond book publication. He's ironically the most humorless fuck in the business even if he's been out of the business for decades.

I always thought it was a Cuphead situation. It’s something that draws lots of inspiration from another story, but I wouldn’t say it’s straight plagiarism. I’m guessing there is going to be extensive rewrites for a screenplay

It could easily count as parody for the purpose of fair use.

HE A D S H O T
I imagine that also could be a important factor that would come into play.

For a 4 issue mini sold to the direct market for a handful of overweight nerds, sure. A motion picture likely to gross more than Bill Watterson's earned in a lifetime? That's blood in the water.

Is Watterson still alive?

Suddenly Sci-Fi

extremely

Curious. I wonder if they might’ve reached out to him. Who knows.

Wow, this is going to either need extensive reworking to remove all the character "homages" or it's going to be a legal nightmare

>I wonder if they might’ve reached out to him
He refused meetings with both Spielberg and Lucas.

You have to give the suits something to do I guess.

i wanna fugg that catman

Damn! I’m going to have to read about this guy sometime.

Eh, the test for fair use remains the same no matter how much money is involved. Watterson’s adamant refusal to license Calvin and Hobbes could actually bite him in the ass here. The movie can’t infringe on a potential Calvin and Hobbes movie because watterson is so open about the fact that there will never, ever be a Calvin and Hobbes movie.

I expected to hear that about a few characters, but not Spencer. Nothing like a blue cat-man huh?

Use it or lose it.

Spaceman Spiff was his original concept because he thought Star Wars was trash but he dialed it back to the fantasies of a child.

>Watterson’s adamant refusal to license Calvin and Hobbes could actually bite him in the ass here
He did license C&H to some very limited opportunities (a few calendars, an appearance on US postage, and a museum shirt). Trademark is where application (no C&H movie) matters, copyright doesn't work that way. Literally every character with a name in this is a 1:1 of one of his own characters, with similar names, relationships and appearances.

And here's the important part to understand: he doesn't have to sue because Anderson/McMeel, his syndicate, can do it for him.

> He thought Star Wars was trash
He wasn’t wrong

Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent comic book and I enjoy rereading it, but ask yourself what the last time was when you saw a full length motion picture satirizing a comic strip, never mind with the creator's blessing. DC not only ruined Fawcett over Captain Marvel but ended up owning the character. The same thing happened to that Supermarionation parody MTV did in the 90s; Gerry and Sylvia Anderson sued, their estate own the rights to the series and it's been buried for 20 years.

Courts determine fair use by weighing 4 factors: 1) the purpose and character of use, 2) the nature of the copyrighted work, 3) the amount and substantiality of taking and 4) the impact on the market for the original.

The only ones that really matter are factors 1 and 4. 2 is a nonissue and courts are much more willing to forgive substantial taking when there’s good purpose and character along with limited market impact.

The purpose and character defense locke and Spencer would use is parody, which means they have to prove that they’re actually commenting on calvin and Hobbes, which shouldn’t really be too difficult because it’s clearly a parody of calvin and Hobbes. The 4th factor is trickier but watterson/his lawyers will have to prove that a Locke and Spencer movie usurps the market for a Calvin and Hobbes movie which is a really tough sell given SaL is a gritty adult noir and CaH is anything but.

Amount and substantiality of taking is the real wildcard here. Did SaL take too much from CaH for the purpose of parody? Maybe, but the movie will no doubt go through rewrites with teams of lawyers looking at these exact issues.

>edgy calvin and hobbes based on fanart
>best of any year

Can I get a download link? A bit too busy to read a story time at the mo'

Who’s your daddy!
That’s very true. I’ll be fascinated to see what happens in the coming months and years. So many adaptations that get announced barely make any traction. Look at Shazam! for example. Spencer and Locke will always be a damned good comic before anything else to me though.

I hope you read it user. You might change your tune. It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea though.

>but the movie will no doubt go through rewrites with teams of lawyers looking at these exact issues

Most of whom will say "You aren't Disney and your investors won't pay our billables on top of the CGI. Pay Watterson and Andrews/McMeel off or wait until one of them's functionally dead."

Feels bad man

Wait is this Calvin and Hobbs if they grew up to be homicide detectives?

Okay i'm interested

Something like that! It’s very good.

Oh, other useful bit of trivia. Calvin's dad is Watterson's self portrait, minus the moustache. When asked if he was like Calvin as a kid he says he was the well behaved child so draw your own conclusions here.

I never liked Calvin’s dad.

>I never liked Calvin’s dad.
he only got upset that one time ok

That is true. It’s a pretty bad strip regardless.

Calvin's dad is my spirit animal, I aspire to one day rib my kid as skillfully as he

I live in Flagstaff Arizona now so his explanation that the sun sets here is perfect