There are still people who dislike the Bat Epic. There may be some on this very board

There are still people who dislike the Bat Epic. There may be some on this very board.

What do you tell them?

I tell them that's unfortunate that you don't like it, but not everyone has to like everything. Would you mind explaining why you don't?

I feel sorry for them.

Get a load of this guy, being all reasonable and shit.

The redesign of Mr. Unknown is terrible and uninspired, and changing his name to Batman Japan was stupid.

I tell them I disagree with them and hope they just minimize any threads about the Bat Epic and move on with their lives instead of entering them and derailing them with shitposts.

Can I read this if I haven't read any pre-1980s Batman BUT I did read the Black Casebook?

I agree. Not everyone in Batman Inc needed to be Batman. The original Batmen of All Nations had all sorts of different heroes on it and only one Batman.

No user, the cops will be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

That’s what I did, and I understood the whole thing just find.

>What do you tell them?

You should read it.

I can't remember what all is included in The Black Casebook, but it was published pretty early in Morrison's run, so there's a good chance some of the Silver Age stories he references later aren't included.

Everything is flashed-back-to and re-explained for new readers, but this being the 00s, there weren't any like, editorial boxes telling you what issue it's from. Hell, when I first read Batman RIP, I like most people had never heard of Robin Dies At Dawn, so I assumed it was just Morrison being Morrison and retconning in weird shit wholesale. On the other hand, I was fascinated with the history of Batwoman waaay back in 2005 when Kate Kane debuted, so I already know most of the Kathy Kane stuff Grant gets into later.

You just gotta be willing to consult fan annotations/Wikipedia when you see something you don't recognize. There're so many references to historical and pop cultural things outside of Batman, that reading annotations is probably the best way to go anyway.

Nightrunner was particular egregious since it didn't match his method of operation. Morrison's version of Batwing was also pretty much a carbon copy of the Bruce Wayne/Batman dynamic with a little bit more lean on the Zorro elements.

I don't care what you say, David Zavimbe fighting to save his home country from warlords and drug runners and shit was INFINITELY more interesting than whatever the fuck Lucius-Fox's-teenage-son OC bullshit they got up to later.

Yeah, but Nightrunner was probably my favorite, aside from Man of Bats. The issues where he debuts, even if they weren’t written by Morrison, were fucking GREAT.

Outside a handful of panels in Batman Inc., almost all of David Zavimbe Batwing was Winick with Palmotti and Grey writing Luke Fox. I'm saying Winick wrote the superior Batwing in general.

I wish Gaucho wasn't tied in so heavily to the Spyral stuff, it took away a lot of the charm.

I do miss Nightrunner.

Wait, what's your problem with Nightrunner? He's the coolest one!

What was the point of Batman Inc anyway?

I'm still sad we don't have a Batman Inc ongoing with stories about all the different Batmen

So much untapped potential.

That’s my biggest disappointment about it, too. Bruce justified its disbandment because of Leviathan, and if anything, Leviathan proved why Batman Incorporated was a good idea.

Following up a Morrison run and expanding upon his ideas and characters would require effort though.

Im mostly just sour they kept squashing any chances for Cass to catch on as Black Bat

Except it wouldn't. Morrison's not shy about talking about his views of Batman. All you'd need is to read / listen to a lot of it, take some notes and go ham on it.

ALL
CHARACTERFAGS
MUST
HANG

Everybody always bullshits about it being ESSENTIAL to have an encyclopedic knowledge of DC lore to read the Bat Epic and especially Final Crisis, but you really don't need to. Whatever you know about Batman is enough.

Batman RIP is an awful story for newcomers to start with Batman.

>What do you tell them?
I regret to inform you that you clearly have an advanced case of Patrician Taste and your life will continue to be suffering. May God have mercy on your soul.

I enjoyed it up until New 52/Batman Incorporated MK.II and all the Damian clone bullshit and shit getting shuffled around; Damian not actually dying in Death of the Family.