Lets talk about one of the best parts of comic books. Super powers. What are your favorite super powers and usages?

Lets talk about one of the best parts of comic books. Super powers. What are your favorite super powers and usages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u7HcWfa3GYU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

God tier
>Overtly specific Superpowers
>Mundane on paper but actually terrifyingly powerful Superpowers
>Cartoon Physics
Über Tier
>Eldritch Powers
>Meta Superpowers
>Nuclear Superpowers depicted realistically
Fun Tier
>Classic Superpowers (generic flight, intellect, strength, etc.)
>most Time or Space based Superpowers
>Dream/mind-based Superpowers excluding psychic/telekinetic bullshit
Meh tier
>Radioactive Superpowers depicted unrealistically
>Omnipresence
>The power of [Vauge concept]
>Freezing Time or Teleportation with no nuance in depiction
literally closed the book and """accidentally""" sold it to a dumb kid tier
>Ability to fire fire/water/ice/electricity from hands
>psychic/telekinetic bullshit Superpowers
>the joke is he doesn't have superpowers :)
>Poop or Fart superpowers

i'd like to see the power of [vague concept] done right

like, power of heart - the hell does that mean?

to do it right, u have to unvague it. what DOES heart mean? what does it mean to control heart? like literal hearts? is it emotion? the power to control human emotion?

sounds like a sissy power, right?

imagine if it got in the hands of a politician with extremist views - an asian mussolini, or an american roy moore! oh. right.

Super strength is underrated, and under-utilized

It's simple, but elegant - but really creative uses for it are unfortunately little explored. A small, lithe creature with the power to bend steel rods is terrifying, and probably very enjoyable. OK, someone apart from Molly Hayes, who already exists

I always liked super speed.

>Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand
>Strong enough to shatter stone casually
>Faster than a normal human can even notice
What a combo

Ive been interested in poltergeist powers recently.
Flight
Invisibility
Intangibility
Already high tier, add telekinesis and illusions and its god tier. Telepathy is based by itself though.

Super strength is fun. It's too bad you only see it handled right mostly in anime, and handled worst in live action stuff like Luke Cage.

If someone is super strong, they aren't going to run the same way that a normal person runs. They aren't going to fight the way a normal person fights. Each movement should have weight and power in it.

It was a good gag, but stuff like spider-man running across the golf course getting hit by sprinklers ruins the suspension of disbelief because a hero like Spider-man isn't supposed to run like Tom Holland in a bodysuit.

>>psychic/telekinetic bullshit Superpowers
these are fun tho

A symbiotic piece of armor that turns you into a super powerful nympho/satyro sadomasochist. Pretty much just Witchblade and its spin-offs but those were pretty good.

Its a shame that pretty much everyone who uses super strength in comics just swings their fists. They don't utilize martial arts, or at least more precise, skilled fighting methods, and they certainly don't fucking kick. If Superman can knock Darksied on his ass with a bunch, a kick from Superman should break some teeth. I think Spiderman is the only character I can think of that uses martial arts and super strength

I'll echo the user who said super strength is underrated because it's never used creatively. Super Speed can be fun as fuck as a concept if you think about it properly, and I don't mean the dumb ass I VIBRATE ALL MY MOLECULES shit.

You are fast. You can do EVERYTHING fast. You don't just run fast. You can do anything a human can do at an incredible speed. Imagine if you bothered to learn martial arts. Have a fighter who never runs fast, but relegates their movements to as minimalist manner as possible in as little space as possible. Hair's breadth counters from a guy with super speed. What if you had someone with super speed trained in parkour? Not just doing it fast, but the built up speed could make for some good vaults. Combine both in to one super speed combat style.

Area manipulation. Powers that distort the world around you, twist things into impossible shapes, make the ground ripple like waves on the ocean, force gravity to follow a spiraling path. I can't think of a ton of examples in media, but it's always interesting to see.

How about those super-powers which aren't, like, impossible to conceive, like Speed Force speedsters, but just kinda downgraded, but in a world like the MCU, already make you a super

Like, say, moving at Usain Bolt speed is a brisk jog for you

A guy with super speed and martial arts would be a fucking nightmare. Hell, super speedsters never seem to use any weapons. Imagine the Flash with a fucking sword.

Draw the line at weapons. It would be best to assume these are still super heroes, after all, and will follow a vaguely defined code that says they will not kill if the situation absolutely allows for it.

>force gravity to follow a spiraling path
that's not how that works

One of my favorite superpowers is of Powerhaus, a wildstorm character part of DV8. He has the ability to eat emotions and turn that into physical strength. It's literally the shounen power up ability.

fuck you it's his superpower
if he says that's how it works then that's how it works

You dont have to kill. If you have super speed of a high enough level, just holding a sword will cause most criminals to give up, the ones that don't, just give them the Zorro treatment. Gonna be hard being a tough thug when your clothes fall to shreds and you now have a mohawk

but tough thugs commonly wear shredded clothes and mohawks

which anime?

Yeah kinda

gravity does not function like that

The hallway just twists in that. You untwist it as part of a puzzle.

>palm of your hand
let's not test the suspension of disbelief too much

Going to throw one out there.

Touch range telekinetic, but don't make it punchy. Poor force generation with punches. Think more grappling and hulking hurler based, and you've gone something fun to look at.

I could see that. Fast hero uses a light blade more meant for sports than fighting and takes the piss out of everyone by cutting their clothes off them.

Something I do like about anime (and hate sometimes) is that they often make every power an "Iceman" power; an ability that seems just normal at first but quickly snowballs into straight bullshit because every superpower in existence functionally is a reality redefining ability.

You don't have any complaints about generating extreme heat or cold within the human body, punching buildings in half or running at twice the speed of sound. But gravity? Oh man, that's over the line. Nobody messes with gravity.

Maybe not to that degree, but one thing I liked about Black Rock Shooter was Strength's domain.

>whole place was shaped like a Rubiks Cube
>in battle she can manipulate it to twist however she liked
>twists a rock formation into her path
>twists a platform into block incoming fire
>can jump around and hide using the different terrains

youtu.be/u7HcWfa3GYU
Sorry all I could find was a shitty AMV

How do you even stop a person who only needs to phase in his point of attack to get you? Just the tips of his fingers alone in phase and that's enough to do work, but good luck injuring his finger tips. I've sliced the pad of one of my fingers off once and it regrew without an issue.

The best you could hope to do to him is minor discomfort.

something something rules of the universe

If someone can manipulate fire, sure, that's unrealistic but in that universe someone can do it. That operates on literally nothing that we know to be true. If that universe also states that fire is a solid, we can say "wait no, that's not what fire is"

Because gravity does not function like that.

it does if you have a superpower that makes it function like that

then how does it actually fucking affect everything considering gravity is just big shit attracting little shit

i guess that's the thing with superpowers - and comics in general

i know, , powers all screwing with the laws of reality CONSTANTLY can be annoying, but it's in their nature, and it's in the nature of the medium

yes, there are excesses, but still

There are generally accepted superpowers like psychic energy waves or dimensional travel that aren't based on anything we know either.

>psychic energy waves
using the power of the supercomputer that is your brain to emit a force directed at a target
>dimensional travel
Tearing a hole in space and time that leads to another space and time.
>gravity going in a spiral
gravity going in a spiral

Can you tell the fundamental difference?

Not really. All three of those examples operate on literally nothing that we know to be true.

Yes but we can imagine them actually working on some level. Gravity going in a spiral doesn't make any sense in any sense.

the fundamental difference is that you're too dense to come up with an explanation

reach into another universe where an earth sized mass is located in the appropriate position to cause gravity to exert the same force in a different direction

repeat until you have a spiral, brainlet

>nothing that we know to be true
we don't know how gravity works?

That isn't how gravity works you dumbass. That's the fucking problem.

Nope. Gravity does not function like that.

I would love to see some random dude be completely normal on the mortal plane but unkowlingly an all powerful abomination of eyes and shadows on the cosmic.

if a superstrength super has a no-kill policy, then kicks and punches wouldnt make sense - unless the level of strength is adjustable, like with one of those dialed knobs used in place of switches in those fancy houses

a fighting style based on superstrength wouldnt even require much movement - or for most opponents, much force behind it

i mean, when u can kill a man with a slap in the face ....

Downside: you're dead.

With a stiletto and good anatomy skills (that you can learn in small time cos you read and absorb knowledge at a speedster speed), you can paralize most threats.
Furthermore, you need weapons to hurt toughter than human foes.

I like it when superpowers have a corresponding disability, or some kind of mental or physical strain

This is basically Kat from Gunnerkrigg Court.

Ghost powers are a pretty much the perfect deal to me beside the being dead part.