What is your take on the Invader Zim comic books? Do you like them?

What is your take on the Invader Zim comic books? Do you like them?

Other urls found in this thread:

zim.wikia.com/wiki/Invader_Zim_(comic_series)
thegww.com/from-the-almighty-tallest-comes-an-interview-with-the-team-behind-invader-zim/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They are shit.

but why

They're funny and really feel like an episode of the show. Plus, the artwork is really good and many of the panels make great reaction images.

Yes, it's the best thing ever next to the show. It helps that the show's head writer are doing the writing in the book.

You know why.

You hate having a good time?

I hate nothing but a good time.

still waiting for a real response to OP and i aint even op

Read the first 8 issues and I found it fun. I dropped because it wasn't really a "priority title" on my list. It would've just taken up space in my pull.

Gotta make room for your capeshit.

Not really that great. It's trying too hard to emulate the cartoon's style while overdosing on the quirky randumb humour.

it probably works better in motion as a cartoon so I would probably give it a fairer shot if it ever made it to tv.

Also I'm finding it less darker than the original show but there's a reason for that, when IZ was first made Johnen Vasquez was still fresh coming from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, so it got heavily influenced by that.

I was hoping for a bit more of the continuity the show was building towards, like most fan have said, but all and all, I do like them. I've laughed outloud more reading them then I have while watching the show, which is surprising because I'm an old school Zim fan (god like... 16 years I think? I'm an oldfag, admittedly).

The real question is what the fuck is going on with the movie? There's been no updates on it and even Kevin Manthei seems more focused on Villainous right now. I'm hoping for a trailer or teaser or something soon because I'm getting worried.

I really enjoyed them. I read them online but then bought the issues I really liked which was about half of them. I think the comics went back and fixed most of the problems with the show which were Gaz's character as well as a few other things.

I know people generally hate status quo shenanigans, but I think the best of Zim was because of its episodic nature. That doesn't mean I don't like world building though. I just think the average schoolday Zim episodes are really strong.

Oh yeah, I think IZ was could at combining elements of both. One-off things became a bigger deal later. Like with Zim's apparent all-time destiny being fast food service.

I gotta say though, I always end up hating the guest artist issues.

"The Frycook What Came from All That Space" is probably my all time favorite episode. It set up a really unique and enjoyable antagonist.

I liked the first issue or two. It felt like it was expanding on the show a bit, keeping up the comedy while maintaining continuity of things like Dib trying to figure out Tak's ship, and Gaz developing a little more of a personality.

But I haven't been a big fan of the later standalone issues. I'm kind of burnt out on Gir's random humor, and the endings that just close on destroying everything to reset it for the status quo feel like kind of a lazy way out, rather than making a particularly funny joke or interesting story out of it.

Maybe the jokes in general don't hit as hard for me without the show's voice performance and comedic timing. Or I've just outgrown the style of it.

If I were 12, maybe. I read scans when it comes to most regular cape titles. I keep my capeshit to 2 titles at max when it comes to the occasions I buy physicals.

Same. The Sarah Andersen issue is where I stopped looking at the comic altogether.

I picked up the omni at my LCS this weekend because of a great sale. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but so far no regrets.

I feel like IZ humor had more edge to it

Ewww, Sarah Andersen wrote an IZ comic? Who let that happen?

>destroying everything to reset it for the status quo
The original show did this a lot. I actually really like it, it gives freedom to the writers to come up with apocalyptic scenarios and shows how fucking awful Zim is as an invader.

I love them.
It's nice that Gaz has an actual character now and Membrane tries to spend time with his kids. If only Dib wasn't such an asshole

Why is he so perfect?

Will that movie be more like the comics or the show?

I hope a little of both to be honest.

I like Dib as an asshole in the comic. He now feels like how he was in the beginning of the series.

Which one is she again?

Gaz came out fucking on top. In the show, the "real" thing, writers always gave a pass on her so she got the shaft. From Bible she was supposed to be more involved. She's getting the spot light but she deserved it.

Three words:
HIGH IRKEN VITALITY

the art style is a glib facsimile

and why didn't they adapt the storyboards for unfinished episodes into comics?

because we already know what happens in them

That's fair. But I admittedly wasn't a huge fan of those endings on the show either. At least not where it just kind of stops when it feels like they could have built up to more of a climax in actually resolving the conflict.

Things like Zim casually nuking the Earth with a water balloon or accidentally ending up in Mexico were a pretty good laugh though.

I see a lot of love for Gaz in the comics for being less one-note than she was in the show, but I haven't noticed a huge shift yet outside of her being allowed to emote a bit more.

Unless you're talking about the gamer apocalypse story where she just goes full psychopath.

Has there been any update on the movie? I was curious if it was like some kind of series finale like the new Arnold Jungle thing.

>yfw Gaz destroyed countless alternate realities to find the "right" gamer world to trap Dib in an endless nightmare

>she straight-up murders alternate Gaz and Dib to temporarily have their universe to herself
>It merely ends with Dib apologizing because he turned off her video game

>skoodge never became a regular

Only that it's 66 minutes long according to Gir's VA. I hope we'll get news at the end of the year.

Jhonen said a while back that Gaz is "true" evil compared to Zim "chaotic" evil.

Have you read the issue where she has to protect Dib from exploding or the body switch issue?

>has to protect Dib from exploding
Not that I recall.

>the body switch issue?
Kind of another example of her going psycho wasn't it? Taking over the Earth because humanity doesn't have more than two half-way smart people among them and stranding Zim and Dib alone on some desolate planet.

I want to argue with this

True, but you could argue it was being on Zim's that made her that way.

He would of been stuck in Zim's basement and only be used once in a while every few episodes.

>Gamers are true evil compared to aliens

I've read the first ~12 issues. They are pretty "meh" so far. There are some funny jokes here and there and like 1 or 2 issues that I felt would've been really good episodes. However, it's painfully obvious that one of the best things about the TV show is voice talent, music, and other audio cues. I've often caught myself imagining certain scenes as they would've in the show just to make them funnier.

Overall, it's not great, but as a fan of the source material, I'll take what I can get.

Yeah
Everyone started acting like their bodies the more he story played out. Gaz became an egomaniac who got obsessed with conquering Earth, Dib went insane from being inside Gir's head...yeah.

new comic this week?

i think one of the artists is hot

Yep, some user is going to storytime the whole story arc when it's out.

So she actually cares sometimes-sort of?

Yup. Issue 7 was true Zim Kino.

Wish they'd do more overarching plot lines though.

sweet

which one

Yes, better than not caring at all!

>become god of alien super race
>destroy them because they got taller than him
Never change, zim

the nazi/sjw

Oh, the little goblin girl comics?

So tsudere..

closest thing to canon
despite being an insane incomplete AI copy that tried to kill him more than once

Yep thats one advantage DATR has over other ships

It's all been pretty good outside of that issue where Zim and Dib are kidnapped by that alien and give bogus stories about their rivalry.

Also, it was nice of Tom King to write #20.

>and give bogus stories about their rivalry.

I disagree, it was a pretty accurate depiction of Zim and Dib's relationship. I assumed it pissed shippers off because it showed that both characters will be forever at each others throats and never be true friends. Also, Dib will forever lose to Zim.

Where did you get this user?

Normally I'd call you out for citing the IZ Wiki, but that's actually an interesting bit of information.

Pic related is from the trivia section.

zim.wikia.com/wiki/Invader_Zim_(comic_series)

I also got this.

thegww.com/from-the-almighty-tallest-comes-an-interview-with-the-team-behind-invader-zim/

I just thought it was kind of simple and uneventful compared to the rest.

Neato

>irkens are literally space burgers

And that's why we love them.

Bump

>that tried to kill him more than once
yeah sounds like the grounds for a reasonable relationship in he zim universe

If one were to want to read this comicbook online, for free, where could one go to achieve such a thing?

Hypothetically speaking, of course

Well, hypothetically speaking obviously, if I were to, like, as a joke, recommend a site to read the IZ comic, it'd probably be readcomiconline.to

Irkens are Qu.

Funniest page in the issue.

comfy thread desu

welcome to zim threads

Miss Bitters got her own issue in the comics. Membrane story when?

>For some reason Nickelodeon has been forthcoming with the rights to all the characters in the show but Invader Skoodge. Rumor is they’re planning a Spongebob crossover with him sometime in 2022 and don’t want to get the rights all tied up. But this is just a wild, unsubstantiated rumor that I heard someone make up once.
JOKE
A
IS
IT

I think most shippers are in it for the hatefucking more than actual relationship.

I like them more than the show

I can't help but to find that kinda lazy. All relationships in that show would have hatefucking based on the setting. It would be more fun and interesting to think of how the relationship would actually work beyond that. I do this shit a lot with Zim/Gaz

>tfw no alien gf

He's better as a gag.

Hopefully Tak will be in the movie since her VA was confirmed to have done recording.

inb4 it's just a one-scene cameo before being blasted into space again

Dib was always kind of an asshole though.

Maybe he'll come back in the movie. Probably not though.

It's likely recording for Tak's ship.