What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Fucking bittersweet bad end for jack that was a fuck you to the fans

Ashi

inb4 Ashi face shoop

Ashi and terrible pacing (also related to Ashi)

So close

too much talking
muh waifu
gainax ttgl ending
lack of soundtrack after episode 4
bad pacing
dull and boring samurai ghost

Bittersweet bad end was always expected to happen eventually. The problem was that introducing a new character created pacing issues.

Fuck you samurai ghost was the best part.

Last episode needed to be an hour long.

he literally died in 5 minutes along with his pals

Why was he so right?
Why were episode 1-3 literal 10/10s?

No it fucking wasnt. We expected jack to be happy in the end especially with ashi

fans expected a happy ending. also the whole series being undone surprised some people despite it being jack's stated intention in every episode of the show.

Honestly? It all just felt pressed for time. It feels like Genndy had 15 episodes' worth of ideas and was forced to crush them all into 10.

At least we *got* an ending.

Ashi.
Too few episodes to flesh out the character without focusing the narrative on her.
Ashi basically being Poochy.
Her ending basically being the TTGL ending.
Because of her the season basically goes off a cliff after the third episode.

Aside from Ashi:
Too few episodes for an actual narrative.
You see the Scotsman twice (Doesn't even say Magic Runes, says Celtic Magic for some reason).
Sword retrieval is significantly better in the comics.
Fanservice feels cheap.
Back to the past ending isn't exactly great.
Depressed opening never changed.

Bad pacing, wasted too much time on Scaramouche shenanigans and go-nowhere plots like the alien prison, ending was a giant fuck you to fans.

Jack actually going back to the past is entire antithetical to Jack's character arc. Jack's entire story is about him learning to forgive himself for his failures in the Past and finding new reasons to fight for in the Future.

I don't even need to argue, this post already said it all.

i'd rather not have an ending than this garbage

this deserved 3 seasons on its own. so that the relationship between jack and ashi actually mattered and didn't feel too rushed. killing ashi sucked because it felt cheap since there wasn't really enough time in their relationship to justify that decision and additionally the comic from way back had an ending where jack stayed in the future. i think jack not going back but killing aku would've been a better ending since he would have kept ashi and not killed literally every person he's ever helped.

This - Jack needed to choose The Future.

Jack deserved a happy ending, not a pyrrhic one.

And it could've stood to have been at least 2 episodes longer to deal with all the stuff we cared about.

Too slow dingus

Episodes 4-10. Even [as] knew they were shit; that's why they only showed clips from 1-3 in the previews.

Ending was pretty weak

We never found out his real fucking name.

jack

I thought episode 4 was fine

He was so focused on new shit he almost forgot to end the series.

No one was there to hold Genndy's leash and he went full retard.

I suspect the ending was sabotaged

Genndy has to be pissed that it took so freaking long to get this made after so many years and all the great show he made for CN

Try and tell me the soup episode wasn’t pure kino

Ashi should have vanished immediately as Aku was defeated, or at least VERY soon after.

No "I feel his essence leaving me.. Also, now lets go through all these wedding preperations, start the ceremony, and start walking down the isle ready to-HURRKK"

Nothing it was great

spbp

Everything.

Shaggyfag was right.

If Ashi disappeared how would Jack ever get back to the past to defeat Aku in the first place?

Yeah I'm going to go with bad pacing.

the whole ending felt so rushed and happened so quickly.

Trying to bring back a show after years of being cancelled.

Trying to end said story in a season half the amount of previous seasons.

Introducing a brand new character crucial to the plot in said rnding season to the show (a big no no in general story telling)

Honestly this. The season itself was purely nostalgia service to fans of a 15ish year old series than an actual plot. They just thrown a romantic interest and robot Tom Kenny as recurring characters, even though half the fun in Samurai Jack was there was a one-off character in almost every episode.

only 10 episodes

not enough to give us the action we wanted, to flesh out ashi enough to make us like her, or tie up the whole thing as neatly as I wouldve liked.

Its an okay ending, that didnt have enough time to be the good or even great ending it couldve been

Literally who?

Copy pasting the TTGL ending was a big wrong

This is my favorite pic to come out of Season 5.

Rushed ending.

/thread

Ashi and Jack should've had a life together, kids, grandkids, mebbe even great-grandkids, and *then* the Aku Effect catches up with her as it propagates down the timeline.

>Bittersweet bad end was always expected to happen eventually
I was kind of expecting him beating aku but knowing he could never go back to the past, I always assumed that was going to be the bitter part.

Going to the past was a mistake.

mako

He went back to the past. Ashi didn't even have anything to do with it honestly.

This was the ONE CASE where "the treasure was the journey along the way" would have been perfectly acceptable, and yet they didn't do it. Jack should have killed Aku in the future instead of the past. The burden of his "purpose" was destroying him on the inside; it would have made so much more sense, and been a better moral, for him to say "No. I make my own purpose." and buried the past, focusing on the future instead, living a happy life with Ashi.

And if they wanted a "bittersweet" ending, Jack could have sacrificed himself to defeat Aku, and Ashi could have then taken up his mantle in the aftermath (hence making an argument for more seasons WINK FUCKING WINK)

>half the amount of previous seasons.
I'm looking at the DVDs now. Season one, 13 episodes.
Season two, 13 episodes.
Season three, 13 episodes
Season four, 13 episodes
It could have used another three episodes , but the fifth season wasn't half of the other four.

they didn't sugar-coat the potential consequences of time travel.

that first point is the stupidest shit i heard

>it should have ended with literally nothing solved

Back to the past was cheap. He didn't even defeat Aku in the future, so even if that timeline magically survived, Jack just damned that entire timeline to Aku.

One thing that's really pissed me off more lately rewatching it, is the fact that Jack and the Scotsman interacted for less then a minute and nothing else happens. Like come on, they had at least 1 episode every season together on an adventure, and the closest we get to their 50 year reunion was that? Fuck.

>flashback to ep. 1 when Sup Forums thought it was so-so

I question if we even needed that 50 year time skip garbage to start with. Why couldn't they just pick up where they left off.

First 3 episodes were really good. The rest just progressively went to shit.

Methinks its his wife. She's going through a really thick phase of grrrl power and that probably rubbed off Genndy

Jack was never going to have a happy ending. The character is HEAVILY inspired by Conan the Barbarian, and Conan's ending is ultimately a bittersweet one. Getting everything a man would want, but losing what was most important to HIM.

Jack Defeated Thulsa Doom and lost the woman he loved.

For the first three episodes everyone thought it would be the savior of western animation.

Then Ashi became as main a character as Jack and the rest of it was tie-ins with the other season and rushing through as many plot points as possible.

jej

Somebody exposed Tarakovsky to Gurren Lagann. Except all he took away from it was the way it ended.

Sheeiit. So much a cyberpunk edo period new japan.

>Ashi
any answer other than this is wrong

May as well ask, but what is the damn obsession with forcing romance in stuff nowadays? What makes it sting worse for Samurai Jack is that the show has NEVER been about shallow token cliches of that type. There's no support characters, there's no romance, it was also not a comedy show given what SJ was competing with during its original run, etc. I'm not going to say the show was flawless, but it was so different in tone, presentation, and concept that the idea of a random love interest was just embarrassing. I still cringed at the forced "Ashi I love you!!!" It felt legitimately out of character for Jack to say that.

Oh my fucking God. I just realized what this was. I realized why the ending happened the way it did. I've been thinking it over since it aired, just as much as anyone else might, and I just pieced together the *indisputable* answer to the question of why Jack went back in time with Ashi:

It's the fucking Hero's Journey. Someone introduced Genndy to the idea of the monomyth right before writing began for this season and he thought that it would be what audiences would unconsciously want as a conclusion, because of Disney's purported experimenting with the format in WALL-E.

The first four seasons covered the "Departure", so this season began with the "Initiation".

>1. The Road of Trials
Obvious.
>2. The Meeting with the Goddess
Obvious.
>3. Woman as the Temptress
Campbell later gave this as, more simply, "temptation". This covers Jack + Ashi and also Jack's suicide attempt.
>4. Atonement with the Father
Episodes 1 and 2 + the suicide episode.
>5. Apotheosis
Ashi rescues Jack from his suicidal thoughts, and Jack returns to his ordinary self.
>6. The Ultimate Boon
The sword is retrieved. Aku is later defeated in a scene with no weight.

CHAPTER III: Return
>1. Refusal of the Return
This is a 'maybe', even for Campbell. Doesn't happen in Season 5, which is part of the reason why it is so hated.
>2. The Magic Flight
Ashi's portal.
>3. Rescue from Without
Ashi's portal.
>4. The Crossing of the Return Threshold
Ashi's portal.
>5. Master of the Two Worlds
Ashi's death.
As Campbell put it: "The disciple has been blessed with a vision transcending the scope of normal human destiny, and amounting to a glimpse of the essential nature of the cosmos. Not his personal fate, but the fate of mankind, of life as a whole ... has been opened to him."
>6. Freedom to Live
Final scene. Mono no aware.

Genndy tainted the show with Campbell's filth. Whether or not you shirk the work, the temple will fall if you've already bodged the foundations.

"Hero's Journey" is already shoehorned where it doesn't belong, but you're doing some extra tenuous shoehorning here.

>if you ignore all the differences, it's exactly the same!
Are you, by any chance, a regular of TVTropes?

The hell are you talking about? I'm saying it's cancerous because it's a fucked-up version of something which is already fucked up. I hate Campbell, and I hate the monomyth because it isn't real.

>so for the final season we're going to introduce a love interest
>she's as an evil ninja who hates jack
>but then she stops being evil because of the power of love
>she can defeat entire armies all by herself
>oh and she's the villains daughter
>and she has all the villain's powers!
Embarrassing mary sue shit. What was Genndy thinking?

>giving it a standard [as] 10-episode season and not something longer

That's what went wrong.

>What went wrong?
You made another whiny pointless thread rehashing stuff that end months ago.

He isn't. Just like how Ashi had Aku's powers that she used them instantly near the end? Genndy also used this idea in Hotel Transylvania 2. Dennis, Mavis' son, is a normal boy who apparently came out human and a big conflict is whether he should be raised among monsters.....just kidding he totally has vampire powers and can fully maximize them to save the day near the ending just like Ashi.

Genndy is a hack.