Alan Moore vs Grant Morrison

Who is the better superhero writer?

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/movies/2017/11/15/justice-league-grant-morrison-jla/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is Grant Morrison so obsessed with capeshit

The answer is Moore. Morrison is amongst the best living writers alive atm, Moore has been a legend for decades.

>Who is the better writer?
Alan Moore

>Who is the better superhero writer?
Grant Morrison

> I didn’t like stories where the good guys had any obstacles put in their path. [laughs] The basic structure of storytelling and drama, I hated it! I kind of loved the old medieval stories where the knight goes out, he kills the dragon, and he experiences no psychological change whatsoever

ew.com/movies/2017/11/15/justice-league-grant-morrison-jla/

Grant Morrison is the best wirter right now.

Alan Moore is the best comic writer of all times

Name a single Grant Morrison superhero comic better than Watchmen. If you say All-Star Superman, just fuck off

Watchmen is not a superhero comic.

Watchmen is also not very good.
People who say it's the best thing ever are the same people who say the emperor's new clothes are magnificent.

Mark Waid

Watchmen stars and features cape characters, so it's a super hero comic.

Neither. Because neither are superhero writers. Moore is at least intellectually honest in that he doesn't particularly care for the genre anymore and finds the modernization of superheroes to be stupid. The Watchmen was a satire of that trend. Morrison deludes himself into thinking he's making this big, ironic counter culture (which doesn't exist anymore) statement so he justify what he gets paid to do so all of his fellow hipster art house friends won't make fun of him. Literally King of the Fedora tippers.

It features superheroes, but was not written as a superhero comic. Thus it's not a superhero comic.

Years ago, yeah.
These days? Not so much.

Moore is a better choice but Morrison actually loves capeshit

Well considering how much alan hates capes, and thus no longer writes them I have to say grant who has a deep love and apperciation for the genre

Its not really fun reading someones work, when you know they hated it.

that being said, they are both legends and have timeless wonderful stories

Moore easy
ASS is ass

>writers
bring me someone with actual artistic talent

The Invisibles ties it in some ways. Watchmen isn't even Moore's best work, ABC comics line is better than Watchmen as a whole. Promethea is the antithesis to Watchmen and better than it in many ways.

Pretty much this. Not including Watchmen as a superhero comic, although I do prefer All Star Superman to it slightly

> Promethea is the antithesis to Watchmen
Or Supreme is

And how exactly is something written as a superhero comic?

Jesus, no wonder Morrison is such a shit writer.

Expecting the Morrison Defense Force in 3...2...1...

"UNINTELLIGIBLE INSULTS!"

I like Morrison, but Moore is the best capeshit writer just for Watchmen. Watchmen and From Hell which sets him apart from the rest of the Brits. His other works are on par with guys like Morrison, Ellis and Milligan.

Moore is probably the better writer, but Grant's stories are better.
It's a fine distinction.
Hard to go wrong with either, unless you specifically want a lot of RAPE in your books, then you gotta go with Moore.

Moore's probably the better writer but I've enjoyed Morrison's works more

this

>takes quote out of context
Reminder that this is the dude that killed Martian Manhunter and put Batman off the table for years

>this argument again

It is a superhero comic.

Good guys beating super villains?

Watchmen start with people that look like superheroes but soon you will notice that they are a bunch of literal insane people imposing their twisted version of justice. Rosarch is crazy, hooded justice is a literal facist, comedian is a jerk that want an excuse to shoot people without being called out, Ozymandians is a sociopath, manhunter is despise humans, Owl man was just a bored young man that don't want to "play hero" anymore.

Moore no question

Then why don't people on this board consider Image to be a capeshit company?

So neither Hickmans avengers is capeshit.

So a story arc in which a villains wins is by default no longer capeshit?

Mark Waid went insane after Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come was his Magnum Opus

>Frank Miller
>Good
Hahahahahahahahaha
He was only ok on Daredevil, the rest of his stuff is not good. Don't get me started on how terrible his art is.

Watchmen is intro to comics garbage

I can't name one Moore book without rape or implied rape honestly. What the fuck is up with the guy?

>hooded justice

who?

Congrats on making the dumbest fucking post in the thread you fedora tipping retard

I haven't read a ton of his work but this quote doesn't really fit the stuff I've read at all, huh. I guess the context is him talking about how he used to be or something?

Grant Morrison by far.

Moore was good when he started but his bitterness starts to shine through as his career goes on, until it became nothing but self indulgent garbage. His most recent work has been prose but he always manages to put in paragraphs about how much he hates comic books now, which shows how broken he really is. The only reason people suck his dick today is because Watchmen is the only comic they've ever read.

Meanwhile Morrison always brings a feeling of exuberance to his work. Even when its uneven Morrison's attitude carries it.

Irredeemable and Incorruptible are better cape comics than Kingdom Come.

Why is Alan Moore so bitter? And I mean before the whole Watchman deal

Miller's art is a good pleb filter. Congrats on being a pleb.

Mark Waid is just a slightly better Geoff Johns. He's not half as good as either Morrison or Moore.

that's a ridiculously narrow definition for "superhero comic". what the hell do you call comics about superheros that don't follow that arbitrarily decided path? and do stories with no super heroes at all that still have "good guys beating super villains" still count as superhero comics?

labels cease being useful in a discussion when you redefine them based on how you think they should be instead of how they're actually used.

a superhero comic is a comic about superheros. yeah, it's really that simple.

What are the best comics from both? I don't read much cape stuff.

I've read watchmen and swamp thing from moore.
Only morrison I've read is invisibles.

Who are your top 5 writers Sup Forums?
Mine are (in order):
>Morrison (after I grew out of my Watchmen phase, it was literally the only comic I had read, I started to appreciate comics because of him)
>Milligan
>Moore
>Gailman
>Peter David

And favorite for turn-off-your-brain fun writers are Lemire, Parker, and Ellis

A lot of is because he likes cape comics, look at tom armstrong as proof. The issue isn't capes but the practices of the big 2 which holds back comics.

Vol.1 of Animal Man
Doom Patrol
The Invisibles - I've only read the first two vols but they were amazing
SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY - READ THIS

V for Vendetta
From Hell

Alan Moore, because he actually gives his comics an ending.

oh shit I've read V for Vendetta too, forgot that was him.

thanks for the recs, I'll get started on Doom patrol next cause I always hear about it being out there.

I don't think he hates superheroes as a whole as much as he hates fandoms and their resistance to change or evolution in characters and stories. He never wrote any superhero particularly poorly when writing them, he just couldn't tell the stories he truly wanted to tell because it would've upended the communal sandbox. And we know that can't be done in mainstream superhero comics. People take his curmudgeonly looks and brusque/satirical statements to mean that he's some bitter old shit, when really, he just doesn't like stagnant corporatism, and thinks that most films based on his work missed the point on some level.
I can't say I see a direct "hate" for superheroes in any of his work as much as I can see that he just wants to do what he wants to do, and superhero comics don't always allow that due to status quo.

You're in for a good time and it's one of the few Morrison stories with a solid ending

Moore's Captain Britain is phenomenal. It actually set the stage for Claremont to do Excalibur later, so if you liked that, Moore's CB is an important read.
Also, Mad Jim Jaspers and the Fury were both definitively threatening villains pulled off in a solid manner.

Off topic, a bit, but was Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol worth reading if you liked Morrison's run? His run ended well, so I almost don't want to ruin it by reading a continuation by someone else, but I've never heard of any DP being bad besides Byrne's.

Good to hear!! I loved the character in Thor the Mighty Avenger and was just looking for a run

I haven't started but the few times I saw it brought up, people say it's good but it tries pretty hard to be weird (which is every writer right after a morrison run)

did you read the book?

I saw the movie

Captain Britain's one of my favorites, so I'm glad to see some interest. Happy reading, user.

Oh god, I'm kid Morrison

I like them both. They're fairly different writers anyways. Although I'd say Moore's works are a bit more entertaining.

I guess it works for All-Star Superman. Not so much for Animal Man or The Invisibles though. Although you could consider Animal Man a critique and The Invisibles a classical hero's journey story.

Morrison.

Flex Mantello.

>Milligan
>PAD
Good taste.

Probably
Pat Mills
PAD
Garth Ennis
John Ostrander
Mike Baron
Put that's more or less me finding them extremely strong character writers and that's my jam.

Not him but Suicide Squad run any good past volume 1? The 2nd volume lost me with the manhunter stuff and the Dematteis issues were completely unreadable.

Originally read this as "Alan Moore vs Giant Man Ape."

It gets significantly better.

Much better, stay for the New Gods

>Put that's more or less me finding them extremely strong character writers and that's my jam.
dis right here onlny way to read mang

>obviously zinedine zidane is the superior writer

Morrison writes convoluted high-concept crap. Moore writes genuine human stories that take the characters in a new direction.

yeah, yeah, watchmen is such a "genuine human story"

Something you notice with Morrison is that he will do stories where the heroes go through some crazy dark existential suffering or some shit, but the big resolution will be "isn't it great when superheroes are just happy and fun" where the emotional purity of the genre re-asserts itself. Multiversity was a bit like this.

Both of them are capable of writing really good capeshit, they've proven it. Moore seems to be less capable of writing _bad_ capeshit, so he wins by being more consistent. Morrison sometimes eats too much peyote and writes complete gibberish (Final Crisis).

>Good guys beating super villains?

Goddamn you are dumb

there are some fucking mongoloids in this thread.

being a deconstruction isn't an exemption

It is

About a god-by accident, a sociopath, a sociopath with some regrets and an uberman sociopath?
Just because it has a fat nerd and a slut in it, it doesn't undo the rest of the stuff.

Yet Grants stories have always very human chacters with all too familiar flaws and wishes but he is too interested in the meta wank.
This always spoils some of his best works and what keeps him from the Top IMHO.
Besides he only remixes his ideas nowadays which is the reason why has its point.

user just because you lack empathy doesn't mean others do too.

For the people that like Peter David, how's his Supergirl?

It's considered her best run ever by most.

I'm not a mass murderer, am I?

No it isn't.

You should still be able to feel empathy for a human being no matter who they are or what they've done.

Yes and? We're not disagreeing. Burmanhattan, comedian, ozymandias and rorsarch are, if not full sociopaths, more sociopathic than the average human to such a degree, that it's no longer a "genuine human story".

I love Morrison cape stories and would count both ASS and Flex Mentallo among my favourites. But I don't think he has it in him to write anything half as good or complex as some of the shit Moore has done. For example, this poem.

Symmetry becomes it.
Come to ruin our impending feast,
a presence that nourishes suffering.
All things below voice his burning name.
His turmoil offers only truth
in which longer moments live.
Let consciousness recapture the flicker it saw then.
Torch our continuity of thought now,
until that mind evaporates.
Lust after shadows in us.
Rend that lace of promises broken and white lies.
Regard our love of wreckage;
the way our heads thunder,
approaching that warning pulse and temple
of throbbing light that is ASMODEUS.

>now in reverse

ASMODEUS is that light
throbbing of temple and pulse,
warning that approaching thunder heads our way.
The wreckage of love, our regard lies white and broken.
Promises of lace that rend us, in shadows,
after lust evaporates.
Mind that until now thought of continuity,
our torch, then saw it flicker, the recapture:
consciousness let live moments longer,
which in truth only offers turmoil.
His name burning, his voice below things.
All suffering nourishes that presence,
a feast impending, our ruin to come.
It becomes symmetry.

Only if you ignore Hollis Mason, the Silk Spectres, all of the characters involved in the the newspaper stand side plot and imply that sociopaths are incapable of carrying a "genuine human story".

Supreme is meh as fuck.

>Years ago, yeah.
Trying to imply Waid was ever on Moore and Morison's level is by far the dumbest thing anyone's said on this retarded board in this entire year. Congratulations.

I don't think that's a fair reading of any of the characters in Watchmen.

Morrison is nowhere near Moores level